1220: Hipsters

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jpk

1220: Hipsters

Postby jpk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:11 am UTC

Alt/meta/other/secondary joke: "You may point out that this very retreat into ironic detachment while still clearly participating in the thing in question is the very definition of contemporary hipsterdom. But on the other hand, wait, you're in an empty room. Who are you talking to?"

The only way to win is not to play. It turns out you can sneer at people you don't like without labeling them, and it's okay! Hooray!

rhomboidal

Re: 1220: Hipsters

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:12 am UTC

My skinny jeans are constricting my blood flow too much to make any sense of it all.

TomRobbins

Postby TomRobbins » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:48 am UTC

Hey now. It is totally possible that I'm not in an empty room while reading this. It's not factual, but it's possible!

Perringaiden

Postby Perringaiden » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 am UTC

The amusing thing is that its now now "cool" to be a hipster. In fact there's social groups now specifically trying to be "unhipsterish" because of it. Which makes them hipsters.

DBPZ

Postby DBPZ » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:24 am UTC

When I heard her singing "we make the hipsters fall in love" the first time, I thought that it was hamster and it made perfect sense.
Last edited by DBPZ on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 am UTC

jpk wrote:Alt/meta/other/secondary joke: "You may point out that this very retreat into ironic detachment while still clearly participating in the thing in question is the very definition of contemporary hipsterdom. But on the other hand, wait, you're in an empty room. Who are you talking to?"
I'm not in an empty room, because I'm in it! Also, this is who I'm talking to.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:04 am UTC

I don't seem to fit the profile. I heard people complaining about the use of the word hipster before I ever heard someone identified as a hipster.

(Flyover country often screws up the curve for social phenomenon.)

ToomanyUIDs

Postby ToomanyUIDs » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:14 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:I don't seem to fit the profile. I heard people complaining about the use of the word hipster before I ever heard someone identified as a hipster.

(Flyover country often screws up the curve for social phenomenon.)

Me as well. I heard people moaning about hipsters long before I found out what one allegedly is. At least 6 years ago, I'd say.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Yeah, I was complaining about hipsters way before it was cool.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Whenever a music festival lineup is released it causes a lot of conversation of facebook. Generally though, I find that there are more posts complaining about people talking about the lineup than there are posts of people actually talking about the lineup.

So yeah. That's kind of relevant.

Tass

Postby Tass » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:04 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Yeah, I was complaining about hipsters way before it was cool.

Win

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

The only thing that bothers me about hipsters is that a lot of them claim to be poets/writers, and hardly any of them actually write. I rarely encounter hipsters in settings other than literature classes and poetry readings, so I usually only deal with the ones who really are writing something.

I wouldn't want to be a hipster. They seem empty. But that doesn't bother me, since hipsters don't recruit.
Last edited by WriteBrainedJR on Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 pm UTC

I don't understand... What's wrong with hipsters?

**Edit**
NSFW if your work is particularly prudish
Last edited by Whizbang on Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:59 am UTC

I'm too hipster for the hipster label.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 am UTC

Well, I was sorta bemused by some of the comments here, so I googled "hipster". Imagine my surprise when I found lots of hits talking about it being some new 1990s phenomenon. Huh?

So I went to google ngram, and sure 'nuff, it said the term first arose in the early 1949s, then took off in 1955, with a peak at 1960. Usage has fluctuated since then, but never reached that peak. Some of the peaks may be due to the Walmart usage..

So it's yet another case of something being "reinvented" many times by people who have no idea that it's an old idea. Some of the usages here agree with the meaning I learned back in the 60s (which I do remember, so I suppose I wasn't really there, though my birth certificate says I was ;-). Other usages seem just strange. I get the impression that it's another one of those vague, fuzzy insult words that no longer has any real meaning other than "I don't approve of these people, whoever they are." Y'know, sorta like "communist", "banjo player", "terrorist", etc.

Actually, several of my best friends play banjo. I also have some friends that I thought were hipsters, but according to the apparent 21st-century definitions, I'm not so sure they qualify any more.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:04 am UTC

It's really dependent on what one means by hipsters. I'm sure the term varies from area to area and some differences in definition are more pronounced than others.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

madaco

Postby madaco » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:29 am UTC

If no one makes a graph in response to this one, the little blip would probably unblip right back down.
I could show you with a graph, but that would make the graph inaccurate.
also the nits on this graph are a little odd maybe?

I assume there aren't many graphs about this (although that might change), so I am guessing the height of the last label part thingy is relatively small.

So, if it isn't a exponential or anything graph, that would mean that not many "hipsters" exist?

also, why does after a certain point the number (or proportion? ) of hipsters stay constant.
That seems strange to me.
I found my old forum signature to be awkward, so I'm changing it to this until I pick a better one.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:13 am UTC

jc wrote:

Well, I was sorta bemused by some of the comments here, so I googled "hipster". Imagine my surprise when I found lots of hits talking about it being some new 1990s phenomenon. Huh?

So I went to google ngram, and sure 'nuff, it said the term first arose in the early 1949s, then took off in 1955, with a peak at 1960. Usage has fluctuated since then, but never reached that peak. Some of the peaks may be due to the Walmart usage..

So it's yet another case of something being "reinvented" many times by people who have no idea that it's an old idea. Some of the usages here agree with the meaning I learned back in the 60s (which I do remember, so I suppose I wasn't really there, though my birth certificate says I was ;-). Other usages seem just strange. I get the impression that it's another one of those vague, fuzzy insult words that no longer has any real meaning other than "I don't approve of these people, whoever they are." Y'know, sorta like "communist", "banjo player", "terrorist", etc.

Actually, several of my best friends play banjo. I also have some friends that I thought were hipsters, but according to the apparent 21st-century definitions, I'm not so sure they qualify any more.

Of course the meaning of the word hipster shifts, for the same reason why the meaning of the word modern shifts.

And while it may be an old term, its pejorative use is a recent thing.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:41 am UTC

I've never really cared much for whether something was popular or not. Well ok, as a little kid I thought that popular things must suck because popular people all sucked, but I outgrew that fairly early when Jurassic Park became immensely popular and totally did not suck, and thenceforth just liked whatever I liked regardless of whether it was mainstream or rebellious or whatever to like it.

When I first started hearing people talking about "hipsters", the general impression I got was that it meant people like me, and I considered adopting the label. However it quickly became apparent that the people getting labelled thus, or applying it to themselves, were intent on forging a whole fashion trend and subculture based entirely around only being into things that aren't very popular, thus still allowing popular trends to dictate their choices by negation.

So I decided that hipsters are too mainstream for me.

I'm not sure what that makes me now.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

d2ydx2

Postby d2ydx2 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Does it bother anyone else that the y-axis is not labeled? And as we all know, failure to label your axes is a legitimate reason to end a relationship.

Danno81

Woah there!

Postby Danno81 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:47 am UTC

Hey, don't take the pee out of my 1930's camera I used to photograph your big party whilst putting on a serious face as if it isn't ridiculous! Don't you know I belong in the 'vintage' era that existed 70 to 30 years before I was born because it was a romantic era where everything was perfect. I am far more profound than you could ever understand as well!

In all honesty of the people you could call 'hipsters' that I've known, some have been complete (offensive swears) and some decent. One was a superioristic pain the bum but when he reached his late 20s stopped being so much. Of all the non-hipsters I know the ratio of douches is probably about the same, just they display it in different ways.

It doesn't stop the way you show your twatishness being any less twatty though!

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

"But on the other hand, wait, you're in an empty room. Who are you talking to?"

This is not a comment.

AlexTheSeal

Postby AlexTheSeal » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:I don't understand... What's wrong with hipsters?

Danger, Will Robinson! That link's NSFW (if your W is particularly prudish).

Code: Select all

10 REM WORLD'S SMALLEST ADVENTURE GAME
20 PRINT "YOU ARE IN A CAVE (N, S, E, W)? ";
30 INPUT A$
40 GOTO 10

Lulled to sleep by the one-hertz chuckle of Linux logfile writes since 1997.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:

Amended original post.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

AlexTheSeal wrote:

prudish? rather, islamic fundamentalist.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

d2ydx2 wrote:Does it bother anyone else that the y-axis is not labeled? And as we all know, failure to label your axes is a legitimate reason to end a relationship.

It's labeled "How often I see...", but the writing doesn't conform to the usual rotated text norm. I saw this first used by a group of underground statisticians in a café tucked away on the side streets of Praha (capital of Bohemia) just after the Velvet Revolution. You've never heard of the place.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:I saw this first used by a group of underground statisticians in a café tucked away on the side streets of Praha (capital of Bohemia) just after the Velvet Revolution. You've never heard of the place.

Try me =P

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:I saw this first used by a group of underground statisticians in a café tucked away on the side streets of Praha (capital of Bohemia) just after the Velvet Revolution. You've never heard of the place.

Try me =P

Hmm, Klear as a kind of geeky Bohemian. I'm trying to add a goatee to my mental picture.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 am UTC

You may point out that this very retreat into ironic detachment while still clearly participating in the thing in question is the very definition of contemporary hipsterdom. But on the other hand, wait, you're in an empty room. Who are you talking to?
I'll have you know that my walls are very good listeners and I talk to them all the time and they reflect my very good taste in obscure music. Mostly only when I play that music. The rest of the time they just reflect daylight.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:15 am UTC

I have never heard of hipsters as discussed here.
Jackpot777 wrote:
d2ydx2 wrote:Does it bother anyone else that the y-axis is not labeled? And as we all know, failure to label your axes is a legitimate reason to end a relationship.

It's labeled "How often I see...", but the writing doesn't conform to the usual rotated text norm. I saw this first used by a group of underground statisticians in a café tucked away on the side streets of Praha (capital of Bohemia) just after the Velvet Revolution. You've never heard of the place.
I have heard of Bohemia though. My piccolo was made there in Graslitz (sp?). I like talking about my piccolo and where it came from.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

tarry

Postby tarry » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:26 am UTC

madaco wrote:
also, why does after a certain point the number (or proportion? ) of hipsters stay constant.

Because at a certain point, we all become hipsters.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 am UTC

tarry wrote:
madaco wrote:

Because at a certain point, we all become hipsters.
Until a hipster walks past and says "I'm out of here. It's too hipster." Thus beginning our desire to search space, because Earth's too mainstream at this point.

Lenoxus

Postby Lenoxus » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Another subculture that I've always heard more complaints and jokes about is emos.

I'm starting to feel about hipsters and emos the way Josh Fruhlinger feels about fruitcake:

I don’t believe that fruitcake actually exists. I suppose there are still physical fruitcakes here and there, but I think those real-world manifestations of this traditional holiday treat are hugely outnumbered by jokes about their inedibility, told by and laughed at by an audience that for the most part has never seen one.

The hipster one is especially complex, because so much of hipsterdom seems to be about self-consciousness, plus the art of honing in on trends that are trendy without being too trendy. An interesting connection has been made between this and the classic behavior of "nouveau riche" vs "old money"; the nouveau riche wears tons of fancy jewlery to signal "I'm rich!", while the old money dresses more conservatively to counter-signal "I'm the real deal; my status is so good that I don't need fancy signals."

Likewise, hipsters wear nerdy glasses and such to signal that they're cooler than cool. It's like the peacock's tail, which tells all the peahens "This thing is really awful for genetic fitness. It's like a neon sign to predators. So either it's a miracle I'm alive, or I've got some excellent abilities that make up for it." I say this as someone who wore those thick glasses until recently. I'm neurotic about self-image. Maybe I just wanted to signal neuroticism? I dunno.

Anyway, when people claim not to care about popularity and/or trendiness, I'm a little skeptical. Even if you're a quasi-hermit, you'll still have that little part of your mind going "What does the tribe think of me? What are the correct behaviors that will win me the tribe's approval?" Not that I'm calling everyone a robot of their genes. Just saying that if you don't care, you're either a bit lucky in some way, or you put in work to ensure it. Like if you're someone who never gets sick, it's not because you're never in the mood to get sick; you either have good genes, or good habits, or something else.

EDIT: Link not quite fitting

ToomanyUIDs

Postby ToomanyUIDs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

I just remembered this Manly Guys Doing Manly Things comic which seems relevant to this XKCD: http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archi ... ncredibles . I'm not sure if it's OK to embed images, so I''ll just put the link.

Also, along the lines of what jc mentions above, when I first heard about people complaining about hipsters, my first thought was "Didn't realise there were still any beatniks about." Was a while before someone explained modern hipsters aren't quite the same thing as beatnicks.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”