1256: "Questions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

addams

Re: 1256: "Questions"

Postby addams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:11 am UTC

burndive wrote:
Why are there slaves in the Bible?

I think the obvious answer to this question is that the Bible recounts many historical events, and slaves were present in those events as a necessary part of the story.

Probably behind this question is another question:
What does the Bible have to say about God's view of slavery?

And here's a good answer to that question:
http://www.str.org/articles/did-god-condone-slavery

oh, Good Grief!
What is a Human way of thinking about Slaves?
A little like Children. The legal responsibilities are similar.

The way I learned it:
Glad is the Servant with a Good Master.
Happy is the Master with Good and Happy Slave.

Unhappy is the fate of a servant with an unjust Master.
Uneasy lies the head of a Master with an unhappy and discontent Slave.

Spoiler:
You be You.
I'll be Me.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:29 am UTC

lgw wrote:A sizable spill [of CFl3] will basically eat a hole through everything, down towards the center of the Earth, until it has completely reacted (or the Earth is destroyed), which would be very cool to watch except you'd be busy running, or dead, or both.

Wikipedia:
In an industrial accident, a spill of 900 kg of chlorine trifluoride burned through 30 cm of concrete and 90 cm of gravel beneath.

It didn't destroy the earth.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:53 am UTC

dalcde wrote:
lgw wrote:A sizable spill [of CFl3] will basically eat a hole through everything, down towards the center of the Earth, until it has completely reacted (or the Earth is destroyed), which would be very cool to watch except you'd be busy running, or dead, or both.

Wikipedia:
In an industrial accident, a spill of 900 kg of chlorine trifluoride burned through 30 cm of concrete and 90 cm of gravel beneath.

It didn't destroy the earth.

ok. I guess you told us.
Those are cm. Little insignificant cm.
It is not like that was 30 feet of concrete and 90 feet of gravel.

I looked at Wiki, too.
That stuff is electron hungry.

Yet; Maybe it destroyed the Earth.
Maybe it did. Maybe is still chewing its way to the Core.
Maybe; This is the reason for Global Warming.
It is an exothermic reaction. right?

OH! Nashing of Teeth and Blaming the Scientists and the Industrialists!
We could have lived simply and long. But; No! You guys gave us CellPhones!
Now; Look! We are going to tell the Internet!

What a Greedy chemical!
It always wants more elections!
You always want more money.

Electrons and Money! Evil! Pure, Evil.
Now; We are all doomed!

yes. yes. You take that call. I'll take this one.
Spoiler:
Cooperative to the end.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:30 am UTC

Technically "until it has completely reacted" is a perfect escape clause (it will keep burning through things until... the reaction stops, however soon or late that may be), but yeah, 900kg to burn not even 1m down is not nearly on the scale that "the center of the Earth" should be even mentioned in the same sentence. (Though I guess that's technically correct too, as that is the direction it will go, for as long as the reaction lasts... which just isn't very long, and thus won't get very far in that direction).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:43 am UTC

lgw wrote:Chlorine trifluoride: it makes FOOF seem safe and mild mannered.

I seriously doubt it

Evanxkcd

Postby Evanxkcd » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:20 am UTC

Can this comic please become a poster?

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:
KarenRei wrote:Literal! He's a *literal* parrot, lol.

Not to be confused with a littoral parrot. :)

Hey, some parrots actually enjoy the water. The taifa of Mangas, for example, had traditionally kept an apiary of bathing parrots (I don't recall which species). There was a brief power struggle over them when the country broke up into several substates, with each of the rivals laying claim to them. The only thing that stopped them from outright going to war was that everyone finally agreed to an advisor's suggestion of an aqueous-psittacine-per-manganate solution.

:groan: :D

Spoilered for more off-topic parroty bits.
Spoiler:
We have lots of parrots around here. At least 5 species visit our yard, or fly nearby. The little ones (rainbow lorikeets and scaly-breasted lorikeets) love bathing in our bird-bath. In fact, there's a scaly-breasted lorikeet in it as I type. Galahs also visit it, but just to drink. We also get eastern king parrots when our umbrella tree has fruit on it, but they aren't interested in the bird-bath. And we get a few red-tailed black cockatoos flying overhead, but I've never seen them actually land in the yard.

I have a friend who keeps several parrots in her house. Some of them like to take a shower with her. :)

Judah

Postby Judah » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:55 am UTC

teelo wrote:In before some extremely bored individual takes the time to compile a list of answers to all those questions.

You called it.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 am UTC

We have a thread for FOOF and ClF3 in the Science forum: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=72890

electricmayhem

Postby electricmayhem » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:25 am UTC

The questions that autocomplete always gives me are "Why are there so many Asians" and "Why are there no basements in California", I'm pretty surprised that those two didn't make it.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:37 am UTC

electricmayhem wrote:The questions that autocomplete always gives me are "Why are there so many Asians" and "Why are there no basements in California", I'm pretty surprised that those two didn't make it.

Those questions are unanswerable.
There are not so many Asians.
I seen some. Not in a loonng time.

Why are Asians endangered?
Will Asians become extinct?

California has basements.
To be fair, not a great many.
There are reasons.

Earthquakes and Landslides and Water Tables are a beginning of a long list.
Spoiler:
I would think the Basement would anchor the building and make it more stable and resistant to landslide.
But, it does not work that way. The block of nonporous material seems to encourage rivers of water that undermine the structure.
Then the whole thing with the debris that looked so solid hours ago, follow the sucking sound of the Earth.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Technically "until it has completely reacted" is a perfect escape clause (it will keep burning through things until... the reaction stops, however soon or late that may be), but yeah, 900kg to burn not even 1m down is not nearly on the scale that "the center of the Earth" should be even mentioned in the same sentence. (Though I guess that's technically correct too, as that is the direction it will go, for as long as the reaction lasts... which just isn't very long, and thus won't get very far in that direction).

Ok... so, how much FOOF do we need to get at least halfway to the centre?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 am UTC

addams wrote:
electricmayhem wrote:The questions that autocomplete always gives me are "Why are there so many Asians" and "Why are there no basements in California", I'm pretty surprised that those two didn't make it.

On the contrary, there are well over two billion Asians. That's a lot of people by any standards.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:49 am UTC

Klear wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:Technically "until it has completely reacted" is a perfect escape clause (it will keep burning through things until... the reaction stops, however soon or late that may be), but yeah, 900kg to burn not even 1m down is not nearly on the scale that "the center of the Earth" should be even mentioned in the same sentence. (Though I guess that's technically correct too, as that is the direction it will go, for as long as the reaction lasts... which just isn't very long, and thus won't get very far in that direction).

That depends on how the increasing temperature and density of material, and the change in composition, affects the reaction (which I have no clue how to begin to model), but 1,500,000 kg (one and a half gigagrams, if anyone cares) is the ballpark you're looking at, assuming nothing slows it down significantly as it chews through the mantle. As for how it would react to the core, hey, I took one semester of earth science, I dunno. Poorly, I suspect.

ETA: apparently I've confused the two incredibly don't-touch-that-you-fool substances under discussion here. So sue me. Since FOOF is highly explosive but not, as far as I know chemistry, an acid, I suspect by the time you got halfway to the center of the earth there wouldn't be much of an earth left to get to the center of.
Last edited by Jamaican Castle on Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:29 am UTC

dalcde wrote:
lgw wrote:Chlorine trifluoride: it makes FOOF seem safe and mild mannered.

I seriously doubt it

Well, no one can spill 900 kg of FOOF at room temperature.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 am UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:ETA: apparently I've confused the two incredibly don't-touch-that-you-fool substances under discussion here. So sue me. Since FOOF is highly explosive but not, as far as I know chemistry, an acid, I suspect by the time you got halfway to the center of the earth there wouldn't be much of an earth left to get to the center of.

Seems like I did...

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Well, I'm not sure - I put it to you that an ideal zero ohm resistor could never dissipate any power so couldn't ever blow. I guess a fuse has to have a finite resistance. But could a superconducting circuit breaker (MCB) have zero resistance?

A Josephson effect one can. But you will need to cascade thousands of them to make them able to sustain commonly used voltage, because the highest energy gaps of the known semiconductors are just about tens of meV.

garaden wrote:In physics terms any analysis less complicated than quantum field theory is an approximation! Circuit theory's just more approximate than materials science: the difference between negligible and 0 resistance is, er, neglected. Unless you're worrying about parasitics in which case hooray, everything's a resistor!

To be honest, right now I'm worrying about the need to refactor our cable headend distribution system. And that RF cable attenuation thingy is not nice, especially if it's inconsistent and you have no budget to redo the cabling.

garaden wrote:
Kit. wrote:
garaden wrote:Though I don't understand the fuse thing. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Technically, a fuse is a zero-ohm resistor.

With a well-defined current limit...after which it is a resistor with huge resistance. Which doesn't sound like SMT 0-ohm resistors! I feel like you're asking for trouble if you try to use one as a fuse...unless you're the type who doesn't mind a little magic smoke.

I believe I've seen them (not SMT, though) in cheap AC adapters (well, maybe not cheap, but old... protecting the primary winding of their transformers). With SMT, you can as well just put a "fuse" trace directly on the PCB.

A well-defined current limit is usually needed if you want to protect your equipment (and your environment) against overloads, and not just against short circuits.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

On the subject of true love (and because Tim Minchin is awesome - the lyrics even use the phrase "bell curve" in an appropriate manner!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAzodf69rfk

The RGOOMHM

Postby The RGOOMHM » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Arky wrote:I am stunned, stunned, that there is no raptor question that I noticed.

Because raptors are just pranks?

Spoiler:

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
addams wrote:

On the contrary, there are well over two billion Asians. That's a lot of people by any standards.

Two Billion of anything is a lot.
I have my reservations.

You typed the there are two billion Asians.
I am not sure I believe it.
Can yo prove it?

Did you count them? How did you get them to hold still?

The RGOOMHM wrote:
Arky wrote:I am stunned, stunned, that there is no raptor question that I noticed.

Because raptors are just pranks?

Spoiler:

This may explain it.
Spoiler:
The Asians are being hunted by Raptors.

Either all of it is True, or, None of it is True?
What to believe, today?

Fairies and Asians and Raptors.
Oh! My!
Last edited by addams on Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

garaden

Postby garaden » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

addams wrote:Yet; Maybe it destroyed the Earth.

What a Greedy chemical!

Now; We are all doomed!

Ok, I'm trying to figure out your writing style and having no luck. Is English your second language? ...Is your first language poetry? I mean, it seems like you're rambling, but then you suddenly smack me with something like "We could have lived simply and long. But; No! You guys gave us CellPhones!" and it's just wonderful.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

garaden wrote:
addams wrote:Yet; Maybe it destroyed the Earth.

What a Greedy chemical!

Now; We are all doomed!

Ok, I'm trying to figure out your writing style and having no luck. Is English your second language? ...Is your first language poetry? I mean, it seems like you're rambling, but then you suddenly smack me with something like "We could have lived simply and long. But; No! You guys gave us CellPhones!" and it's just wonderful.

Thank you.
Did you laugh?
I hope you did.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:I remember an essay that heavily criticized this addition by Peter Jackson because of the whole "Who cares if the world will be overrun by Sauron, Arwen will die!" attitude it adds

I liked Orson Scott Card's take on this point:
OSC wrote:The final mistake is the stupidest: Jackson didn't just beef up the role of Arwen, the elfwoman betrothed to Aragorn, he actually has Elrond announce that, for completely unfathomable reasons, Arwen's survival has become linked to that of the land. So if Aragorn fails to save Middle-Earth, Arwen will die.

This reeks of film-school incompetence. "Raise the jeopardy," the students are told; and the directors and studio heads are now insisting on the same thing, even if it is stupid and contradictory to everything in the story.

It's not enough, they think, for Aragorn to be struggling to save the world from all-destroying evil, or even for him to be attempting to claim the crown he was born for but has long been denied. No, his girlfriend also has to be in jeopardy of dying.

They don't get it: A hero does not need the stakes to be personal. He is a hero because he has taken responsibility for the people he is saving. His honor has made the stakes personal already. Putting his fiancee into the mix is a distraction, even a cheapening of the hero's actions.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

addams wrote:
orthogon wrote:
addams wrote:

Two Billion of anything is a lot.
But once you break it down to actual groups rather than geographical distinctions it gets to reasonable numbers.
One can say 2 billion Asians but Koreans, aren't Chinese, or Japanese. None of them are India. Even within China or India there is significant cultural and ethnically distinct groups. It's as frustrating to me as calling anyone between Morocco and Pakistan (erroneously) Muslims as an ethnicity despite there being a whole lot of ethnic diversity. Same with Europe, there's a whole lot of Germans but there aren't many Frisians.
Did you count them? How did you get them to hold still?
very carefully.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:I remember an essay that heavily criticized this addition by Peter Jackson because of the whole "Who cares if the world will be overrun by Sauron, Arwen will die!" attitude it adds

I liked Orson Scott Card's take on this point:
OSC wrote:The final mistake is the stupidest: Jackson didn't just beef up the role of Arwen, the elfwoman betrothed to Aragorn, he actually has Elrond announce that, for completely unfathomable reasons, Arwen's survival has become linked to that of the land. So if Aragorn fails to save Middle-Earth, Arwen will die.

This reeks of film-school incompetence. "Raise the jeopardy," the students are told; and the directors and studio heads are now insisting on the same thing, even if it is stupid and contradictory to everything in the story.

It's not enough, they think, for Aragorn to be struggling to save the world from all-destroying evil, or even for him to be attempting to claim the crown he was born for but has long been denied. No, his girlfriend also has to be in jeopardy of dying.

They don't get it: A hero does not need the stakes to be personal. He is a hero because he has taken responsibility for the people he is saving. His honor has made the stakes personal already. Putting his fiancee into the mix is a distraction, even a cheapening of the hero's actions.

Martin Pearson, in his "Unfinished Spelling Errors of Bolkien" show says something along the lines of: "We discover that Arwen's fate is tied to that of the One Ring. It's not entirely clear why this would be so - we know that anything created using one of the Elven rings will be destroyed, but why would Elrond have used his magic ring in creating Arwen? And where was he wearing it at the time? The mind boggles."

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:
That depends on how the increasing temperature and density of material, and the change in composition, affects the reaction (which I have no clue how to begin to model), but 1,500,000 kg (one and a half gigagrams, if anyone cares) is the ballpark you're looking at, assuming nothing slows it down significantly as it chews through the mantle. As for how it would react to the core, hey, I took one semester of earth science, I dunno. Poorly, I suspect.
Surely the size of the aperture would be the most important consideration?

Probably

Postby Probably » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:12 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:Hey, some parrots actually enjoy the water. The taifa of Mangas, for example, had traditionally kept an apiary of bathing parrots (I don't recall which species). There was a brief power struggle over them when the country broke up into several substates, with each of the rivals laying claim to them. The only thing that stopped them from outright going to war was that everyone finally agreed to an advisor's suggestion of an aqueous-psittacine-per-manganate solution.

Why are your posts so awesome? XD Your previous post about Iceland makes me want to visit it more than I already do, too!

Jorpho wrote:
Jamaican Castle wrote:
Surely the size of the aperture would be the most important consideration?

Sounds like some of us would be interested in a "What-If": What if we spilled enough ClF3 in one spot to reach the center of the Earth? There are certainly a bunch of interesting effects to account for.

Finally, I'm surprised nobody else asked: how exactly were the questions derived from Google's autocomplete? I tried to duplicate the process but wasn't very successful.

K-R

Postby K-R » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:Why are wrestlers always wet?
Googling this gets you porn on the first page. Someone else should go down this list of questions, not with answers, but with how many pages in you find porn. Anyway, wrestling is sweaty business.

A: They look like they dumped a bucket of water on their heads because that is likely what they did. Oiling your body highlights muscular definition. Some people find oiling up before a match makes them ‘blow up’ (become winded easier), so they use water. Water doesn’t stay on you long so they get wet right before going through the curtain.

http://www.stormwrestling.com/042105.html

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:That depends on how the increasing temperature and density of material, and the change in composition, affects the reaction (which I have no clue how to begin to model)

Not to mention the extent in which the reaction will spread out as it descends ... or even if it descends. Spilled on a solid, a liquid acid will start to eat its way downward, because most of the contact surface area is in that direction. But if it eats into a liquid, this is obviously no longer true. Perhaps even less true if the environment is hot enough to boil the acid.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

When I type "why are there", the autocompletes are as follows:

• why are there seasons on earth
  • why are there no basements in arizona
  • why are there flies in my house
  • why are there gnats in my house
  • why are there bumps on my nipples
  • why are there different blood types
  • why are there 24 hours in a day
  • why are there protests in turkey
  • why are there 7 days in a week
  • why are there different time zones

I guess the "basements" question indicates Google's awareness of your location (this may also account for the different pests that people are wondering about in their homes, although around here I'd expect scorpions), and there's a definite bias towards questions about various aspects of the calendar.

I'm not sure which I find more surprising: the one about nipples or the one about turkey.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:I guess the "basements" question indicates Google's awareness of your location

Nope, I got "why are there no basements in texas", though I'm in Prague.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

Basements. I like basements. :)

When I start with "why are there no basements in" I get Texas, Arizona, and Oklahoma as the top three suggestions.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

speising

Postby speising » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

hm.
why are there school

i guess the looming end of summer holidays hereabouts throws its ugly shadow.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Basements. I like basements. :)

When I start with "why are there no basements in" I get Texas, Arizona, and Oklahoma as the top three suggestions.

Good idea:

As a non-american, I have to ask - are there no basements in those places?

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Having grown up in the midwest, I can say there are definitely basements there. Particularly nice during the summer.. or when there's a tornado.

W3ird_N3rd

Postby W3ird_N3rd » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:13 am UTC

bouer wrote:Try seeing how many of them you can answer. A surprising number are actually valid questions.

It's actually tempting to try and answer them all. But it would cost me quite some time and I don't think anyone would terribly care.

Oh well, I'll do a few anyway.

Q: Why is NASA shutting down?
A: Because budget deficit.

Q: Why do good people die?
A: Because there is no god.

Q: Why are there ants in my laptop?
A: Because you spilled a coke on it years ago. The sugar still sticks on the inside. Stop bringing your laptop to picknicks.

Q: Why are there celebrities?
A: Because you adore them.

Q: Why is sex so important?
A: Because humans do not support mitosis.

Q: Why do I say uh?
A: To prevent akward silences.

Q: Why is outer space so cold?
A: The "standard" temperature is 0 kelvin or −273.15 °C (−459.67 °F). Earth is warmer because we get radiation (energy) from the sun and heat that radiates from the (very hot) core of earth. In outer space you get less of that, depending on where exactly you are.

Q: Why is dying so scary?
A: Evolution. It's largely genetic. If you weren't afraid of death, you would far too easily engage in extremely dangerous activities, spoiling your chances of distributing your DNA. In other words: the people who weren't afraid of death probably got eaten by mammoths or fell of mountains, or wondered if they could keep their head underwater for an hour and a half. They failed to reproduce and because of that you don't have their DNA. This is also why you feel pain, another unpleasant experience. It's just to keep you out of harms' way. Mind you, many people find peace with death as they grow older and feel their life is complete. So just hang in there!

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:05 am UTC

Klear wrote:As a non-american, I have to ask - are there no basements in those places?
No, but they're considerably less common than basements in other places, places that I presume produce a lot of people who expect all homes and businesses to have basements and who are subsequently surprised to find places where this is not the case, causing them to rush to Google to find out what causes such a strange state of affairs to exist.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Meanwhile, as a Californian, I would ask instead "why would you build a basement when it's so much easier to build another floor up than another floor down?

And the answer appears to be that in places with shitty weather, the ground freezes and expands and can buckle the foundation of an entire house up out of the ground, so the foundation of the house has to be built many feet down below the frost line, and while they're digging out that much dirt anyway they just go ahead and put another floor down there while they're at it.

(Anecdote: One time I visited a new girlfriend's house for the first time -- here in California -- and shortly after coming in, on the ground floor, she said she had to put something away downstairs. I was confused, and said "I thought we were downstairs?", especially since there was another floor above us, and then realized as I watched her go further downstairs that there was a whole damn floor underground and... oh yeah, that's a basement. Wow. A basement. Been a long time since I've seen one of those).

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Meanwhile, as a Californian, I would ask instead "why would you build a basement when it's so much easier to build another floor up than another floor down?
(Anecdote: One time I visited a new girlfriend's house for the first time -- here in California -- and shortly after coming in, on the ground floor, she said she had to put something away downstairs.

Haven't you just answered your own question?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 am UTC

I don't follow. Are you suggesting the purpose of a basement is to have a place to store things? That doesn't answer my question. Why do things need to be stored underground? (Unless you're in a pre-industrial society and that's the closest to refrigeration you can get). Why is one floor of use space above ground and one floor of storage space below ground better than one floor of use space above ground and one floor of storage space above ground? Or in closer to my original words: why build down when you could build up?

(And yes, I did answer this question already, in the paragraph you omitted, but I only learned that because this thread prompted me to Google the answer).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”