1271: Hilighting

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bastor

1271: Hilighting

Postby Bastor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:06 am UTC

Alt Text: And if clicking on any word pops up a site search for articles about that word, I will close all windows in a panic and never come back.

Thank god I'm not the only one who does that xD

rhomboidal

Re: 1271: Hilighting

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:07 am UTC

You're THIS close to playing mental text-block Tetris, Munroe. Sickness...

SomeoneSomewhere

Postby SomeoneSomewhere » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:12 am UTC

The last issue is easily avoided by a)not using a Webkit-based browser (if text is a link), and b) disabling JS that prevents you from doing such.

I generally tend to do the variant where you scroll, trying to keep the cursor on clear space. And often realise whatever I'm reading scrolls by page, so it's pointless...

GodelianKnot

Postby GodelianKnot » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Is it just me, or does this spelling (misspelling?) of "highlight" make anyone else cringe? Is this a regional thing? (Or did I miss something?)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:40 am UTC

AAA I CAN'T HIGHLIGHT THE TEXT IN THE COMIC!!!

I notice when the mouse cursor is exactly the same height as the selection, or two more, or two less. If it's one more or one less then I can't fit the cursor symmetrically in the selection; so annoying.
I also like when the start and end of the selection is at exactly the same pixel horizontally, two lines apart.

Snopes is one of those evil sites that disables highlighting. And if you select all, you can't unselect normally. (Although it seems to work normally on the home page.)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she(?)(?(?)(?))(?(?(?))(?))(?) · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...
flicky1991 wrote:In both cases the quote is "I'm being quoted too much!"

Great Justice

Postby Great Justice » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 am UTC

I only highlight one line or the first word on a line to keep track of where I am on "walls" of text, or pages with wide columns to not skip or re-read lines.

I do do that text selection thing on ytmnd there was a ytmnd of.
It usually isn't Congress or the State that tries to abridge free expression or free speech, [...] actually, in the present situation, the main threat to expression comes from public opinion.
~Christopher Hitchens

enigmamf

Postby enigmamf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:45 am UTC

[CLICKING TO HIGHLIGHT TEXT IS DISABLED]

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who hates Snopes… I get downvoted on Reddit every time I point out that Snopes uses javascript to prevent you from selecting text.

Antior

Postby Antior » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:06 am UTC

I do absentmindedly select stuff on pages. Don't try to get it symmetrical unless I'm bored because it's a long text I need to read.

It might be one of those little OCD-things people have.

joee

Postby joee » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 am UTC

Dammit Randall. irssi broke my ability to spell "highlight" correctly. You're NOT HELPING :(
Hi glasnt.

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Oh me yarm I'm a neurotic highlighter too!

*high five for nerd*
/s/

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:19 am UTC

I prefer having the start and the end of the zone at the same column, i.e. something like:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Symmetry doesn't matter imo.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:27 am UTC

Wow, I always thought I was the only one who randomly selected large amounts of text while reading. People who see me behind a pc always comment on it, at least.

It often leads to trouble when I accidentally hit links, though indeed sites with word-search popups are even worse. Sites that disable selecting text just hopelessly confuse me - it feels like I'm suddenly reading a foreign language, the words just don't make sense without the ability to select them. Unlike Randall though I don't care about the symmetry of the selected area.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 am UTC

Bastor wrote:if clicking on any word pops up a site search for articles about that word, I will close all windows in a panic and never come back.

Sound policy. That kind of behavior is beyond creepy.

Last time I updated the software on my iPod Touch, I discovered that the Cut/Copy/Paste menu in Notes had acquired a spellcheck (labeled "Suggest") and dictionary (labeled "Define") capability. Select a word and then hit Define, and you get a dictionary entry, complete with etymological derivation, pronunciation guide, sample sentences, and idiomatic phrases containing the word (defining "yellow", for example, includes explanations of "yellow alert" and "yellow peril").

But with some words, something else is going on. When I absent-mindedly asked it to define the word "watchband", the definition came out in Japanese.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:03 am UTC

My only desire is for the highlighter to cooperate with me on highlighting exactly what I want it to. Besides that, I have no issues.

Chrisette

Postby Chrisette » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 am UTC

I always thought I was the only one. I like to say I have Obsessive Highlighting Disorder!

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:23 am UTC

His misspelling of highlighting rustles my jimmies more the uniform, OCD selections of text.

Jiffy

Postby Jiffy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 am UTC

I subconsciously mental-hilight text when reading physical words, but instead of making them symmetrical I try to make them have equal "diameter" ( I know that's not what it's called) like this:

BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.
BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH.
BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:35 am UTC

chridd wrote:I notice when the mouse cursor is exactly the same height as the selection, or two more, or two less. If it's one more or one less then I can't fit the cursor symmetrically in the selection; so annoying.

I do just that.

My own hilighting thing is to select the end of one word and the beginning of the next word so that the selection blocks on different sides of the space are the same length but span a different number of letters. For instance in the phrase "same length" as it appears on my screen selecting "e l" isn't right since l is so much narrower than e, neither is "e le", but "me len" is pretty close.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

scharb

Postby scharb » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:05 am UTC

I'm fond of triple-clicking to get the whole paragraph... now THAT is subconsciously satisfying.

Screw those click-search sites!

Philip Thomas

Postby Philip Thomas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:27 am UTC

GodelianKnot wrote:Is it just me, or does this spelling (misspelling?) of "highlight" make anyone else cringe? Is this a regional thing? (Or did I miss something?)

It isn't just you. At first I thought it was an Americanism, but now I'm thinking Randall's just trying to annoy us. It wouldn't be the first time.
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:28 am UTC

GodelianKnot wrote:Is it just me, or does this spelling (misspelling?) of "highlight" make anyone else cringe? Is this a regional thing? (Or did I miss something?)

Me, too. If you're going to shorten "highlight" why not go all the way and say "hilite"? But I guess "hilight" is marginally better than "highlite". OTOH, I guess "lite" almost always means the opposite of "heavy" rather than the opposite of "dark".

marky1991

Postby marky1991 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:35 am UTC

Not an americanism. (Online) Webster's doesn't even recognize it as a word. I'm as disgusted as you are.

Promac

Postby Promac » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:45 am UTC

The spelling is annoying me a lot.

And the comma...

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:56 am UTC

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hilight
hilight
    Common misspelling of highlight.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:

Me, too. If you're going to shorten "highlight" why not go all the way and say "hilite"? But I guess "hilight" is marginally better than "highlite". OTOH, I guess "lite" almost always means the opposite of "heavy" rather than the opposite of "dark".

Just for fun, I dug through my drawer of pens to see what my highlighters had written on them. I found four different kinds:

Sharpie® ACCENT® RETRACTABLE w/ SMEAR GUARD
STAPLES® Highlighter hype!
BiC® brite liner Grip
Avery® HI-LITER® Fluorescent Marker

Sharpie dodges the debate altogether, Staples goes traditional but adds a peppy brand name after it, BiC bastardizes "bright" rather than "high," and Avery goes all the way like PM 2Ring suggested, though "liter" just makes me thirsty.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

zeehio

Postby zeehio » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:20 am UTC

1. Select text absentmindedly.
2. Cheap_ optical mouse decides to move to the top left corner scrolling up to the first paragraph.
3. ARRRGGH!!!.
4. Be too absentminded to buy a new mouse. Repeat.

Jorlem

Postby Jorlem » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:23 am UTC

So I'm not the only one that does this. :D

And those 'click to search' sites are what originally drove me to start using ad-block. I used it to block the individual page elements that make up the search pop up. I know there are easier ways, but none gave the same satisfaction of killing those searches as that did, taking them apart piece by piece.

Philbert

Postby Philbert » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:00 am UTC

I always do this while reading text. It just helps cement the text in my head by putting emphasis where I think it's needed.
I learned that I do this when I started working with Jira. You can't do this in Jira because when you click the text it immediately switches to edit mode. This is highly annoying and a much fanned change request has been living in Jira's support pages for a long time now.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:34 am UTC

well, we all track the text on paper with a finger, too, don't we?

actually, i think that is a symptom of bad layout, with too wide columns. if you have a browser window maximised on your widescreen monitor and the text spans the whole width, its no wonder you need a way to keep track of he line you are on.
the best width is when you don't have to move your head when reading, newspapers know this.

Willl

Postby Willl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:59 am UTC

Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this? Like many of the others here I've always assumed it was a weird neurotic thing that only I did. Obviously finding out Randall and at least a few xkcders also do it is pretty cool, but would be interesting to know if this is just positive results bias with the large xkcd sample size or if this is indeed one of those things that most people do without even thinking other people might do the same...

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 am UTC

HEAD. OUT. OUT, RANDALL, OUT.

Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this?

To be fair, I don't spend much time lining up highlighted blocks into symmetrical shapes, but I actually do highlight most stuff as I'm reading it. Mostly only thicker paragraphs, but I've caught myself doing it on even single sentences, even single lines of text, and even things as small as posts on Twitter.

I don't do it in text chats / IRC, however.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Kieryn

Postby Kieryn » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:17 am UTC

Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this? Like many of the others here I've always assumed it was a weird neurotic thing that only I did. Obviously finding out Randall and at least a few xkcders also do it is pretty cool, but would be interesting to know if this is just positive results bias with the large xkcd sample size or if this is indeed one of those things that most people do without even thinking other people might do the same...

My wife doesn't do this. She is annoyed by the fact that I totally do it all the time, even when I'm showing her an article.
Image- Kieryn

Director, Time Foundation Data Analysis Department
http://its-all-related.org

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:My only desire is for the highlighter to cooperate with me on highlighting exactly what I want it to. Besides that, I have no issues.

Yeah, we all want World Peace too. Dream on, you crazy idealist. ;)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Laimbrane

Postby Laimbrane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:00 pm UTC

It makes me feel so happy inside to know that I'm not the only one that compulsively highlights text! Although I'm not so worried about symmetry, per se; I start at the top of a paragraph and drag down until the whole page is highlighted. When this works, it feels really good... like a "peeling that plastic off of new phones" level of good. When it doesn't, it can get really frustrating.

The internet has ruined me, btw.

Laimbrane

Postby Laimbrane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this? Like many of the others here I've always assumed it was a weird neurotic thing that only I did. Obviously finding out Randall and at least a few xkcders also do it is pretty cool, but would be interesting to know if this is just positive results bias with the large xkcd sample size or if this is indeed one of those things that most people do without even thinking other people might do the same...

I'm the only one I know that does this; as a teacher, I get students giving me weird looks and asking about it all the time. I think it's rare.

mousewiz

Postby mousewiz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:04 pm UTC

Kieryn wrote:

My wife doesn't do this. She is annoyed by the fact that I totally do it all the time, even when I'm showing her an article.

s/wife/girlfriend/

I'm glad to discover I'm not the only one =D

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

I'm guessing that you assiduously avoid reading anything before the late 1700s, or maybe even the early 1800s, when English spelling "standards" were finally accepted by most of the population of native speakers. Even then, English has never had a single official spelling standard. We've relied on our dictionary makers to do the job, but they've never really considered it a major part of their job description. And we've always had two sets of conflicting standards, British and American. But they don't even all agree within their respective countries.

If it's important to you to have actual standards for spelling, you should probably move to France or Germany or one of the few other countries that have official spelling standards. Maybe you should avoid Germany for a few decades, though, considering the way that the population has reacted to the changed spelling of a handful of words back in 1996. It's still one of the more contentious issues in German politics.

If you insist on living in an English-speaking country, though, you just have to learn tolerance for our insane spelling "system", and patience with our inability to Do Something About It. It'll probably take a few more centuries, at least, and English may never have a sensible spelling system.

J.Valminuto

Postby J.Valminuto » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:12 pm UTC

Has anyone else noticed that the second line, the first with a check, isn't symmetrical? I measured it on my screen at default zoom: One side is 1 9/16" and the other is 1 7/8". That's obviously not the same, and is a pretty big difference on a ruler.

wolfticket

Postby wolfticket » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:28 pm UTC

Ah, I'm not alone in doing this :)

Although it's probably not a good thing. I fear all the extra unnecessary right forefinger action might give me early onset RSI. I sometimes wish I could just read.

Also, everyone else has a large armoury of tools to deal with any site that has the nerve to prevent right clicking/selecting, right? I mean, it's a matter of principal. A matter of principle that should be upheld with extreme prejudice.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 pm UTC

jc wrote:

I'm guessing that you assiduously avoid reading anything before the late 1700s, or maybe even the early 1800s, when English spelling "standards" were finally accepted by most of the population of native speakers. Even then, English has never had a single official spelling standard. We've relied on our dictionary makers to do the job, but they've never really considered it a major part of their job description. And we've always had two sets of conflicting standards, British and American. But they don't even all agree within their respective countries.

If it's important to you to have actual standards for spelling, you should probably move to France or Germany or one of the few other countries that have official spelling standards. Maybe you should avoid Germany for a few decades, though, considering the way that the population has reacted to the changed spelling of a handful of words back in 1996. It's still one of the more contentious issues in German politics.

If you insist on living in an English-speaking country, though, you just have to learn tolerance for our insane spelling "system", and patience with our inability to Do Something About It. It'll probably take a few more centuries, at least, and English may never have a sensible spelling system.

Yes, yes, I agree that there is no absolute right and wrong, that descriptivism is a more sensible approach than prescriptivism, and that lots of words have alternative spellings and regional variations in spelling. It's just that highlighting isn't one of those words. Even if you take a descriptivist approach, you'd have to conclude that there's no such word as hilighting. Google ngrams refuses to even plot a graph of it, and the graph of highlight vs hilight pretty much says it all (highlight beats hilight by four orders of magnitude).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”