1238: "Enlightenment"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1238: "Enlightenment"

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Alt Text:"But the rules of writing are like magic spells. If you never acquire them, then not using them says nothing."
People simply need to learn to not care about what people think of them and their opinions. Jon Lajoie said it best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wS5xOZ7Rq8
Secondly, it's "your" not "you're." You do not want the grammar nazis after you.

rhomboidal

Re: 1238: "Enlightenment"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:07 am UTC

"And being an asshole leads to posting drunken YouTube comments."

maztec

Postby maztec » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Secondly, it's "your" not "you're." You do not want the grammar nazis after you.

That would be the point of the comic . . .

you're = your
idea's = ideas
their = they're
definately = definitely

Just to get you started.

Covarr

Postby Covarr » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:24 am UTC

This comic made me want to throw my computer screen out a window until I figured out it was on purpose.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Covarr wrote:This comic made me want to throw my computer screen out a window until I figured out it was on purpose.

This is Randall proving to all of us that he still wins.

I feel like this comic has subtext besides just grammatical fights. But grammatical fights are probably a part of it.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:33 am UTC

I heard you're idea's and their definately good.

Me ready

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:55 am UTC

I my eyes literally burned upon seeing this comic. But it begs the question: is there anyway it could get worse? Because one could think of alot of ways to annoy gramatically sensitive people.

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:57 am UTC

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:59 am UTC

Shouldn't it be "I herd you're idea's"?
And that I at the beginning should definitely be lowercase.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
I'm cool, just look at my sunglasses. 8-)
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Freiberg

Postby Freiberg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:14 am UTC

Covarr wrote:This comic made me want to throw my computer screen out a window until I figured out it was on purpose.

I'm still wondering whether the missing apostrophes in the last frame are deliberate or not.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 am UTC

I herd you're idea's and there defiantely good.

Whoops....

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:43 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:People simply need to learn to not care about what people think of them and their opinions.

Like racists? And sexual harassers?

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 am UTC

willpellmn wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:People simply need to learn to not care about what people think of them and their opinions.

Like racists? And sexual harassers?
I'm limiting my scope to those on the internet. Outside the internet is a much more personal affair, but as far as being on the internet, yes, including those people.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:08 am UTC

brenok wrote:I my eyes literally burned upon seeing this comic. But it begs the question: is there anyway it could get worse? Because one could think of alot of ways to annoy gramatically sensitive people.

You made me twitch so hard I almost missed the "literally". Good show.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:26 am UTC

Is the ponytailed character in the first two frames floating in some kind of grammatical transcendental enlightenment or is it just a perspective thing?

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 am UTC

Does this strip has a punchline somewear or is it intensionally ambiguous?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:50 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Does this strip has a punchline somewear or is it intensionally ambiguous?
the jimmies will be rustled today.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Im redy four enlitanment.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Viltris

Postby Viltris » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:03 am UTC

I heard you're idea's and their definately good.

Yep, let's do this!

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 am UTC

The guys at explainxkcd can't manage to type out the transcript.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 am UTC

That grinding noise you hear is my teeth.

("Former" English major here.)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 am UTC

Does an internet asshole have randall nature?

LoopyChew

Postby LoopyChew » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 am UTC

i herd yore idea's n their defiantly *explodes*

I think one of the few things that I enjoy because of the bad spelling/grammar is Crimer Show (crimershow on twitter--apparently I can't post URLs in any form here). While the bad spelling/grammar here is done well, Crimer has it down to an art.

rivulatus

Postby rivulatus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:22 am UTC

Randel proving that when it comes to trolling masses of people he is still one of the best there is.

Proved by my visually obvious twitch on my first reading of the comic, even though I knew it wwas going to troll me like that.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:24 am UTC

Freiberg wrote:

I'm still wondering whether the missing apostrophes in the last frame are deliberate or not.

Doesnt look like theres anything missing to me.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:48 am UTC

Is the girl levitating?

Because if enlightenment allows you to do that, I'd be willing to make a few spelling msitakes.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

obfpen

Postby obfpen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:51 am UTC

Let's try this kind of argument in a parallel situation:
xkcd (parallelized) wrote:Sage 1: "To achieve mobility enlightenment, you must free yourself from wanting wheelchair ramps."
Seeker: "But wheelchair ramps keep me mobile!"

Sage 1: "No. Wheelchair ramps lead to the high ground. The high ground leads to a sense of moral superiority. A sense of moral superiority leads to being an asshole."
Seeker: "Um, actually they just help me get about, but whatever. How do I begin?"

Sage 1: "Admit the following: Everyone should just use stairs, because they're easy to build and nobody who's truly enlightened has a problem with them."
*smash* *roll*

Sage 1: "She wasn't ready."
Sage 2: "It's a difficult path."
Seeker: (from afar) "Especially if you're in a wheelchair."

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:54 am UTC

maztec wrote:That would be the point of the comic . . .

you're = your
idea's = ideas
their = they're
definately = definitely

Just to get you started.

Oh. Did not notice. I thought it was about being too insecure to compliment another person's ideas. Which makes sense and might still be part of it. The implied strong connection between insecurity and grammar sensitivity I do not get, unless they are simply trolling her (and Randall, us).

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:09 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Freiberg wrote:

Clearly they're so enlightened that they are able to omit the apostrophes even in speech.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

nigenet
Location: Sunny Buxton, Derbyshire, UK (Where the water comes from)

Postby nigenet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Is the girl levitating?

Because if enlightenment allows you to do that, I'd be willing to make a few spelling msitakes.

Those who would give up essential grammar for a little levitation deserve neither grammar nor levitation
"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of him..."

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
Freiberg wrote:

Clearly they're so enlightened that they are able to omit the apostrophes even in speech.

That takes skill. Next thing you know they'll be saying ImageImageImage ImageImage which doesn't even require apostrophes in the first place.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:29 am UTC

obfpen wrote:Let's try this kind of argument in a parallel situation:
xkcd (parallelized) wrote:Sage 1: "To achieve mobility enlightenment, you must free yourself from wanting wheelchair ramps."
Seeker: "But wheelchair ramps keep me mobile!"

Sage 1: "No. Wheelchair ramps lead to the high ground. The high ground leads to a sense of moral superiority. A sense of moral superiority leads to being an asshole."
Seeker: "Um, actually they just help me get about, but whatever. How do I begin?"

Sage 1: "Admit the following: Everyone should just use stairs, because they're easy to build and nobody who's truly enlightened has a problem with them."
*smash* *roll*

Sage 1: "She wasn't ready."
Sage 2: "It's a difficult path."
Seeker: (from afar) "Especially if you're in a wheelchair."

Do you actually believe these are parallel situations?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 am UTC

Freiberg wrote:

Could be a case of extremely bad keming.

obfpen

Postby obfpen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:15 am UTC

not baby Newt wrote:The implied strong connection between insecurity and grammar sensitivity I do not get, unless they are simply trolling her (and Randall, us).

Sadly there are people, insecure about their own self-worth, who feel better about themselves by belittling others. Many of the people who correct others' grammar on the internet do seem to fall into this category.

But plenty of people care about grammar and stuff, and are insecure, yet aren't assholes. And it is not completely clear whether the seeker of enlightenment in this comic is in the asshole category. It may just be that she cares about how language is used, thinking it is important to express oneself clearly to aid the understanding of those listening/reading, and is then unable to bring herself to deliberately write something badly; as she flees, she accidentally knocks the laptop over. In this case she is right to run. The enlightenment on offer (not caring how well others can understand you) is false.

Or it could be that she deliberately smashes the laptop rather than "degrade herself" by writing the same way as the people she so often publicly derides. Although I suspect this was the intention in the comic, I favour the alternative as (in my experience anyway) self-important people rarely seek out enlightenment from others.

blowfishhootie wrote:Do you actually believe these are parallel situations?

Yes. Not caring about how well you express yourself and expecting everyone else to deal with it has the same type of rudeness as expecting everyone to just use the stairs. In each case, the root of the problem is not necessarily a conscious choice to harm, but a lack of basic consideration for the needs of others. I'm not going to make any comments about equality of the situations as that would be difficult to assess accurately, but I do think they are parallel.

Providing ramps benefits those who are unable to use the stairs, such as wheelchair users and people with restricted leg movements. The disability label can also be applied to people who have difficulty in understanding language, such as dyslexics. Clear communication benefits those people. (I can speak from personal experience that the language of those who want to get ideas out of their head - who clearly understand themselves but aren't considering their audience - is far more demanding than the language of people who want to get ideas into the heads of others, and think about the best way to achieve that goal.)

And in both cases, steps taken with the intention of providing access to those labelled disabled can also benefit those not so labelled. New parents, bicyclists, and shoppers are also helped by ramps. All readers are less likely to WTF? with well-composed text. So, yes, I think there's some parallelism there.

Now, that stated, I'm aware that not all poor writing of the internet is down to the lazy. Some writers have difficulties of their own, and readers should consider them too. But the magic spell argument is flawed because, while spells are rarely taught, just about everyone with English as a first language and the ability to add text to the internet has been schooled in the rules of writing. In that context, it is fair to assume in many instances that the writer is not unable but unwilling. And that lack of consideration for their audience is rude.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:18 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Is the girl levitating?

Djehutynakht asked pretty much the same thing —
Djehutynakht wrote:Is the ponytailed character in the first two frames floating in some kind of grammatical transcendental enlightenment or is it just a perspective thing?

— and it's definitely a perspective thing.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 am UTC

obfpen wrote:Now, that stated, I'm aware that not all poor writing of the internet is down to the lazy. Some writers have difficulties of their own, and readers should consider them too. But the magic spell argument is flawed because, while spells are rarely taught, just about everyone with English as a first language and the ability to add text to the internet has been schooled in the rules of writing. In that context, it is fair to assume in many instances that the writer is not unable but unwilling. And that lack of consideration for their audience is rude.

Thank you for putting down in a coherent and succinct manner pretty much the same way I feel about the matter.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:38 am UTC

In my recent experience, the most-common misspelling of "definitely" is actually "defiantly", thanks to the proliferation of spill-chuckers and AutoCorrect. While extremely annoying, it at least opens the door to unintended humour...
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am UTC

StClair wrote:("Former" English major here.)

Your self-description makes me picture a slightly alcoholic sexagenarian British ex-serviceman with a clipped accent and a handlebar moustache.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Secondly, it's "your" not "you're." You do not want the grammar [...]

I think you mean grammer?

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:54 am UTC

LoopyChew wrote:i herd yore idea's n their defiantly *explodes*

i herd yore idea's n their defiantly </explodes>

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”