1302: "Year in Review"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalcde

1302: "Year in Review"

Postby dalcde » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:46 am UTC

Title text: "All in all, I give this year a C-. There were no aurora visible from my house and that comet evaporated. They'd better not cancel the 2017 eclipse."

Why wasn't the reporter BHG

rhomboidal

Re: 1302: "Year in Review"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Lucky dinosaurs. They got to witness the most fantastic impact event firsthand.

And ISON was catastronomical.
Last edited by rhomboidal on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 am UTC

A GOOMHR moment for me, related to a brainfart I'm working on: a trick for a high power, very low frequency radio transmitter in high orbit that precipitates van Allen belt particles into the polar atmosphere before they diffuse to lower altitudes ( "L shells") and pick up more energy.

No effect on the radiation shielding of the earth's surface provided by earth's magnetic field. The ionosphere shields the earth's surface from the very low frequency radio energy.

The good effects: lower radiation dose for satellites, safer high-latitude plane flights, reduced power-line effects from coronal mass ejections, enhanced upper-stratosphere ozone.

The bad effect: the aurora will be less, and further towards the poles. Megan will be really pissed off. We can turn off the transmitter for the holidays, and she can fly to Fairbanks to watch. She can check the Fairbanks aurora forecast at http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Alaska/

The eclipse is still on, but if she wanted better comets, she was supposed to get her order out to the Oort cloud a LONG time ago.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:30 am UTC

Megan was correct about tons of big news stories of 2013. Besides the 100 tons of meteor dust and gravel that falls to earth every day, the Chelyabinsk Meteor weighed about 10,000 tons. A nice Valentine's Day present for Megan, and less than a nanoparsec of delivery error!

irino

Postby irino » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:55 am UTC

This is http://xkcd.com/1111/ continued.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

irino wrote:This is http://xkcd.com/1111/ continued.

Note that the other reporter is different. I guess he couldn't cope with her anymore.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Now really...

2013: The Big Beards went from worst in division to winning it all. How could she have skipped that?

Other items not to be overlooked, in no particular order:

-- Steam
-- 3-D printed self-aware nanobots (Ok I made that one up. I think.)
-- lab-grown hamburger
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:lab-grown hamburger

Is that the latest rock band the kidz are listening to?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Now really...

2013: The Big Beards went from worst in division to winning it all. How could she have skipped that?

Other items not to be overlooked, in no particular order:

-- Steam
-- 3-D printed self-aware nanobots (Ok I made that one up. I think.)
-- lab-grown hamburger

I was disappointed this morning to find that some preacher was Time's 'Person of the Year', rather then Snowdon.

To hijack the thread; what's the smart money say on where to view the Aug 21 2017 eclipse? It crosses the lower 48 from coast to coast. I'm guessing eastern Oregon, in the rain shadow east of the Cascades. To my inexpert eye, that seems the best bet for a clear sky.

ce

adavies42

Postby adavies42 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

dalcde wrote:There were no aurora visible from my house

Shouldn’t that be “aurorae”?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:I was disappointed this morning to find that some preacher was Time's 'Person of the Year', rather then Snowdon.

To hijack the thread; what's the smart money say on where to view the Aug 21 2017 eclipse? It crosses the lower 48 from coast to coast. I'm guessing eastern Oregon, in the rain shadow east of the Cascades. To my inexpert eye, that seems the best bet for a clear sky.

ce

Just goes to show: Time clearly has more Catholic subscribers than Anonymous subscribers. Or something like that.

As to viewing the eclipse, feel free to join the crowd at my secret villain's underground lair inside a dormant volcano. Excellent seeing conditions plus a good telescope. I won't be there, as I intend to be occupying (electorally, not protestationally :oops: ) the White House as of January 2017.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 pm UTC

adavies42 wrote:

Shouldn't that be "was no aurora" ? :twisted:
resume
Former OTTer

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:-- Steam

?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

adavies42 wrote:

I used to annoy a friend of mine by pluralising conga (the drum) as congae when labelling multitrack recordings.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Regards the 2017 eclipse:
cryptoengineer wrote:To hijack the thread; what's the smart money say on where to view the Aug 21 2017 eclipse? It crosses the lower 48 from coast to coast. I'm guessing eastern Oregon, in the rain shadow east of the Cascades. To my inexpert eye, that seems the best bet for a clear sky.

Sadly not. A few decades ago, I went to view a partial eclipse about 40 miles east of Mount Hood, and suddenly erupting mountain wave clouds obscured most of it. I presume the afternoon air aloft was moisture saturated, and the temperature drop associated with the eclipse was enough to chill it below dew point. Combined with the turbulence associated with the air rising over the obstruction of the Cascades, that generated a lot of high cloud cells. Keep in mind that the air up there radiates all the heat, but doesn't have nearly as much thermal mass as the whole air column to the ground.

Where's a good place? The Rose City Astronomers will have up-to-date forecasts on their website, and hundreds of eclipse chasers with some big telescopes travelling to wherever the viewing will be best. For the recent partial eclipse, they had a huge "star party" in the parking lot of the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland, with more than 1000 people showing up. The biggest scope had a high-pixel digital sun camera feeding a theater projector and 4 meter screen. We take our space events, CCDs, and projectors seriously around here.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:14 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I won't be there, as I intend to be occupying (electorally, not protestationally :oops: ) the White House as of January 2017.
What good is being elected President if you can't make astronomy mods to Air Force One, and invite your xkcd buddies to watch eclipses up in the stratosphere?

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:I was disappointed this morning to find that some preacher was Time's 'Person of the Year', rather then Snowdon.

ce

Just goes to show: Time clearly has more Catholic subscribers than Anonymous subscribers. Or something like that.

As to viewing the eclipse, feel free to join the crowd at my secret villain's underground lair inside a dormant volcano. Excellent seeing conditions plus a good telescope. I won't be there, as I intend to be occupying (electorally, not protestationally :oops: ) the White House as of January 2017.

Downthread a poster notes that the Cascade volcano lair may actually be a lousy spot. In the White House, you'll only get a partial eclipse - around 81%.

Researching, it looks like the Astronomical League is siting their AstroCon convention in Casper, Wyoming to meet the eclipse. I'm thinking of joining, so I can get in on the room block early.

ce

adavies42

Postby adavies42 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:28 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
adavies42 wrote:

I used to annoy a friend of mine by pluralising conga (the drum) as congae when labelling multitrack recordings.

It brought a little bit of joy to my heart the day I instinctively typed “http://fora.xkcd.com/” into the URL bar and found that it worked.

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

I can relate to the reporter inasmuch as there were several reports this past year about solar storms causing auroral displays viewable in the southern part of the United States, and I saw zero of them in the somewhat more Northerly latitude of Iowa...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

keithl wrote:
cellocgw wrote:I won't be there, as I intend to be occupying (electorally, not protestationally :oops: ) the White House as of January 2017.
What good is being elected President if you can't make astronomy mods to Air Force One, and invite your xkcd buddies to watch eclipses up in the stratosphere?

You're right - I forgot that NASA, or somebody, has a big plane w/ a telescope in it. I'll commandeer it for the show.
resume
Former OTTer

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
adavies42 wrote:

When a couple of my friends each showed up independently at a recurring dinner, each bragging on having bought a new Prius, I suggested they get together and have a race between their Priora.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:40 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:When a couple of my friends each showed up independently at a recurring dinner, each bragging on having bought a new Prius, I suggested they get together and have a race between their Priora.

You sure they didn't arrange the whole thing a priori?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Just goes to show: Time clearly has more Catholic subscribers than Anonymous subscribers. Or something like that.

When I first read this statement, I thought you referred to the "one true thread" and was confused, as it has its own religion(s).

I wonder who the Time person of the year is.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Soup

Postby Soup » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote: Time clearly has more Catholic subscribers than Anonymous subscribers. Or something like that.

Actually, Time consists largely of Initiates of Time, Timewaiters, Eastern Unorthodox Timewaiters, Knights Temporal, Sand Masons, Temporal Illuminati, Loopists, Fadists, Popes, Momes, heretics, basement dwellers, Inquisitors, haberdashers, blitzers, Raptor and Zombie Observation and Relocation (RAZOR) agents, bakers, ice cream makers, molpy hunters, time travelers, lurkers, ninjas, bots, guests and OTTers!

Pre-preview EDIT: Likely ninja'd, but oh well. :D
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

Uzh

Postby Uzh » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
adavies42 wrote:

It always gives me a headache when people around me use "stati" for the plural of "status", just to sound clever. Unfortunately the plural is status (with long u). Fourth declension. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_declension#Fourth_declension_.28u.29 Poor ones. They often do.

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Uzh wrote:It always gives me a headache when people around me use "stati" for the plural of "status", just to sound clever. Unfortunately the plural is status (with long u).

Yes! Everyone who has ever said stati, octupi or virii needs to read, study, and memorize the Straight Dope article on the subject. Immediately.

On the other hand, oddly enough, while it bugs me to no end when people improperly decline Latin nouns in English, I actually enjoy it when people invent archaic plural forms for newer words. Classic example: Vax, Vaxen. (Wait, do kids these days even know what a Vax is?) And at work, I often refer to our pair of Vyatta brand routers as the Vyattae. I guess the difference between annoyance and amusement is the belief that the person really does know better.

dalcde

Postby dalcde » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:Yes! Everyone who has ever said stati, octupi or virii needs to read, study, and memorize the Straight Dope article on the subject. Immediately.

Summary of article: It's so complicated that you'd better check the dictionary for words you're not sure about.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

dalcde wrote:
ps.02 wrote:Yes! Everyone who has ever said stati, octupi or virii needs to read, study, and memorize the Straight Dope article on the subject. Immediately.

Summary of article: It's so complicated that you'd better check the dictionary for words you're not sure about.

My usual grammar-jackboot-behavior notwithstanding, I feel like this is an issue approaching the prescriptive/descriptive question. Rules be damned.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:37 am UTC

Uzh wrote:
orthogon wrote:
adavies42 wrote:

It always gives me a headache when people around me use "stati" for the plural of "status", just to sound clever. Unfortunately the plural is status (with long u). Fourth declension. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_declension#Fourth_declension_.28u.29 Poor ones. They often do.

Georg

Octopodes. I'm one of today's lucky 10,000! :D
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:33 am UTC

ps.02 wrote:On the other hand, oddly enough, while it bugs me to no end when people improperly decline Latin nouns in English, I actually enjoy it when people invent archaic plural forms for newer words. Classic example: Vax, Vaxen. (Wait, do kids these days even know what a Vax is?) And at work, I often refer to our pair of Vyatta brand routers as the Vyattae. I guess the difference between annoyance and amusement is the belief that the person really does know better.

I'm just old enough to remember vaxen; but you're right, younger people will be more familiar with linuxboxen.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:54 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:(Wait, do kids these days even know what a Vax is?)

On the other hand, they still get the Microsoft vacuum cleaner joke.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Oh, another two that I like to use whenever possible:
mux (=multiplex, esp. in digital TV) => muxen, and
mutex => mutices

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”