1268: "Alternate Universe"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MythSearcher

Re: 1268: "Alternate Universe"

Postby MythSearcher » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 am UTC

I must say, different cultures eat a different variety of foods, no offence, but the Americans have a really narrow variety and is afraid of too many things.
Things that I see individual Americans are afraid of include, but not limited to:
mushroom, because its a fungus and some fungi grow on feet (a single person)
squid
blood (not religious reasons)
internal organs of animals that they eat meat of, like cows, pigs, chickens, goats.

A lot of people say Chinese people eat a great variety, but this is just mainly because part of it eats a few kinds of insects, including ants, croaches, scopions and silk worms.
These are actually not eaten by most of the Chinese people for their whole life, but instead are regular daily food for people in Africa, which includes spiders as well.
These are their best protein intake, is more like a eat or die situation.
Other things that westerners can't stand to see Chinese eating are cats and dogs, which is usually culturally related to pets, cute, so sympathy kicks in and everything seems to be making sense, yet if you look at the French cuisine which includes hare, which looks pretty much the same as rabbits, bunnies, that a lot of people find cute, fluffy and cuddly, and have them as pets, I am not that sure anymore.

I'm from Hong Kong, and I am a pesco/semi vegetarian purely for health reasons, but I don't have a problem in eating horse(tried once, actually really delicious when raw), dogs(rather blend, taste like over cooked pork and texture is like chickens), internal organs, blood, etc. at least for anything that is mammal, fish, shellfish. I do have a bit of a problem with insects, but its just a emotional response from my cleaniness compulsion.

All of these are animals, I have no idea why people see them differently.
I can understand insects looks more disgusting, because usually they are more related to dirty, disease and poison in most cultures.
But lobsters are the same category as crab, shrimps and prawns, so I don't understand why lobster is different.

Logically speaking, I can't find any reason other than a personal emotional response in rejecting certain types of food where others are eating.

MythSearcher

Postby MythSearcher » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:04 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:I may or may not have ingested spiders at some point in my life. What is undeniable is that a spider once tried to ingest me. Never saw her, either, just woke up one morning with a row of five equally-spaced (and incredibly itchy) welts in a perfectly straight line down my forearm. I figure she was fine most of the night, but every time I rolled over in my sleep she took another bite out of me, probably just trying to hang on.

(For those wondering about the pronouns above, my default gender identification for spiders is female. The whole "spinning a web" thing just strikes me as stereotypically feminine.)

I was bitten by a brown recluse before, and that is why I am generally against spiders.
but I still keep most of the spiders I see at home, so they can eat other insects infestion.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:38 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:I may or may not have ingested spiders at some point in my life. What is undeniable is that a spider once tried to ingest me. Never saw her, either, just woke up one morning with a row of five equally-spaced (and incredibly itchy) welts in a perfectly straight line down my forearm. I figure she was fine most of the night, but every time I rolled over in my sleep she took another bite out of me, probably just trying to hang on.

(For those wondering about the pronouns above, my default gender identification for spiders is female. The whole "spinning a web" thing just strikes me as stereotypically feminine.)

In my experience, a string of itchy bites in a line usually comes from an ant, not a spider. Spiders are usually one big one and tend to be painful more so than itchy.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:40 am UTC

Angua wrote:I'm from the universe where lightning was always spelt lightening.
Really? The evidence is mounting in favour of the porous multiverse theory.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 am UTC

If there were spiders around big enough to eat them without too much fuss, I would give them a try.
A lot of it is mostly familiarity - strawberries are very weird with their strange plasticky sheen, seeds sticking out and irregular shapes.

Food considered a delicacy by some but abhorred by others is often very nutritious but potentially dangerous: susceptible to disease, pollution, needing tricky preparation to be safe or spoiling easily.
Roe, organ meat, edible arthropods and mollusks... or, as a delicious combination, like crab butter.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

jgh

Postby jgh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 am UTC

Vlet wrote:spiders .... maybe other insects
How many legs do spiders have in your universe?

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:46 am UTC

Usually seven; they periodically get picked off and eaten by passers by.
Sometimes six if that person was particularly hungry.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:14 am UTC

MythSearcher wrote:(...) but I don't have a problem in eating horse(tried once, actually really delicious when raw), (...)

This reminds me of that scandal not long ago when it came to light that a lot of meat products had horse meat inside, becasue it's cheaper. The interesting thing is that (I heard that) there were blind tests which showed that most people prefer the taste of horse meat, it's just that they are fond of the animals and don't want to. So in short, some companies were fraudulently adding better meat to their products to lower the cost. And the issue was with the fact that it was not labeled as such - horse meat is otherwise perfectly legal.

notxkcd

Postby notxkcd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am UTC

Klear wrote:I came to this universe three days ago, from one where the actor was spelled Jason Stratham.

Must be a fork of my universe where some folks pronounced Heath Ledger as if it were Keith Ledger.
http://notxkcd.com/
a webcomic about life (and xkcd occasionally).

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:41 am UTC

notxkcd wrote:
Klear wrote:I came to this universe three days ago, from one where the actor was spelled Jason Stratham.

Must be a fork of my universe where some folks pronounced Heath Ledger as if it were Keith Ledger.

Ummm.. isn't that this universe? http://cs.forvo.com/word/heath_ledger/

RobFreundlich

Postby RobFreundlich » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

zimdelinvasor wrote:I registered an account on here just to say that I'm the exact same way and I have never known anyone else to be as weirded out by the idea of eating lobsters as I am.
It's especially bad when I go up to Maine where my dad grew up and it's people eating lobsters everywhere.

Time to start a list, then! Add my wife and me (and, apparently, Randall) to it.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:34 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
MythSearcher wrote:(...) but I don't have a problem in eating horse(tried once, actually really delicious when raw), (...)

This reminds me of that scandal not long ago when it came to light that a lot of meat products had horse meat inside, becasue it's cheaper. The interesting thing is that (I heard that) there were blind tests which showed that most people prefer the taste of horse meat, it's just that they are fond of the animals and don't want to. So in short, some companies were fraudulently adding better meat to their products to lower the cost. And the issue was with the fact that it was not labeled as such - horse meat is otherwise perfectly legal.

the problem with this was that the horsemeat wasn't properly checked by a veterinarian. that's why it was so cheap.

anyway, i have a problem with eating any animals filled digestive tract, that's why i don't want to eat insects.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:40 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
(Side thought on a related topic: everything that's not generally considered "food" is described as tasting like chicken. Iguana? Tastes like chicken. Capybara? Tastes like chicken. Tasmanian devil? Kind of like chicken, but chewier. Maybe that's the flavor of things we're not supposed to eat. Which implies that we're not really meant to be eating the chickens either. Maybe they're here to supply the eggs, and eating the parent bird was a mistake made a long time ago that somehow propagated.)

You clearly will like this song.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:45 pm UTC

I'm from the universe where "spelt lightening" was always spelled "spelled lightning" :mrgreen:

Unless, of course, my specialty flour was about to give birth, in which case the first form is exactly correct.
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:47 pm UTC

dalcde wrote:Title-text: "[...] and the thing where some of you occasionally change your clocks for some reason."

No takers? There are very good and well-documented reasons some of us change our clocks occasionally. To avoid boring anybody I will spoilerise the following summary.
Spoiler:
1. Clocks eventually stop working and need to be replaced.
2. Clocks are an item of decor, with aesthetic as well as chronographic purposes, and hence are sometimes changed to match changing fashions.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

FreeElectron

Postby FreeElectron » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Aaaah, the kerning....
Damn you Randall, for teaching me to recognize this!

marsilies

Postby marsilies » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
dalcde wrote:Title-text: "[...] and the thing where some of you occasionally change your clocks for some reason."

No takers? There are very good and well-documented reasons some of us change our clocks occasionally. To avoid boring anybody I will spoilerise the following summary.
Spoiler:
2. Clocks are an item of decor, with aesthetic as well as chronographic purposes, and hence are sometimes changed to match changing fashions.

I actually thought the "changing your clocks" thing was a reference to Daylight Saving Time.

marsman57

Re: Grapevine grapevine.

Postby marsman57 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I occasionally find myself in an alternate universe in which my family remember having an entirely different conversation to the one I remember having.

Are you married? If not, at least you're getting a good preparation for it.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

lobster-fight-man.jpg

Giant cockroach from the sea.jpg

Speaking in memes.jpg

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

I'm from the universe where "spelt lightening" was always spelled "spelled lightning" :mrgreen:

Unless, of course, my specialty flour was about to give birth, in which case the first form is exactly correct.

Yeah, some people don't seem to use spelt as the past participle of spell. Not sure why.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I've always said that the most unappetizing thing about eating bugs is that you have to eat them whole because of their small size. If someone were to genetically engineer a giant cockroach that could be cracked open and eaten the way you eat a lobster, I'd probably eat it. Whether the scientists responsible wanted me to or not, because hey, it's a giant freaking cockroach; I'm not about to risk that thing accidentally getting loose. What are you, crazy? Don't genetically engineer giant bugs, idiots! Nothing good ever comes from that!

What would you consider a giant cockroach? I think the 1 dm cockroaches that live in some places would be workable, you only need to clean one or two with your meal, provided you also eat vegetables (probably one, but two if you want to eat way too much and get fat, like many people in Western countries...).

EDIT: They occur naturally.
Last edited by PinkShinyRose on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:32 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Burton

Postby Burton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

marsilies wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Spoiler:

I actually thought the "changing your clocks" thing was a reference to Daylight Saving Time.

How does daylight savings time involve "changing your clocks"? In this universe, daylight savings time is where everyone who "normally" goes to work at 9:00AM goes to work at 8:00AM in the spring. Then in the fall, they all switch back to 9:00AM again. I'm not in another universe again, am I? I was just getting used to the last one.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

I grew up in Indiana, which at the time did not honor daylight savings time. (Now in the U.S. it's only Hawaii, Arizona, and that weird town from the last episode of Quantum Leap that don't.) So, I first learnt about changing clocks in the 1990's; therefore I am against it - but AFAIK Randall grew up in Massachusetts?

Also, TIL dilemna is incorrect. I must be from that universe too. My college roommate claimed to be from a universe identical to our own, except that the capital of Oregon was Portland. I like the notion that infinite multiverses may imply everyone's unique set of "facts" are correct in a certain universe.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

I've purposefully set my region on my Mac to George Town in the Cayman Islands just so I can have the Standard time on my computer and phone throughout the Daylight Savings nonsense. It's amazing how easy it is to get one's self into the habit of getting up at 4:30 AM and leave work around 3:00 PM.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

I don't think a place which can be reached by a normal aeroplane counts as an alternate universe.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:56 pm UTC

I can't relate to this one at all. Lobster tastes great: there's nothing weird about eating it.

notxkcd

Postby notxkcd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
notxkcd wrote:

Ummm.. isn't that this universe? http://cs.forvo.com/word/heath_ledger/

I invoke the universal philosophical refutation: That's what you say! :-)
http://notxkcd.com/
a webcomic about life (and xkcd occasionally).

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

Heh. Replace "spiders" with "woodlice". Woodlice are the closest terrestrial relatives of the various "food" crustaceans that most of us are likely to encounter.

Also, one generation's peasant food becoming a later generation's delicacy (as a couple of people noted about Maine lobsters) happened with oysters. Victorian middens excavated in London are full of oyster shells.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Tkun

Postby Tkun » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

LolTheForce wrote:I am pretty sure that spiders-crawling-into-your-mouth-while-you're-sleeping thing is a myth. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Other than that, I am a vegan so I fee lthe same way about ALL animal products that people eat.

Some people eat spiders as their local cuisine, others eat bugs with their food without knowing it.

Vegetables are full of bugs and it is inviable to remove them all for preparing. Here are some examples of acceptable levels according to the FDA:

BROCCOLI, FROZEN
(AOAC 945.82) Average of 60 or more aphids and/or thrips and/or mites per 100 grams

CITRUS FRUIT JUICES, CANNED
(AOAC 970.72) 5 or more Drosophila and other fly eggs per 250 ml or 1 or more maggots per 250 ml

MACARONI AND NOODLE PRODUCTS
(AOAC 969.41) Average of 225 insect fragments or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

SESAME SEEDS
(MPM-V32) Average of 5% or more seeds by weight are insect-infested or damaged

CHOCOLATE AND CHOCOLATE LIQUOR
(AOAC 965.38) Average is 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams when 6 100-gram subsamples are examined
OR
Any 1 subsample contains 90 or more insect fragments

So everybody eats bug every day. Even in a nice vegan sesame broccoli pasta with orange juice as drink and chocolate as dessert you can easily eat hundreds of bugs without noticing it.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

joeyvalentine wrote:This is how I feel about people who use "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with "h."

That's an honest statement, I'll grant you.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
(Side thought on a related topic: everything that's not generally considered "food" is described as tasting like chicken. Iguana? Tastes like chicken. Capybara? Tastes like chicken. Tasmanian devil? Kind of like chicken, but chewier. Maybe that's the flavor of things we're not supposed to eat. Which implies that we're not really meant to be eating the chickens either. Maybe they're here to supply the eggs, and eating the parent bird was a mistake made a long time ago that somehow propagated.)

When I saw the URL with the song title in it, I was sure it was going to be the song "TLC (Tastes Like Chicken)" by Jeordie (daughter of Melanie of "Brand New Key" fame). I've seen Jeordie perform a dozen times, and she always includes that song. (At one show she even hugged me. Twice.)

Burton

Postby Burton » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

Tkun wrote:
LolTheForce wrote:I am pretty sure that spiders-crawling-into-your-mouth-while-you're-sleeping thing is a myth. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Other than that, I am a vegan so I fee lthe same way about ALL animal products that people eat.

Some people eat spiders as their local cuisine, others eat bugs with their food without knowing it.

Vegetables are full of bugs and it is inviable to remove them all for preparing. Here are some examples of acceptable levels according to the FDA:

BROCCOLI, FROZEN
(AOAC 945.82) Average of 60 or more aphids and/or thrips and/or mites per 100 grams

CITRUS FRUIT JUICES, CANNED
(AOAC 970.72) 5 or more Drosophila and other fly eggs per 250 ml or 1 or more maggots per 250 ml

MACARONI AND NOODLE PRODUCTS
(AOAC 969.41) Average of 225 insect fragments or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples

SESAME SEEDS
(MPM-V32) Average of 5% or more seeds by weight are insect-infested or damaged

CHOCOLATE AND CHOCOLATE LIQUOR
(AOAC 965.38) Average is 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams when 6 100-gram subsamples are examined
OR
Any 1 subsample contains 90 or more insect fragments

So everybody eats bug every day. Even in a nice vegan sesame broccoli pasta with orange juice as drink and chocolate as dessert you can easily eat hundreds of bugs without noticing it.

Wow, there are certainly a lot of bugs in veggies! Vegans typically eat more vegetable matter (replacing meat with something like tofu) than non-vegetarians. I wonder if that means, on average, that vegans eat more animals than non-vegetarians? ("more animals" meaning purely a higher number of animals, not a higher amount of animal). It would be an interesting, ironic, but totally meaningless statistic.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
da Doctah wrote:

When I saw the URL with the song title in it, I was sure it was going to be the song "TLC (Tastes Like Chicken)" by Jeordie (daughter of Melanie of "Brand New Key" fame). I've seen Jeordie perform a dozen times, and she always includes that song. (At one show she even hugged me. Twice.)

Well, it has to be asked: does she wear a visor? :P
Former OTTer

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
joeyvalentine wrote:This is how I feel about people who use "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with "h."

That's an honest statement, I'll grant you.

Hey, I did that an hour or two ago. But I fear that anyone who didn't notice would have thought I was an human rights abuser.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Rodion Raskolnikov
Alyona Ivanovna knows what you did last summer

Postby Rodion Raskolnikov » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

I was looking at a crawfish very close up yesterday and thought the same thing. How can anyone want to eat them, they look like aliens. Cool, disgusting aliens.

On an unrelated note, I also saw a horseshoe crab. Those things are awesome. Also look like aliens though.

Yo Rodja's kind of a dick, those are the facts / He murdered a pawnbroker with an axe
Now Dosoyevsky is here to teach you / About his problems with the philosophy of Nietzsche

~ ahammel

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:42 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Klear wrote:

the problem with this was that the horsemeat wasn't properly checked by a veterinarian. that's why it was so cheap.

Yeah, the problem wasn't the presence of horsemeat qua horsemeat, but the presence of undeclared contaminants that revealed insufficient quality control on the supply chain and raised the question of what else was in that mystery meat...

javahead

Postby javahead » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:I've always said that the most unappetizing thing about eating bugs is that you have to eat them whole because of their small size. If someone were to genetically engineer a giant cockroach that could be cracked open and eaten the way you eat a lobster, I'd probably eat it. Whether the scientists responsible wanted me to or not, because hey, it's a giant freaking cockroach; I'm not about to risk that thing accidentally getting loose. What are you, crazy? Don't genetically engineer giant bugs, idiots! Nothing good ever comes from that!

One could probably make a good steak out of this:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wired ... balus2.jpg

atomfullerene

Postby atomfullerene » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:Also, one generation's peasant food becoming a later generation's delicacy (as a couple of people noted about Maine lobsters) happened with oysters. Victorian middens excavated in London are full of oyster shells.

It's not just coincidence in either case. Lobsters taste _awful_ if you don't eat them immediately after they are killed. That's why they are just about the only live animal you will see for sale in any grocery store. They were provided as trash food to poor people because, before the invention of live-wells on boats and air transport, they _were_ trash food. Now that they can be shipped live all over the country, they are a much higher quality food item.

Oysters were once much more common and thus a good cheap source of protein for the masses (at least, in coastal-estuary areas like London). But decades of overharvesting as well as increasing levels of pollution due to industrialization made oysters scarce, and therefore expensive.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:Also, one generation's peasant food becoming a later generation's delicacy (as a couple of people noted about Maine lobsters) happened with oysters. Victorian middens excavated in London are full of oyster shells.

Works the other way around, as with potatoes.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

markfiend wrote:Heh. Replace "spiders" with "woodlice". Woodlice are the closest terrestrial relatives of the various "food" crustaceans that most of us are likely to encounter.

The closest ones taxonomically or gastronomically?

Do they have tails to jump? Or claws to crush things? Or any other source of edible glutamate?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”