1253: "Exoplanet Names"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalcde

1253: "Exoplanet Names"

Postby dalcde » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:48 am UTC

Title text: "If you have any ideas, I hear you can send them to iaupublic@iap.fr."

Code: Select all

+------------+--+---------------+
|Kepler-22   | b | Kepler-3284b |
|Kepler-3284 | b | Kepler-3255b |
|Kepler-3255 | b | Kepler-22b   |

would be a better option imo

rhomboidal

Re: 1253: "Exoplanet Names"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:50 am UTC

I don't know about naming exoplanets, but I'd like to suggest renaming OUR planet to Upsilon Andromidae. "Upsilon Andromidaean" sounds SO much sexier than "Earthling."

GulliNL

Postby GulliNL » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 am UTC

Probably ending up with New Netherlands 1 through 53 I guess.

Yay!
I'm not completely worthless; I can be used as a bad example.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:52 am UTC

I lol'd at Sid Meier being on this list. Spherical Discworld is a horrible oxymoron, but probably the kind of thing Terry Pratchett would do in one of his books.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:55 am UTC

Only funny ones were PILF and DROP TABLE PLANETS. Rest of them were lame.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:28 am UTC

teelo wrote:Only funny ones were PILF and DROP TABLE PLANETS. Rest of them were lame.

It depends. I didn't get PILF but DROP TABLES is a good one.
EDIT: http://xkcd.com/327 reference?

Milchmann

Postby Milchmann » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 am UTC

I like a couple of those.

dalcde wrote:...I didn't get PILF....

"Planet I'd like to f..."

(Not this one.)

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:37 am UTC

PILF, play on MILF; Planet I'd like to fuck.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 am UTC

It's unlikely I'll ever get to name a planet, but if I did I think I'd call it Dennis.

(Two of my feral cat colony are called "Mac" and "Little Dougie", short for "McDonnell" and "Douglas" respectively. They're both jet black.)

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:06 am UTC

I was all, "that's cute, that's cute" and then I read Cosmic Sands and lmao'd. Great comic!

Wee Red Bird

Postby Wee Red Bird » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:10 am UTC

I guess they never heard of the Emu named Spazzy Mcgee. by school kids.

http://weknowmemes.com/tag/spazzie-mcgee-emu/

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 am UTC

I've gotta say, I feel really sorry for whatever intern has to man that email address today...

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 am UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:I've gotta say, I feel really sorry for whatever intern has to man that email address today...

+1, but I've stopped doing google.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 am UTC

I thought a lot of these were actually pretty good suggestions. I especially like "Good Planet" and "Space Planet".

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

I feel utterly betrayed. Suddenly but inevitably. How can "THIS LAND" possibly not be on that list...?!?

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:08 pm UTC

We should just name all the planets Eric.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Has anyone googled the email address? I got this when I put it in my browser to search (firefox)

Spoiler:
[QUOTE=Capricancer;44054751]What's the average time for a beginner (aged 17) to run 5km? [/QUOTE] Depends on a lot of different factors - gender, body shape, current fitness, genetics... my slightly plucked-out-of-thin-air figures would be 22 mins for a fit lanky guy who plays football regularly up to about 48 mins (i.e. brisk walking pace) for a chubby girl with no previous fitness.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

rlh

Postby rlh » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:13 pm UTC

Disappointed to not see New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

That's a dumb list.

All the exoplanets should be named "Steve," "Colbert," or "Steve Colbert."

PS This comic got OTTified in record time! (not by me).

PPS I guess my submission would be "Toofrakkingfaraway" .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Has anyone googled the email address? I got this when I put it in my browser to search (firefox)

Spoiler:
What's the average time for a beginner (aged 17) to run 5km? Depends on a lot of different factors - gender, body shape, current fitness, genetics... my slightly plucked-out-of-thin-air figures would be 22 mins for a fit lanky guy who plays football regularly up to about 48 mins (i.e. brisk walking pace) for a chubby girl with no previous fitness.

https://www.google.com.hk/?gws_rd=cr#ba ... c%40iap.fr

EDIT: Fixed bad tags inherited from original post.
Last edited by dalcde on Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:25 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Has anyone googled the email address? I got this when I put it in my browser to search (firefox)

Which email address? help@gmail.com or iaupublic@iap.fr? help@gmail.com is probably a reserved address by google (it allows for almost perfect impersonation) and iaupublic@iap.fr is the real invoice for name suggestions.

http://www.iau.org/static/public/naming/planets_and_satellites.pdf wrote:Individual suggestions should be sent to iaupublic@iap.fr. They will be handled on a case-by-case basis, with advice given on the best way to proceed. (Please note,
however, the naming rules mentioned in items 6 and 7 below.)

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

I lol'd at PILF because last time I've seen that acronym it was in a TRON (the movie) board about Olivia Wilde's character.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

also, I'd suggest Pluto.

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:51 pm UTC

2314/06/18 02:15:30 UTC
1 433 643 330 seconds Privileged Reference Frame time
Interstellar space

Captain Yanos massaged his temples. "Is there anything happening on this entire ship that could conceivably be described as "good news", or are we all up shit creek without a canoe?"

The Human Resources Officer shifted her weight. "That's the gist of it, sir. We've got five thousand people on a ship built for less than half that. Most of them are civilians, and most of those are scared and angry. We've broken up a few small fights already, but it's only a matter of time before we have a riot on our hands. And if that happens, we might as well just step out the airlock, because once people start smashing things up in here we'll be flying an inert lump of metal with no life-support."

"Speaking of which..." The Captain turned to his Engineering Officer. "How is the life-support situation? How long will our rations last?"

"Essentially? Zero. The Voidcutter isn't a supply ship, sir, she's not designed for long sieges like this. She's designed for getting into fights, winning them, and then sending the soldiers home for dinner. And we were low on rations when the attack hit. We're down to emergency rations already. We'll do what we can with the recycling algae, but we need to get help or a lot of people are going to die soon. Still," he brightened a little, "the engines work. We can get to a lot of places at 90 kilolights."

"Computer, show us a map." The lights dimmed, and a holographic map appeared over the table. A blinking dot about 2 light-years out from the solar system marked their position. "The nearest colonies to us are Tiny Dog Planet and Phil Plainet. Since they're the closest, they'll be utterly swamped and won't take too kindly to us landing in their lap when we had other options. There's also the orbiting dockyards around Unicode Snowman -"

"- it's pronounced ☃ -"

"- who obviously won't be able to take any refugees, but we could probably sell them some of our missiles for scrap metal."

"What about Laser Noises?" The Science Officer waved a hand at the map. "They're too far away from the carnage to be involved, and begging your pardon sir, they're rich enough that they shouldn't mind having a million refugees dumped on them. Let alone the paltry thousand or so we're..." She slowed down as she noticed the stares the others were giving her.

"Commander," said the Comms Officer gently, "there are rumours flying that the Laser Noisians are responsible for this attack. Either directly or indirectly. Consider who stands to gain from this: Earth will be a wasteland for generations. The colonies that have always wanted their independence: Laser Noises, Cosmic Sands, Pilf, and probably e'); DROP TABLE PLANETS--, now have the freedom to take it. And with independence comes the ability to officially declare war. Which I suspect they will do, retroactively, and announce that the brand-new crater in the Pacific was the first shot fired of a war Earth didn't know about."

"If only it were that simple," said the Captain, standing. "Earth had allies - has allies. Blogosphere, Waist-Deep Cats, and Earth - no, I mean the Gliese one - won't stand idly by. And all the colonies have at least paid lip service to non-proliferation agreements, and they won't stand for this. Laser Noises and Cosmic Sands don't have enough military might to make this attack worthwhile. There's something we don't know going on here - something way above our pay-grade."

He paused. "And I guarantee you any yuppie who can get an Internet connection in our brig has reached the same conclusions. There's a war on now, and we'll have to look to the chain-of-command for instructions. With Earth gone, that means the office at ☃, and if that's gone, it means Waist-Deep Cats."

"And if that's gone, well... You know I can't promise we'll live through this. We're all soldiers, we always knew that risk was part of the deal. But there are people depending on us now, people who we foolishly took responsibility for. I'll not see them die if there's anything in my power I can do to prevent it."

"And once our passengers are safe, then we have an arsenal full of torpedoes and a lot of new enemies to fire them at."
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:11 pm UTC

Wayne's World.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

Milchmann wrote:
dalcde wrote:...I didn't get PILF....

"Planet I'd like to f..."

Oh, duh. :roll: All I thought of was "FLIP flipped" (i.e. spelled backwards).
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Tacroy

Postby Tacroy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

These names have a distinct lack of gravitas.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 pm UTC

Klendathu

Krikkit

NowWhat

Vogsphere

Antiga Prime

Aiur

The list goes on and on. Are you telling me the International Astronimical Union don't already have a list of super cool names? I mean, I am pretty sure that is the only reason anyone ever joins the IAU, so you can name a star/planet/galaxy, etc.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:44 pm UTC

Here is how it should work

1. Pluto's new moons should have been named Flea and Tick.
2. All Kuiper belt plutoids and planets should be named after Disney Characters. ie. Snow White, Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Bambi, Grumpy, Dopey and Doc.
3. Exoplanets names should follow Star Trek naming conventions. Tau Alpha IV, Ceti Alpha VI

WhiteDragon

Postby WhiteDragon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Ponzi
Eeemily

etc.
xkcd.com/1011

wormspeaker

Postby wormspeaker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

snowyowl wrote:"And once our passengers are safe, then we have an arsenal full of torpedoes and a lot of new enemies to fire them at."

The Grand Assembly of New Joisey VI hereby extends preferred refugee status to all Earthlings (the ones from the Sol system) who are willing to bribe the Grand Mayor on the way in. We'd like to point out that we no longer require that you even lift bro, and fake tans are optional (though we still recommend that you do that to keep the cancer rain off your skin).

(Apparently the properly spelled name of the Garden State kicks off the spam filter.... why?)

wormspeaker

Postby wormspeaker » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:Here is how it should work
3. Exoplanets names should follow Star Trek naming conventions. Tau Alpha IV, Ceti Alpha VI

Until someone actually lands there in person, then they can name it anything they want.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

wormspeaker wrote:
Wnderer wrote:Here is how it should work

Until someone actually lands there in person, then they can name it anything they want.

Exactly

detherk

Postby detherk » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

I'm surprised to not see some more obvious names on this list. Like for Epsilon Eridani, something along the lines of Babylonia?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

Tacroy wrote:These names have a distinct lack of gravitas.
Would you say they are Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall? Maybe there's Very Little Gravitas Indeed? Perhaps an Absence of Gravitas? Perhaps the entire list is a Gravitas-Free Zone?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

dbam987

Postby dbam987 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

I bet Pluto is on that list, after getting the shaft on keeping its 'regular planet' status.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:40 pm UTC

I now have a new favorite xkcd comic. I think I changed my favorite as recently as last week or so. Randall's on a roll!

teelo wrote:Only funny ones were PILF and DROP TABLE PLANETS. Rest of them were lame.

Apparently our experiences of the strip differed.

da Doctah wrote:Two of my feral cat colony are called "Mac" and "Little Dougie", short for "McDonnell" and "Douglas" respectively.

We named our all-white cat "Spot" — something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. But if we get another one, perhaps I can persuade my wife to name it Bombardier. Hmm, nobody here in Kentucky will know how to pronounce that. That makes it even better!

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

I suggest Cassini.

rhomboidal wrote:I don't know about naming exoplanets, but I'd like to suggest renaming OUR planet to Upsilon Andromidae. "Upsilon Andromidaean" sounds SO much sexier than "Earthling."

I resemble that remark!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

TimXCampbell wrote: But if we get another one, perhaps I can persuade my wife to name it Bombardier. Hmm, nobody here in Kentucky will know how to pronounce that. That makes it even better!

coat_32.png
coat_32.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 16724 times
As names go, Bombardier is bang-on.... Mine's the one with the can of bitter in the pocket.

mbklein

Postby mbklein » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:07 pm UTC

I wonder how much Kickstarter funding I can raise to name one of them "Veronica Mars."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”