1275: "int(pi)"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

asdfzxc

1275: "int(pi)"

Postby asdfzxc » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Alt-text: "If replacing all the '3's doesn't fix your code, remove the 4s, too, with 'ceiling(pi) / floor(pi) * pi * r^floor(pi)'. Mmm, floor pie."

I'll have to remember that one.

n079614

Re: 1275: "int(pi)"

Postby n079614 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:14 am UTC

Why do I get the feeling that this whole thing was to set up the alt-text pie joke?

Lordy! Am I becoming cynical?

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:17 am UTC

Pi is exactly 3?

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:18 am UTC

I knew "3" was the bad apple in "13". "1" is infallible and infinitely perfectly self-divisible.

Demki

Postby Demki » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Pi is exactly 3?

No, int(Pi) is exactly 3. Same for floor(Pi).
This comic gave me a "meh" moment.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:30 am UTC

The fraction looks relatively clean, in mathematical notation:

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:Pi is exactly 3?

While there are some variations between programming languages, what Randall's doing here is referring to three specific functions:
floor(x) gives the highest integer that is less than or equal to x. So floor(3) = floor(3.01) = floor(3.8) = floor(pi) = 3.
ceiling(x) gives the lowest integer that is greater than or equal to x. So ceiling(4) = ceiling(3.01) = ceiling(3.8) = ceiling(pi) = 4.
int(x) gives the nearest integer to x, i.e. it gives x rounded to the nearest 1. So int(3) = int(3.01) = int(2.8) = int(pi) = 3.

In other words, he's providing a way to calculate the volume of a sphere ostensibly in terms of pi and the radius of the sphere.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:43 am UTC

ConMan wrote:int(x) gives the nearest integer to x, i.e. it gives x rounded to the nearest 1. So int(3) = int(3.01) = int(2.8) = int(pi) = 3.

In most programming languages I've come across, int() rounds towards zero (ie the same as floor() for positive numbers and ceil() for negative numbers... simply truncating the number at the decimal point). Sometimes it rounds down (ie same as floor()) but that's less common. There aren't that many that it's a round-to-nearest operation... usually there's a separate round() function for that, or failing that, floor(x + 0.5).

[he/him/his]

trwrt

Postby trwrt » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:52 am UTC

This code doesn't work correctly. Because of the parens around (4/int(pi)) the expression will be evaluated as an integer, yielding 1 instead of 1.3333... Only after the division does the result get promoted to float for the rest of the operations. If it read 4/int(pi)*pi*r^int(pi) then it would work because everything would get promoted to float beforehand.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:59 am UTC

trwrt wrote:This code doesn't work correctly. Because of the parens around (4/int(pi)) the expression will be evaluated as an integer, yielding 1 instead of 1.3333... Only after the division does the result get promoted to float for the rest of the operations. If it read 4/int(pi)*pi*r^int(pi) then it would work because everything would get promoted to float beforehand.

Well, that depends on the language in question. Some languages will treat the division of two ints as an int division, others as a float division (and have some other syntax for performing an int division). If you're going to assume we're using a specific language, you may as well complain that "^" is bitwise XOR instead of the power function, or that it should be "(int)x" instead of "int(x)" also the constant is called "M_PI" and "func(x) = expr" isn't the valid C function declaration syntax.

[he/him/his]

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:22 am UTC

Floor pi is best pi. (now I'm hungry)

Half-Life 2: Episode Pi
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

SomeoneSomewhere

Postby SomeoneSomewhere » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Just don't use PHP: 4 ^ 3 returns 7 (it's bitwise XOR).

I think int(x) is usually truncate or round toward zero; that is 3.14 => 3, 5.6 => 5, -2.2 => -2. You get the picture.

Round is usually separate.

(edited to be clearer)

zukenft

Postby zukenft » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:38 am UTC

eh, having a 3 in your code is fine. a 4 though, you know what they say : four means death.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:49 am UTC

Hah, I love it. I actually got one of these programming jokes on my own. Ok, it's actually math, right? But close enough. :)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:54 am UTC

Stop the irrationality! Vote no on ballot measure π!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:22 am UTC

I rewrote all of Sandcastle Builder's code to conform to this.
So now I have lines like

Molpy.Boosts['Double or Nothing'].department=1*(Math.floor(Math.random()*Math.floor(Math.PI))==0);

or

var nBuy = Math.pow(Math.ceil(Math.PI),Molpy.options.castlemultibuy);

and I'm not risking it with numbers close to int(pi):

bonus+=Molpy.SandToolsById[i].amount*Math.pow(Math.floor(Math.PI)+.5,i+1);

or fractions of it:

var amount = Math.pow(1+Math.ceil(Math.PI)/10,Math.max(0,(Molpy.SandTools['Bag'].amount-Molpy.npbDoubleThreshhold)/2))-1;

or strings:

,"The Lord of the Bags "+Math.floor(Math.PI)+": The Return of La Petite"
,"Half-Bag "+Math.floor(Math.PI)+" Confirmed!"

or combinations of the above:

new Molpy.Boost({name:'Embaggening',desc:'Each Cuegan after the 14th gives a 2% boost to the sand dig rate of Bags',
      sand:Math.floor(Math.PI)+'.5M',castles:'23K',icon:'embaggening'});

or numbers users might see:

if(number==Math.floor(Math.PI))return 'Math.floor(Math.PI)';
      if(number==Math.ceil(Math.PI))return 'Math.ceil(Math.PI)';

This delayed the release of version 1.81. I hope GLR is happy.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Pi is exactly three

Postby Pi is exactly three » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:32 am UTC

Well, I wish I had known of this curse BEFORE I chose my forum username...
"We are the weirdos, Mister!"
--Fairuza Balk, The Craft

I have travelled from 1955 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:13 am UTC

Remember, you can generate EVERY natural number by a finite expression of the form ceil(pi)+...+ceil(pi)-floor(pi)-...-floor(pi)! :D
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:25 am UTC

This reminded me of the techniques used on the ZX81 and ZX Spectrum, where "1" was often replaced by PI/PI and "0" by PI-PI.

The BASIC programs were tokenized on entry and stored in tokenized form. Numeric literals were stored as an escape byte followed by four bytes of floating point. Keywords were a single byte in the high ASCII range; these didn't even need to be scanned since they were entered with a single keypress. It was beautiful. The upshot was that a "1" took up 5 bytes, whereas PI/PI only took three. Bear in mind that you only had 1KB of memory to fit your program and data.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 am UTC

SomeoneSomewhere wrote:Just don't use PHP: 4 ^ 3 returns 7 (it's bitwise XOR).

Is there even any language where ^ (if it exists at all) does not mean XOR and does mean "to the power of"?

orthogon wrote:This reminded me of the techniques used on the ZX81 and ZX Spectrum, where "1" was often replaced by PI/PI and "0" by PI-PI.

The BASIC programs were tokenized on entry and stored in tokenized form. Numeric literals were stored as an escape byte followed by four bytes of floating point. Keywords were a single byte in the high ASCII range; these didn't even need to be scanned since they were entered with a single keypress. It was beautiful. The upshot was that a "1" took up 5 bytes, whereas PI/PI only took three. Bear in mind that you only had 1KB of memory to fit your program and data.

Wow :D
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people e.g. Ragna needs these items and Frances needs money for food

Choonster

Postby Choonster » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:05 am UTC

Monika wrote:
SomeoneSomewhere wrote:Just don't use PHP: 4 ^ 3 returns 7 (it's bitwise XOR).

Is there even any language where ^ (if it exists at all) does not mean XOR and does mean "to the power of"

Lua [lua.org] (and MoonScript [moonscript.org], which compiles into Lua) uses ^ for exponent instead of XOR.

Eoink

Postby Eoink » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:29 am UTC

orthogon wrote:This reminded me of the techniques used on the ZX81 and ZX Spectrum, where "1" was often replaced by PI/PI and "0" by PI-PI.

Thanks for the memory, I'd completely forgotten that. Ahh, the good old days, if you tell that to kids today they won't believe you. (And in defence of the Speccie, it did come with 16k of RAM as basic, it was the ZX81 and the earlier ZX80 which had the 1k RAM.)

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:41 am UTC

Choonster wrote:
Monika wrote:Is there even any language where ^ (if it exists at all) does not mean XOR and does mean "to the power of"

Lua [lua.org] (and MoonScript [moonscript.org], which compiles into Lua) uses ^ for exponent instead of XOR.

Haskell and VB both also have ^ as a power-of function as well. Haskell also has ** as a different power-of function... because Haskell is like that. (x^n is integer exponentiation, defined for anything that supports multiplication, to the power of a natural number... x**y is floating point exponentiation, only defined for floats.)

[he/him/his]

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:52 am UTC

Ok, I could kinda see if this was a "the program isn't working and for some dumb reason doing X seemingly irrelevant thing fixes it" joke, but... I'm just not seeing what the "the number 3 is cursed" thing is in reference to. Things like pi/pi instead of 1 being used to save memory, I guess it could be related to this, but still that doesn't quite seem to fit.

Anyone have any idea what that's about?
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 am UTC

Monika wrote:Is there even any language where ^ (if it exists at all) does not mean XOR and does mean "to the power of"?

Also bc, a programmable arbitrary-precision calculator found in many Linux distros. However, the power must be an integer; if you want arbitrary powers, you need to use logs.

Gargravarr

Postby Gargravarr » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:13 am UTC

The PI rule of project estimation: Analyze the project and calculate a reasonable estimate of how much time it should take. Then multiply with PI.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:38 pm UTC

MATLAB and Octave use ^ for exponentiation.

Arancaytar wrote:Remember, you can generate EVERY natural number by a finite expression of the form ceil(pi)+...+ceil(pi)-floor(pi)-...-floor(pi)! :D

I was also reminded of a problem set by Chris Maslanka in The Guardian. You have to make all the integers from 1 to 100 using five 5's, e.g.:

1=(5+5)/5-5/5
2=(5+5)/5+5-5
100=5x5x5-5x5

I worked on it for a while with a colleague on a business trip. We did pretty well but ran out of time/ideas before we got them all. Some thoughts spoilered in case you want to have a go:
Spoiler:
To start with you are looking for ways to "use up" unneeded 5's (+5-5), but in other regions you have to make each 5 work really hard for you. 5! proved quite useful; I particularly remember using 5!/5 a lot. Only some time later did I get the idea of using the "floor" and "ceiling" operators; applying these to sqrt(5) gives you 2 and 3 for the price of one 5. This seemed too much like cheating and I couldn't decide whether "floor" and "ceiling" are well enough known operators to be allowed.

ETA:
Gargravarr wrote:The PI rule of project estimation: Analyze the project and calculate a reasonable estimate of how much time it should take. Then multiply with PI.

That's way too optimistic. The one I heard was "double it and move to the next larger unit of time", e.g. 3 days -> 6 weeks, 2 months->4 years, etc.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Gargravarr wrote:The PI rule of project estimation: Analyze the project and calculate a reasonable estimate of how much time it should take. Then multiply with PI.

That's way too optimistic. The one I heard was "double it and move to the next larger unit of time", e.g. 3 days -> 6 weeks, 2 months->4 years, etc.

1 year -> 2 centuries? Or two decades?

Zassounotsukushi

Postby Zassounotsukushi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

trwrt wrote:This code doesn't work correctly. Because of the parens around (4/int(pi)) the expression will be evaluated as an integer, yielding 1 instead of 1.3333... Only after the division does the result get promoted to float for the rest of the operations. If it read 4/int(pi)*pi*r^int(pi) then it would work because everything would get promoted to float beforehand.

That was my thought. While there are programs that will do (4/3) "correctly", as in the floating point math, I thought that integer division was fairly common. I would think that most real languages would return 1, as you say. If you're using something that's mathematics-oriented, probably not, but the use of ceiling() and floor() makes me think that this is intended to be relatively low-level, and thus not work right.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

brenok wrote:
orthogon wrote:

1 year -> 2 centuries? Or two decades?

I guess 1 year -> The project will be cancelled next month.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:This reminded me of the techniques used on the ZX81 and ZX Spectrum...

I can't quite decide whether that makes this better or worse.

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

The number three is lava!

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I was also reminded of a problem set by Chris Maslanka in The Guardian. You have to make all the integers from 1 to 100 using five 5's

The earlier form of this problem (going back to the late 19th century) uses four fours.
The first printed occurrence of this activity is in "Mathematical Recreations and Essays" by W. W. Rouse Ball published in 1892. In this book it is described as a "traditional recreation".

In his discussion of the problem Ball calls it "An arithmetical amusement, said to have been first propounded in 1881, ...." . This date aligns with the appearance of the problem in Knowledge, An Illustrated Magazine of Science, (Dec 30, 1881) edited by Richard A. Proctor, the English astronomer who is remembered for one of the earliest maps of Mars.

I'm pretty sure that I first heard of the four fours puzzle in a Martin Gardner column.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:42 pm UTC

Oh, NOW someone tells me, some 30 years after I needed it. :D

Trying to cram programs AND operating system AND video memory into 1KB meant I NEEDED those extra bytes.

I might just have to dig that l'il beast out and try. Plugging a ZX-80 into an HDTV alone might be quite satisfying...

pdg

Postby pdg » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

I thought of that when I saw this comic, too.

On the Spectrum with 16k or more typically 48k of RAM it wasn't necessary most of the time (I certainly never came close to filling 48k), but it cropped up in the loaders of very large programs like games where the machine code was crammed into RAM so tightly that it left very little space in the BASIC area for the loader to fit.

I could see it on the unexpanded ZX81 though, where every single byte could make a difference. Now there was a system that knew how to use minimal memory. The way the screen contents were stored was particularly ingenious.
We can't go back.
We don't understand everything yet.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
orthogon wrote:I was also reminded of a problem set by Chris Maslanka in The Guardian. You have to make all the integers from 1 to 100 using five 5's

The earlier form of this problem (going back to the late 19th century) uses four fours.

Ah, so it was a twist on an old puzzle.
Spoiler:
The gamma function would have been useful. We could have had 5!/5 using only one 5.

Glad to see there are a few Sinclair BASIC old-timers on here. I had a 48K Spectrum and I agree that the PI-baking wasn't really necessary for that - I think I saw it in printed listings in old Sinclair User mags and it made a lasting impression on me (and, I fear, my coding style) ever after.

cheeseheadtotherescue

Postby cheeseheadtotherescue » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

!+[]+!+[]+!+[] is 3 in javascript. Also, Astronomers often take pi to be 3 (or even sometimes 1) and pi^2 to be 10 when dealing with large numbers (the kind where you want the order of magnitude to be within an order of magnitude (wrap you're head around that!))

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Monika wrote:Is there even any language where ^ (if it exists at all) does not mean XOR and does mean "to the power of"?

Seriously? All {for sufficiently architected values of "all"} higher-level languages use '^' for exponentiation. R, MatLab, and IDL are floor(pi) such examples.

There's this thing called "DWIM" (do what I mean) which, when well implemented, makes programming far faster and easier. The more you have to use non-intuitive methods and characters, the slower your work will be. And further, the harder it'll be for anyone not well-versed in your choice of programming language to understand your code.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:21 pm UTC

Would any of those pi be of the pumpkin variety?

smileyy

Postby smileyy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

This expression is really slow on my computer, because it wants to calculate the last digit of pi before rounding. Does anyone know a way to optimize this?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”