1288: "Substitutions"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

serovich

Re: 1288: "Substitutions"

Postby serovich » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:02 pm UTC

mythical might not work that well.

We needs something that fits:
- economic recovery
- economic policy
- economic prosperity

Also more on atomic cats:
- automotive --> feline
- electromagnetic --> thermonuclear
- battery --> fusion reactor
Last edited by serovich on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 pm UTC

serovich wrote:economy --> great wyrm that gnaws at the root of the world tree (ideas on word 'economic'?)

i thought that's "reflected sounds of underground spirits"

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

Pressed Bunson wrote:
dp2 wrote:I miss Homestar Runner.
Same. I'm surprised/delighted that a comic in 2013 made a reference to it.

If a comic surprised you, I guess you'd be blown away to know that they were featured (live voices, but not animated) at W00tstock 2013 (a show hosted by geek celebrities like Adam Savage and Wil Wheaton). You can watch(listen to) Strong Bad make some pretty decent jokes here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0m-k6qZMx8 or read about it at http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/W00tstock_2013

Speaking of hrwiki, someone already added xkcd #1288 to http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/Comics_Sightings#xkcd
I thought I'd be the one to do it...was it one of you guys?

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Speaking of hrwiki, someone already added xkcd #1288 to http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/Comics_Sightings#xkcd

Not me, but I did check out that page to see if anyone did it already. Didn't have time to edit it though and forgot about it later.

Pressed Bunson

Postby Pressed Bunson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Schwolop wrote:I do find it hilarious that this thread has gone three pages without anyone noticing that the replacements are already happening on this forum...
Yeah, you've gotta wonder.

Someguy945 wrote:
Pressed Bunson wrote:
dp2 wrote:I miss Homestar Runner.
Same. I'm surprised/delighted that a comic in 2013 made a reference to it.

If a comic surprised you, I guess you'd be blown away to know that they were featured (live voices, but not animated) at W00tstock 2013 (a show hosted by geek celebrities like Adam Savage and Wil Wheaton). You can watch(listen to) Strong Bad make some pretty decent jokes here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0m-k6qZMx8 or read about it at http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/W00tstock_2013

Speaking of hrwiki, someone already added xkcd #1288 to http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/Comics_Sightings#xkcd
I saw the video already! It was so amazing and made me squee in joy :3
Asmodieus wrote:Knock knock.
Whose there?
Your friends, we're staging an intervention.

black_hat_guy wrote:There once was an X from place B,
Who satisfied predicate P,
The X did thing A,
In a specified way,
Resulting in circumstance C.

Ncoppa jammo ja, funiculì, funiculà!

Pressed Bunson

Postby Pressed Bunson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Accidental double post, ignore this.
Last edited by Pressed Bunson on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodieus wrote:Knock knock.
Whose there?
Your friends, we're staging an intervention.

black_hat_guy wrote:There once was an X from place B,
Who satisfied predicate P,
The X did thing A,
In a specified way,
Resulting in circumstance C.

Ncoppa jammo ja, funiculì, funiculà!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

speising wrote:
serovich wrote:economy --> great wyrm that gnaws at the root of the world tree (ideas on word 'economic'?)

i thought that's "reflected sounds of underground spirits"

Of course, the great wyrm would be Nidhogg - but that may be too abstruse

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

serovich wrote:We needs something that fits:
- economic recovery
- economic policy
- economic prosperity

Hmmm, world leeching policy still works (and is generally rather accurate in these cases), the same goes for leeching prosperity. World leeching recovery and world leeching growth seem odd though, the problem with economic recovery and economic growth is that they (grammatically) seem to refer to an economic aspect of recovery or growth, while they really refer to recovery (or growth) of the economy. On the other hand, if the grammar is applied inconsistently here anyway (or wrong, depending on how you look at it, I'm sorry for the flame war that correct language use issues generally invoke) I don't see why we should care about how "world leeching recovery" looks (besides, this is not strictly wrong, as the recovery of economies generally leech from other things in the world).

Mythical seems to work grammatically, it just seems to create a completely wrong image. I think the main idea of the world tree root eating wyrm was that it ate at the world. Mythically leeching would work though...

EDIT: On second thought, world leeching growth seems to work fine, it just creates a very different image (of a much less abstract growth).

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Re: Homestar Runner

I still check the HRWiki from time to time in case there's been an update. I've given up on checking the site itself about a year ago.

serovich

Postby serovich » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:28 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
serovich wrote:We needs something that fits:
- economic recovery
- economic policy
- economic prosperity

Hmmm, world leeching policy still works (and is generally rather accurate in these cases), the same goes for leeching prosperity. World leeching recovery and world leeching growth seem odd though, the problem with economic recovery and economic growth is that they (grammatically) seem to refer to an economic aspect of recovery or growth, while they really refer to recovery (or growth) of the economy. On the other hand, if the grammar is applied inconsistently here anyway (or wrong, depending on how you look at it, I'm sorry for the flame war that correct language use issues generally invoke) I don't see why we should care about how "world leeching recovery" looks (besides, this is not strictly wrong, as the recovery of economies generally leech from other things in the world).

Mythical seems to work grammatically, it just seems to create a completely wrong image. I think the main idea of the world tree root eating wyrm was that it ate at the world. Mythically leeching would work though...

EDIT: On second thought, world leeching growth seems to work fine, it just creates a very different image (of a much less abstract growth).

The idea of the wyrm is to caricature the lack of understanding of how economy works for many people by comparing it to a mysterious mythical entity that needs to be constantly appeased. Actually, working from that idea economic could be 'wyrm pleasing' ("wyrm pleasing policy" or "wyrm pleasing recovery") or some derivative of that. I know it sounds a bit crude but its a good direction.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

serovich wrote:The idea of the wyrm is to caricature the lack of understanding of how economy works for many people by comparing it to a mysterious mythical entity that needs to be constantly appeased. Actually, working from that idea economic could be 'wyrm pleasing' ("wyrm pleasing policy" or "wyrm pleasing recovery") or some derivative of that. I know it sounds a bit crude but its a good direction.

Wyrm charming?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
serovich wrote:The idea of the wyrm is to caricature the lack of understanding of how economy works for many people by comparing it to a mysterious mythical entity that needs to be constantly appeased. Actually, working from that idea economic could be 'wyrm pleasing' ("wyrm pleasing policy" or "wyrm pleasing recovery") or some derivative of that. I know it sounds a bit crude but its a good direction.

Wyrm charming?

Cargo cult.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Re: Homestar Runner

I still check the HRWiki from time to time in case there's been an update. I've given up on checking the site itself about a year ago.

Same, I'll check the wiki home page occasionally just in case, but I don't check the actual site.

I wonder if either the main site or the wiki saw a slight uptick in traffic as a result of this comic.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:12 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

Wyrm charming?

The weird things I learn here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgj2gK7IcaE
Seagulls charm worms by dancing.

A little noodling fish and we are completely off topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNuJQnWeyqk
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

idoco

Postby idoco » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

I have written yet another chrome extension inspired by this comic.

I did this since I couldn't find one that let you to edit the list of substitutions.
It's called "xkcd Substitutions Plus" and you can find it in the chrome web store.
I plan to upload the code to soon GitHub too.

I would love to hear suggestions on how to improve it :)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:03 am UTC

idoco wrote:I have written yet another chrome extension inspired by this comic.

I did this since I couldn't find one that let you to edit the list of substitutions.
It's called "xkcd Substitutions Plus" and you can find it in the chrome web store.
I plan to upload the code to soon GitHub too.

I would love to hear suggestions on how to improve it :)

Make it Web Wide.
Get that cute little thing inside every English news outlet on the Planet.

That would improve my mood.
You might giggle, too; If you have another language to use.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
speising wrote:
Schwolop wrote:I do find it hilarious that this thread has gone three pages without anyone noticing that the replacements are already happening on this forum...

i find it hilarious that someone can post a statement like this wihout[sic] first checking its veracity. like, by reading three posts up.

I find you all hilarious.

I find you only mildly amusing.
There, I said it.

As for Schwolop: there's no need for us to mention that another reckoning has arrived, as it's quite obvious — just look at the word "spaaace" everywhere.

Ranaakamarth

Postby Ranaakamarth » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:51 pm UTC

Has anyone tried this extension for Google Chrime? It looks like it would do just the trick for replacing certain phrases with other ones.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... kg/details

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:49 am UTC

I lol'd so hard at Homestar Runner being on this.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 am UTC

addams wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Wyrm charming?

The weird things I learn here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgj2gK7IcaE
Seagulls charm worms by dancing.

A little noodling fish and we are completely off topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNuJQnWeyqk

Holy crap. Humans can do aggressive mimicry? It's one of the few aggressive things I thought we didn't have.

I gain respect for humans, sometimes.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Shaggai

Postby Shaggai » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:17 am UTC

I had an idea.

Evil: Dark power
Evil: Evil

"The dark power is recovering due to the president's new evil plan."

Edit: It would have to be singular.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:12 am UTC

Shaggai wrote:I had an idea.

Evil: Dark power
Evil: Evil

"The dark power is recovering due to the president's new evil plan."

Edit: It would have to be singular.

Wait, so the original text would have been "The evil is recovering due to the president's new evil plan."?

Shaggai

Postby Shaggai » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:22 pm UTC

They added "Evil" as one of the board substitutes for economic and economy

I didn't expect anyone would like it enough to do that. Or at least not in that amount of time.
The original text was "The economy is recovering due to the president's new economy plan."

Edit: Wait, this post didn't change. I think it must have been my substitution browser extension. I have the one where you can edit the options. Must have gotten in there.

joedaven

Postby joedaven » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:16 am UTC

sarcasticsimba wrote:I know people have been all over this, making extensions and whatnot, so I joined in the fun.

I made both a Chrome and Safari extension, so feel free to nab whatever you'd like! :D
github (dot) com/sarcasticsimba/xkcdSubstitutions-Chrome
github (dot) com/sarcasticsimba/xkcdSubstitutions-Safari

Is there any way to edit the substitution list? I can see how to access the source code on your github site, but I can't figure out how to change the ones that are there (adding new ones or changing the ones to those suggested in this great thread). Any tips to a relatively novice coder?

DR6

Postby DR6 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

joedaven wrote:
sarcasticsimba wrote:I know people have been all over this, making extensions and whatnot, so I joined in the fun.

I made both a Chrome and Safari extension, so feel free to nab whatever you'd like! :D

Is there any way to edit the substitution list? I can see how to access the source code on your github site, but I can't figure out how to change the ones that are there (adding new ones or changing the ones to those suggested in this great thread). Any tips to a relatively novice coder?

I'm not sure how Chrome or Safari extensions work, but anyway the code seems to be on Substitution.js. At the end there is a big function called handleText, and in the middle you can see all the replacements. They are in the form:

Code: Select all

v = v.replace(to_replace, replacement);

You can add more of these to the function to add more substitutions.

The hard thing fot you could be that to_replace is a regex, and maybe you don't know how to use them. You can either learn or just look how it is done in that source code.

joedaven

Postby joedaven » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

DR6 wrote:
joedaven wrote:

I'm not sure how Chrome or Safari extensions work, but anyway the code seems to be on Substitution.js. At the end there is a big function called handleText, and in the middle you can see all the replacements. They are in the form:

Code: Select all

v = v.replace(to_replace, replacement);

You can add more of these to the function to add more substitutions.

The hard thing fot you could be that to_replace is a regex, and maybe you don't know how to use them. You can either learn or just look how it is done in that source code.

I'm with ya about until where you've described, it's just the mechanics of getting any edits I do in that source code to show up in the actual extension and replace words in the actual webpage that I'm having trouble with. Editing the javascript file seems relatively plug-and-play, I can figure out how to copy-paste one of the ones that are there already to get the ones I want in there, it's just enabling my edits in the actual source code of the extension that's tripping me up. Any pointers from someone who knows their way around Safari extensions?

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:50 am UTC

How nice of you to work on a Web Wide substitution list.
I have no idea how you will do it.

It will be hilarious. I hope.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

sudo-god

Postby sudo-god » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:58 pm UTC

I personally change:
-calm down->decelerate into the ejection envelope
-statement->argument
-convention->black mass
-delegate->guy with a stick

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”