1256: "Questions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

madaco

Re: 1256: "Questions"

Postby madaco » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

I see a malevolent elephant in the rorschach image.
I found my old forum signature to be awkward, so I'm changing it to this until I pick a better one.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:34 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:What do you see when you look at this:
rorschach-test.jpg

A herd of beautiful wild ponies running free across the plains.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

bodhilinuxfan

Postby bodhilinuxfan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

So Randall has taken an idea from the vlogbrothers. Xkcd supports Nerdfighters! Yay!

Rococo

Postby Rococo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:Why are there mustaches on cars?
???

'Cause Lyft.

Thryduulf

Postby Thryduulf » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:17 am UTC

rorschach-test.jpg

A human male pelvis.
Watching too many archaeology programs I guess!

(I was going to include an image but it wont let me, so you'll just have to look at the second iilustration in the Wikipedia article about the human pelvis yourself, sorry)

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 am UTC

Questions I get:

Why is the sky blue? (http://xkcd.com/1145/)
Why is everybody afraid of love?
Why is facebook blocked in China?
Why is gluten bad?
Why is the sea salty?
Why is 13 unlucky?
Why is everyone afraid of love?
Why is slavery wrong?
Why is biodiversity important?
Why is breakfast important?

Why are manhole covers round?
Why are there seasons?
Why are Chinese so rude? (http://xkcd.com/385/)
Why are you interested in this position?
Why are people gay?
Why are metals good conductors?
Why are sloths so slow?
Why are you my clarity?
Why are pandas endangered?
Why are Asians short?

Why do we dream?
Why do people smoke?
Why does it always rain on me?
Why do we fart?
Why do we yawn?
Why do you want to be a pilot?
Why do people lie?
Why do buddhists meditate?
Why do plants need water?
Why do people take drugs? (because they're sick?)

addams

Postby addams » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Spoiler:
Adam H wrote:A surprising number (all???) of these can be answered with the tongue in cheek response: "Because God hates you."

Or; The equally useful, "Because, God Loves Us."

Why? Is a good question.
Sometimes it can be a dishonest question. Not always.

Why doesn't water burn?
Was one of the most enlightening questions I ever read the answer to.
Such a beautiful little paper. Written by a Chemist. Bless his heart.
Edit: The Answer:
Spoiler:
Because Water is Already Burnt.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:15 am UTC

addams wrote:Why doesn't water burn?

Becauses there isn't FOOF.
http://what-if.xkcd.com/40/

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:35 am UTC

A fine effort indeed by Mr. Omgryebread.

Why are there two slashes after HTTP?
That's an excellent question. They don't even need to be there. Tim Berners-Lee even said they don't! I can't really answer this, so I guess you should just move on with your life. Help out the person asking the previous one, I think she's gonna need some support.
Surely there's some ancient *nix standard for specifying protocols that distantly predates HTTP and everything else, isn't there? I still can't quite wrap my head around it, though, as colons don't typically appear in any kind of device paths in *nix that I've ever seen.

Arky

Postby Arky » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 am UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I like how the comic neatly captures a certain existential despair. There are only questions, questions shouted every which way, always questions, and never answers.

What do you see when you look at this:
rorschach-test.jpg

A happy bearded man.
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

ilduri

Postby ilduri » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:48 am UTC

kasmeneo wrote:
Diadem wrote:Things are changing though. Most women no longer wear skirts. And men are starting to see the big advantages of female bikes

Some men also see the advantage of wearing skirts, which are often more comfortable than trousers.

Haha, that's exactly what I thought when I read that! But then, I'm a crossdresser\transvestite, so I guess I'm a little biased. :)
"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
she/her

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:50 am UTC

I see a dalmatian in the Rorschach. A sad dalmatian.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 am UTC

Dracomax wrote:as for the inkblot--it kind of looks like a pelvic cradle. or possibly a giant bat. or the mouth of a raptor about to eat me.

Are you Batman?

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:21 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:Ants, carpenter ants to be precise, like electricity for whatever reason and will nest inside walls along wires or in computers. This can become such a problem that they can overheat and damage electrical devices.

I had an infestation once...

I had some infest a power strip once. Got rid of them with cotton balls soaked in bleach right up against the openings. It turns out, ants *are* fond of breathing.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:25 am UTC

enumerated powers wrote:Wow. Good effort!

I will just expand on two of the questions...

1. Why is Ohio weather so weird? Actually (being in Dayton Ohio) there's a reason our weather seems, shall we say, 'unstable' (at least unpredictable). The two major prevailing weather systems in the middle of the United States are one coming 'down' and Eastward from the Northern end of the Rocky Mountains, and one coming 'up' and Eastward from the Gulf of Mexico. The boundary between the northern weather system and the southern one is often right through the Cincinnati - Dayton area and it is often the case that weather in Cincinnati and Dayton are quite different (on either side of that 'boundary' between the two competing weather systems). The location of the boundary involves judging the relative strengths of the two systems, rendering the predictions around here so unreliable. The boundary can move a little (a few miles) causing us to see completely different weather (leading to the old saw, "Don't like the weather? Hang around a few minutes - it'll change.")

Lol, you American midwesterners and your "our weather changes so fast!" ;) Try coming to Iceland for a week or two in the spring, and then try telling us about how changeable *your* weather is ;) It can literally be, in the course of an hour, sun, rain, hail, sun and hail, sun and rain, cloudy and calm, snow, sunny and snow, sunny and sleet, cloudy and rain.... (on and on, changing every couple minutes). Gotta love when you're walking on a nice beautiful day and you notice that the next ridge over is in the middle of a snowstorm... then a couple minutes later you're in it, battered by beating snow and ice... then a couple minutes later it's gone, with a centimeters or two on the ground... and 15-30 minutes later it's all melted and there's no sign it was ever there. Pretty normal occurance, that.

(Note: I lived in the US midwest for over a decade, so I am qualified to compare! The weather phenomina you've got on us are the updraft-induced stuff - large hail, lightning, and tornadoes, but we win hands down on changeability!)

Klear wrote:
KarenRei wrote:I lol'ed so loud at "Why is there always a java update" that I startled my parrot ;)

That sounds like some unusual euphemism...

Literal! He's a *literal* parrot, lol.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:
Klear wrote:
KarenRei wrote:I lol'ed so loud at "Why is there always a java update" that I startled my parrot ;)

That sounds like some unusual euphemism...

Literal! He's a *literal* parrot, lol.

Oh.... literal! I get it ;)

BigglesPiP

Postby BigglesPiP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 am UTC

Every question is solved on Yahoo Answers. :D

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:Literal! He's a *literal* parrot, lol.

Not to be confused with a littoral parrot. :)

It'd be interesting to know how many results Google gets for each of Randall's questions. I suspect that it's proportional to the area each question occupies in the comic. But I'm too lazy to check it myself.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:16 am UTC

This comic was pretty popular on reddit. Top comment is someone answering all the questions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xkcd/comments/1l3na7/questions/

project2051

Postby project2051 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:38 am UTC

Arky wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I like how the comic neatly captures a certain existential despair. There are only questions, questions shouted every which way, always questions, and never answers.

What do you see when you look at this:
rorschach-test.jpg

A happy bearded man.

http://www.pbfcomics.com/233/

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Why are hats so expensive?

:?: All I had to do was send a PM to a haberdasher.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

AdmiralJustin wrote:
Why is Wolverine not in the Avengers?

Because there's one villan not even the Avengers can defeat.

Licensing.

It's like plot armor but made of greed and the blood of lower executives. Quite sparkly, actually.

Evidently he was.

FrobozzWizard

Postby FrobozzWizard » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:
omgryebread wrote:An answer (more or less) to every single question. Today was a productive day at work!

Why is there so much rain in Ohio?
Okay, huh, guess you have birds and rain. Well, there's been an area of low pressure right in the middle of the country. Since it's kind of stuck there, moisture is continuously moving up from the Gulf of Mexico, carried right to Ohio. I hope this answe-

Why is Ohio weather so weird?
Okay, is there something going on in Ohio I should know about? Are you guys okay up there?
[/spoiler]

1. Why is Ohio weather so weird? Actually (being in Dayton Ohio) there's a reason our weather seems, shall we say, 'unstable' (at least unpredictable). The two major prevailing weather systems in the middle of the United States are one coming 'down' and Eastward from the Northern end of the Rocky Mountains, and one coming 'up' and Eastward from the Gulf of Mexico. The boundary between the northern weather system and the southern one is often right through the Cincinnati - Dayton area and it is often the case that weather in Cincinnati and Dayton are quite different (on either side of that 'boundary' between the two competing weather systems). The location of the boundary involves judging the relative strengths of the two systems, rendering the predictions around here so unreliable. The boundary can move a little (a few miles) causing us to see completely different weather (leading to the old saw, "Don't like the weather? Hang around a few minutes - it'll change.")

For southern Ohio, that answer makes sense. For northern Ohio, the key characteristic is Lake Erie, which even more than the other Great Lakes tends to evaporate and then dump a whole bunch of precipitation on nearby land. This affects Erie PA and Buffalo NY as well. It's not exactly a bad thing though, because it means that the area is well supplied with fresh water.

Also, the polar jet stream frequently dips down into Ohio, causing wild weather fluctuations.

As far as Ohio birds, during migration season Ohio is one of the major routes from Canada to the tropics and vice versa.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

AdmiralJustin wrote:
Why is Wolverine not in the Avengers?

Because there's one villan not even the Avengers can defeat.

Licensing.

It's like plot armor but made of greed and the blood of lower executives. Quite sparkly, actually.

That reminded me of this.

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:38 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:Why is space black?
Because there's nothing there. Black is the absence of color. There's nothing out in space for light to hit and be reflected into our eyes.

"Why is space black" is actually an argument against the assumption of an infinite and eternal static universe, known as Olbers'_paradox. If the universe was infinite and unchanging, then every line of sight would eventually end on the surface of a star, so the sky should be bright. But it isn't, so the assumption must be wrong.

FrobozzWizard

Postby FrobozzWizard » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
rorschach-test.jpg

Thank you, Daria. (The sad thing is that I caught that without having to look it up)

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

FrobozzWizard wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
rorschach-test.jpg

Thank you, Daria. (The sad thing is that I caught that without having to look it up)

Wait, that had nothing to do with My Little Pony? o.O

jedi

Postby jedi » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

"Why are my neighbors velociraptors?"
Which, really, is a good question.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
KarenRei wrote:Literal! He's a *literal* parrot, lol.

Not to be confused with a littoral parrot. :)

Hey, some parrots actually enjoy the water. The taifa of Mangas, for example, had traditionally kept an apiary of bathing parrots (I don't recall which species). There was a brief power struggle over them when the country broke up into several substates, with each of the rivals laying claim to them. The only thing that stopped them from outright going to war was that everyone finally agreed to an advisor's suggestion of an aqueous-psittacine-per-manganate solution.

Thikron

Postby Thikron » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

On this sort of note, here's quite a funny 'How' question I came across today:

'How do "Do not walk on the grass" signs get there?'

(Found on Yahoo answers. Some of the replies there are quite funny.)

garaden

Postby garaden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

I don't know if anyone's even interested in this, but I thought it was weird too and had to find out about it a few years ago :)

omgryebread wrote:Why is there a 0 Ohm resistor?
One use is to allow traces on the same side of a PCB to cross: one trace has a zero-ohm resistor while the second trace runs in between the leads of the resistor, avoiding contact with the first trace. A second use is as a configuration jumper to select different operation modes of a printed circuit board. Sometimes, a zero-ohm link may be used as an ad-hoc low-cost kind of a fuse.
I have no clue what that means. Thanks, Wikipedia!

First, a PCB ("printed circuit board") is a RAM module, or a motherboard, or the inside of just about anything electronic. You know, the thin green boards inlaid with copper traces in high-tech-looking patterns. If you don't want to open anything up, you can get a decent look at one inside those translucent "your-food-is-ready" buzzers restaurants use. I don't do this on a regular basis or anything, because that would be a weird thing to do! Yeah...that would sure be weird.

ANYWAY, a lot of the weird things about PCBs are due to PCB terminology not always mapping exactly to physics terminology. This happens because PCB terminology draws a distinction between two things that are manufactured differently, even though they're electrically identical, and lumps together things that are manufactured similarly but are electrically distinct.

So in PCB terms a resistor is a little black box with two terminals and a non-infinite resistance. This includes little black boxes with resistances of 0, which is definitely not how physics sees it. Meanwhile in PCB terms a "wire" is a copper trace and little else, while in physics terms anything with resistance 0 is a wire.

Now that we've got that out of the way, why would you want a little black box with 0 resistance? Well, traces can't cross, so if you need to get one trace past another one you can use a 0-ohm resistor to hop over the trace that's in the way. Also, say you're making two PCB designs which are very similar except one has a connection the other doesn't. You could manufacture two separate trace layouts, if you like throwing money away. Or you could use just one design, and use a 0-ohm resistor to make the connection for the design that needs it.

Though I don't understand the fuse thing. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Muzer

Postby Muzer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:Why do they say T Minus?
It probably stands for time. Acronyms and other methods of shortening speech are used to keep communication channels open.

Just to expand on this, T does indeed stand for time - but specifically the time of launch (in the context of space launches - but it can mean "time of (any important discrete event)" if you want it to). So saying "T minus 60 seconds" is basically saying "the current time is the time of launch minus sixty seconds". If you watch a launch, the clock will show times as "T+x" after the rocket has launched (meaning, obviously, the time of the event plus x).

So, saying "the rocket will launch in T minus 5 minutes" is just wrong - it's probably just Hollywood misunderstanding the notation.

periboob

Postby periboob » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Why do people say "there are no stupid questions"?

Because there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers.

I prefer, and use frequently:
"In order to ask a question, you must already know most of the answer."
~ Robert Sheckley (in Ask a Foolish Question, about 1953)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

garaden wrote:So in PCB terms a resistor is a little black box with two terminals and a non-infinite resistance.

In SMT terms. The resistors that are used for through-hole PCBs are quite different (edit: well, don't take me wrong, they do have two terminals and a non-infinite resistance).

And generally speaking, you don't need PCBs to implement electronic schemes from components. You can just solder the components (and maybe some additional wiring) together. Doing it with PCBs is just more practical (usually). Doing it with SMT PCBs is more practical for mass-production.

garaden wrote:This includes little black boxes with resistances of 0, which is definitely not how physics sees it. Meanwhile in PCB terms a "wire" is a copper trace and little else, while in physics terms anything with resistance 0 is a wire.

In physics terms, anything of a finite size with zero resistance is a superconductor.

garaden wrote:Now that we've got that out of the way, why would you want a little black box with 0 resistance? Well, traces can't cross,

Well, they can, on different layers (normally PCBs have at least two layers, top side and bottom side), but it's not always practical.

garaden wrote:Also, say you're making two PCB designs which are very similar except one has a connection the other doesn't.

Or you may want to vary the resistance based on variations in some other mounted components (for very close but different circuit designs), and in some variations the resistance needs to be zero.

garaden wrote:Though I don't understand the fuse thing. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Technically, a fuse is a zero-ohm resistor.

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Chlorine trifluoride will burn water. And pretty much everything else that's already burnt, including asbestos. A sizable spill will basically eat a hole through everything, down towards the center of the Earth, until it has completely reacted (or the Earth is destroyed), which would be very cool to watch except you'd be busy running, or dead, or both. The CDC rates it as "Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health" at 0.1 ppm. Chlorine trifluoride: it makes FOOF seem safe and mild mannered.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
garaden wrote:Now that we've got that out of the way, why would you want a little black box with 0 resistance? Well, traces can't cross,

Well, they can, on different layers (normally PCBs have at least two layers, top side and bottom side), but it's not always practical.

garaden wrote:Also, say you're making two PCB designs which are very similar except one has a connection the other doesn't.

Or you may want to vary the resistance based on variations in some other mounted components (for very close but different circuit designs), and in some variations the resistance needs to be zero.

The opposite of a zero ohm resistor is an "AOT" (Adjust On Test) which is (ideally speaking) an infinite resistor. The pads have the right spacing for a finite resistor but no component is fitted at assembly time. This lets you fit the appropriate component later. They're sort of similar concepts with different defaults.

Kit. wrote:
garaden wrote:Though I don't understand the fuse thing. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

Well, I'm not sure - I put it to you that an ideal zero ohm resistor could never dissipate any power so couldn't ever blow. I guess a fuse has to have a finite resistance. But could a superconducting circuit breaker (MCB) have zero resistance?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

garaden

Postby garaden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:15 pm UTC

Yes, Kit, those are all the complications I was trying to sweep under the rug :P

Kit. wrote:...generally speaking, you don't need PCBs to implement electronic schemes from components. You can just solder the components (and maybe some additional wiring) together. Doing it with PCBs is just more practical (usually). Doing it with SMT PCBs is more practical for mass-production.

I never made anything from it, but I had a book as a kid which told you to connect things using aluminum foil as makeshift solder. I have no idea how well it worked. I feel like if you're not careful that could be *more* of a fire hazard.

Kit. wrote:
garaden wrote:This includes little black boxes with resistances of 0, which is definitely not how physics sees it. Meanwhile in PCB terms a "wire" is a copper trace and little else, while in physics terms anything with resistance 0 is a wire.

In physics terms, anything of a finite size with zero resistance is a superconductor.

In physics terms any analysis less complicated than quantum field theory is an approximation! Circuit theory's just more approximate than materials science: the difference between negligible and 0 resistance is, er, neglected. Unless you're worrying about parasitics in which case hooray, everything's a resistor!

Kit. wrote:

With a well-defined current limit...after which it is a resistor with huge resistance. Which doesn't sound like SMT 0-ohm resistors! I feel like you're asking for trouble if you try to use one as a fuse...unless you're the type who doesn't mind a little magic smoke.

joseff1994

Postby joseff1994 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Pleeeease make a poster!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:28 am UTC

lgw wrote:
Spoiler:

Chlorine trifluoride will burn water. And pretty much everything else that's already burnt, including asbestos. A sizable spill will basically eat a hole through everything, down towards the center of the Earth, until it has completely reacted (or the Earth is destroyed), which would be very cool to watch except you'd be busy running, or dead, or both. The CDC rates it as "Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health" at 0.1 ppm. Chlorine trifluoride: it makes FOOF seem safe and mild mannered.

How? How, pray tell, do you know that?

That does not change the fact that water is already burnt.
What is that stuff doing to Already Burnt Stuff?
Is it a Base?

It is not taking giving H+? It is taking? And; Aggressively?
Is that what it is doing for the Dummy's? It it eating its way through taking and taking? Why never satisfied? Amount?

The post said, "Large enough spill."
Does enough of it exist?
Is that one of those Unstable Man Make things?
Like FOOF. No real world use for that stuff.

The DOD would not like some.
What would they do with it?
A group of nineteen year old men should not be playing with that stuff. right?

oh. Why were our people Slaves in The Bible?

Because the Masters were boring.
All the good stuff the slaves got to do.
Hey! Its a guess.

The advantaged often Romanticize the Lives of the Common Man.
Lucky Us! The Advantaged and the Common Man are the same Folks, today.
No. Maybe, not. Darned hard to tell. Like a fish looking at water.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

burndive

Postby burndive » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:37 am UTC

Why are there slaves in the Bible?

I think the obvious answer to this question is that the Bible recounts many historical events, and slaves were present in those events as a necessary part of the story.

Probably behind this question is another question:
What does the Bible have to say about God's view of slavery?

And here's a good answer to that question:
http://www.str.org/articles/did-god-condone-slavery

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”