1274: Open Letter

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Steve the Pocket
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:02 am UTC
Location: Going downtuuu in a Luleelurah!

1274: Open Letter

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 am UTC

Image

Mouseover caption: Are you ok? Do you need help?

Here's the thing — who ever said they were all working in conjunction? If all these shadowy organizations really do exist and really do have actual power, wouldn't it be more likely that they'd be rivals? That would certainly explain the state of affairs better than what Randall's jokingly suggesting.

Edit: And part of that rivalry would likely involve keeping their true identities secret from one another just like they have from the general populace. I imagine each one of them only believes in half of the others at most, and that's only because, as a shadowy conspiracy themselves, they would acknowledge that other shadowy conspiracies are likely to be out there.
Last edited by Steve the Pocket on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1274: Open letter

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Even the lizard people throw their clawed, scaly, twisted hand-feet up in disgusted frustration.

zedtwitz
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:08 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby zedtwitz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:27 am UTC

Beat me to it! They are all controlling EACH OTHER!

Milnoc
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Milnoc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:30 am UTC

I'm so glad I'm only a Canadian observer to this massive cluster-fornication.

moddyfire
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:30 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby moddyfire » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:33 am UTC

I imagine each one of them only believes in half of the others at most


Most of them exist without doubts, e.g. Google.

User avatar
ahammel
My Little Cabbage
Posts: 2135
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC
Location: Vancouver BC
Contact:

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby ahammel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:48 am UTC

Milnoc wrote:I'm so glad I'm only a Canadian observer to this massive cluster-fornication.

Unfortunately, you're not just an observer. Said shitfuckstupidity is unlikely to do anything good to our economy.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

bob_deloach
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:37 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby bob_deloach » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:54 am UTC

You list the social clubs with their secret handshakes and secret codes - all childish stuff.
But, conspicuously absent is the truly secret society which owns all of the world's currencies - The Pilgrims Society.

User avatar
Wildcard
Candlestick!
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:42 am UTC
Location: Outside of the box

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Wildcard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:00 am UTC

I suppose "Walmart" is included to show that any other group MIGHT be in there as a joke—even though no other group IS in as a joke. Edit: Whoops, missed Google and the Lizard People. And probably some others I'm not familiar with enough to know if they're jokes or not. (George Soros?)

As a Scientologist myself for the last nine years, I have to say this strip is mildly offensive. Not severely—since it's not really an insult, just inaccurate. (Come on, Randall. You can do a better job sorting out fact from rumor.) We don't secretly control the government. We DO have a positive influence on the handling of several of the problems in this country (and other countries)—illiteracy and drugs, to name a couple—but there's nothing secret about it. http://www.scientology.org/how-we-help/ ... ction.html Scientology is a religion, not a secret society or whatever, and it's not complimentary to us to be added into this list of non-religious groups.

But I will agree, as an American, that our government's current activity (or lack of it, I guess) is definitely embarrassing.
Last edited by Wildcard on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There's no such thing as a funny sig.

jagot
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:56 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby jagot » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:02 am UTC

I think you will find, the number of secret organizations required to explain the situation, drastically decreases when you take the tea drinking elephants into account. What more, the whole situation affects not only the US and neighbouring countries through the close coupling of world economy to the US one, a fatal design flaw that would send an engineer straight back to the design table, lest he got sacked before.

johnca
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby johnca » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Maybe whatever conspiratorial forces are at work want this sort of mess. It certainly grabs the headlines, overshadowing - for a time - NSA revelations (which might be a real threat to them). It also feeds the two-party narrative, keeping more people fighting for Democrats or Republicans (tastes great! less filling!), which keeps politics safely in the realm of circuses and out of the realm of questioning the screwed-up-ness of the system as a whole.

User avatar
ManaUser
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby ManaUser » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:21 am UTC

Wildcard wrote:We don't secretly control the government. We DO have a positive influence on the handling of several of the problems in this country

That's what they all say.

(Except the Illuminati and the lizard people, who stubbornly deny existing at all.)
Last edited by ManaUser on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YttriumOx
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:08 pm UTC
Location: Hannover, Germany
Contact:

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby YttriumOx » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:22 am UTC

Wildcard wrote:I suppose "Walmart" is included to show that any other group MIGHT be in there as a joke—even though no other group IS in as a joke.

As a Scientologist myself for the last nine years, I have to say this strip is mildly offensive. Not severely—since it's not really an insult, just inaccurate. (Come on, Randall. You can do a better job sorting out fact from rumor.) We don't secretly control the government. We DO have a positive influence on the handling of several of the problems in this country (and other countries)—illiteracy and drugs, to name a couple—but there's nothing secret about it. http://www.scientology.org/how-we-help/ ... ction.html

But I will agree, as an American, that our government's current activity (or lack of it, I guess) is definitely embarrassing.

I figured it wouldn't take long until someone complained along these lines, but I didn't expect it to be someone who is actually a member of one of the groups listed (shame it wasn't a lizard person really...).
You've missed the point - Randall isn't saying any of these groups actually secretly control the government; this is a list of groups that people have said control the government (and the joke is that clearly they're doing a pretty bad job of it). Surely as a scientologist, you're aware of the extremely large amount of negative press associated with your organisation? Surely you've at least once heard the crazy rumour that scientology is secretly controlling the government? So, don't take scientology's listing as being indicative of anything other than the fact that this is something people are known to say about it.
If there were a persistent and popular rumour that bald guys control the government, they'd be included in the list as well.

(on a side note, I do think you're bat-shit crazy for being a scientologist, but that's actually beside the point here)
I wrote a book... shameless self-promotion inside the spoiler tag.
Spoiler:
Dropping Acid: A Beginner's Guide to the Responsible Use of LSD for Self-Discovery
Available on Amazon as both paperback and Kindle eBook.
You can also be a 'fan' on facebook.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 864
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:23 am UTC

See, this is the very reason I don't buy into conspiracy theories. As recent events have clearly shown, people in power can't do anything right even when they're doing it in full view of everybody and with the overwhelming support of the majority of the governed. To posit that someone can carry out a complex campaign as well as keep its very existence secret at the same time is too much of a stretch of my credulity.

Besides, everyone knows it's actually Jay Leno working with the Osmond family who are really running things.

WilliamLehnsherr
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:48 am UTC

I was literally reading Them by Jon Ronson right before I saw this comic. (A book about extremists and other people who believe in the New World Order, for those who don't know). Seriously, about a minute ago I put the book down, sat down at my laptop, and came to XKCD to see if Monday's comic had been posted.

COINCIDENCE?!?!

...well, yeah. Obviously.

User avatar
Quicksilver
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Raptor Jesus will lie in wait while the rest screw it up. Then He will bring about the velocirapture.

Themanbehindtheman
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:52 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Themanbehindtheman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:56 am UTC

Your concern has been noted, citizen. Rest assured, in but a handful of years things will be so different as to be unrecognizable.

westrim
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby westrim » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 am UTC

Wildcard wrote:I suppose "Walmart" is included to show that any other group MIGHT be in there as a joke—even though no other group IS in as a joke. Edit: Whoops, missed Google and the Lizard People. And probably some others I'm not familiar with enough to know if they're jokes or not. (George Soros?)
As a Scientologist myself for the last nine years, I have to say this strip is mildly offensive. Not severely—since it's not really an insult, just inaccurate. (Come on, Randall. You can do a better job sorting out fact from rumor.) We don't secretly control the government. We DO have a positive influence on the handling of several of the problems in this country (and other countries)—illiteracy and drugs, to name a couple—but there's nothing secret about it. http://www.scientology.org/how-we-help/ ... ction.html Scientology is a religion, not a secret society or whatever, and it's not complimentary to us to be added into this list of non-religious groups.
But I will agree, as an American, that our government's current activity (or lack of it, I guess) is definitely embarrassing.

Considering that Scientology:
A. Was invented by a man recorded in voice and text beforehand discussing creating a religion for the purpose of making money, requires lots of money to become a senior member, has a hilarious scifi origin story for humanity, among many other things that seriously call into question the lax definition of religion.
B. Has a large number of positive aspects... which are cribbed from preexisting philosophies and general human decency.
C. Conducted a bona fide and organized government infiltration to clear out documents critical of Scientology.

Iiiii'd say your position of offendedness is about as shaky as a volcano full of dc-10 like spacecraft transported subjects of the tyrant Xenu.

I am also concerned by the conclusion, logically derived from your statement, that Scientology control is rumor, but the other groups are fact.

I apologize to any Grammarians that I have offended.

jameslovecraft
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 am UTC
Location: Neverwhere, AZ

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby jameslovecraft » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:06 am UTC

westrim wrote:Considering that Scientology:
A. Was invented by a man recorded in voice and text beforehand discussing creating a religion for the purpose of making money, requires lots of money to become a senior member, has a hilarious scifi origin story for humanity, among many other things that seriously call into question the lax definition of religion.
B. Has a large number of positive aspects... which are cribbed from preexisting philosophies and general human decency.
C. Conducted a bona fide and organized government infiltration to clear out documents critical of Scientology.

Iiiii'd say your position of offendedness is about as shaky as a volcano full of dc-10 like spacecraft transported subjects of the tyrant Xenu.


I mean, I'm a Lizard Person and I didn't choose to be born that way. Adding to the above, you chose Scientology. Sooo...

Besides, WE don't infiltrate the government. We just make sure our existence sounds ridiculous enough to make people not take those unfortunates who have seen us outside of our human suits sound nuts.

Kit.
Posts: 1042
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:07 am UTC

Wildcard wrote:I suppose "Walmart" is included to show that any other group MIGHT be in there as a joke—even though no other group IS in as a joke. Edit: Whoops, missed Google and the Lizard People. And probably some others I'm not familiar with enough to know if they're jokes or not. (George Soros?)

As a Scientologist myself for the last nine years, I have to say this strip is mildly offensive.

What if you were a Walmart (or Google) employee?

Or Lizard People.

stickler
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:40 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby stickler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 am UTC

I love it, sort of follows up http://xkcd.com/1081/ "Really, the comforting side in most conspiracy theory arguments is the one claiming that anyone who's in power has any plan at all."

The shutdown hasn't appeared on BBC news for a while so I thought it had all blown over...

The REAL problem is the corporate-run two party system. Until we fix THAT, we'll have no real change!

bdew
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:17 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby bdew » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am UTC

johnca wrote:Maybe whatever conspiratorial forces


I read that as "constipational forces" and suddenly the whole situation made a lot more sense.

Lee Zard
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:53 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Lee Zard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:00 am UTC

To whom it may concern,

As a lizard person I am mildly offended by this comic. Why do you softskins dislike us so?

Yours Truly,
Lee Zard

P.S. I think "velocirapture" is my new favorite word.

TheoGB
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby TheoGB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:13 am UTC

Great work, guys. An opening post that gets all Comic Book Guy about the strip's accuracy, and someone crazy enough to be a Scientologist who adds evidence to the assumption that being involved in a cult probably means you need to have some sense of humour deficiencies. I enjoyed it more than the strip. :)

User avatar
Red Hal
Magically Delicious
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Red Hal » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:37 am UTC

What about the Lumber Cartel?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:04 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:See, this is the very reason I don't buy into conspiracy theories. As recent events have clearly shown, people in power can't do anything right even when they're doing it in full view of everybody and with the overwhelming support of the majority of the governed. To posit that someone can carry out a complex campaign as well as keep its very existence secret at the same time is too much of a stretch of my credulity.


Ah, yes, but if you were a shady network of secret organisations running the world, you'd want to make it look as though such a thing were impossible. You'd have your stooges (Assange, Snowden) appear to leak secret stuff and act all angry and embarrassed about it; you'd have your cronies who run large public institutions deliberately screw up from time to time; and every so often you'd have to stage something darkly hilarious like the US shutdown. That way, you'd keep people like you and me in the "cock-up" camp.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

KarenRei
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby KarenRei » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:28 am UTC

ahammel wrote:
Milnoc wrote:I'm so glad I'm only a Canadian observer to this massive cluster-fornication.

Unfortunately, you're not just an observer. Said shitfuckstupidity is unlikely to do anything good to our economy.


Isn't it about time to start reporting on the US like is done for third-world republics?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2 ... if_it.html

WASHINGTON, United States—The typical signs of state failure aren’t evident on the streets of this sleepy capital city. Beret-wearing colonels have not yet taken to the airwaves to declare martial law. Money-changers are not yet buying stacks of useless greenbacks on the street.

But the pleasant autumn weather disguises a government teetering on the brink. Because, at midnight Monday night, the government of this intensely proud and nationalistic people will shut down, a drastic sign of political dysfunction in this moribund republic.

The capital’s rival clans find themselves at an impasse, unable to agree on a measure that will allow the American state to carry out its most basic functions. While the factions have come close to such a shutdown before, opponents of President Barack Obama’s embattled regime now appear prepared to allow the government to be shuttered over opposition to a controversial plan intended to bring the nation’s health care system in line with international standards.

(cont'd)

DBPZ
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby DBPZ » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:36 am UTC

How can you know if the shutdown of the fedgov is not in the big plan?

User avatar
pkcommando
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Allston, MA

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby pkcommando » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:18 pm UTC

What about the Stonecutters No Homers? Clearly, Randall's intended to distract us from them when he left them off of the list.

:shock:
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Milnoc
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Milnoc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:
ahammel wrote:
Milnoc wrote:I'm so glad I'm only a Canadian observer to this massive cluster-fornication.

Unfortunately, you're not just an observer. Said shitfuckstupidity is unlikely to do anything good to our economy.


Isn't it about time to start reporting on the US like is done for third-world republics?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2 ... if_it.html

The question was asked if a similar shutdown could happen in Canada.

Short answer: nope! :P

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/politics/in ... anada.html

Kaelin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Kaelin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

... and it's not complimentary to [Scientologists] to be added into this list of non-religious groups.


Putting other criticisms of Scientology aside, you've failed to acknowledge the inclusion of Knights Templar, Knights of Malta, The Xionists, and The Vatican. The Freemasons possess a religious requirement as well (belief in a supreme being).

I really hope your post is just a joke.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
Edit: And part of that rivalry would likely involve keeping their true identities secret from one another just like they have from the general populace. I imagine each one of them only believes in half of the others at most, and that's only because, as a shadowy conspiracy themselves, they would acknowledge that other shadowy conspiracies are likely to be out there.


More likely they're all Solipsists.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Raptor Jesus will lie in wait while the rest screw it up. Then He will bring about the velocirapture.


Obligatory -- or the Zanclean Flood.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Kit.
Posts: 1042
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

Lee Zard wrote:To whom it may concern,

As a lizard person I am mildly offended by this comic. Why do you softskins dislike us so?

Yours Truly,
Lee Zard

P.S. I think "velocirapture" is my new favorite word.

Not that I'd care, but it's xkcd, so someone needs to point that out:

Velociraptors aren't lizards.

(Sorry for being such a jerk)

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2872
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

I've just noticed: the others I can just about imagine, but has anyone seriously suggested that the UN plays an important role in US decision making? Absurd.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1869
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
Lee Zard wrote:To whom it may concern,

As a lizard person I am mildly offended by this comic. Why do you softskins dislike us so?

Yours Truly,
Lee Zard

P.S. I think "velocirapture" is my new favorite word.

Not that I'd care, but it's xkcd, so someone needs to point that out:

Velociraptors aren't lizards.

(Sorry for being such a jerk)


I don't think lizard people are lizards either :twisted:

Besides, we're all being completely manipulated by a galactically distant species, whose sole goal is the delivery of a replacement part to Titan.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

alcore
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 6:34 pm UTC
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby alcore » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

I don't believe in secret conspiracies involving the required participation of large groups of support staff making low wages.

I also don't believe in successful conspiracies (secret or not) of more than 3 people with large egos. (You can occasionally get tight groups of conspirators to cooperate in common cause and vision... but once the core cabal grows, struggles for power and control between egos will lead to betrayal and conflict.)

Conspiracy is not needed to explain the current state of USA politics. Just ordinary power ambition supported by large numbers of stupid people who vote.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26158
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I've just noticed: the others I can just about imagine, but has anyone seriously suggested that the UN plays an important role in US decision making? Absurd.

Yes, there are tons of anti-UN conspiracy theories about how it's the New World Order and is trying to take control of American decisionmaking away from the American people.

Apart from, perhaps, Walmart, every group in the list does have its CT adherents. (And Walmart would probably be included in any likely list of giant corporations that definitely control the US government.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

cameroda
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby cameroda » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
orthogon wrote:I've just noticed: the others I can just about imagine, but has anyone seriously suggested that the UN plays an important role in US decision making? Absurd.

Yes, there are tons of anti-UN conspiracy theories about how it's the New World Order and is trying to take control of American decisionmaking away from the American people.

Apart from, perhaps, Walmart, every group in the list does have its CT adherents. (And Walmart would probably be included in any likely list of giant corporations that definitely control the US government.)


Like the Agenda 21 conspiracy theorists ( mostly Tea party folks).

User avatar
thesingingaccountant
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm UTC
Location: My trusty tablet, most likely

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby thesingingaccountant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

johnca wrote:Maybe whatever conspiratorial forces are at work want this sort of mess. It certainly grabs the headlines, overshadowing - for a time - NSA revelations (which might be a real threat to them). It also feeds the two-party narrative, keeping more people fighting for Democrats or Republicans (tastes great! less filling!), which keeps politics safely in the realm of circuses and out of the realm of questioning the screwed-up-ness of the system as a whole.


I couldn't agree more. One reason among many why I stopped voting for Republicans and Democrats long ago. They're all the same people, playing the same game for the same goal: to serve as a smokescreen for the true shenanigans.

Quicksilver wrote:Raptor Jesus will lie in wait while the rest screw it up. Then He will bring about the velocirapture.


I literally cackled with laughter at this. Thanks. :-D

stickler wrote:The REAL problem is the corporate-run two party system. Until we fix THAT, we'll have no real change!


Yes, sir.

EDIT:

cellocgw wrote:... we're all being completely manipulated by a galactically distant species, whose sole goal is the delivery of a replacement part to Titan.


Do you know when they're taking the part to Titan? I want to go, too. I've had it with this flying mudball.
Last edited by thesingingaccountant on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

User avatar
YellowYeti
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 am UTC

Re: 1274: Open Letter

Postby YellowYeti » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Given the obviously faked moon landings, I'm surprised NASA have been left off the list. The only possible reason could be that they are the ones really behind the global conspiracy, and somehow they are behind xkcd itself - though it's hard to see any connection between the two.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests