1262: "Unquote"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joee

1262: "Unquote"

Postby joee » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Alt: I guess it's a saying from the Old Country.

It's sad that quotes lose context :(
Hi glasnt.

rhomboidal

Re: 1262: "Unquote"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:07 am UTC

May "May the Force be with you" live long and prosper.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:17 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:May "May the Force be with you" live long and prosper.

May "Live long and prosper" have the force be with it

Eternal Density

Magnets.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:23 am UTC

Icalasari wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:May "May the Force be with you" live long and prosper.

May "Live long and prosper" have the force be with it
So say we all!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:41 am UTC

Well, obviously on the fourth day of the fifth month, whatever year it happens to be.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:41 am UTC

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Mallorea541

Postby Mallorea541 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:07 am UTC

I got tears in my eyes, thinking about that.

Might have something to do with my Two Steps From Hell music.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Sic transit gloria Ki-Adi-Mundi.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 am UTC

Given the fact that we're still quoting literature and religious books that are several millennia old, and given the impact that Star Wars has left in this time compared to that of other works released since quite a while, I don't think it's going to be unquoted any time soon.

Same with:
- The Lord of The Rings (Even the smallest person can change the course of the future)
- Harry Potter (There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it)
- The Godfather (I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse)

And countless others.

Somewhere in La Mancha, in a place whose name i do not care to remember...
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

YttriumOx

Postby YttriumOx » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:44 am UTC

Locoluis wrote:Same with:
- The Lord of The Rings (Even the smallest person can change the course of the future)
- Harry Potter (There is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to seek it)

I'm quite a fan of Tolkien; have seen the Harry Potter films and didn't care for them; and have not seen the Godfather. However the only one of those three quotes I'd immediately recognise is the Godfather one, as it's the only one I hear quoted around me often. Those other two are basically unknown to me.
I wrote a book... shameless self-promotion inside the spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
Dropping Acid: A Beginner's Guide to the Responsible Use of LSD for Self-Discovery
Available on Amazon as both paperback and Kindle eBook.
You can also be a 'fan' on facebook.

just john

Postby just john » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:57 am UTC

Note from a previous generation;

I have sometimes wondered who the last "Fifth Beatle" was/is/will be.
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:58 am UTC

Given the relentless extension of copyright and of domestic spying, the last time Star Wars will be quoted will be a fraction of a second before the person who unwisely does so is shredded by gunfire from a Disneydrone hovering overhead.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:44 am UTC

A strangely depressing comic today.

saengerbeatle

Postby saengerbeatle » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:11 am UTC

This is something I think about from time to time. Things, that are totally normal for us today will be unknown for future Generations. (I also don't know about alot of stuff that was totally normal for people form previous generations.) Well, ok: Indiana Jones, Terminator, Star Wars and the Godfather are movies that are still very well-known, but at some point in 100 or 200 years nobody will know this movies anymore - either because of a lack of interest or just because there are no copies of these films left.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:14 am UTC

There is no reason not to suspect that something like this has already happened.

kaley

Postby kaley » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:43 am UTC

We already have examples of cultural works that last a very long time. Shakespeare (~1600), Beowulf (8th to 11th century).

What we know about past cultures, from nearly the beginning of recorded history, is gleaned from extremely few manuscripts ... and most of them copies made hundreds of years later. They were also in languages that didn't survive their time without enough changes to make them mostly unrecognizable (Koine Greek vs modern Greek, old English vs modern English).

While we expect our language to change in coming millennia, and file formats probably will also change, for sure people in the year 6000 are going to have a LOT more data about us than we have for the people of 2000BC. They might not have anything from our time anymore, but they can have reproductions that have been translated to new file formats and records of our language and how it changed over time.

It just seems reasonable that thousands of years from now there will be a lot of today still available for anyone who cares. That might be what actually unquotes our culture.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:47 am UTC

kaley wrote:It just seems reasonable that thousands of years from now there will be a lot of today still available for anyone who cares. That might be what actually unquotes our culture.
Inconceivable!
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:43 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

You are awesome, and so is that quote.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Locoluis wrote:Given the fact that we're still quoting literature and religious books that are several millennia old, and given the impact that Star Wars has left in this time compared to that of other works released since quite a while, I don't think it's going to be unquoted any time soon.

Same with:

And countless others.

That second quote sounds very Nietzsche. Particularly considering his books "Beyond Good and Evil" and "The Will to Power". It almost sounds like someone just smashing the titles together.

GreenWyvern

Postby GreenWyvern » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Here's lookin' at ya, kid!

In a few decades Star Wars, LOTR, etc. will all look as dated as 50s and 60s movies do to us today. In a few centuries, as many people will watch them as today read the controversial bestsellers of the 17th and 18th centuries.

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:30 am UTC

I confess I wonder about this a decent amount, but more in the sense of wondering what parts of our culture will endure and be treated as "classic" stuff in the future that you study in school or what not.

20th century music will probably include stuff like the Beatles and George Gershwin.
Someday folks will probably approach Stephen King with a critical eye- if you don't believe me just know that Charles Dickens was pretty much a similar writer in his time (ie popular novels for the masses).
In this vein, I cannot imagine not showing The Wizard of Oz or Star Wars or Disney movies to my grandchildren, even though many of these films will be well over a hundred years old by the time they show up on the scene.

See the thing is we still quote Shakespeare even though he was writing 400 years ago and most people don't realize they're quoting his plays in their everyday speech when they do so, and I don't imagine that changing at all in my lifetime (if I'm very lucky I'll be pushing 500 years after his first play in my lifetime). The difference is now we will have the equivalent of "the original plays" immortalized in their first tellings, so who knows how long they'll last? (Actually probably longer than a lot of other stuff used to, as we now have so many more copies- Shakespeare was nearly lost after he died for example, and some of his plays are lost forever, except someone had the foresight to collect them all.) But as long as they're stories people want to tell and share with their children they will last. I doubt anyone thought Shakespeare was going to last centuries- in fact at the time no one considered him the keystone of English poetry and plays, for example.

That said in all this, I remember when visiting the Shakespeare house in Stratford-upon-Avon they have a clock installed in the year 2000 which was supposed to go until 3000 A.D., to prove the timeliness of Shakespeare. I find that a bit presumptuous because eventually language changes, and genius or not there's not much one can do about it (though hey we still read Homer, just in translation, so I guess Billy's got some hope).

Hope someone else finds this interesting now that I wrote a lot more on this topic than I thought I would. :)

pgr

Postby pgr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 am UTC

And I wonder on what stardate Star Trek will be quoted for the last time...

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:15 am UTC

Unfortunately this as people discuss this comment the phrase "quote, unquote" will increase.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

project2051

Postby project2051 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:15 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:
kaley wrote:It just seems reasonable that thousands of years from now there will be a lot of today still available for anyone who cares. That might be what actually unquotes our culture.
Inconceivable!

You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

A couple of commenters are committing an unsupportable assumption - that the text will survive indefinitely, or at least a very long time.

What does it mean to survive as a quotable text? Not only does the text have to survive, but it has to be widespread and in current circulation. Languishing in archives or in degrading materials will mean its death as a quotable material (outside of academic journals), even if historians and advanced students are still using it.

Survivability is a hard scale to meet though. There are a lot of works that we know about, that we know had a high reputation, that did not survive. These are the works of classical philosophers like Archimedes, plays by Aeschylus, entire religious texts, old French romances (very popular in their day), poems - in Shakespeare's time there are several playwrights who have lost most if not all of their plays (like Thomas Dekker), whose surviving material is *good.*

While the terms of survivability have changed, I don't see the ubiquity of the internet as adding much to survivability. Besides the question of interest, there's the question of the durability of the network itself.
"Stars, I have seen them fall,
But when they drop and die
No star is lost at all
From all the star-sown sky.
The toil of all that be
Helps not the primal fault;
It rains into the sea
And still the sea is salt."
~A.E. Housman

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:31 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:Unfortunately this as people discuss this comment the phrase "quote, unquote" will increase.

This. When I saw the title I hoped that this comic was going to be about this. It's one of my bêtes noires that people say "quote, unquote" followed by the text that they're quoting, when "unquote" should obviously be the closing delimiter. What the blinking heck are they thinking?

I used to find the way quotation marks are used in German extremely annoying, especially when used that way in English. Then, while reading Lynne Truss's Eats, Shoots and Leaves, I suddenly had a revelation. She was discussing people who put things in quotes on a sign, like "Home cooked food!": in the more literate potential customer this creates the impression that the food might not be home-cooked after all. When asked why, they say "because it's me talking". Truss's response is something like "this seems to betray a fundamental misconception of what writing is: it's all you talking". It seems that the German approach looks at it completely inside-out compared to the English way, and recognises that it is indeed all the author talking until they close off their own speech with a "99" on the line and hand over to somebody else's literal words; after the quotation the author's speech resumes with a "66". Maybe the Germans have it right after all. (Don't get me started on how speech is punctuated in French, though.).

This kind of difference reminds me of the stateful right-of-way rules at road intersections: when you approach a junction in much of western Europe, you have to remember whether the last yellow diamond you saw had a line through it or not.

just john wrote:Note from a previous generation;

I have sometimes wondered who the last "Fifth Beatle" was/is/will be.

I always wondered when the headline "It was twenty years ago today" would be used for the last time. It was probably about twenty years ago today. (Unless somebody used it for the anniversary of Lennon's assassination, in which case we'll have to wait until 2020).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Barstro

Postby Barstro » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:Given the fact that we're still quoting literature and religious books that are several millennia old, and given the impact that Star Wars has left in this time compared to that of other works released since quite a while, I don't think it's going to be unquoted any time soon.

Same with:

And countless others.

The difference is that the above quotes have their own value. Without reading LotR or Potter, I know what those quotes mean. Perhaps they are the best said and known example for the messages they are trying to convey, but they are quotes that survive outside of the books. Had I not seen The Godfather, I might not understand the quote, but I'd have some idea.

"May the Force be with you", however, is a moronic thing to say; unless you understand the universe from which the quote comes. Without at least basic knowledge of Star Wars, the listener has no context from which to figure out its meaning.

ijkcomputer

Postby ijkcomputer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

I dunno, I'll happily trade quoting Star Wars for finally getting my darned hovercar.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

Completely OTTification - free enhancement:

schwquote.png
schwquote.png (37.38 KiB) Viewed 8877 times

I can't even imagine a title-text for this.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

Same with:

And countless others.

I thought THE quote from the LOTR was "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.", or is that yet another quote that was only on the movie but you could not find it in the book?

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:
Red Hal wrote:
Inconceivable!

You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means.

Ideas are conceived. So he is saying that what kaley wrote is unthinkable, incredible, that he could not imagine it in his mind... why shouldn't he use that word?

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

I wonder if science fiction will become quoted more if we spread out beyond this solar system?

Mind you, knowing mankind's love of insults...

Get back in your rocket, and f*** off back to Legoland you c***s! - Gary King, The World's End

...maybe we shouldn't.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

saengerbeatle wrote:Indiana Jones, Terminator, Star Wars and the Godfather are movies that are still very well-known, but at some point in 100 or 200 years nobody will know this movies anymore - either because of a lack of interest or just because there are no copies of these films left.

I recall my mother rattling off a list of once-famous movie stars, then giving me a look of faux surprise while saying "what? you haven't heard of them?" Decades later, I'm looking at the stars of current movies and wondering "who dat?" while noting that the stars of my generation are either off the marquee entirely or making "golly it's funny they're so old now" movies like RED and The Last Stand.

Ya start approaching age 50, and suddenly a view of all human recorded history comes into perspective. While not yet having outlived them, you see how "long-lasting" human constructs grow and fade. 100 or 200 years? really isn't that long.

ve_

Postby ve_ » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

maybe related to mouse-over-text

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UdK0lBafM

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

ctdonath wrote:
saengerbeatle wrote:Indiana Jones, Terminator, Star Wars and the Godfather are movies that are still very well-known, but at some point in 100 or 200 years nobody will know this movies anymore - either because of a lack of interest or just because there are no copies of these films left.

I recall my mother rattling off a list of once-famous movie stars, then giving me a look of faux surprise while saying "what? you haven't heard of them?" Decades later, I'm looking at the stars of current movies and wondering "who dat?" while noting that the stars of my generation are either off the marquee entirely or making "golly it's funny they're so old now" movies like RED and The Last Stand.

Ya start approaching age 50, and suddenly a view of all human recorded history comes into perspective. While not yet having outlived them, you see how "long-lasting" human constructs grow and fade. 100 or 200 years? really isn't that long.
How true. Something that lasted a hundred years but is now in a state of disrepair, is something your grandfather could have built as an apprentice .
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

By 2061 no quote will be sustainable.

alcore

Postby alcore » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

There will never be a last time.

In the mid-21st century the George Lucas Foundation will seek out a young film-maker to do a reboot of the entire series "according to the secret notes left behind by the Master"...

The remake will recast Luke, Leia, and Han Solo as Ewoks. Meanwhile the Sith will get a makeover to project their individual powers through a glyph on their belly or forhead like evil care-bears. The Empire will learn how to assemble groups of Sith into "Mega-Sith" monsters, and will call their biggest one "The Death Star". The Jedi will be crushed almost into oblivion by this until Luke learns how to do it too. But in the meantime, he and his friends will discover the lost Lion-Ships of Alderaan and fight bravely until Luke discovers how to combine them into the Obi-Voltron.

Artoo will become a full-grown Transforming Battle-Mech who just wants to make toys for children, and C3P0 will be replaced entirely, since every character in the movie will have their own personal holographic "wrist butler" that nags them about things.

In the fullness of time, the cycle will repeat, with endless sequels, spin-offs, and reboots. In about one thousand years at a retro-media conference being held at the New-Hollywood Metro-Rec complex at Planitia Mons Mars, someone will screen an original print of Star Wars (Episode 4) and everyone will comment that it was nothing like the Star Wars they know. Like Casablanca it will become an adored classic film that nobody really understands, but just seems to have basic IMPORTANCE somehow.

In response the Lucas Foundation will release Star Wars Episode 48: Return of the Cuddle-Friends, where the Ewoks prevent an invasion of the Galaxy by unhappy Frog-People by making friends with them.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

ctdonath wrote:

There is a big difference now, though, in that when most of the people in this forum were growing up, they didn't have much access to older movies. Once a movie ended its run in the theater, that was it. If it was popular enough, it might get a few weeks of rerelease. And you might have a shot sometime in your life of seeing an edited version on network television, assuming you were home that night and didn't have homework.

I work with 90s babies who wear Ghostbusters t-shirts and know that the original SW trilogy is far superior and believe Connery was the best Bond.

So comparing the longevity of movies then to movies now isn't a very good gauge.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Look upon our works, ye mighty, and despair...

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”