1250: "Old Accounts"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Joseph_Conradical

Re: 1250: "Old Accounts"

Postby Joseph_Conradical » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:17 am UTC

I had a friend whose girlfriend died.

No-one had access to her Facebook account. He'd never defriend her, and requesting deactivation from Facebook seemed like a step too far.

So she's just there, collecting information, watching. One day he'll move on and enter a relationship with someone else, and her digital ghost will know.

Social media is creepy.

keldor

Postby keldor » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Deleting them in reverse order of creation?

Shouldn't the standard destructor already take care of that? You only really need to manually do that if you have html links on your account. Or if you have children, of course.

(So sorry, I did way too much c++ lately)

If you just delete an object like that, then you'll have all sorts of hanging pointers from every object that references it.

As for releasing objects in the reverse order you created them in, consider one of those APIs where you create object trees; DirectX is a good example of this. If you were to release an object at the bottom of the tree, it may or may not release objects depending on it, meaning that if you then tried to release those objects, you'd be trying to release an object that's already been released. Also, releasing an object may involve it talking to its parent object, for bookkeeping, which would be bad too.

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Long ago I posted on CompuServe that the Western Hemisphere Internet Authority was going to conduct the yearly purging of the internet of all outdated pointers (links) and advertisements. People were advised to turn off their computers and unplug them from the phone lines on April 1st so that their personal information wouldn't get erased. There was a couple of paragraphs explaining that this was necessary to keep the internet from reaching maximum capacity. It would also speed up future internet service.

Some people thought it was funny, others were not amused.
Spoiler: If you are on CompuServe, playing the text game that involves exploring a cave, do not kill the bird.

JetstreamGW

Postby JetstreamGW » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

kasmeneo wrote:GOOMHR.... when I checked my mail this morning and found various social network newsletters I thought "I should definitely clean up my memberships and leave the networks I'm not using anymore..."

And "database linkage accumulation slowdown"...? He *made* that up, right?

The test of that is to google it.

If the first dozen responses are XKCD and forums/blogs talking about XKCD, then obviously he made it up.

Oh hey, lookit that.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:22 am UTC

keldor wrote:
Diadem wrote:Deleting them in reverse order of creation?

Shouldn't the standard destructor already take care of that? You only really need to manually do that if you have html links on your account. Or if you have children, of course.

(So sorry, I did way too much c++ lately)

If you just delete an object like that, then you'll have all sorts of hanging pointers from every object that references it.

Taking care of hanging pointers to an object X is not the job of X, but of whoever decided to delete X. You can write programs where objects delete themselves, but that's just perverse.

keldor wrote:As for releasing objects in the reverse order you created them in, consider one of those APIs where you create object trees; DirectX is a good example of this. If you were to release an object at the bottom of the tree, it may or may not release objects depending on it, meaning that if you then tried to release those objects, you'd be trying to release an object that's already been released. Also, releasing an object may involve it talking to its parent object, for bookkeeping, which would be bad too.

I was referring to the fact that the standard c++ destructor deletes an object's variables in the reverse order in which they were created. You generally only have to overwrite this if your object contains pointers or you are doing funky things with inheritance. Hence the joke about html links or children.

I'm also unclear as to what you're trying to say, since your example is one where deleting in reverse order is a good idea, so what's the problem?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:There's also that "Log in thru Facebook" thing that a lot of sites are doing now, but then you'd have to use your real name everywhere, and it allows Facebook to spy on all your Internet activity. (Then again, I'm convinced it's able to magically do this anyway....)

My personal firewall blocks all of the their IP addresses that I'm aware of. It's probably not perfect, but it's the best that I can do easily.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:50 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
orthogon wrote:Is that what y'all are doing now? I fled the OTT while I still could.

A-ha! A stray OTTer! To the basement with ye!

Exhibiting my ignorance, which OTT is this?
(Yes, I tried a search engine first, but Ottawa and over-the-top media content don't seem to make sense in context.)

TheMinim

Postby TheMinim » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:53 am UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
orthogon wrote:Is that what y'all are doing now? I fled the OTT while I still could.

(Yes, I tried a search engine first, but Ottawa and over-the-top media content don't seem to make sense in context.)

The One True Thread! Dedicated to 1190: Time. :D
Titled TheMinimastic as of NP 1610.
Hi Blitzers! And non-blitzers!
Official owner of NewPage 1572, and official co-owner of NewPage 2087 along with NoMouse.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:05 am UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Don't go there. But if you want to go there, go here. But don't. You have been warned.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:07 am UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

*shakes head sadly* You poor thing. Since this is an OtherThread, I suppose you can be forgiven for your inadvertent heresy.

To avoid future heresy, start reading at the beginning and it should all make sense eventually. :wink:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
arthurd006_5 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

*shakes head sadly* You poor thing. Since this is an OtherThread, I suppose you can be forgiven for your inadvertent heresy.

To avoid future heresy, start reading at the beginning and it should all make sense eventually. :wink:

That would take infinite Newpix though.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
arthurd006_5 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

How many newpix have there been in the last week of Outside time?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Spoiler:
ThemePark wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
arthurd006_5 wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

How many newpix have there been in the last week of Outside time?

Well, we're measuring in nopix now, so in standard Outside-to-OTT conversion, a "week" is 168 nopix.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:start reading at the beginning and it should all make sense eventually. :wink:

[citation needed ]

:)

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:39 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:start reading at the beginning and it should all make sense eventually. :wink:

[citation needed ]
:)

There you go! It's the closest thing I could come to a BlitzRocket.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”