1258: First

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

wolfticket

Re: 1258: First

Postby wolfticket » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:47 pm UTC

I think it's basically as a result of comments often being sorted by voting other than chronological order these days. People get out of the habit of it because on a lot of major sites these days you'll end up getting down voted or removed rather than having prominence.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

wolfticket wrote:I think it's basically as a result of comments often being sorted by voting other than chronological order these days. People get out of the habit of it because on a lot of major sites these days you'll end up getting down voted or removed rather than having prominence.

Yep. I laughed when I learned what Fark.com does - your "first post" post get moved down to a random spot by the moderators so you look like an idiot. Not sure if this is still what they do, actually, as I haven't checked them in years.

Another thing to consider is that companies are getting better at interacting publicly with people, so it feels less special. 10 years ago if Blizzard made a post in their Starcraft forums, that was a big deal and would likely get a "FIRST!!!!" response. Today they post in their Starcraft 2 forums daily/weekly and just feel like part of the community. It's just an everyday event and users have gotten used to treating them like regular people instead of celebrities.

O-Deka-K

Postby O-Deka-K » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

WolfieMario wrote:* I'm now tempted to come up with an all-encompassing regex to catch all "First" variants.

Frosty Piss!

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:07 pm UTC

My reply number is OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Now instead of first, I tend to see more raising of dongers.

Spoiler:
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Darude - Sandstorm

I guess that's partially the portion of the internet I'm visiting, but it is an interesting trend. I guess the internet is just getting a bit better at moderating itself? Or maybe most of the people who post first have moved on to other things.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

How many times can you post "first" before it stops having any meaning?

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

I don't understand this one. On the forums I use, someone posts an 'OP' and then people respond. I don't recall running into this 'first' business in these forums or in mailing lists or on Usenet.

teelo

Postby teelo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:I don't understand this one. On the forums I use, someone posts an 'OP' and then people respond. I don't recall running into this 'first' business in these forums or in mailing lists or on Usenet.

First.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Wnderer wrote:I don't understand this one. On the forums I use, someone posts an 'OP' and then people respond. I don't recall running into this 'first' business in these forums or in mailing lists or on Usenet.

I think it's mostly in important threads made by moderators and admins (mostly the announcements and stickies at the top, although I'm unsure if anyone would dare to do this on the rules thread :P). Then there are sometimes some subforums where new threads can only be started by moderators (mostly for news announcements on forums associated with a larger website).

There are of course blogs with comment options (similar to the mod threads only subforums now I think about it) which are highly susceptible to the issue (although they are becoming more frequent, not less) but as has been pointed out: these often have options to vote a comment up or down, with a number of down votes leading to hiding of the post.

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

sourmìlk wrote: Fortunately, exactly zero other annoying internet behaviors have developed during this time.

As clearly shown by this video. :mrgreen:

obfpen

Postby obfpen » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:00 pm UTC

wolfticket wrote:I think it's basically as a result of comments often being sorted by voting other than chronological order these days. People get out of the habit of it because on a lot of major sites these days you'll end up getting down voted or removed rather than having prominence.

Voting creates its own problems though. I suspect there's quite a lot of personality overlap between "first" posters and "thumbs up if ..." beggars. Sadly, it looks like shouting into the void as a cry for validation isn't going to stop any time soon; only the fashionable form changes.

wolfticket

Postby wolfticket » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

obfpen wrote:

Voting creates its own problems though. I suspect there's quite a lot of personality overlap between "first" posters and "thumbs up if ..." beggars. Sadly, it looks like shouting into the void as a cry for validation isn't going to stop any time soon; only the fashionable form changes.

Thumbs up if you think "thumbs up if..." is the new "first" :)

Also, thumbs up if XKCD sent you here... :cry:

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

wolfticket wrote:
obfpen wrote:

Thumbs up if you think "thumbs up if..." is the new "first" :)

AOL!
Or as it's often speeled now, +1. Like if you agree!

Also, Frist \Aleph0th.

--Joe

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

Fortunately, exactly zero other annoying internet behaviors have developed during this time. Image
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

tsarna

Postby tsarna » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

FRIST

... is a retired US Senator for Tennessee :wink:

Incarnal

Postby Incarnal » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

First!!! :D

Am I doing the internet right? I hear it's always September here.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:This is why I prefer the One True Thread. Things aren't this ridiculous over there. Sometimes.

I don't know, the most recent couple of newpages have been pretty ridiculous. "Frist!!!1!11" is bad, but I don't know if it has yet to reach c**kie-level EVIL.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

communisteggplant

Postby communisteggplant » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 pm UTC

SEQUENTIAL ORDINAL NUMBER

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Goddammit Randall.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:This is why I prefer the One True Thread. Things aren't this ridiculous over there. Sometimes.

I don't know, the most recent couple of newpages have been pretty ridiculous. "Frist!!!1!11" is bad, but I don't know if it has yet to reach c**kie-level EVIL.

Hmm, yes, I believe I saw something about that glancing at the present. Cookie is now a dirty word too, huh? What's next, cupcake? It'll be interesting to see what that's all about when I ketchup to it...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

Hmm, yes, I believe I saw something about that glancing at the present. Cookie is now a dirty word too, huh? What's next, cupcake? It'll be interesting to see what that's all about when I ketchup to it...

All other baked goods are fine, but c**kies are widely regarded as EVIL.

To stay on-topic for this Otherthread: Sixtieth! :mrgreen:
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

1258th!

(couldn't resist)

Moonfish

Postby Moonfish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Do people still do the “Speak now or forever hold your peace” thing at weddings or is the opportunity of free attention just too hard to pass up for a modern crowd?
Attachments
XKCD cake.jpg
NessaNessa's wedding cake I found on http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/show-me-your-non-traditional-wedding-cakes#axzz2dUqjOnqW
XKCD cake.jpg (7.1 KiB) Viewed 6629 times

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:10 am UTC

+1 deadpool

teelo

Postby teelo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:33 am UTC

Ken_g6 wrote:
sourmìlk wrote: Fortunately, exactly zero other annoying internet behaviors have developed during this time.

As clearly shown by this video. :mrgreen:

oh yeah? :mrgreen:

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Not only is this awesome, but somehow it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling and made me realize how much I love the internet.

I blame all the beers I drank for that.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:13 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:

Yep. I laughed when I learned what Fark.com does - your "first post" post get moved down to a random spot by the moderators so you look like an idiot. Not sure if this is still what they do, actually, as I haven't checked them in years.

The string "first post" gets filtered to "Boobies", the string "first comment" gets filtered to "Weeners", and if either of those strings shows up in the first post of a thread its timestamp is set to 12 hours in the future. And it isn't done by the mods, it's all automated.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

teelo

Postby teelo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:46 am UTC

Klear wrote:

Not only is this awesome, but somehow it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling and made me realize how much I love the internet.

I blame all the beers I drank for that.

heh "stolen from xkcd"

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Moonfish wrote:Do people still do the “Speak now or forever hold your peace” thing at weddings or is the opportunity of free attention just too hard to pass up for a modern crowd?

Certainly in England it's a legal requirement. But there are only a very limited number of grounds for objection, the main one being that one (or both!) of the partners are already married. "She's making a mistake", "He's doing it for the money', "She should be marrying me" and "He doesn't love her" don't cut it, Four Weddings notwithstanding. Still, I get the "wouldn't it be awful if I ..." feeling every time.

ETA: That up- and down-voting thing has some drawbacks of its own. Someone asks a question on StackOverflow, like "how do I delete a whole directory tree". A few people come back with straightforward answers like "rm -rf path/to/dir". Then the OP says it's not working, and people gradually figure out that the OP has rm aliased in their .bashrc, don't have permissions on some of the subdirectories and the -f flag has been deprecated in the latest Ubuntu. Most of this appears in the order it happened, since the later posts involve increasingly subtle gotchas that don't apply to all visitors. But all those "rm -rf" posts appear at the bottom and make those helpful posters look like idiots who haven't read the other posts.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Moonfish wrote:Do people still do the “Speak now or forever hold your peace” thing at weddings or is the opportunity of free attention just too hard to pass up for a modern crowd?

Certainly in England it's a legal requirement. But there are only a very limited number of grounds for objection, the main one being that one (or both!) of the partners are already married. "She's making a mistake", "He's doing it for the money', "She should be marrying me" and "He doesn't love her" don't cut it, Four Weddings notwithstanding. Still, I get the "wouldn't it be awful if I ..." feeling every time.

Already married, underage, legally incompetent... Invalid combination of genders is a tricky one. Some forms of false identity may also be legally relevant.

"He loves someone else" isn't sufficient reason to prevent the wedding, but it's usually something the bride might want to take into consideration...

Vanzetti

Postby Vanzetti » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:17 am UTC

N-th!

shokoshu

Postby shokoshu » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

Needs more desu, ordinalfags...oh wait, this isn't 4chan, right?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

shokoshu wrote:Needs more desu, ordinalfags...oh wait, this isn't 4chan, right?

This is xkcd.

Imagest, btw.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”