1303: "Profile Info"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sardia

1303: "Profile Info"

Postby sardia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:23 am UTC

Alt: It's ok, they'll always let you opt out! Like they did with the YouTube real name profile thing

I always hate it when they use one of the random names I put in my emails. I should start keeping track so I know who sold my info to what.

rhomboidal

Re: 1303: "Profile Info"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Marketers probably won't use that last name anyway because they'll think all those hyphens are too "terrorist-y."

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:32 am UTC

That actually is his real surname. He's engaged to be married to Help I'm trapped in a driver's license factory Roberts. (this is canon, trust me)
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:11 am UTC

Alt: It's ok, they'll always let you opt out! Like they did with the YouTube real name profile thing

It took a lot convincing, but youtube doesn't use my real name. Now that I think of it, I just realized that they finally must have given up with the prompt to change that. That was really bothersome, but I pulled through.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:That actually is his real surname. He's engaged to be married to Help I'm trapped in a driver's license factory Roberts. (this is canon, trust me)

Any relation to Bobby Tables?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:30 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:That actually is his real surname. He's engaged to be married to Help I'm trapped in a driver's license factory Roberts. (this is canon, trust me)

That's her brother. This is even more canon.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
orthogon wrote:

That's her brother. This is even more canon.

That's what I was going to say: why not just make your last name

Code: Select all

this_product_sucks'); DROP TABLE subscribers;

Anyway, Happy Triskaidekaphobia Day!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Happy Triskaidekaphobia Day!

Today is 13-12-13 (or 12/13/13). Shouldn't it be 13-13-13?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
I always hate it when they use one of the random names I put in my emails. I should start keeping track so I know who sold my info to what.

Then you need this add-on http://www.abine.com/maskme/. Actually I've not tried it, so I don't' know how it is. But they give you fake email addresses for websites that either go to them (where you can access them) or can be forwarded to your "real" email. And they keep track of how often the original site sends emails and if that email address starts receiving mail from different places.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:08 pm UTC

I'm so removed from contemporary culture that I don't understand this "companies harvesting your profile" thing that apparently exists. But it sounds like the Matrix.
-Adam

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

Klear wrote:It took a lot convincing, but youtube doesn't use my real name. Now that I think of it, I just realized that they finally must have given up with the prompt to change that. That was really bothersome, but I pulled through.

Me too, although I usually don't browse youtube while logged in.

mathmannix wrote:

Are you confused by the 'tri' at the start of the word? It's a phobia of tri(s)-kai-deka (3 and 10). And coincidentally it's friday the thirteenth, too.

project2051 wrote:Then you need this add-on http://www.abine.com/maskme/. Actually I've not tried it, so I don't' know how it is. But they give you fake email addresses for websites that either go to them (where you can access them) or can be forwarded to your "real" email. And they keep track of how often the original site sends emails and if that email address starts receiving mail from different places.

So, err, abine can sell your profile for a lot more money? (and the US government/military can aggregate your profile more easily) :D

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:01 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
project2051 wrote:Then you need this add-on http://www.abine.com/maskme/. Actually I've not tried it, so I don't' know how it is. But they give you fake email addresses for websites that either go to them (where you can access them) or can be forwarded to your "real" email. And they keep track of how often the original site sends emails and if that email address starts receiving mail from different places.

So, err, abine can sell your profile for a lot more money? (and the US government/military can aggregate your profile more easily) :D

No, you can totally trust abine. That thing about them selling your profile was debunked on, err...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:

"It was the 13th hour of the 13th day of the 13th month. We were there to discuss the misprinted calendars the school had purchased." "Lousy Smarch weather!"

maadneet

Postby maadneet » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

Reminds me of how Bob Had-A-Baby-It's-A-Boy saved money when using collect calls...

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

What coincidence. I received an unwanted call today. It unfolded something like this:

Me: Hello?
CrappyFirm: Hello mr. PolakoVoador¹, we're from blahblah, would you like to make an investment blahblahblah?
Me: Well, maybe. But first answer me this: how did you get my name and phone number?
CF: Sorry?
M: My number, how did you get it?
CF: I just receive a list of phones to call...
M: Yeah, ok, but the people who handed you the list, where do they get the information?
CF: ... So, you're not interest in making an investment?
M: That still doesn't answer my question
CF: Good bye!

¹Not my real name

edzieba

Postby edzieba » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Like they did with the YouTube real name profile thing
I just kept clicking 'ask me later' and it now seems to have given up trying to link my profile to anything.

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

edzieba wrote:
I just kept clicking 'ask me later' and it now seems to have given up trying to link my profile to anything.

I have sort of that thing I guess? Now I have one with my real name and one with (almost) my normal username. The real name one is sort of a by-product of being at a university, but it still lets me use the username for everything, and it doesn't link to me personally. It's wierd.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:36 pm UTC

ShadedKnight wrote:
edzieba wrote:

I have sort of that thing I guess? Now I have one with my real name and one with (almost) my normal username. The real name one is sort of a by-product of being at a university, but it still lets me use the username for everything, and it doesn't link to me personally. It's wierd.

I have two accounts, one of which is linked to my real name for gmail purposes - whenever I switch back to that one, it offers me a choice between using my real name or my screen name. If you're sticking with one account, it'll just let you stick with it without any further prompting, but on a shared machine or similar...

PolakoVoador wrote:What coincidence. I received an unwanted call today. It unfolded something like this:

Me: Hello?
CrappyFirm: Hello mr. PolakoVoador¹, we're from blahblah, would you like to make an investment blahblahblah?
Me: Well, maybe. But first answer me this: how did you get my name and phone number?
[...]

Here in the UK, the magic phrase is "Is this an unsolicited sales call?"

I have an acquaintance who runs his own mail server so his throwaway email addresses are of the form given_out_to_crappy_firm_Jan_2012@myserver.uk - email to unresolved addresses gets dumped in the his inbox, but the address tells him who leaked it...

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 pm UTC

Google couldn't have fucked up the new account system much worse. It's not just that they forced people to create a Google+ account just to comment or that they broke replying to old comments or that they broke the notification system and the homepage. It's that they made it abundantly clear they did not care at all what their users thought and gave no explanation for the change. They didn't even piss on us politely.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:Google couldn't have fucked up the new account system much worse. It's not just that they forced people to create a Google+ account just to comment or that they broke replying to old comments or that they broke the notification system and the homepage. It's that they made it abundantly clear they did not care at all what their users thought and gave no explanation for the change. They didn't even piss on us politely.

That seems the general format of websites these days:

"Hey, guys, look at this website".
"Hey, this looks pretty good. Works well. Decent interface. Some stuff to be desired but I can live with it".
"Hey look, they improved it a bit. The changes throw me off a bit but this actually seems pretty good".
"Okay, few more changes. Not bad. I'll live".
"Okay, seriously, that was unnecessary".
"Why would you do that? That completely messes everything up"
"Wait... no.. .stop"
"What the hell".
"Damn you and your damn ads".

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:32 pm UTC

The only thing that kinda excuses google is that we are talking about comments on youtube. Seriously, who cares?

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:57 pm UTC

Klear wrote:The only thing that kinda excuses google is that we are talking about comments on youtube. Seriously, who cares?

No.

You can't leave reviews on anything without using your full name. Which, you know, blows.

Of course, the fact that I was planning on leaving a humorous BHG-style fake review when I first realized you needed to use your full name does serve as a putative defense.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:
Klear wrote:The only thing that kinda excuses google is that we are talking about comments on youtube. Seriously, who cares?

No.

You can't leave reviews on anything without using your full name. Which, you know, blows.

Of course, the fact that I was planning on leaving a humorous BHG-style fake review when I first realized you needed to use your full name does serve as a putative defense.

Dude. Youtube comments.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
davidstarlingm wrote:

No.

Dude. Youtube comments.

Reviews. Like, for businesses.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:

No.

That's definitely not the case. You can use whatever name you want. You can use your full name if you so choose (or you can use a name which you claim is your full name), or you can just use a username like you always have. My Youtube account is still "EebstertheGreat," though it always asks me if I would like to use my full name.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

I opted out every single time YouTube asked me if I wanted to use my real name.

At some point, they just stopped asking and made it my real name.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:48 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I opted out every single time YouTube asked me if I wanted to use my real name.

I think you may have misclicked somewhere. I weathered it and they stopped asking, but left me with a nickname.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:35 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I opted out every single time YouTube asked me if I wanted to use my real name.

I think you may have misclicked somewhere. I weathered it and they stopped asking, but left me with a nickname.

That leaves the question: did you ever fill in your real name in the first place?

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:39 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Klear wrote:

That leaves the question: did you ever fill in your real name in the first place?

Yeah, they know it. It was displayed on these prompts.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Google used to ask me if I would like to use my real name or my username or "ask me later". At some point either "ask me later" ceased to be an option, or I misclicked, and told it I wanted to use my username -- which I really didn't, I was perfectly happy logging in with just my email. Now, everyone who uses Gmail has my username show up in their address book instead of either my plain email or my real name if it's someone who had that, like say my girlfriend. Now my girlfriend has to email "Pfhorrest" rather than my real name, because fuck Google that's why.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”