1260: "LD50"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rainspeaker

1260: "LD50"

Postby rainspeaker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 am UTC

Title-text: The dose is much lower when administered orally. We're still trying to get the paper into the needles for subcutaneous injection.

Would it really need to be in paper form? I wonder how the toxicity compares when we're talking about SD cards, for example.
Also, does it make sense to you to measure data by the weight of the paper it's printed on?

EDIT: urlified the image
Last edited by rainspeaker on Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Re: 1260: LD50

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:21 am UTC

Data just looks so much more empirical in print.

rainspeaker

Re: 1260: "LD50"

Postby rainspeaker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:24 am UTC

"The Aesthetics of Presenting Empirical Data"
^^ simultaneously worst science and worst critical theory course ever

Rachelkachel

Postby Rachelkachel » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:29 am UTC

This really only measures how much data in general is a lethal dose. To get an amount specifically for toxicity data, the subject should have to read it. One of those volumes should be more than enough to destroy the will to live.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 am UTC

Why is the weight of the toxin twice as high as the weight of the contaminated subject? I once calculated the weight of a single sheet of paper at my night job. It was more fun than what I was doing at the moment.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Antior

Postby Antior » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:49 am UTC

I was reading some MSDSs (material safety data sheets) the other day. They list the LD50 of things, usually tested on rats. I don't think the LD50 makes a lot of sense for mixtures such as paper with ink, only for pure compounds.

Anyway, I don't know if they 'still' do LD50 tests like that. The values can be useful in some cases, for instance it can give doctors and safety workers a good idea of the relative toxicity of compounds.

LD50 means "lethal dose 50%', by the way. The dose at which half of the research population dies. You can imagine those rat tests being kinda horrible. The oral and intravenous tests are bad enough as they are. Wikipedia says that OECD dropped the requirement on oral tests in 2001 and UK has 'taken steps' to ban oral tests. I hope that computer-predicted values, which might be a bit less accurate, will replace these tests. It isn't like this is something we absolutely can't do without like medicine testing.

Anyway, I was going to say, one MSDS I came across (for a salt or an acid, I don't remember, but either way it stings) listed the LD50 for the substance... administered in the eye. That really made me cringe. Can you imagine some person in a white lab suit holding a rat and dripping something that clearly hurts in its little eyes until it dies? Again and again and again to get a good sample size... Yuck. Or did they make a machine to take the human factor out? That doesn't make it any better.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Is this also the LD50 of XKCD? How much is that in strips?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Uzh

Postby Uzh » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:33 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Why is the weight of the toxin twice as high as the weight of the contaminated subject? I once calculated the weight of a single sheet of paper at my night job. It was more fun than what I was doing at the moment.

A friend of mine, a chemist, used to do her integer-calculation by sketching the graph onto a millimeter paper sheet, cut it out and put it onto the analisys scale. It was much more easy and the approximations were close enough.

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:45 am UTC

I dunno - the LD50 of adult weight intimate companions is greater than 2 kg/kg. Perhaps that includes an armed spouse.
Perhaps professional toxicologists are not safe partners. I would like to see a toxicological analysis ...

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:48 am UTC

Antior wrote:Anyway, I was going to say, one MSDS I came across (for a salt or an acid, I don't remember, but either way it stings) listed the LD50 for the substance... administered in the eye. That really made me cringe. Can you imagine some person in a white lab suit holding a rat and dripping something that clearly hurts in its little eyes until it dies? Again and again and again to get a good sample size... Yuck. Or did they make a machine to take the human factor out? That doesn't make it any better.

I picture different things when the topic of animal testing comes up. Like for cosmetics and other "vanity" products. My mind conjures up pictures of white mice with long fluttery eyelashes, rosy cheeks and moist pouty lips. Or the guy down the hall testing breast implants in rabbits: "Hey, have you been to Dr Alistair's lab recently? He's got some bunnies in there that are really stacked!"

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 am UTC

"These t-shirts were tested on animals. They didn't fit" did show up on some labels.

Intimate partners and stacked paper should have different LD50s - paper is considerably stiffer than humans at the weights relevant to us.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:14 am UTC

Iranon wrote:Intimate partners and stacked paper should have different LD50s - paper is considerably stiffer than humans

Well, that depends on how intimate the humans are being...
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Is this also the LD50 of XKCD? How much is that in strips?

Depends on the PPI, or in other words the concentration, of the strips.

If you're printing them on single pieces of paper, then I don't think the 1200 or so strips to this day would be enough to kill anyone, neither by crushing or ingestion. Unless you were testing on lab rats, in which case I think you probably could smash a lab rat to death by dropping a stack of 1200 A4 size XKCD strips on it, and it would probably die if you fed them to it, although as in the comic, I'm not sure how you would get the paper inside the rat. I guess if you made a very thin papier maché you might get it through a syringe, but the rat would likely die of water toxicity rather than XKCD overdose.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 am UTC

Because I feel like infecting sharing.

This is an odetity from the thread which should not be named. Thank you for your time.
I actually was thinking of a more general adaptation...but I forgot it. Sorry. :(

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:46 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:Is this also the LD50 of XKCD? How much is that in strips?

Depends on the PPI, or in other words the concentration, of the strips.

If you're printing them on single pieces of paper, then I don't think the 1200 or so strips to this day would be enough to kill anyone, neither by crushing or ingestion. Unless you were testing on lab rats, in which case I think you probably could smash a lab rat to death by dropping a stack of 1200 A4 size XKCD strips on it, and it would probably die if you fed them to it, although as in the comic, I'm not sure how you would get the paper inside the rat. I guess if you made a very thin papier maché you might get it through a syringe, but the rat would likely die of water toxicity rather than XKCD overdose.

Other possible causes of Death by XKCD:

- Laughter-induced asphyxiation
- Hit by bus while reading comic on smartphone while crossing road
- Lack of sleep caused by blitzing/posting in the OTT
- Starvation caused by ditto
- Loss of job leading to homelessness and consequent drastic drop in life expectancy caused by excessive time spent on the forums
- Murder by partner/spouse/SO incited by same

"It's how (s)he would have wanted to go"
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 am UTC

azule wrote:Because I feel like infecting sharing.

This is an odetity from the thread which should not be named. Thank you for your time.
I actually was thinking of a more general adaptation...but I forgot it. Sorry. :(

It's exactly as confusing as the original. Congrats!

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Other possible causes of Death by XKCD:

- Lack of sleep caused by blitzing/posting in the OTT
- Starvation caused by ditto

Right now the OTT has cookies, so we aren't starving. Unfortunately the cookies are EVIL.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

solune

Postby solune » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:54 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:dropping a stack of 1200 A4 size XKCD strips on it

If you're considering dropping, then "dropping" a stack of paper at 90% of the speed of light can easily kill half of the population of a stadium.

The LD50 of an anti matter printout of xkcd should be even lower. :D

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:57 am UTC

solune wrote:

If you're considering dropping, then "dropping" a stack of paper at 90% of the speed of light can easily kill half of the population of a stadium.

Is that still dropping, though? Sounds more like launching.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:17 pm UTC

rainspeaker wrote:"The Aesthetics of Presenting Empirical Data"
^^ simultaneously worst science and worst critical theory course ever

Ya should have taken it from Ed. Tufte :D
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
solune wrote:

Quite so: I think that if you "drop" something from infinitely "high" onto a planet with no atmosphere, it will hit the surface at the escape velocity. Nothing in our solar system is anything like massive/small enough to get anywhere near 0.9c; even the Sun only gets to 0.002c. Furthermore the formula on Wikipedia doesn't appear to account for relativity, unless it cancels out somehow. You would hit the event horizon of a black hole at c, by definition, but you couldn't build a stadium there ("It Would. Be pulled. Apart. Like. Spaghetti").

project2051

Postby project2051 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Iranon wrote:"These t-shirts were tested on animals. They didn't fit" did show up on some labels.

That reminds me of I've seen "Not tested on animals" labels on aroma therapy candles. Which made me wonder how animal testing of them would be, and I picture a rabbit in a bubble bath with cucumber slices over it's eyes with candles lit around it. And a guy in a lab coat talking into a mic describing the calming effectiveness of the candles on the rabbit.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Klear wrote:
solune wrote:

Quite so: I think that if you "drop" something from infinitely "high" onto a planet with no atmosphere, it will hit the surface at the escape velocity. Nothing in our solar system is anything like massive/small enough to get anywhere near 0.9c; even the Sun only gets to 0.002c. Furthermore the formula on Wikipedia doesn't appear to account for relativity, unless it cancels out somehow. You would hit the event horizon of a black hole at c, by definition, but you couldn't build a stadium there ("It Would. Be pulled. Apart. Like. Spaghetti").

When posting my reply, I considered the stadium being built on a black hole, but... yeah. And even a neutron star only gives you 0.4c.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

Klear wrote:It's exactly as confusing as the original. Congrats!
Hah, thanks. :lol:

I did have this other idea, that I just remembered. You have to look at the comic and see a face in the paper....

Spoiler:
Yes, I know these should be in XKCDSW, but meh.
ld50-sw.png
They became part of the collective data.
ld50-sw.png (24.69 KiB) Viewed 8469 times

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Would have thought it would have been higher. Perhaps one builds up an immunity from exposure?

solune

Postby solune » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:, it will hit the surface at the escape velocity.

Yes I thought of dropping it just at escape velocity, but for a stack of paper if would just burn up in the atmosphere.
In fact the range of mass where a bunch of paper will hit the ground, but not hard enough to kill 50% of a stadium must be very small.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

solune wrote:

Yes I thought of dropping it just at escape velocity, but for a stack of paper if would just burn up in the atmosphere.
In fact the range of mass where a bunch of paper will hit the ground, but not hard enough to kill 50% of a stadium must be very small.

But to get escape velocity you would need to vacate the atmosphere and then the paper wouldn't burn up. But then everyone would asphyxiate before any paper hit them.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Thibaw

Postby Thibaw » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

What is the LD50 of "time"? Something around 70 years? Its pretty scary then, because approx. half of the dose has already been administered to me.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

Thibaw wrote:What is the LD50 of "time"? Something around 70 years? Its pretty scary then, because approx. half of the dose has already been administered to me.

At least we are slowly building resistance to it. It used to be 31 years just 100 years ago...

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
solune wrote:

But to get escape velocity you would need to vacate the atmosphere and then the paper wouldn't burn up. But then everyone would asphyxiate before any paper hit them.

What if we tried more paper?

Spoiler:
Ultimately, we will use enough paper to form a black hole.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
solune wrote:

Anyway, the whole point of going to the stadium, rather than watching the match on TV, is for the atmosphere.
I thank you.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:What if we tried more paper?

Spoiler:
Ultimately, we will use enough paper to form a black hole.

Is it possible to drop a massive black hole on Earth, though? Sounds more like... hmm.. I think there isn't a word for that at all.

adavies42

Postby adavies42 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

and the leading cause of cancer in rats is research....

dexeron

Postby dexeron » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Is that one paper supposed to look like it has a face?
By and by, when the sidewalks are safe for the little guy...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

keithl wrote:I dunno - the LD50 of adult weight intimate companions is greater than 2 kg/kg.
How often do said partners stand on one another's midsection?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

jahwn lemonjello
Location: 3rd spacial dimension, our universe, Milky way, solar system, Earth, The Americas, USA

Postby jahwn lemonjello » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
keithl wrote:I dunno - the LD50 of adult weight intimate companions is greater than 2 kg/kg.
How often do said partners stand on one another's midsection?

Why that would depend on the sort of intimacy one prefers.
Hunting will not be a sport until the U.S. government recognizes the right to arm bears.

While there is a bad way to be weird, there is no good way not to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:50 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Why is the weight of the toxin twice as high as the weight of the contaminated subject? I once calculated the weight of a single sheet of paper at my night job. It was more fun than what I was doing at the moment.

How much did it weigh?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:02 am UTC

orthogon wrote:- Starvation caused by ditto

Vindictive lil' bugger, isn't he?

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

But what's the LDLO for data?

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Thibaw wrote:What is the LD50 of "time"? Something around 70 years? Its pretty scary then, because approx. half of the dose has already been administered to me.

At least we are slowly building resistance to it. It used to be 31 years just 100 years ago...

That's a bit of a misconception. A high infant and child mortality rate and half the country being under the age of 15 around 100 years ago was responsible for the average life expectancy being 30 something. People regularly lived into their 60's and 70's as long as they weren't taken by polio, measles, ect.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”