1239: "Social Media"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1239: "Social Media"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 am UTC

Title Text: The social media reaction to this asteroid announcement has been sharply negative. Care to respond?

I think we can safely assume the asteroid has its own Twitter feed/YouTube channel.

Himself

Re: 1239: "Social Media"

Postby Himself » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:40 am UTC

The asteroid was busy tweeting, so it didn't see the planet in its path.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:59 am UTC

I find social media is filled with great interviewing questions.

Nix_Seb

Postby Nix_Seb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:44 am UTC

And let the ironic forum thread commence...
A man of five words

mtavs

Postby mtavs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 am UTC

I seem to recall seeing a recent comic where an asteroid is inevitably going to collide with earth, and a man with a "Dislike" tshirt comes up with a last ditch plan to stop the asteroid, consisting of a campaign to get everyone on facebook to change their profile picture to a picture of an asteroid with a No symbol over it. I'm pretty sure I saw said comic yesterday. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember where I saw it.

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 am UTC

Much stupider.

SteveMB

Postby SteveMB » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:20 am UTC

Reminded me of this story:

CNN anchor suggests meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming

A CNN anchor has asked on live television whether a meteor hurtling past Earth was the result of global warming.

Deborah Feyeric made the faux pas when she transitioned from a discussion about global warming and the blizzard that struck to east coast into a a segment about Asteroid 2012 DA14 - which is projected to pass just 17,200 miles from Earth on Friday.

'We want to bring in our science guy, Bill Nye, and talk about something else that’s falling from the sky, and that is an asteroid,' Feyerick says. 'What’s coming our way? Is this the effect of, perhaps, global warming? Or is this just some meteoric occasion?'...

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am UTC

mtavs wrote:I seem to recall seeing a recent comic where an asteroid is inevitably going to collide with earth, and a man with a "Dislike" tshirt comes up with a last ditch plan to stop the asteroid, consisting of a campaign to get everyone on facebook to change their profile picture to a picture of an asteroid with a No symbol over it. I'm pretty sure I saw said comic yesterday. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember where I saw it.

So if it has a facebook page, we should be able to divert it by posting to its wall.

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Is the asteroid rotating smoothly, or is it a Tumblr?

alcore

Postby alcore » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

How will the increasing number of hashtags related to the asteroid effect it's overall impact? Is it too late to ignore it completely and hope it will be deflected by Earth's normal layer of spam?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

People of Earth, your attention, please. This is Prostectic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planet Council. As you no doubt will be aware, the plans for the development of the outlying regions of the western spiral arm of the galaxy require the building of a hyperspace express route through your star system and, regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes. Thank you very much.

There's no point in acting all surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for fifty of your Earth years so you've had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaints and its far too late to start making a fuss about it now.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

GLR left out the part about interviewing people who intend to stop the asteroid thru the power of group prayer online forums.

Plus, blaming things on social media is so last month. Now we blame the asteroids on Snowden's data leaks.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

To answer the question in the second panel, Social Media and its associated deafening of society by dulling our minds with constant chatter is by no doubt the cause for the recent changes to the meteor's path to now align directly with earth, with impact projected to coincide with the Complete Social Media Saturation1 event which while previously anticipated not to occur for a good 10 years has now accelerated significantly and is expected October of next year.

It is therefore my conclusion that in order to avert this crisis, we must stop using Social Media until the meteor has passed. My Ban Social Media facebook page has been updated with the details (which already has a distressing 192,571 likes since it was put up yesterday).

1 CSMS is the time when social media completely permeates every aspect of society, allowing you to "like" and comment on anything and everything, anywhere, any time.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

Social media had no negative impact on the impending collision.

Feel free to talk about that bright thing in the sky in 140 characters or less.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Patrik3

Postby Patrik3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

Hmm... which pun to use...

"Olympic athlete accused of taking a-steroid; gives cosmic performance."

"Let the common comet comments commence!"

Or, perhaps:

"Now that's what I call 'Social Meteor'!

mcdigman

Postby mcdigman » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:15 pm UTC

A realtime twitter polls confirm that 67% of twitter users disagree with your assessment that twitter has made press conference questions stupider. Are you concerned that your response to the social media response to the impending asteroid impact is harming your social media image?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm UTC

CocoaNutCakery

Postby CocoaNutCakery » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:25 pm UTC

SteveMB wrote:Reminded me of this story:

CNN anchor suggests meteor hurtling toward Earth could be a result of global warming

A CNN anchor has asked on live television whether a meteor hurtling past Earth was the result of global warming.

Deborah Feyeric made the faux pas when she transitioned from a discussion about global warming and the blizzard that struck to east coast into a a segment about Asteroid 2012 DA14 - which is projected to pass just 17,200 miles from Earth on Friday.

'We want to bring in our science guy, Bill Nye, and talk about something else that’s falling from the sky, and that is an asteroid,' Feyerick says. 'What’s coming our way? Is this the effect of, perhaps, global warming? Or is this just some meteoric occasion?'...

I've seen documentaries about meteorites and whatnot that also decided to talk about global warming as if the two had anything to do with each other.

I am really sick of all of that, especially since most of these kind of things are based off the "common knowledge" of global warming, such as increased levels of atmospheric CO2 and H2O increasing temperature variance or somehow increasing desertification.

And that's why I don't watch the "Science" channel anymore!

As far as the comic goes? I'd ask the reporter for his name. Then I'd tell him to call his boss and inform said boss that he should be fired for asking such an idiotic question. Instead of five minutes on Twitter, he decides to waste the time of everyone in the place asking the designated expert on this asteroid about social media.

And that's why I don't give press conferences anymore!'

Edit: By the way, say what you will about Fox News, at least none of their anchors have tried to blame an asteroid passing near Earth on global warming.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:52 am UTC

Meh. All that tweeting about an imminent asteroid? Bah. Humbug. Nothing more than http://wondermark.com/743/

JorickHorn

Postby JorickHorn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

CocoaNutCakery wrote:By the way, say what you will about Fox News, at least none of their anchors have tried to blame an asteroid passing near Earth on global warming.

Fox spouts nonsense. MSNBC shouts at Fox for spouting nonsense. CNN sits in the corner eating glue. I hate 'em all.

Also, please let me know more about the non-common understanding of global warming, because what you described is what all my college science classes taught me.
That's my hat! She took my hat!

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

How has social media contributed to the creation of this strip?

Lyth

Postby Lyth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Twitter made questions shorter and Facebook more likely.

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

The irony of a discussion like this on an online bulletin board made me snort my coffee when I laughed at the thought.

Social media indeed.
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:19 pm UTC

clockworkbookreader wrote:The irony of a discussion like this on an online bulletin board made me snort my coffee when I laughed at the thought.

Social media indeed.

Though this particular example of social media would, I'd think, tend to improve the questions...

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:11 pm UTC

Hit "Like" if you want the asteroid to change course. Punch "Share" if you want to blow it to smithereens by means of Bruce Willis.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 am UTC

ctdonath wrote:Meh. All that tweeting about an imminent asteroid? Bah. Humbug. Nothing more than http://wondermark.com/743/

Yes. Throughout all ages the young go through an overly dramatic phase.
The Asteroid? Is it real?
Who says?

Robert Stevenson wrote about the woes of childhood.
The childhood of the 21st Century is not full of the same injustices the childhood Stevenson wrote about.
The injustices of the 21st Century are a shared experience as they have never been before.

It is everyone's Asteroid.
Those that know about it and those that don't have equal ownership of an object out near the sun. Those that know are having more fun or less fun?

What do we know about the Asteroid?
Does it have a name?

Vesta is my favorite Asteroid.
What is your favorite?

Hey! Tell Twitter, 'God is gunning for us.'
Do you think it was One War Too Many?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

CocoaNutCakery

Postby CocoaNutCakery » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 am UTC

JorickHorn wrote:
CocoaNutCakery wrote:By the way, say what you will about Fox News, at least none of their anchors have tried to blame an asteroid passing near Earth on global warming.

Fox spouts nonsense. MSNBC shouts at Fox for spouting nonsense. CNN sits in the corner eating glue. I hate 'em all.

Yeah, that's pretty much my attitude. I just love pointing out things like this to people that act like Fox News is the only news channel that says things that aren't at all accurate.

Also, please let me know more about the non-common understanding of global warming, because what you described is what all my college science classes taught me.

Man, it's late and I'm tired and I don't know how to explain to you that deserts are caused by low atmospheric levels of H2O and that increasing CO2 aids in plant growth and that studies (again, it's late, not going to track them down tonight) show that increased atmospheric H2O and increased CO2 leads to pretty much an explosion of life in deserts, and then there's the fact that record highs or lows are increasingly rare even beyond the whole "history since we've been measuring" thing (again, studies, again, late). And then there's the fact that we currently live in an ice age and it has to come to an end at some point and people don't seem to understand that...

I can't tell if you're saying that your college science classes taught you the things I said were actually true (in which case you have to keep in mind that not everyone's had college education in terms of global warming and, let's face it, there are a lot of shitty college professors out there anyway that don't seem to understand scinece in spite of teaching the subject) or if they taught you that that stuff was false (in which case, see the latter part of the aside above).

Gleedaniel13

Postby Gleedaniel13 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

Hit "Like" if you want the asteroid to change course. Punch "Share" if you want to blow it to smithereens by means of Bruce Willis.

LOL..I like the idea. How I wish we can change the direction of the asteroid with the simple like.

lgw

Postby lgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 pm UTC

CocoaNutCakery wrote:Man, it's late and I'm tired and I don't know how to explain to you that deserts are caused by low atmospheric levels of H2O and that increasing CO2 aids in plant growth and that studies (again, it's late, not going to track them down tonight) show that increased atmospheric H2O and increased CO2 leads to pretty much an explosion of life in deserts, and then there's the fact that record highs or lows are increasingly rare even beyond the whole "history since we've been measuring" thing (again, studies, again, late). And then there's the fact that we currently live in an ice age and it has to come to an end at some point and people don't seem to understand that...

I can't tell if you're saying that your college science classes taught you the things I said were actually true (in which case you have to keep in mind that not everyone's had college education in terms of global warming and, let's face it, there are a lot of shitty college professors out there anyway that don't seem to understand scinece in spite of teaching the subject) or if they taught you that that stuff was false (in which case, see the latter part of the aside above).

I think people often forget the Ice Age thing. As far as we know, the Quaternary Ice Age is still ongoing, and we're in a interglacial warm period that was extended 10000 years beyond what's been normal for the past million or so years (that's all the time we have any sort of detailed temp record for). It's a mystery why this particular warm period lasted so long, but the idea that Humans moved beyond the stone age because of this warm period makes sense to me, in which case it's not some 1-in-100 coincidence that we happen to be alive during this rare occasion.

Global Warming is an important medium-term worry. Things could get unpleasant over the course of the next few hundred years. But with a longer view the return of the glaciers is a much bigger problem.

It's also technically possible that by the most amazing of coincidences humanity evolved just at the end of the 100-million-year ice age, and the Earth is entering a new warm period, but the odds are so long that without some new hypothesis to explain it (e.g., some proof of a long-term change in the Sun's output), it's not a realistic premise.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:38 am UTC

The real problem that global warming brings for us is that we've gotten rather used to living right on the seacoast and to eating plants that won't grow all that well in the warmer climate. This means that we will either have to build Netherlands-style dykes around most of our coastal cities, or rebuild the cities on higher ground, and also that we will have to change our eating habits to use stuff that will grow better when the wheat and corn yields start to drop.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:04 am UTC

ijuin wrote:The real problem that global warming brings for us is that we've gotten rather used to living right on the seacoast and to eating plants that won't grow all that well in the warmer climate. This means that we will either have to build Netherlands-style dykes around most of our coastal cities, or rebuild the cities on higher ground, and also that we will have to change our eating habits to use stuff that will grow better when the wheat and corn yields start to drop.

We've also spent millennia genetically engineering (the old fashioned Mendelian way) things like wheat and corn to have high nutritional (caloric) yields, which means that we will have to grow a lot more of the new stuff until we catch it back up to the current agricultural standards.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:28 am UTC

Yup. In short, we're overly dependent on the status quo, which is the real reason why any change would be bad for our current situation. We lack short-term flexibility, especially in our choices of food and fuel.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:11 am UTC

ijuin wrote:In short, we're overly dependent on the status quo, ....

Including the political (liberal democracy) and economic (capitalism) status quo.

I don't really understand the figure-8 diagram in section 2 of this page:
http://www.resalliance.org/index.php/key_concepts

If someone does, I'm open to a conversation about it.

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:55 am UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
ijuin wrote:In short, we're overly dependent on the status quo, ....

Including the political (liberal democracy) and economic (capitalism) status quo.

I don't really understand the figure-8 diagram in section 2 of this page:
http://www.resalliance.org/index.php/key_concepts

If someone does, I'm open to a conversation about it.

I'm not convinced this is worth discussing, but here's what they seem to me to be saying:

First of all, they ignore how much total wealth is around and whether this changes or not. The axis with the arrow pointing top-left indicates how much wealth is stored up vs. in circulation and available to the economy. The top-right axis is how many people/companies/entities are doing the storing up.

The red arrow is, then, your basic Marxist description of pre-revolution developments: Not only do ever fewer people/companies get ever richer, they also fail to keep the wealth in circulation and the economy operating. As a few slices of the pie get larger, the pie itself shrinks.

Then comes the blue arrow: as they put it in the second version of the diagram, "things change very rapidly". This seems to consist in ... all rich people suddenly deciding to invest all their money, or something? Any case, money gets dumped into the economy, but still belongs to few. But apparently one necessary consequence of investment is fragmentation: the rich collapse, wealth is spread among more people, who immediately begin to store it under their mattress and take it out of the economy again. Then, at the end of the blue arrow, everybody loses their job and is forced to spend their saved-up money, which frees the next generation of naughty naughty capitalist to start on a new red arrow.

And no, I'm not saying this makes any sense. The way I tell it , it seems more like a variant of TimeCube than a viable economic hypothesis. But looking at just the diagram, it does seem to say exactly this.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
mtavs wrote:I seem to recall seeing a recent comic where an asteroid is inevitably going to collide with earth, and a man with a "Dislike" tshirt comes up with a last ditch plan to stop the asteroid, consisting of a campaign to get everyone on facebook to change their profile picture to a picture of an asteroid with a No symbol over it. I'm pretty sure I saw said comic yesterday. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I can't remember where I saw it.

So if it has a facebook page, we should be able to divert it by posting to its wall.

Only if we achieve a critical mass?

CocoaNutCakery wrote:
SteveMB wrote:Reminded me of this story:

I've seen documentaries about meteorites and whatnot that also decided to talk about global warming as if the two had anything to do with each other.

Well, they DO, don't they? They are both sciency-ish thingies, not?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”