1254: "Preferred Chat System"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalcde

1254: "Preferred Chat System"

Postby dalcde » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:30 am UTC

Title text: "If you call my regular number, it just goes to my pager."

IRC ftw. srsly

EDIT: And email for srs stuff

Quicksilver

Re: 1254: "Preferred Chat System"

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 am UTC

If you call my regular number, I'll say "hello?" and tell you I'm not there 10 seconds later. I'm a lot like this, I'm only available through very specific channels.

sonalita

Postby sonalita » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:14 am UTC

Use Trillian or Pidgin and spam simultaneously on every chat system!

JaSK

Postby JaSK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:27 am UTC

Pidgin is epic but Jitsi seems promising too and supports OTR aswell.

JamesLucas

Postby JamesLucas » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

I think we have now witnessed the primary disadvantage to being a stick figure and having no shoulders.

BigglesPiP

Postby BigglesPiP » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

If you mention me on irc it goes to my phone...

(brackendawson on freenode)

Max2009

Postby Max2009 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:37 pm UTC

Holy crap, this is me.
Only, I'm worse since I have 7 email accounts to segregate the different aspects of my life (and different nicks on different IRC servers and zero presence in "social" media sites like Facebook and LinkdIn). And if you email the wrong account I spam you from it.
I do it on purpose, to winnow out the people who aren't really serious about actually contacting me.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

Immediately after, his baby brother is stolen and placed in a magical labrynth.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

hemflit

Postby hemflit » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

The other side of that conversation is approximately how it's been working for me since Google rolled out the new universal-hangouts.

People see me as "away" if I'm actually completely offline for a week somewhere in a cave, they IM me expecting that I'll see their messages when I "come back" to my computer, which I don't. I get the messages only when my phone eventually catches some wifi many days later, and they provide retroactive context for the emails I had been exchanging with the same people in the meantime. That's where I pull out the owls. And then I look like the unreasonable one.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

hemflit wrote:The other side of that conversation is approximately how it's been working for me since Google rolled out the new universal-hangouts.

I think the guy that decided to do that should "hangout" by his toes in some dank dungeon somewhere.

Not only did they make it very difficult to start hangouts, or completely change the system from what we were used to. They did it twice in like a 1 month span. It was such a nightmare. G+ updates are probably even more hated than windows update.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

ryukafalz

Postby ryukafalz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

hemflit wrote:The other side of that conversation is approximately how it's been working for me since Google rolled out the new universal-hangouts.

People see me as "away" if I'm actually completely offline for a week somewhere in a cave, they IM me expecting that I'll see their messages when I "come back" to my computer, which I don't. I get the messages only when my phone eventually catches some wifi many days later, and they provide retroactive context for the emails I had been exchanging with the same people in the meantime. That's where I pull out the owls. And then I look like the unreasonable one.

It's even worse if you have any friends on other XMPP networks. As soon as you get the Hangouts update, any messages you send to them just disappear. Because the new system doesn't have XMPP federation, but they don't warn you about that.

Personally, I have a few friends still using AIM, and Gtalk previously federated with that. Update to hangouts and... why is everyone offline now?

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

ICQ guys. Why is it so hard to use ICQ? Or you could just whisper me in the MUD I play.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

Moose Anus wrote:ICQ guys. Why is it so hard to use ICQ?

Moose Anus, what happens when you click on this link?

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:53 pm UTC

I initially just assumed that Skype involved the use of carrier owls. SUPER disappointing.

Or even better, carrier parrots.
Last edited by rhomboidal on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

Write your message in Klingon on olinguito velum and burn it in an adobe chalice. I'll read it in my tea leaves and leave a reply in the steam on your bathroom mirror.

Or just text me. That'll work too.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

I just want to say I got your message, Dave, and the answer to your question is in another thread, on another forum. Next time try skywriting...

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

I see Bond.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

See, this is the problem with having so many different protocols for what is effectively the same medium of communication.

What we need is one universal standard that covers everyone's use ca...

Oh wait.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:What we need is one universal standard that covers everyone's use ca...

Ni ni ni molpy molpy molpy messenger owl! Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

Actually, all this time I was hoping that you would eventually give up on trying to contact me.

This is why I keep switching accounts, numbers and means of contact. Just to avoid you.

Maybe I should have told you this before, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Pleas stop wasting your time. I don't want to talk to you. Just leave me alone.

Also listen to “The Division Bell”, by Pink Floyd.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

If you don't know my home phone number, chances are I only chat with you via one source/website anyway. The only gray area in my life is Facebook. But even still, you'd have better success calling my home phone or cell than contacting me through Facebook. I go on Facebook once a day to send my wife extra lives on Candy Crush, and that's about it. Maybe once a week or so I will scroll through the feed in a sort of family update Russian Roulette (whatever is within a few mousewheel scrolls gets likes and comments, everything else gets the shaft).

Other than that I am active on 3 online communities, XKCD forum being one of them (and you can see how active I am here).

tl;dr - Don't call us, we'll call you.

pitareio

Postby pitareio » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

I'm a firm believer in the Holy Trinity : screen+irssi+bitlbee.

ToomanyUIDs

Postby ToomanyUIDs » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

ryukafalz wrote:

It's even worse if you have any friends on other XMPP networks. As soon as you get the Hangouts update, any messages you send to them just disappear. Because the new system doesn't have XMPP federation, but they don't warn you about that.

Personally, I have a few friends still using AIM, and Gtalk previously federated with that. Update to hangouts and... why is everyone offline now?

Every few months I wonder about getting a google+ account, and then I read something like this and the urge passes.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Why didn't you just call me on my land line.

Your land what?

ryukafalz

Postby ryukafalz » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

ToomanyUIDs wrote:
ryukafalz wrote:

Every few months I wonder about getting a google+ account, and then I read something like this and the urge passes.

As well it should. As someone with an account... it's not worth it, avoid. It's just another walled garden network like Facebook and then you have two of them to check.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

so who's he talking to? Harry Potter?

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

JamesLucas wrote:I think we have now witnessed the primary disadvantage to being a stick figure and having no shoulders.

Thank you.
No shoulders?

That is not the Only reason a person might end up with a bird on ones head.
Screaming is ok. They like it. Don't Run!

If you run, the bird will hang on tighter. It may also flap its wings to maintain its balance.
If you were surprised by having a bird on your head;
Then having a bird hanging on and beating you about the head and nonexistent shoulders would be surprising, too.

Our Hero, Stick Figure Man, takes these things, well.
Very calm. I like that in a Stick Figure Man.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Ahhh, yes, like the friend who when you go idle then pings every chat system - including the phone - so you have to go through your various electronic devices to go and turn off the alert.

Or Google, which helpfully deleted Navigate yesterday without permission to update Maps app - which was nice, but now I no longer have a Navigate App I can have launch when I get into the car.

Or Google, which decides that all email must go to my phone email, not, say, my desktop, because no way I'd want to use any email but the gmail attached to the phone. Argh.

-Crissa

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

Hmm, comic #1254. That's a very sad number for some people.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:Hmm, comic #1254. That's a very sad number for some people.

Well, mustard - now I'm sad again too.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

ryukafalz wrote:As well it should. As someone with an account... it's not worth it, avoid. It's just another walled garden network like Facebook and then you have two of them to check.

I got Google+ back when it was invitation only because... I could, I guess? I haven't been there since.

I did get some spam emails pointing out potentially interesting stuff and that's actually how I found out about the What If? section of xkcd.

Pikrass

Postby Pikrass » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

dalcde wrote:IRC ftw. srsly

EDIT: And email for srs stuff

And if the stuff is really "srs", you'd better talk face to face. Email is very, very, very NSA-compliant.
Programmer and waiter devoted to Time.

Scripts for the One True Thread: heretic date to newpix converter; spoiler detector; multiquote; extra hide button for spoilers.
Code, links and instructions on Github.
Bundle (Firefox only)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

I had a friend who I left a message for on GChat, who replied by leaving me a voicemail, and I replied with a text message.
We haven't communicated in well over a year now. (Also I heard she got engaged via a family member who is a Facebook friend of a family member... and offered my congratulats in the form of a ROT-13'd filename on an email attachment. I still dunno if she actually got the message.)
San Fran Sam wrote:so who's he talking to? Harry Potter?

Don't be silly, Harry Potter doesn't use Skype.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:56 am UTC

Moose Anus wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

I see Bond.

How about this one?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:02 am UTC

What really annoys me is when I know I discussed something but have to comb through email, Skype, Facebook, another email account, MSN, sms, sms on another phone and the other email account, then finally realise that it was an old-fashioned face-to-face conversation. Seriously, the archive and search functionality on real life is woeful. Maybe Google Glass is the answer after all.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:53 am UTC

orthogon wrote:What really annoys me is when I know I discussed something but have to comb through email, Skype, Facebook, another email account, MSN, sms, sms on another phone and the other email account, then finally realise that it was an old-fashioned face-to-face conversation. Seriously, the archive and search functionality on real life is woeful. Maybe Google Glass is the answer after all.

Yeah, I get that a lot.

steveUK

Postby steveUK » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:58 am UTC

orthogon wrote:What really annoys me is when I know I discussed something but have to comb through email, Skype, Facebook, another email account, MSN, sms, sms on another phone and the other email account, then finally realise that it was an old-fashioned face-to-face conversation. Seriously, the archive and search functionality on real life is woeful. Maybe Google Glass is the answer after all.

Sounds like what you want is a "grain" like on Black Mirror's episode 3 "The Entire History of You"....?

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:07 am UTC

steveUK wrote:

Sounds like what you want is a "grain" like on Black Mirror's episode 3 "The Entire History of You"....?

Or Simon Illyan's implant in Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan novels. But it has schizophrenia as a common side-effect.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:
steveUK wrote:

Or Simon Illyan's implant in Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan novels. But it has schizophrenia as a common side-effect.

Those sound like excellent products. There was also a character in a TV show (I always thought it was Zorro, but my efforts with Google have proved fruitless) who was able to repeat snippets of dialogue verbatim and at high speed on demand. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? (This must have been on TV in the late '80s in the UK.)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Those sound like excellent products. There was also a character in a TV show (I always thought it was Zorro, but my efforts with Google have proved fruitless) who was able to repeat snippets of dialogue verbatim and at high speed on demand. Does anyone remember what I'm talking about? (This must have been on TV in the late '80s in the UK.)

I remember something like that from a movie. Did the character punch himself in the head before repeating the dialogue? I also have a feeling that he got interrupted a couple of times at some point, necessitating more and more punches. There's a good chance that what I'm remembering was in a Czech movie, so in that case you probably mean something different.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”