0308: "Interesting Life"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:Yeah, see, those things just don't do it for me. I guess I must be clinically depressed or something, because I just can't find enjoyment in any of these trivial things that people keep bringing up as wonderful experiences.

Just a different way of looking at life -- doesn't necessarily make it bad.

I've had a lot more adventures since moving here, which I sometimes think is silly; it seems like moving to England should be such an adventure that little things can't compare. I think maybe it just opened me up to the possibility of adventure, though, so things come more easily now.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

Being adventurous is a state of mind. The act of going to the beach at 3am isn't the adventure, it is because I am going there to find if other people are doing the same thing, if they are, who knows where it could lead?

And why can't something trivial also be an adventure? During the college summer break a few years back I had breakfast in a different cafe every morning. Yeah, I didn't save the world, but I was having new experiences, tasting differently-cooked foods and meeting new people every single day.

I've done the big things. I've run away from home before, lived with no house or food for a time, I've moved countries, I've started up a business, I've helped run a wrestling show. But just because something isn't world-changing doesn't mean it isn't adventurous.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

I would consider trying a new flavour of coffee to be an adventure.

I tried a new flavour of coffee beans yesterday. At the supermarket they have this coffee dispenser, with a grate at the bottom that beans can fall through if they don't make it into the bag. Well, every time I go to the supermarket, I wait until no one is looking and then grab a handful of coffee beans out from under the grate. Yesterday I was there and someone had spilled some French Vanilla beans. I ate a bunch of those. They were good. And I worked at Dunkin' Donuts for a few weeks earlier this summer, and I'd try a new variation on my decaf iced coffee with cream and sugar every single day. That was exciting.

I completely agree with adventure being a state of mind. My entire life is an adventure, the big things and the little, just because that's how I look at it. When I was in ninth grade, my friend and I would walk around the school hallways after school had ended and have adventures. It was the same school hallways every day but the adventures were different - meeting different people, finding new things, hanging out with friends and doing something fun, et cetera. Even sitting in a chair in math class waiting for the bell to ring, I can have an adventure just by imagining things. Or by scribbling in a notebook, or writing a poem covertly while my math teacher thinks I'm taking notes.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:I completely agree with adventure being a state of mind. My entire life is an adventure, the big things and the little, just because that's how I look at it.

Well, then I'm screwed.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:24 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:
Darcey wrote:I completely agree with adventure being a state of mind. My entire life is an adventure, the big things and the little, just because that's how I look at it.

Well, then I'm screwing myself.

Fixed for accuracy.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:Well, then I'm screwed.

No, you are not screwed, you just have a different opinion.

I am one who seems to not have adventures. Or perhaps looks in the wrong direction to have said adventures. But then again I normally play safe, which isn't exactly glamorous, nor adventurous.

I also don't see the adventure of trying a new coffee bland. (sorry, Darcey) :)

Though I do see it in going to the beach at night and see if other people have had the same thought.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Domovoi wrote:

Well, then I'm screwing myself.

Fixed for accuracy.

In an involuntary way, sure, absolutely. I'd love to be able to experience joy and excitement out of trying different coffee, or going to the beach in the futile hope that something unexpected will happen, but I can't.

madjo wrote:
Domovoi wrote:Well, then I'm screwed.

No, you are not screwed, you just have a different opinion.

It still makes it impossible for me to have an adventure, though.

And seriously, the going to the beach at 3 AM thing? Here's what'll happen:

You arrive at the beach.
There is nobody else there.
The adventure is over.

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 pm UTC

hmmm, you have one two many syllables on the first and last line...

fixed:
You go to the beach.
End of adventure.

and what you may say is true, though there will always be opportunities to do something adventuresome that is meaningful.....

i.e.
hang out with friends -> play video games
hang out with friends -> do something strange that you haven't done before that will be memorable for years to come

i.e. if you are in college, sneak out and watch the sunset from the roof of the psych building while talking with friends....

invariably i play video games (halo 3 is coming :P) (but i do some crazy stuff too :P)
"Who are you, how did you get in my house?" - Donald Knuth

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 pm UTC

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:hmmm, you have one two many syllables on the first and last line...

fixed:
You go to the beach.
End of adventure.

I don't know. I prefer verbs in my sentences. And wether the adventure starts with going to the beach or arriving there is debatable.

Edit: I can't believe I missed the haiku.
Last edited by Domovoi on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

He was making it a haiku.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

If we care to be picky:

Arriving seaside,
You realize you are alone.
The adventure ends.

---
Also, I believe that the adventure starts when you leave your house, for that is when the memories of you doing something different begin...
Last edited by OfficiallyHaphazard on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:If we care to be picky:

Arriving seaside,
The adventure ends.

I applaud your use of the word 'seaside'. Bravo.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

On the subject of things like walking on a beach at 3AM hoping someone else will have had the same idea, I do that a lot except in the woods. I almost never meet people (although I did find my friend's dad geocashing the other day and he let me go with him), but it's still an adventure. Even if I see no one, there's still the excitement of imagining seeing someone, picturing what it would be like if I did. And the woods themselves (or a beach at 3AM) are an adventure. I go off the paths, into the thickets, or a river bank, or if the river bank is too narrow I just walk through the rivers themselves. Well, they're not exactly rivers, just little brooks, but it's still fun. Just all the sensations, the water rushing around my ankles, the noises of the animals, berry picking during berry season, looking at all of the colours...

There doesn't need to be other people for it to be an adventure. And it doesn't have to happen the way you hoped it would. To me, everything is exciting just because I can look at it and be amazed. Try looking more closely at things. A leaf might seem boring from far away, but when I look at all the veins and the bugs crawling on them, they're fascinating.

madjo

Postby madjo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

Walking in the woods? At 3AM?
When I did that just two weeks ago at 11PM, I was already mr Scaredy-pants. I loved my flashlight, at that time, but still I saw thing behind the bushes. (irrational fear for the lose)

Although I did go out later in the evening to shoot some pictures of the night's sky. But I avoided the woods. Still, I was spooked by a bull in a nearby pasture, and a man with his dog who just stood there and watched me, until I identified myself as a tourist wanting to take a picture of the night's sky. :)
I could count that as an adventure. :)

You are carrying:

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

I agree with madjo..

beach at night is one thing.. but walking alone in the woods a t 3 AM?

the forest is dark
during the wee hours of night
watch out for raptors

!!!!

schrodingersduck

Postby schrodingersduck » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

I find adventure is easiest to find if you don't look for it: every time I went out on a bear hunt or in search of buried treasure, I came back disappointed. However, when I went out to walk the dog, I discovered a Roman skeleton, and I quite assuredly was not disappointed!

(And yes, that did once happen to me; it got me on TV, although the footage is embarrassing; I was only about 8, so my voice is ridiculously high, and the only line they used from the extensive interview that gave me an entire day off school was "I thought someone had murdered someone and put the bones in the river". Still, it was an adventure.)

Stief

Postby Stief » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

I reckon just seeing what a moonlit sky over a 3am sea would be worth it...just you alone, seeing this amazing picture...and it's your picture...

(unless of course, someone else who reads XKCD in your general area has decided the 'Beach-at-3am' idea was great...then you can talk with them...who knows what'll happen?)
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:Arriving seaside,
The adventure ends.

[offtopic howmuch="totally"]

Anyone else ever make Haiku commit messages? I've done it a couple times:

Dual Extensions
The name, file.c.sites
just file.sites now

Parsing file.c
makes file.instr.i:
instrumented code

[/offtopic]

(Okay, I slightly modified the second one... the second line was originally "makes file.instr.i with", but I now think that has 8 syllables.)

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:33 am UTC

XD, should have been clearer. I go walking in the woods usually in the evening. I leave just before it gets dark, and ride my bike home. One of the wooded places I go to would just be confusing at night, and it would be hard to avoid the spiders. The other place I go would be utterly terrifying just because it's already utterly terrifying during the evening. It's just so big, and even if there are twenty other people walking there, I probably won't see them. I like the scariness of that place during the evening, though. It's more exciting.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:30 am UTC

bah, I go into the woods in the middle of the night. It's nice and peaceful then, you just need to relax, and see what happens. Once while I was at my cottage and couldn't sleep, I walked down to the shore and started walking around the lake. By the time I had barely walked 100 meters (I was in the totally undeveloped part of the area, so I wasn't even near anybody else's property), I was feeling tired, so I sat down, lying against a tree, and zonked right out. One of the best night sleeps I've ever had. When I'm out in the woods around my actual house though, I don't sleep of course, and I usually take my police baton-style flashlight, but I rarely use it. I just walk around, stopping every once in a while to listen to nature and what's going on around me, and I feel great. Every once in a while I even end up by a small stream without realizing it (I know where it is during the day, and that it's not used as a toxic dump or anything), so I go for a swim as it's just deep enough. Don't even bother changing out of my jeans or whatever I'm wearing, I just go for it. As far as I'm concerned, there's no better cure for when I'm having troubles sleeping, and it's always an adventure.

Tyris

Postby Tyris » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:45 am UTC

Darcey wrote:...or writing a poem covertly while my math teacher thinks I'm taking notes.

For the win. I'd barely written once a month during the summer, but as soon as school's back in...three poems in three days. Two in history class, one in math.

---

Anyway, domo, I can't believe you are incapable of having adventures. Everyone can have an adventure. It's all in how we as individuals define the term. You simply need to find your definition.

Here's a challenge for tomorrow to anyone who is up for it and has a suitable means of transportation: Drive/Ride/Whatever to a town(or city, whichever. for this purpose the larger the population, the better) one to two hours away (Obviously this town might be closer if you're walking, jogging, or riding a bike). No taking a freeway/interstate, either. If there are EXIT signs on the road, don't take it. Use a map if need be. Once there find something to take up an hour or two. Depending on age and time of day this could be anything. Taking a frisbee to a park and finding people with whom to throw it. Going to a play(not a movie, though. Too mundane). Going to a club/bar and playing pool/darts/dancing with total strangers. If you wander around this town long enough, you're bound to find something. An art show. A zoo. Street performers. The best little diner on your side of the Prime Meridian. Something. Once you've had your fun (and that's the goal. If you haven't had fun, stay until you do.) go on back home. Now you have a story (or several with any luck) to tell your friends, your family, and your friendly neighborhood XKCD forum thread.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:47 am UTC

Tyris wrote:Anyway, domo, I can't believe you are incapable of having adventures. Everyone can have an adventure. It's all in how we as individuals define the term. You simply need to find your definition.

I think that's the problem. My definition of 'adventure' is something exciting and unexpected. The problem is, if I go to the beach or the woods at 3AM, I'll know exactly what to expect, and it will happen, guaranteed. Go to the beach: I'll be alone. Yes, really, nobody else will be there. Try it. Go on a full moon? I expect to see a full moon reflected in the ocean. And yeah, there it'll be. And while it'll look pretty, it'll be exactly what I expected, and nowhere near exciting.

It's the same running into the streets problem from the beginning of the thread: sure, you could throw your keyboard away and run out into the street, expecting adventure and excitement to free you from your mundane life. But it won't happen. At the end of the street, you'll be out of breath, still in the street, and it'll look exactly the same as it has always looked.

Real adventure, for me, would be running a drug kartel or planning and executing a daring heist on a museum, then living a double life as a playboy businessman in the Riviera, who is leading a meta double life as an international art thief.

But if I do that, I'll die within the hour. So it's not very enticing.

The sad fact of the matter is that we don't live in the xkcdverse where you can go somewhere deserted and a girl will fly by on a balloon, or where you walk down the hall or the street and you'll meet somebody who just had an epic dream where they met themselves and convinced themselves to speak with strangers. I guess this is why I dislike these life/love themed comics: they try to entice you take action and experience something, but it will never happen.

On another note, that's why I loved the nighttime reading one, which amounted to "even if this mystery thing does happen, it's just going to be a disappointment." It was far more rooted in reality, which is why I liked it better.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:31 am UTC

Well I just rode my bike a long way and it wasn't very fun. Goddamn it wasn't fun. My bike sucks. Too hard to ride.

And Domovoi, have you actually been to the beach at 3AM? Because if you haven't, how can you know there's nobody there?

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:14 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:Nothing exciting or unexpected ever happens and even if it does it it will kill you or at least be disappointing.

I think you're a troll. No one can survive living in a world as boring as yours. >_>
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

madjo

Postby madjo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:31 am UTC

Tyris wrote:Here's a challenge for tomorrow to anyone who is up for it and has a suitable means of transportation: Drive/Ride/Whatever to a town(or city, whichever. for this purpose the larger the population, the better) one to two hours away (Obviously this town might be closer if you're walking, jogging, or riding a bike). No taking a freeway/interstate, either. If there are EXIT signs on the road, don't take it. Use a map if need be. Once there find something to take up an hour or two. Depending on age and time of day this could be anything. Taking a frisbee to a park and finding people with whom to throw it. Going to a play(not a movie, though. Too mundane).

I could go for that. Too bad I know most of the towns in my vicinity, but I could try that. I do have a place I'd like to go to, where I haven't been, but I haven't had time to go there. (also I have no idea how to get there, but I will get there this year.)

Going to a club/bar and playing pool/darts/dancing with total strangers.

I do not feel at ease around strangers. Never have, and have a hard time because of that. I can't seem to open up in those occasions. That has to do with past experiences. I never have had a good time when I went to clubs and bars.

BTW, I am about to embark on a new exciting adventure. I am very close to buying my first ever house. That's exciting and also scary at the same time. :)

You are carrying:

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:40 am UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:Nothing exciting or unexpected ever happens and even if it does it it will kill you or at least be disappointing.

That's a pretty good summation, yeah. I'd suggest a few tweaks though:

"Exciting and unexpected things rarely happen, and when they do, they'll kill you, be disappointing, or unpleasant."

Yep, that's pretty much how I feel.

Invisible Queen wrote:I think you're a troll. No one can survive living in a world as boring as yours. >_>

Ah, I see how it goes. Don't agree with an aspect of XKCDism and you're a troll. Alright, I'll adapt. "There's an exciting world out there that we all just need to open up to. Also, Oh me yarm, asking somebody out is really scary!"

Do I comply as a citizen now?

madjo

Postby madjo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Domovoi wrote:
Invisible Queen wrote:Nothing exciting or unexpected ever happens and even if it does it it will kill you or at least be disappointing.

That's a pretty good summation, yeah. I'd suggest a few tweaks though:

"Exciting and unexpected things rarely happen, and when they do, they'll kill you, be disappointing, or unpleasant."

There really isn't anything in life you wonder about? Something that amazes you? Perhaps you have too high expectations of adventures or of life in general? I'm no expert, so I can't (and won't) judge.
But I do think that a life without wonderment is pretty bleak. I wonder aboiut a lot of stuff. I don't have many adventures per se, but when I encounter exciting/unexpected things, I do try to enjoy it. (which doesn't always work)

Invisible Queen wrote:I think you're a troll. No one can survive living in a world as boring as yours. >_>

Ah, I see how it goes. Don't agree with an aspect of XKCDism and you're a troll. Alright, I'll adapt. "There's an exciting world out there that we all just need to open up to. Also, Oh me yarm, asking somebody out is really scary!"

Do I comply as a citizen now?

What I think Invisible Queen meant was that you might have taken that (op)position on purpose if only to get replies.
I don't think you are a troll.

Oh and asking someone out is indeed really scary. :)

You are carrying:

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:57 am UTC

I don't speak for xkcdism, but I hope you're a troll, because I don't have enough pity for you if you're for real.
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

I don't think there's anything wrong with not having adventures, I just think my life would be unbelievably dull without them.

I was thinking about this last night, actually. When I was a kid and still lived at my dad's, I had adventures constantly. He has 4 acres of land, which has a creek going through it and maybe a half acre of woods. No, not much, certainly not enough to get lost in, but to me the possibilites were endless. If I went to just the right spot in the woods, I couldn't see the house or the road -- I could just see the trees and maybe the creek, and all I could hear was the water. The woods could be anywhere, and in my head they often were. (This imagination probably came from being an only child with no kids my age anywhere nearby and reading a lot...)

When my parents split up, my mum and I moved into an upstairs apartment in town. The adventures pretty much stopped...I had a pretty boring life from the ages of 10/11-14. I had some adventures, sure, but they were mainly at my friends' houses, who had places we could get lost in. Because up until then I'd only had adventures in the woods and such, I didn't realise the possibilities that were open to me.

Then at 14, when we moved to England, I started having adventures again. Now everything's an adventure...walking the dog, getting the train (even just home from school), walking to the shops from school...

I'm certainly not going to criticise people who can't find it in them to have as many adventures as I can -- if I hadn't moved I probably wouldn't be able to either. I don't think that means your life is worse than mine or anything like that, I just don't think I could live like that.

That's not to say I pity you, because I think that seems condescending (especially as I assume you're older than me...). I hope you do have a good life, even without adventures, but I also hope you manage to find adventures sometimes.

(Sorry, this got away from me a bit, I didn't intend it to be quite so long...)

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:25 pm UTC

Invisible Queen wrote:I don't speak for xkcdism, but I hope you're a troll, because I don't have enough pity for you if you're for real.

In that case it's a good thing I'm not asking for any.

madjo wrote:There really isn't anything in life you wonder about? Something that amazes you? Perhaps you have too high expectations of adventures or of life in general?

I wonder about stuff, and there are things that amaze me, absolutely. I just don't consider them to be adventures of the type suggested in these comics. As in, breaking-out-of-the-bleak-and-mundane type experiences. Sure, finding a weird building or meeting an odd person in the street is fun, but it's hardly interesting life material.

And yeah, maybe my expectations of life are too high. The conclusions one can draw from that terrify me.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:04 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:

Ah, I see how it goes. Don't agree with an aspect of XKCDism and you're a troll.

Yep, we'll need to brand you now, "NX" for "Non-xkcd".
after that, we'll implant the capsules in you heatr and brain filled with arsenic that will open should you ever post here again.

Enjoy the rest of the internet.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

LassLisa

Postby LassLisa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:27 pm UTC

Domovoi wrote:"Exciting and unexpected things rarely happen, and when they do, they'll kill you, be disappointing, or unpleasant."

Unexpected/new things happen to me all the time. I went for a walk and met a new person, I started chatting with a lady in a park and got to throw a frisbee to her dog which was not something I had expected to do at all, I went to an Ethiopian restaurant for the first time...

Every time you try and do something outside of your comfort zone that's making an adventure possible. Same goes for when you're forced out of your comfort zone; if your plane is delayed overnight in Chicago but you've never been anywhere other than New York and Malibu, take the opportunity to go out and see part of the city rather than moping about how your plans were waylaid.

Adventure is by definition not part of the plan. If you've been planning for a week to go to the beach at 3 AM, it's nothing interesting; what's cool is that when you're planning to go to bed, someone comes in and says "Hey, I wanted to go to the beach" and then you do. And have a great time of it, looking at the sea and stars and enjoying the cool sea air, maybe having a bonfire... when it was totally unexpected. It's like getting a present.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:44 pm UTC

Speaking of adventure... I want to go for a bike ride after midnight, though I know it's a bad idea. I think I'll have to wait until I move out, else my parents will be quite angry :P

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:58 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Domovoi wrote:

Ah, I see how it goes. Don't agree with an aspect of XKCDism and you're a troll.

Yep, we'll need to brand you now, "NX" for "Non-xkcd".
after that, we'll implant the capsules in you heatr and brain filled with arsenic that will open should you ever post here again.

Enjoy the rest of the internet.

Oh cummon, I'm sure we won't do the implantation procedure.. thats just too..... much work. I vote we just set the dogs on him.
----------
muahahahhahahhahahaha

and anyways, I do, to some extent agree with Domovoi...

ifeedlions

Postby ifeedlions » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

I'll perform the implant. Digging through people's insides can be such an... adventure. Like on the Magic Schoolbus. But with scalpels.
Let me fall out of the window, with confetti in my hair...

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

I would like it known that three months ago I went to the beach at 3am and met someone reading by torchlight. He was called Aaron, and the book he was reading was "Shock Wave" by Clive Cussler. Apparently he loves the sea, and wants to be a marine biologist, will be starting University next year. I thought that was very, very cool.

And what you are is silly. You keep saying you know what will happen, but you don't! You assume you know, so as to give yourself a reason to not go. How can you know until you try?

And it's not like everything you do will turn into a big life-changing event, sometiems it is enough to just see the full moon reflected in the water and remind yourself just how beautiful the universe is.

Anyway, it does not affect my life if you don't have adventures, I shall remain having mine.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:And what you are is silly. You keep saying you know what will happen, but you don't! You assume you know, so as to give yourself a reason to not go. How can you know until you try?

I have tried. Where did I say I haven't? I'm not just pulling my opinion on these matters out of the air, you know.

But to humor you, I'll have a go at the beach tonight. I'm setting my alarm for 2, I should make it there at about 2:30. We'll see.[/i]

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

Adventure is a mentality, not an action.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:Speaking of adventure... I want to go for a bike ride after midnight, though I know it's a bad idea. I think I'll have to wait until I move out, else my parents will be quite angry :P

That sounds amazing. If it wasn't for the fact that 1) I don't have a bike 2) I would never go outside around my house alone after dark and 3) my mother and stepdad would not be impressed with me at all, I'd definitely be doing that...

I wish I lived somewhere where I didn't have to feel scared to go out alone after dark. It takes away so much potential for adventure.

Oh, and Dom...it'll never be an adventure if you're trying it just to humour someone else, because you'll be so convinced it won't be that you could miss opportunities...

OfficiallyHaphazard
Age=postcount/60

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

meh, I think it would be an adventure...

---- 45 years later ----

"Now listen closely, John, one time, when I was about your age, some random people over the interwebs started bashing me for my disbelief that going to the beach at midnight would be an adventure... well to show those random people i never met, I went to the beach way late at night. When I got back, (nothing much did happen) I was proud to know that I had saved myself from certain destruction from the hands of arsenic-implanting anarchists......

And thats why you should eat your veggies, Johnny"

The end :D

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”