1280: "Mystery News"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

f1g2h311

1280: "Mystery News"

Postby f1g2h311 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:23 am UTC

alt text: If you find and stop the video, but you've--against all odds--gotten curious about the trade summit, just leave the tab opened. It will mysteriously start playing again 30 minutes later!

http://xkcd.com/1280/

if only it was always a news clip video

rhomboidal

Re: 1280: "Mystery News"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:24 am UTC

I keep getting these obnoxious commercials that don't even stop when I close the tab. Or the browser. Or the computer.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:49 am UTC

Just a heads up: Your computer might be possessed.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Or it might be a large computer-ish object known as your television. Try that.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Or it might be a large computer-ish object known as your television. Try that.

What is this strange magic you speak of?

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:43 am UTC

I hate most video contest. Give me plain text instructions. Also, never auto-play anything.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:12 am UTC

f1g2h311 wrote:if only it was always a news clip video

Agreed. I don't think I've ever gotten an auto-play news broadcast before.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Hiferator

Postby Hiferator » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 am UTC

I have gotten rid of this problem by blocking flash alltogether and only loading it on demand. This was back when not only on the site itself, but embedded Youtube videos and other stuff all autoplayed as well and firefox did not yet hibernate tabs, so everytime you started the browser, everything started playing all at once.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:33 am UTC

I only wish to point out that the inventor of auto-playing videos deserves flaying.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I hate most video contest. Give me plain text instructions. Also, never auto-play anything.

I agree, although I don't mind images. What I do mind is useless javascript... Not loading flash content by default helps a lot though.

J.Valminuto

Postby J.Valminuto » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:55 am UTC

Was I the only one who was actually interested in the topic of a Trade Summit??

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

J.Valminuto wrote:Was I the only one who was actually interested in the topic of a Trade Summit??

Are we supposed to ask why you were interested in the topic?

If so, consider it asked.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

what i hate are ads which start to blare at me when my mouse moves over them. (because they are of course between menu and content)

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

Oh, and my quick fix to this problem is to mute my volume.

hordriss

Postby hordriss » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:42 pm UTC

Web designers create crap like this, and then whine about people using ad block edge... makes perfect sense </sarcasm>

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Nothing like this has ever happened to me, yet this isn't the first XKCD reference to trying to find out which tab has a running video, so I'm trying to imagine a realistic scenario.

Scenario 1: Randall visits some awful site where pages change on the fly so that videos appear or start playing by themselves after he's moved to some other tab.

Scenario 2: Randall has his browser set to open new tabs in the background so he can't see what sort of pages he opens and he opens lots of pages simultaneously.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Nothing like this has ever happened to me, yet this isn't the first XKCD reference to trying to find out which tab has a running video, so I'm trying to imagine a realistic scenario.

Scenario 1: Randall visits some awful site where pages change on the fly so that videos appear or start playing by themselves after he's moved to some other tab.

Scenario 2: Randall has his browser set to open new tabs in the background so he can't see what sort of pages he opens and he opens lots of pages simultaneously.

Scenario 3: He just moves at other pages while the page is loading.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:I only wish to point out that the inventor of auto-playing anything deserves flaying.

UTFY (upgraded...)

My solution is often to mute the speakers until/unless I actually have something I want to hear as well as see. [insert obligatory Rule34 comment here]
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

I find it additionally annoying the fact that whenever I watch a video on my computer, I have the max the audio just to be able to barely hear something with clarity over any white-noise in the room. Every one of these damn autoplay videos seem to somehow jump the decibels up by a factor of ten, even if my volume is at 50%.

Rombobjörn

Postby Rombobjörn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Farabor wrote:Oh, and my quick fix to this problem is to mute my volume.

That's essentially what I was going to say too. Years ago I gave up trying to find all the different dialogs where random silly GUI sounds need to be disabled. Since then I keep my loudspeakers turned off except when I want to listen to something. As a bonus I'm much less disturbed by autoplaying videos. Only the visual disturbance remains. Not that I see them all that often.

Hiferator wrote:I have gotten rid of this problem by blocking flash alltogether and only loading it on demand.

I don't even have Flash (or even Gnash) installed anymore. This solution won't last though. It would be great if all desired video content would switch to HTML 5, and all advertisements and other unnecessary crap would remain Flash-based, but it's not going to happen that way.

nitePhyyre

Postby nitePhyyre » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

I'm going to have to disagree with the 'autoplay is evil' crowd. On video sites (youtube, vimeo, etc.) by all means, use autoplay. Especially with modern browsers that don't start playing until you've viewed the tab. OTOH, if you aren't a video site and you autoplay, flay away.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Most of the time I have the headphones plugged in, but lying on the desk rather than clamped to my head. Half an hour or so after visiting such a site, I might become vaguely aware of some faint tinny music coming from somewhere. Then I'll silently curse my office mates until I finally realise what's going on.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Extragorey

Postby Extragorey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

Ah, Flashblock. I forget that these things used to happen...
Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Yep, between FlashBlock, Trueblock Plus, and NoScript, it's like I'm browsing a whole other Internet from most people!

Well, except for all the damn sites where you have to enable Javascript to dynamically display static page content. Luckily most of those aren't worth going to anyway.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:I find it additionally annoying the fact that whenever I watch a video on my computer, I have the max the audio just to be able to barely hear something with clarity over any white-noise in the room. Every one of these damn autoplay videos seem to somehow jump the decibels up by a factor of ten, even if my volume is at 50%.

That happens to me too, although mostly from the commercials before/after/during a video I'm watching. You just make me look for a volume normalisation plug-in for firefox, but unfortunately without success.
nitePhyyre wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with the 'autoplay is evil' crowd. On video sites (youtube, vimeo, etc.) by all means, use autoplay. Especially with modern browsers that don't start playing until you've viewed the tab. OTOH, if you aren't a video site and you autoplay, flay away.

Okay, I get your other tab freeze point, but that's a browser feature implemented in some browsers because auto-play is annoying, it doesn't make it any less annoying in other video/audio supporting browsers. The point is, the video shouldn't just start while the user is still doing something else waiting for the video to load. It should wait for the users full attention indicated by clicking on the video (or something else, but then you soon approach the creepy spying domain).

And for people advocating auto-playing from removable media: The fact that someone puts the medium in the computer at that moment does not mean they want to use it at that exact moment, please save peoples system resources until they actually want to use whatever is on the medium. Moreover, the fact that you need to use a certain medium does not mean you absolutely trust whoever has given it to you, not using media given to you by an insufficiently trusted person is not always an option so auto-playing is also a security hazard as a virus may also be auto-played. Auto-mounting on the other hand seems acceptable, similarly I don't mind auto-buffering of internet video/audio content.
commodorejohn wrote:Well, except for all the damn sites where you have to enable Javascript to dynamically display static page content. Luckily most of those aren't worth going to anyway.

I hate those, and sites with javascript/flash menu's without a fallback simple html menu.

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

And then they hide the videos! SO you have to scour the open tabs to see which one it is so you can stop it. And for some reason, sometimes the flash blocker doesn't always work.
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:Nothing like this has ever happened to me, yet this isn't the first XKCD reference to trying to find out which tab has a running video, so I'm trying to imagine a realistic scenario.

Scenario 3: He just moves at other pages while the page is loading.

I think I figured it out.

Scenario 4: Helvetica
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

pixeldigger

Postby pixeldigger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

I often right click-new tab open behind while I finish reading the article I am reading.
Then a hidden tab starts yelling at me, so I have to find it and close it.

Thats also why I HATE it when sites do the "OUR CONTENT IS PROTECTED" when I right click.
If I wanted to steal your pictures, I'd save as, view source, or screen shot it.

MrT2

Postby MrT2 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Sites (particularly gaming sites, but there are others) that think it's perfectly acceptable to replace a written article with one of their journalists doing a 60 second piece-to-camera wind me up, and some of those have a "feature" where once one video has finished, if the tab/page remains open, after a set time it autoplays another unrelated video about a different subject (sometimes via redirecting you to the relevant page, when you were browsing the comments below the video).

gimmespamnow

Postby gimmespamnow » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:28 pm UTC

I think Youtube or Vimeo or whatever should autoplay, if I clicked on a clear link to one of those sites... The problem is the random news sites that decide they needed to have a video of someone reading two paragraphs... I can read way faster than most people talk, and unless the site has some compelling graphics, (the TV anchor's face isn't,) the video is a giant waste of everyone's time/effort/bandwidth/etc... My newspaper (for all their other faults,) has figured this out and typically only posts about one video a month, of things like "time lapse of the X construction project."

A certain soft news site that happens to be popular with my friends wasn't just autoplaying videos, they were autoplaying multiple videos on the same page so I couldn't understand any of it. I added the site to my hosts file with the IP address of 127.0.0.1, and I haven't had any problems since.

MAD JEDDAI

Postby MAD JEDDAI » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 pm UTC

This happens with my Dad, where he'll have 15 tabs open and random videos and sites queued up on them, and then he'll close and re-open the browser for whatever reason and gets to play "try to find the tab(s) with the video that is currently playing."

I obsessively close any tab that I'm not currently using, so I don't really ever have this problem.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:02 pm UTC

I usually only have up to one tab that's making noises unexpectedly, or running an ad that slows my machine to a crawl, and I've got a pretty good hit-rate on guessing which tab it is and killing it (at least I kill a tab, without opening it to check, and the problem goes away...)

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:I find it additionally annoying the fact that whenever I watch a video on my computer, I have the max the audio just to be able to barely hear something with clarity over any white-noise in the room. Every one of these damn autoplay videos seem to somehow jump the decibels up by a factor of ten, even if my volume is at 50%.

Plus one. Google has decided in their infinite wisdom that Youtube videos playing on my phone no longer need amplification. I have the volume set to maximum on my phone most of the day - even though it has double speakers - because they changed how audio works and that volume no longer controls the speakers.

I can't be the only one to hate autoplaying even when I want to video as soon as possible? I'll miss the first few seconds after waiting who knows how long for the page to load. And no, that doesn't mean make the first few minutes of the video filler. AUGH.

I have a click-to-plugin which stops most everything except some HTML5. I ran across an autoplaying HTML5 the other day. Ugh. It would start playing before the frame was finished so it stuttered.

-Crissa

PS
nitePhyyre wrote:I'm going to have to disagree with the 'autoplay is evil' crowd. On video sites (youtube, vimeo, etc.) by all means, use autoplay. Especially with modern browsers that don't start playing until you've viewed the tab. OTOH, if you aren't a video site and you autoplay, flay away.

...That's stupid. Because other people have found it necessary to disable background loading, we should still be peppered with random noises? We've lost a feature that can be important, all because you want videos to autoplay without being touched?

Ozzah

Postby Ozzah » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:43 am UTC

As someone who uses a mobile 4G dongle for Internet at work, with a very limited download quota and high excess surcharges, I really wish news sites would get out of the habit of auto-playing videos that have basically the same information as what's in the text of the article.

What's worse is when they set up a playlist of videos starting with the current story, and moving onto other stories that I have no interest in, and can't stop the download unless I close the tab.'

Edit: No. What's WORST is when they make the background of a page a link to some other content (probably advertising). I regularly click the background to focus the page rather than an element (flash/video/textbox/etc), or text I select as I read, so that I can scroll and use keyboard shortcuts. When I click the background to focus the page and a new window pops up, I am filled with unquenchable rage.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Ooo, the queued list - I hit this with CBS. They had several links to a 'current' story and the links were all the same, in their own articles... But autoplayed the CBS queue, and not the bit of video related to the link. Augh. You'd think someone would come up with a decent current events system but nooooo.

I have a computer. I don't need the anchor babbling - I want links to the videos that the anchor is going to talk about. If I didn't happen to have a UI, then an anchor is perfect - but on a computer or phone it's downright stupid and slow and wasteful.

-Crissa

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Friend of mine has a Chrome plugin telling him his maximum number of open tabs. He checked it the other day and it was almost 300.

I'm sure comic this is a problem for him.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:26 am UTC

I rarely run into this problem, since until recently I had a very crappy computer and thus never got into the habit of having so many tabs open...

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:36 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
sonar1313 wrote:I only wish to point out that the inventor of auto-playing anything deserves flaying.

UTFY (upgraded...)

My solution is often to mute the speakers until/unless I actually have something I want to hear as well as see. [insert obligatory Rule34 comment here]

On my work computer I'm a big fan of that solution. On my home computer I'm almost always listening to music while I surf the web, so what happens is my CCR or Bon Jovi gets a blaring yogurt ad right in the middle of it. Because the comic is inaccurate in one major way: autoplaying videos never start with the content. Ad first. Which sometimes can't be paused or can't be muted.

f1g2h311

Postby f1g2h311 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

One solution I have used before while listening to music in another application is to mute only the browser entirely. This takes the extra work of opening the advanced sound controls for my computer but it does the job. Opening the controls also works for when I'm trying to find the source of the auto-playing audio and I have multiple browsers open.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

f1g2h311 wrote:One solution I have used before while listening to music in another application is to mute only the browser entirely. This takes the extra work of opening the advanced sound controls for my computer but it does the job. Opening the controls also works for when I'm trying to find the source of the auto-playing audio and I have multiple browsers open.

I really hope the browser builders are just going to make a per tab volume control... Preferably also per object, but that would be a rather advanced setting (and considering how they are currently just listening to web designers as opposed to users I don't see such a feature coming from mozilla in the near future, chrome(/ium) also seems out as the way to loud objects are generally adds and expecting useful innovation from MS internet explorer seems a real stretch. It seems apple and opera are our only hope as far as major standards making browser makers are concerned :().

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”