1284: "Improved Keyboard"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SomeoneSomewhere

1284: "Improved Keyboard"

Postby SomeoneSomewhere » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Title Text wrote:I'm always installing tons of weird experimental keyboards because it serves as a good reminder that nothing I was going to type was really worth the trouble.

Personally, I'm just using the AOSP 4.2+ keyboard, with swype-like typing.

EDIT: Fixed text.

rhomboidal

Re: 1284: "Improved Keyboard"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:16 am UTC

I need a keyboard that sends little electric shocks whenever it detects verbosity. It'd force me to be more concise, and succinct, and effici -- ZZZZZTTTTT

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:20 am UTC

When a custom keyboard crashes your phone, you know you're in trouble (looking at you, swype)

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:25 am UTC

Not what one would expect from BHG.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

biomatter

Postby biomatter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 am UTC

Awww, this one is sad :(
<> Biomatter <>

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:16 am UTC

I think it's kind of funny.

Someone should do this as a joke.

lalop

Postby lalop » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 am UTC

Eh, I thought that was exactly what you'd expect from BHG.

I have a bit of an addiction to experimental keyboards, but haven't found anything better than messagease yet. It's the only one I've tried so far that doesn't need autocorrect as part of its normal function (imo, a fatal flaw).

We discuss it in some detail.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:14 am UTC

Well, I suppose it would still be rather easy to uninstall / revert to the original - back in the day of mobiles with text-only menus it was way more fun setting someone's language to a foreign one, preferably with a script he couldn't even read (they could obviously still find the green pick-up button or dial...)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:02 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:Well, I suppose it would still be rather easy to uninstall / revert to the original - back in the day of mobiles with text-only menus it was way more fun setting someone's language to a foreign one, preferably with a script he couldn't even read (they could obviously still find the green pick-up button or dial...)

Most people I share public transport with seem unable to find the green pick-up button, though. Maybe I've been harsh on them, and their phone has been tampered with.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:25 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Most people I share public transport with seem unable to find the green pick-up button, though. Maybe I've been harsh on them, and their phone has been tampered with.

On the subject of people on public transit being bad with phones, an anecdote:

I overheard the stupidest conversation on the bus ride home one night, between two guys who sounded like they had spent their lives drinking away all but their last few brain cells. One of them asks the other to call his phone. The other asks why, "why don't you call my phone instead?". The first insists "dude man just call my phone ok". (He sounded like Tommy Chong's character from That 70s Show). So the first tries to give his phone number to the second:

1: "ok, so dial eight eight six"
2: "eight... eight... six..."
1: "zero four-"
2: "zero..."
1: "-zero three"
2: "...three..."
1: "..."
2: "..."
2: "...what's after that man?"
1: "that's it"
2: "dude that's only like five numbers man"
1: "ok, dial eight eight six, zero-"
2: "zero three right I got it"
1: "no, eight eight six..."
2: "that's only five numbers!"
1: "[sigh] eight eight six, zero four-"
2: "ok, zero..."
2: "...three... and then what?"

By this point I am, literally, facepalming. This went on for like half an hour at least, skipping through a phase where guy #2 thought the number was 886-043 and kept insisting that's only six numbers (hey at least he's progressing), while guy #1 kept just repeating his number over and over again (which is why I remember it).

Finally guy #2 got the number right, and called, and said he just got a message saying the voicemail box was full. Guy #1 then explained that the point of this exercise was to figure out why his phone wasn't ringing when he got calls. Guy #2 suggested guy #1 try calling his phone, but guy #1 said that won't help cause he's out of minutes so he can't call out, and would guy #2 please try calling again to see if it rings this time, while guy #2 kept insisting that guy #1 try calling him first and guy #1 explained again that he was out of minutes so that wouldn't work now please try calling me again so I can see if it rings.

This went on for another half our or so.

"Why doesn't my phone ring when people call me?"
"Does it ring other people's when you call them?"
"I can't call out, I'm out of minutes. Now why doesn't my phone ring when people call me?"

FACEPALM
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Suffice it to say, I use hardware keyboards on the devices I own... and I don't like to type much.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:28 am UTC

I've recently upgraded to an USB keyboard, up from a PS/2 one...

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Klear wrote:I've recently upgraded to an USB keyboard, up from a PS/2 one...

I would love to see a 8-port daisy-chainable HDMI-USB KVM switch...

roband

Postby roband » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:54 am UTC

If you're on Android, try Kii.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:16 pm UTC

lalop wrote:Eh, I thought that was exactly what you'd expect from BHG.

Depends on how you look at it. Right now Cueball is a bit upset, but in the long run, he'll thank BHG for giving him (half) his life back.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

How about replacing the keyboard with a little app that maps the "answer" and "hangup" buttons with a "dit" and "dah," thus forcing one to send messages in Morse Code?

(with credit to Cryptonomicon for the inspiration)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

CiDhed

Postby CiDhed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

SomeoneSomewhere wrote:

I'm back to Swype. I hated that the ducking aosp keyboard wouldn't let me swype out curse words or even basic words like suck, even after they were added.

Though I love that we have the options. Minuum was a fun one try.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

morse_telegraph_key.jpg

He should try this one.

DR6

Postby DR6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:10 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:"Why doesn't my phone ring when people call me?"
"I can't call out, I'm out of minutes. Now why doesn't my phone ring when people call me?"

FACEPALM

How is that a facepalm? If you can't call, that doesn't mean others can't call you. I mean, certainly here in Spain it doesn't, and I find it hard it to believe that it is different where you live.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:16 pm UTC

DR6 wrote:

FACEPALM

How is that a facepalm? If you can't call, that doesn't mean others can't call you. I mean, certainly here in Spain it doesn't, and I find it hard it to believe that it is different where you live.

You don't pay for incoming calls in Spain (unless you are in roaming). You do in the US.

DR6

Postby DR6 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:You don't pay for incoming calls in Spain (unless you are in roaming). You do in the US.

... really? TIL. Is this a Europe vs. US thing?

aerion111

Postby aerion111 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

DR6 wrote:
Kit. wrote:You don't pay for incoming calls in Spain (unless you are in roaming). You do in the US.

Must be - you don't pay for incoming calls in Norway either.
Seems kinda weird, too; Why would you pay for someone else to call you? They're the ones that have business with you.
If you have to pay for people to call you, it seems like poor people wouldn't want to have the phone connected at all until they have something to use it for, in case some telemarketer decides to call and waste their money.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Yeah, telecom is totally screwed up here in the states. Cellphone users have to pay for incoming calls and incoming texts (though some cellphone companies give you a one-minute grace period to hang up on incoming calls).

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

"joke's on you, I'm only a stick figure and I don't have fingers..."

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

aerion111 wrote:Seems kinda weird, too; Why would you pay for someone else to call you? They're the ones that have business with you.

With land lines, that is exactly how it works in the US. I guess when cell phone technology was new, it was understood that the infrastructure was so expensive that it made sense to charge both endpoints for the call. (Of course from the standpoint of paying your share of the cost of providing the service, it does make sense.) But then of course people got used to the idea, so why would the providers change it now? Why would they stop charging for something people are accustomed to paying for? In practice most people get a plan with X number of "free" minutes per month, so you're not directly paying to receive a call, but you still are in the sense that your time is metered and you'll pay if/when you go over your limit.

If you have to pay for people to call you, it seems like poor people wouldn't want to have the phone connected at all until they have something to use it for, in case some telemarketer decides to call and waste their money.

I suppose that's why it is illegal for telemarketers to call a cell phone. (I understand it still happens sometimes, ostensibly by mistake.)

Anyway, from what I can tell, poor people pay for a lot of things you wouldn't think they would be able to afford, not least their cell phones and data plans.

ObTopic: PS/2 port IBM Model M. (And no virtual keyboard software at all, as I don't have a mobile device to run it on.) If my spare Model M's all die, I'd consider looking for a USB version, but as these keyboards basically never die, the question is academic.

ATW

Postby ATW » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:45 pm UTC

Payment. I think it would be better to compare the US with EU instead of individual european countries...

/ATW

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
Klear wrote:I've recently upgraded to an USB keyboard, up from a PS/2 one...

I would love to see a 8-port daisy-chainable HDMI-USB KVM switch...

Yeah, USB keyboard/mouse suck. Too many layers of OS/drivers etc are needed, so it's a crapshoot whether they'll work at all; it can take minutes for Windows to recognize them; and the KVM situation is a disaster. The KVM switch has to be externally powered, because it has to present a USB host interface to the keyboard and mouse but can't demand more than one USB port's worth of power from the PC. And it has to pretend really convincingly to be a keyboard and mouse to all the PCs all the time, particularly during boot, otherwise they won't "see" the real keyboard and mouse when switched; this is apparently quite hard to do and the slightest infidelity in this simulation will cause the PC to cover its eyes and go "blah blah I can't see any keyboard blah blah". I'm not convinced Linux (Ubuntu at least) is any better, but I might be confusing it with the feature where the OS decides not to drive the monitor unless it's plugged in, switched on and being viewed by a human during the entire boot process. Look away for a moment and it will not bother loading the video drivers. [/rant]
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
orthogon wrote:Most people I share public transport with seem unable to find the green pick-up button, though. Maybe I've been harsh on them, and their phone has been tampered with.

On the subject of people on public transit being bad with phones, an anecdote:

I overheard the stupidest conversation on the bus ride home one night, between two guys who sounded like they had spent their lives drinking away all but their last few brain cells. One of them asks the other to call his phone. The other asks why, "why don't you call my phone instead?". The first insists "dude man just call my phone ok". (He sounded like Tommy Chong's character from That 70s Show). So the first tries to give his phone number to the second:

1: "ok, so dial eight eight six"
2: "eight... eight... six..."
1: "zero four-"
2: "zero..."
2: "...three..."
2: "..."
2: "...what's after that man?"
1: "that's it"
2: "dude that's only like five numbers man"
1: "ok, dial eight eight six, zero-"
2: "zero three right I got it"
1: "no, eight eight six..."
2: "that's only five numbers!"
1: "[sigh] eight eight six, zero four-"
2: "ok, zero..."
2: "...three... and then what?"

By this point I am, literally, facepalming. This went on for like half an hour at least, skipping through a phase where guy #2 thought the number was 886-043 and kept insisting that's only six numbers (hey at least he's progressing), while guy #1 kept just repeating his number over and over again (which is why I remember it).

Finally guy #2 got the number right, and called, and said he just got a message saying the voicemail box was full. Guy #1 then explained that the point of this exercise was to figure out why his phone wasn't ringing when he got calls. Guy #2 suggested guy #1 try calling his phone, but guy #1 said that won't help cause he's out of minutes so he can't call out, and would guy #2 please try calling again to see if it rings this time, while guy #2 kept insisting that guy #1 try calling him first and guy #1 explained again that he was out of minutes so that wouldn't work now please try calling me again so I can see if it rings.

This went on for another half our or so.

"Why doesn't my phone ring when people call me?"

FACEPALM

Nice story. It is funny.
This is the same species that created the cell phone.

Think about that.
The noble, responsible, intelligent and thoughtful creature that created the cell phone is the same species
as the tail chasing ding-dongs that don't know why it does not ring when it is out of minutes.

That is funny. Do they know why it rings when it does have minutes?
God? Do they think God did it?

I bet they think God had nothing to do with it.
See? They are not so dumb.

xkcd makes me giggle. You people have funny stories.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:21 am UTC

CiDhed wrote:
SomeoneSomewhere wrote:

I'm back to Swype. I hated that the ducking aosp keyboard wouldn't let me swype out curse words or even basic words like suck, even after they were added.

Though I love that we have the options. Minuum was a fun one try.

I like the standard keyboard, though I'm presently using MessagEase. "Block offensive words" is a setting in standard swipe-style under the keyboard's settings and indeed does not require the words to be added (I found this after frustration with suck, too.)
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:40 am UTC

aerion111 wrote:
DR6 wrote:

Must be - you don't pay for incoming calls in Norway either.
Seems kinda weird, too; Why would you pay for someone else to call you? They're the ones that have business with you.

TIL too. Here in Brazil you also don't pay for incoming calls.

And at least around here, lots of poor people are not exactly good when it comes to make decisions of where to spend their money...

Shoaler

Postby Shoaler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Suffice to say that this has almost nothing to do with keyboards and everything to do with the support one can expect for unknown "free" hardware and software when things go wrong.

itry

Postby itry » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

(sin-ordure/on)
change the (man with the) hat with a womans haircut, and get a "geeky"-
puberal-interhuman-smartphonezombie comicstrip, showing less trait of
character than you suggest with this strip...
(sin-ordure/off)

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:51 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Here in Brazil you also don't pay for incoming calls.

And at least around here, lots of poor people are not exactly good when it comes to make decisions of where to spend their money...

Or is the other way around -- people who are not exactly good when it comes to make decisions of where to spend their money end up poor?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:

Or is the other way around -- people who are not exactly good when it comes to make decisions of where to spend their money end up poor?

...And people who are not exactly good when it comes to make decisions of where to spend someone else's money end up rich?

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:05 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
davidstarlingm wrote:

...And people who are not exactly good when it comes to make decisions of where to spend someone else's money end up rich?

I guess the correct answer is: "all of the above"

itry

Postby itry » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

(Sinnscheisse/on)
change the (man with a) hat to a (woman with a typical) womans haicut and you get a "geeky"-pubertal-interhuman-smartphonezombie comicstrip.
(Sinnscheisse/off)

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:

The standard procedure is that the people who end up poor are the ones who started out poor. I don't think Brazil is much different from anywhere else on that.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Znirk wrote:
davidstarlingm wrote:

The standard procedure is that the people who end up poor are the ones who started out poor. I don't think Brazil is much different from anywhere else on that.

This is certainly true.

My comment was more a reflection on a common activity of the American lower middle class/upper working class, who associate increased wealth with increased displays of spending. What you get is a readiness to immediately exhaust all extra/disposable income in pursuit of a constantly increasing quality of life, as opposed to identifying a sustainable quality of life for the income you have and spending with that particular goal in mind. One example I can think of is a mother who only buys her infant new, brand-name clothing because "I want the best for my kids" despite the "best for her kids" ACTUALLY being a more responsible approach to money.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
DR6 wrote:

FACEPALM

You don't pay for incoming calls in Spain (unless you are in roaming). You do in the US.

Wow, that really helped, I didn't see that coming, I thought, maybe they were foreigners and roaming was assumed... Although I suppose I should have seen this coming, in the US you tend to be charged for each part of a service separately, you even have to pay for the luggage trolleys on JFK airport, and for ATMs, in most countries those are covered by airport tax and by understandings between banks respectively. Although you are generally supposed to pay if the luggage trolleys come with an assistant, but I haven't seen those in the US yet.

davidstarlingm wrote:Yeah, telecom is totally screwed up here in the states. Cellphone users have to pay for incoming calls and incoming texts (though some cellphone companies give you a one-minute grace period to hang up on incoming calls).

Wait, that is just ridiculous, you cannot refuse texts, they are delivered automatically, without user authorisation. Dutch providers don't even charge incoming texts when roaming...

PolakoVoador wrote:TIL too. Here in Brazil you also don't pay for incoming calls.

I don't think I had to pay for incoming calls in Malaysia either (although that was some time ago, and I only used it for a couple of weeks). I think it's probably a US/US+Canada/North-America/US+Canada+Japan and other US copying countries vs the rest of the world thing...

davidstarlingm wrote:My comment was more a reflection on a common activity of the American lower middle class/upper working class, who associate increased wealth with increased displays of spending. What you get is a readiness to immediately exhaust all extra/disposable income in pursuit of a constantly increasing quality of life, as opposed to identifying a sustainable quality of life for the income you have and spending with that particular goal in mind.

I think this is common practice in most wealthy countries, although I suppose the upper working class in the US corresponds to the just below middle working class here (due to social security), I expect it to be true for the middle class in developing countries too, which probably corresponds to the same level of wealth in many countries. When people start complaining about a lack of parking spaces at the food bank there seems to be confusion of priorities (for context: most people in the Netherlands have a bicycle, which is the most usual mode of transport for short to shorter medium distances, there are many people without cars and petrol is far more expensive than in the US).

Stealth Tomato

Postby Stealth Tomato » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

It's always a good day when the new XKCD comic activates the s/keyboard/leopard extension.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”