1240: "Quantum Mechanics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalcde

1240: "Quantum Mechanics"

Postby dalcde » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:22 am UTC

Title text: "You can also just ignore any science assertion where 'quantum mechanics' is the most complicated phrase in it."

According to quantum mechanics, you can't know both the position and momentum of a particle precisely.

EDIT: Just realized that my statement is a counter-example for both the comic AND the title-text.
Last edited by dalcde on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

higgs-boson

Re: 1240: "Quantum Mechanics"

Postby higgs-boson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:24 am UTC

This is not the Fifty Thousand Dollar Dog.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:42 am UTC

… unless you actually understand quantum mechanics.

This rule only makes sense, if you don’t, and can’t check if the other person does.

Also, it makes much more sense, to ignore it because it contains the unword “soul”. A clear indicator for a lingering religious schizophrenic delusion.

yellow103

Postby yellow103 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Schrodinger's cat knows very well if it is dead or alive.

Gleedaniel13

Postby Gleedaniel13 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:59 am UTC

… unless you actually understand quantum mechanics.

This rule only makes sense, if you don’t, and can’t check if the other person does.

Also, it makes much more sense, to ignore it because it contains the unword “soul”. A clear indicator for a lingering religious schizophrenic delusion.

I am also confuse why the word soul relate the quantum mechanics topic. I think they are far different from each other.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:03 pm UTC

A curious but possibly related protip that I've noticed: You can ignore any sentence that uses the phrase "quantum leap", while "quantum jump" usually means that the writer has at least a minimal clue about its meaning. For some reason, the MSM and most marketers have settled on "leap" as what quantums (whatever they are) do.

An example I read recently said that a particular company had made a quantum leap in income last year. My immediate thought was "Did their income actually increase by exactly $0.01?" But that's not at all what it meant; the writer was using "quantum" to mean "an unspecified but huge amount", and indicated this by the use of "leap".

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

I'm more inclined to ignore any sentence that suggests Animism, based on my own observations.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:21 pm UTC

yellow103 wrote:Schrodinger's cat knows very well if it is dead or alive.

Actually Schrodinger's cat would only know if it is alive... and only a moment after the point in time where the probability was 50/50 due to a natural delay beings have between observation and comprehension.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

Does this also apply to "due to quantum effects"? Because that rules out large portions of a couple of my textbooks.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

jc wrote:An example I read recently said that a particular company had made a quantum leap in income last year. My immediate thought was "Did their income actually increase by exactly $0.01?" But that's not at all what it meant; the writer was using "quantum" to mean "an unspecified but huge amount", and indicated this by the use of "leap".

And the funny thing is, they weren't even wrong (no, I'm not using it in that sense) - considering that at its root, "quantum" simply means "amount", any usage is highly dependent on the specific context / expression - in this case, all they said the income took a leap in amount which is exactly what they meant. "smallest discrete quantity" is merely one of the words current meanings, "quantum leap" is an arguably even older but equally valid one.

Anyway, it's astonishing how many people misunderstand "observed" in quantum-related discussions to mean "by a self-aware being" instead of what it actually means ("interacting with anything at all ")...

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:25 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:… unless you actually understand quantum mechanics.

Protip: Next time, work harder on understanding the joke than in trying to assert your own intelligence. You won't look as stupid.

How do you find out if someone is an atheist on the Internet?
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:How do you find out if someone is an atheist on the Internet?
You ask them.

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote: Anyway, it's astonishing how many people misunderstand "observed" in quantum-related discussions to mean "by a self-aware being" instead of what it actually means ("interacting with anything at all ")...

I didn't know that. I thought it meant a scientist was watching it. Thanks ! :)

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:56 pm UTC

I started ignoring quantum mechanics when it started involving a one-dimensional particle moving in a two-dimensional box... (maybe that was just the lecturer though...)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Also, it makes much more sense, to ignore it because it contains the unword “soul”. A clear indicator for a lingering religious schizophrenic delusion.

I'm not sure you can safely ignore fanatics.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

dalcde wrote:According to quantum mechanics, you can't know both the position and momentum of a particle precisely.

EDIT: Just realized that my statement is a counter-example for both the comic AND the title-text.

I chose to ignore your sentence and I don't feel in danger at all...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Hey, of course wolpies have souls! Besides, "what is 'god' spelled backwards?"

Then there was the dedicated fisherman. The sole purpose of his soul was to provide people with sole.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Then there was the dedicated fisherman. The sole purpose of his soul was to provide people with sole.

I think I knew him - we met in Seoul.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

Only true if it has a soul.... or at least if we can prove cats are self-aware. Heck, how do you know you're alive? You have no comparison state that you can recall (deadness).
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Only true if it has a soul.... or at least if we can prove cats are self-aware. Heck, how do you know you're alive? You have no comparison state that you can recall (deadness).

I am satisfied that our pet cat, when I was a child, did not have short-term memory extending out to 15 seconds.

EverVigilant

Postby EverVigilant » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:Also, it makes much more sense, to ignore it because it contains the unword “soul”. A clear indicator for a lingering religious schizophrenic delusion.

Anybody who uses the word "soul" is a dangerous fanatic? You must walk in a very narrow social circle.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

jc wrote:A curious but possibly related protip that I've noticed: You can ignore any sentence that uses the phrase "quantum leap", while "quantum jump" usually means that the writer has at least a minimal clue about its meaning. For some reason, the MSM and most marketers have settled on "leap" as what quantums (whatever they are) do.

Quantum Leap was a TV series from the late 80s and early 90s starring Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell. The major premise was that of a time traveller (limited to his own lifetime) who woke to find himself replacing another person, appearing as them to those around him, and required to put right what once went wrong by preventing some tragedy that occurred in the original history with the aid of his invisible friend - an observer from his home future with access to historical records.

dacaldar

Postby dacaldar » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:55 pm UTC

Why isn't the dog a stick-dog?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

EverVigilant wrote:
Kit. wrote:

Anybody who uses the word "soul" is a dangerous fanatic? You must walk in a very narrow social circle.

Looks like you made a mistake (or, to be precise, an odd number of mistakes) while negating the quantifiers involved.

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

See, this would be less prevalent if many-worlds was the dominant interpretation. Then we wouldn't have to worry about who is and isn't an observer because "observer" is no longer anything that has to do with quantum mechanics. Although, then people would latch onto the "every possible configuration of the world exists at once, sort of" part. Never mind that only configurations with high amplitudes matter in the first place...

Also, how does the stick guy know dogs can be observers? Even from the Copenhagen point of view (and assuming the dog has just collapsed/became entangled with a qubit in a superposition of two states), the dog is in a superposition of having experienced one state or the other. This would also be the case if anybody else got to the qubit first. The wavefunction doesn't collapse/decohere until you personally observe it/entangle your mind with it.

pompomjoe

Postby pompomjoe » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Seriously, I think we could all agree that by now it must be dead.

Malakai9999

Postby Malakai9999 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

I have experienced a comparison state. I can assure you that anyone 1.5 hours into a "pre-meeting" before an actual meeting, the purpose of which is to discuss the overuse of meetings, has experienced deadness.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

jc wrote:An example I read recently said that a particular company had made a quantum leap in income last year. My immediate thought was "Did their income actually increase by exactly $0.01?"

Place I used to work the quantum was 26¢; any changes in salary had to be distributed across a year's worth of biweekly paychecks.

rugtoad

Postby rugtoad » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

I think you can safely ignore anyone who says they understand quantum mechanics.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:29 pm UTC

This question was settled definitely by Bobby Byrd's 1971 proof.
I know you got soul / If you didn't you wouldn't be in here

This can be formalized as
!soul => !here
Which is simply the contrapositive version of
here => soul
The proof, with its Sartrian overtones, didn't get the widespread attention it deserved largely on account of the unorthodox publication route chosen by Byrd: namely, releasing it as a kick-ass funk tune backed by the J.B.s.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

Does this protip also apply to any sentence that mentions quantum chromodynamics? I have no idea what QCD but it sounds cool.

As to "Quantum Leap", i like Scott Bakula and i think he resents you putting the knock on his show. Now ST:E is another matter.

Bernkastel

Postby Bernkastel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Magic is quantum mechanics.

CocoaNutCakery

Postby CocoaNutCakery » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

The sheer level of militant atheism in this thread is absurd.

Bernkastel wrote:Magic is quantum mechanics.

I'd say it's the other way around.

But I don't want to get into this debate (again).
Last edited by CocoaNutCakery on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!

Postby just brew it! » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm UTC

Hey, I liked Quantum Leap *and* ST:E. So there!

I've actually helped physicists code QCD simulations, and *still* don't understand what it means!. :lol:

And quantum computing is waaay over-hyped. I acknowledge that it may have some applications, but have yet to see a real-world practical example. Yet some people seem to think it is going to solve all the problems of mankind. Get a grip.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

Quantum computing is widely misunderstood. It will be much more effective at solving a certain subset of problems that classical computing takes an unfeasible amount of time to solve. This tells me already that quantum computers will potentially be able to factorise large products of few primes in polynomial time, and offer a polynomial or better speedup compared to current classical computing capabilities for many other problems.

ST47

Postby ST47 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

CocoaNutCakery wrote:Te sheer level of militant atheism in this thread is absurd.

And there's another phrase that you can safely ignore!

CocoaNutCakery

Postby CocoaNutCakery » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

ST47 wrote:
CocoaNutCakery wrote:Te sheer level of militant atheism in this thread is absurd.

And there's another phrase that you can safely ignore!

Oh, boy! Are we going to get into a debate about the usage of the term militant to describe atheists? Those debates are so fun and those that insist that there's no such thing as militant atheism are so well-informed!

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

In quantum mechanics, no one can observe if you're really a dog or not.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Why is today's cartoon a drawing of two people and a dog with no text anywhere? I don't get it.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

I needed a quantum mechanic (my quantum broke), but I knew too much about his momentum, and now I can't find him :(
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”