1304: "Glass Trolling"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

1304: "Glass Trolling"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 am UTC

Title text: Plus, when somebody finally grabs your glasses and stomps on them, it costs way less than $1,500 to replace them.

---

OK, Glass, post the new Otherthread in the forum.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Eternal Density

Re: 1190+114: "Glass Trolling"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:22 am UTC

Boabobs, the Outsiders are unraptorish todip!

I don't even talk to my phone. Well occasionally I try it but it's usually quicker to just type stuff :P As for Glass... well I suppose it could be handy for molpy-hunting videos
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

rhomboidal

Re: 1304: "Glass Trolling"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:24 am UTC

I'd talk to my glasses like they were the holodeck from Star Trek. If I'm going to be annoying, I'd want to be mind-blowingly annoying.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:25 am UTC

Oh good, there's an Outsider. :)

I keep looking at the title and wondering what sort of Sandcastle Builder boost "Glass Trolling" is.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I'd talk to my glasses like they were the holodeck from Star Trek. If I'm going to be annoying, I'd want to be mind-blowingly annoying.

Luckily there is less chance for the glass to malfunction and attempt to kill everyone on board.

Spoiler:
Spoiler.gif
Edited in for future use
Spoiler.gif (1.45 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Last edited by Neil_Boekend on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:34 am UTC

I think it would be amusing to see all the pairs of Google Glass attack their wearers simultaneously.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

marararam

Postby marararam » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:08 am UTC

[...] it costs way less than $1,500 to replace them.

Hm. Really? Seems to me glasses are way to expensive around here.

Gargravarr

Postby Gargravarr » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:22 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I'd talk to my glasses like they were the holodeck from Star Trek.

In awkward situations I like to mutter "Computer! Exit!". One day it'll work...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Oh good, there's an Outsider. :)

I keep looking at the title and wondering what sort of Sandcastle Builder boost "Glass Trolling" is.
Hilariously I just happened to add something called 'Glass Goats' which is related because of the story about the billygoats and the troll but I definitely wan't thinking about this when I made it.

Does rhomboidal fully count as an Outsider, being the OTT-starter and all?
Gargravarr wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:I'd talk to my glasses like they were the holodeck from Star Trek.

In awkward situations I like to mutter "Computer! Exit!". One day it'll work...
Next day edit: whoops forgot to write something here. But yeah I found that amusing.
Last edited by Eternal Density on Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Does rhomboidal fully count as an Outsider, being the OTT-starter and all?

Good point! I'm used to associating rhomboidal with Otherthreads, but thread-founder status eliminates Outsiderness. Luckily there have been a couple more posters since then.

It sounds like "OK, Glass" might be a suitable substitute phrase for "Go Go Gadget."
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:02 am UTC

Ron Glass is going to get very pissed in the future.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:22 am UTC

I think it generally hasn't been very busy lately. Maybe people are busy finishing things before Christmas.

Glasses can be very expensive, I think it depends on what kind of lenses you need.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:33 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Title text: Plus, when somebody finally grabs your glasses and stomps on them, it costs way less than $1,500 to replace them.

Yeah, but on the downside, I'm like ridiculously dependent on my glasses in an I'm-desperately-blind-without-them kind of way.

I guess there would be people who make the same claim about their phones, glasses-style or not, but those people suck.

Anyway, the worst part about Google Glass is that it's based on the whole premise, which has been annoying for a long time, that talking to a device is automatically more convenient than pushing buttons on a device. Why technology makers from phones to cars to TVs to robotic telephone assistants insist that this is a better way to interact with a thing is a mystery to me. Personally I feel like a doofus talking when nobody's there and an even bigger doofus when the device doesn't understand what I'm saying and I have to repeat it.

You know how malls and stores and airports and places in general these days are filled with people staring at their phones? At least that's quiet! Could you imagine the din if all those people were now talking to their stupid glasses?

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 am UTC

sonar1313 wrote:I guess there would be people who make the same claim about their phones, glasses-style or not, but those people suck.

I normally don't feel that way, but there have been occasions when my phone got broken/stolen, and without it I felt weird, like missing an arm or something. The knowledge that nobody can contact me, something which we take for granted nowadays, is quite unsettling.

When I, say, forget my phone at home, I don't feel like that.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:07 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:I guess there would be people who make the same claim about their phones, glasses-style or not, but those people suck.

Now you made me wonder: are you supposed to wear them over your glasses? Do you get it as a frame without lenses/glasses? Or is it only intended for people who don't wear glasses?

EDIT: Option one would look really silly, like wearing safety glasses while walking around on the street. Then again, if this was anticipated as a problem, they would have made it somewhat more elegant in the first place, instead of making them look like safety glasses. I suppose it'll only be a little while until the release of Samsung and iGlasses, with the data actually projected onto the lens/glass from the frame (although they might need a medium with a different refractive index for the lenses, I'm not really sure about that, but you cannot see beyond a couple tens of degrees from straight ahead through glasses anyway as that is where the glasses usually end).

chris857

Postby chris857 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Not really related to the comic, but since I don't know a better place: I was rather amused by the xckd store banner I got just now.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:53 pm UTC

There's actually a thread for the store banners; that one's from the new M series of banners, and doesn't have any variations (yet).

Glasses are surprisingly expensive, depending on the prescription needed. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of some costing as much as Google Glass.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

project2051

Postby project2051 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Mehh... I'm waiting for Google contacts.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:I'd talk to my glasses like they were the holodeck from Star Trek. If I'm going to be annoying, I'd want to be mind-blowingly annoying.

Luckily there is less chance for the glass to malfunction and attempt to kill everyone on board.

Dunno...

"I keep hearing voices in my head telling me to blow up the airplane! Oh, wait, that's the [redacted] darkweb site via my GoogleGlass."

ETA - I have a hard time calling this behavior a "hobby." More of a "Warning! Person with Asberger's approaching" thing.

EETA: What's my classification if I've emigrated from OTT and am a naturalized Outsider?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:EETA: What's my classification if I've emigrated from OTT and am a naturalized Outsider?
Well, you'd have dual citizenship. Once an OTTer, always an OTTer.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

The "Ok," part was a pretty brilliant move on Google's part. It sounds natural and makes it almost impossible to trip a false positive by talking about glass. Microsoft with their Kinect voice commands could learn from this, assuming Google haven't patented the idea. (I'm sure they have.)
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

I still think "Go Go Glass" would be better.

cellocgw wrote:EETA: What's my classification if I've emigrated from OTT and am a naturalized Outsider?

Jose's right, you're still an OTTer. Though you may find yourself subject to more comfy chair sessions.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Wasn't that the plot of an episode?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:14 am UTC

That's a wonderful depiction of how our mobile devices distract nowadays. :P

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Ok, Glass, help me take Siri on a date.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:55 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:The "Ok," part was a pretty brilliant move on Google's part. It sounds natural and makes it almost impossible to trip a false positive by talking about glass.

Oliver K. Glass, co-author of Increasing vaccine potency through exosome antigen targeting, might disagree.

Does any of this voice-activated AI stuff actually work? My Google Android phone won't synchronise the native calendar app to my Google Calendar however much I twiddle with the settings, and I'm supposed to believe I can just talk to this thing and it will work out what I want?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:48 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Does any of this voice-activated AI stuff actually work? My Google Android phone won't synchronise the native calendar app to my Google Calendar however much I twiddle with the settings, and I'm supposed to believe I can just talk to this thing and it will work out what I want?

You just have to start threatening it a little.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:Ron Glass is going to get very pissed in the future.

Hide the kneecaps!

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:46 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:Anyway, the worst part about Google Glass is that it's based on the whole premise, which has been annoying for a long time, that talking to a device is automatically more convenient than pushing buttons on a device.

And even when the thing understands your words, it still misunderstands. When you tell your friends "You just have to say 'ok glass', and then the command . . ." it stupidly reacts to your quotation of 'ok glass' in a way that real humans would not. These things struggle to understand our words, and fail completely to grasp context. Not understanding context makes it a lot less userfriendly. At least I can point to a touchscreen and talk about it without anything unexptected happening.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:42 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Does any of this voice-activated AI stuff actually work? My Google Android phone won't synchronise the native calendar app to my Google Calendar however much I twiddle with the settings, and I'm supposed to believe I can just talk to this thing and it will work out what I want?

All I know is that Siri is way better at interpreting what you're asking for than Xbox One Kinect. Having seen the latter in action, I'm willing to settle for just the flexible syntax and decent word recognition that you get from the cloud-based voice apps; everything else is just window dressing.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:24 pm UTC

Hafting wrote:in a way that real humans would not.

You might be surprised.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:57 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:
orthogon wrote:Does any of this voice-activated AI stuff actually work? My Google Android phone won't synchronise the native calendar app to my Google Calendar however much I twiddle with the settings, and I'm supposed to believe I can just talk to this thing and it will work out what I want?

All I know is that Siri is way better at interpreting what you're asking for than Xbox One Kinect. Having seen the latter in action, I'm willing to settle for just the flexible syntax and decent word recognition that you get from the cloud-based voice apps; everything else is just window dressing.

The thing is that Siri is designed for interpreting natural language, the X1 Kinect isn't. It's meant to interpret a very limited list of specific commands, and be able to match up words or short phrases with their text form (ie, the green-highlighted words when in "Xbox Select" mode).
It's sort of like comparing apples and oranges since they're both fruit. They both do that very well (in this case, interpret audio signals and convert to text for further processing), but then they do entirely different things.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”