1318: "Actually"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1318: "Actually"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 am UTC

Title Text: Protip: You can win every exchange just by being one level more precise than whoever talked last. Eventually, you'll defeat all conversational opponents and stand alone.

"Actually, measurements suggest that circular reasoning is flat..."

Farabor

Re: 1318: "Actually"

Postby Farabor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:23 am UTC

Actually, there's a homeomorphism between all of them, so they're the same, really!

(Okay, so I'm just learning topology now, so sue me....)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:25 am UTC

Okay, admit it. How many people physically turned their monitor/laptop upside down in order to read this in a circle?

Too bad we didn't have someone like Beret Guy's input in this sphere. The humor would be nice.

firestar27

Postby firestar27 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:34 am UTC

Farabor wrote:Actually, there's a homeomorphism between all of them, so they're the same, really!

Um, actually, I can't think of any homeomorphism between a plane and a sphere. If the sphere was filled in, then they could both contract to a point, but that would be homotopy, not homeomorphisms.

Keep on with the topology though! It sort of define all other math on the way as well. :)

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:40 am UTC

Actually, I want to make a literally/figuratively joke. but I literally just can't come up with anything.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 am UTC

Ironically enough, we assume that it is both flat, and at the center of the universe when doing near earth space navigation.

You do, however, need to remember that the height is measured from the center of the earth, rather than mean sea level, as is common in more conventional navigation schemes. Otherwise you get some... interesting... anomalies.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:42 am UTC

firestar27 wrote:
Farabor wrote:Actually, there's a homeomorphism between all of them, so they're the same, really!

Um, actually, I can't think of any homeomorphism between a plane and a sphere. If the sphere was filled in, then they could both contract to a point, but that would be homotopy, not homeomorphisms.

Keep on with the topology though! It sort of define all other math on the way as well. :)

The only thing I can remember about topology is that a doughnut and a coffee cup are the same. but somehow I could never get my head around dunking a coffee cup into a doughnut.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 am UTC

Actually, it's a shape better defined by the EGM2008 coefficients.

(I win! \o/ )

:D
In all fairness...

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:11 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Okay, admit it. How many people physically turned their monitor/laptop upside down in order to read this in a circle?

Too bad we didn't have someone like Beret Guy's input in this sphere. The humor would be nice.

Actually if I wanted to do that I could just flip the orientation from the screen resolution menu in windows (7). Although I can actually read upside down just fine (actually slower but w/e) so I didn't bother. Actually though I read the comic from this thread since it hadn't actually updated for me for some reason until this edit. (Ok I'll stop now)

firestar27 wrote:

I'm not exactly an expert on the subject but are you referring to a plane as a two-dimensional object or what the conception of a flat-earth would look like which is more of a disc, it's a 3d object with a flat unbroken surface.

Keiji

Postby Keiji » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:36 am UTC

Am I the only one wondering if in the "Actually, measurements suggest it's flat", the "it" is actually referring to the universe from the previous sentence, stating it's flat instead of curved?

That would make the entire argument recursive, rather than circular.

ttscp

Postby ttscp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:52 am UTC

Keiji wrote:Am I the only one wondering if in the "Actually, measurements suggest it's flat", the "it" is actually referring to the universe from the previous sentence, stating it's flat instead of curved?

That would make the entire argument recursive, rather than circular.

That's the way I read it, except the recursion starts with the original flat earth hypothesis and is only modified to flat universe after the first time through the circle. A recursive argument, because Randall would never use a circular one.
Always act to increase the survival chances of the largest group you are a part of.

LazyMonk

Postby LazyMonk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:04 am UTC

The alt text nails it... Absolute precision is not all it's cracked up to be.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 am UTC

I do wonder though - if something looks like a sphere but it's in a part of space curved by its own gravity, what would it look like in a perfectly flat space (unmodified by gravity)...? Symmetry would suggest it would still be a sphere, I guess...? And how about a geoid? Or, as Lem might ask, a... cube...?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:15 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:Actually, I want to make a literally/figuratively joke. but I literally just can't come up with anything.

Actually, you could equally well say figuratively in the second sentence.

Yes, I actually try not to sound like someone who'd just fall for the joke. Except if you said that dead serious, in which case it's become a meta-joke.

m.alessandrini

Postby m.alessandrini » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:37 am UTC

Usually in forums people use "Actually..." as the first step in a range that goes on with "Technically you're correct, but...", then "Except that..." and then verging on the a**hole country.

m.alessandrini

Postby m.alessandrini » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:48 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:I do wonder though - if something looks like a sphere but it's in a part of space curved by its own gravity, what would it look like in a perfectly flat space (unmodified by gravity)...? Symmetry would suggest it would still be a sphere, I guess...? And how about a geoid? Or, as Lem might ask, a... cube...?

Actually, gravity is what formed spheres through simmetry. And, what about the observer, isn't he curved by gravity as well? Do two curvatures add, or elide? Maybe Randall Munroe is a sphere and he doesn't know :D
Last edited by m.alessandrini on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kaktus Kontrafaktus

Postby Kaktus Kontrafaktus » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:52 am UTC

I made it rotate (onyl for fast readers, though): bit.ly/1auz5PU

(I'm not allowed to use [img], feel free to repost/embed this)

The Synologist

Postby The Synologist » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Okay, admit it. How many people physically turned their monitor/laptop upside down in order to read this in a circle?

I accidentally discovered that I can flip my screen in all four directions by hitting ctrl+alt+arrow key awhile back. Which is great, because I can't read sideways or upside-down at all. Came in quite handy for this comic.

Ziggid

Postby Ziggid » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:55 am UTC

Well actually, we're all trapped in the world of Mario Galaxy

NoKaOi

Postby NoKaOi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am UTC

Protip: If you want to stay married (or keep a girlfriend, or get a girlfriend), and you are about to begin a sentence with "actually" then DON'T SAY IT.
Options for alternative sentences include:
    -Yes honey.
    -Oh, that's an interesting way of looking at it.
Or, if if she's not really paying attention:
    -Ah
    -Huh
    -I see
Or, if the thing she said is about to result in serious injury or death:
    -Yeah, that's what I would have thought too, but all the doctors I've ever been to told me...
Do not, under any circumstances, begin a sentence with "actually." Actually, I take that back, if you want her to dump you so you don't have to dump her, especially if she's the crazy stalker type, then go ahead, use "actually."

StClair

Postby StClair » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:56 am UTC

For values of "win" that mostly correlate to being a lonely, friendless pedant.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:11 am UTC

The Synologist wrote:I accidentally discovered that I can flip my screen in all four directions by hitting ctrl+alt+arrow key awhile back.
You don't want to do this if your normal configuration involves an "extended" desktop of two monitors, each a different size. Trust me, just don't.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:40 am UTC

Actually, English is the only language which uses "actually" in this way. Cognates are common in Germanic, Romance and Slavic languages, but as far as I know they all mean "currently". What do our non-native English speakers make of this comic?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:45 am UTC

firestar27 wrote:

Um, actually, I can't think of any homeomorphism between a plane and a sphere.

Actually, there is a homeomorphism between a sphere and an extended plane (a plane with added "infinity" point), and quite a lot of (if not all) complex analysis is based on it.

necroforest

Postby necroforest » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:08 pm UTC

IIRC, EGM96 defines the gravitational potential (or, deviation from an ideal gravitational potential), but not the actual shape. The shape is typically modeled as an ellipsoid (WGS84) + local topography (which is usually a sampled grid of 'height-above-ellipsoid' values)
ONE PART CLASS, ONE PART WHISKEY, TWO PARTS GUN! SERVE NEAT!

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

The lack of symmetry between the positions of each stick figure may be disturbing to people with OCD.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:14 pm UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:Actually, I want to make a literally/figuratively joke. but I literally just can't come up with anything.

You read Basic Instructions, don't you?

Wooloomooloo wrote:I do wonder though - if something looks like a sphere but it's in a part of space curved by its own gravity, what would it look like in a perfectly flat space (unmodified by gravity)...? Symmetry would suggest it would still be a sphere, I guess...? And how about a geoid? Or, as Lem might ask, a... cube...?

With the defects in that sphere that everyone had been discussing, in principle, one could tell the difference.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:22 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:The lack of symmetry between the positions of each stick figure may be disturbing to people with OCD.
XKOCD?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Robocop

Postby Robocop » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:43 pm UTC

firestar27 wrote:

I think what the OP was remembering was that they are all manifolds that have local flatness. Meaning every point in each has a neighborhood that is homeomorphic to the plane.

Kit. wrote:Actually, there is a homeomorphism between a sphere and an extended plane (a plane with added "infinity" point), and quite a lot of (if not all) complex analysis is based on it.

I remember this! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riemann_sphere

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:53 pm UTC

I make a conscious effort not to use "actually" in any post I write because it's among the most overused words on the Internet. It's the first thing that comes to mind when you want to refute something someone said, which is what most posts on the Internet are for (the ones that are instead in agreement employ another overused word, "This."). Much like what I posted about in the "Photo" thread, I feel that it's lazy.

I challenge everyone reading this to step up your writing by finding alternatives to "actually" and "This." in your posting.
Last edited by dp2 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:58 pm UTC

Actually, dimensions are Newtonian locally and become more uncertain further out.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:I challenge everyone reading this to step up your writing by finding alternatives to "actually" and "This." in your posting.

May I take this opportunity to concur most emphatically with the above.
Actually, I have only just discovered "This.", and am reluctant to cut short my enjoyment thereof. Get back to me in a year's time and I might reconsider.

bondsbw

Postby bondsbw » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:39 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:Actually, dimensions are Newtonian locally and become more uncertain further out.

Actually, any Reimannian manifold is smooth, meaning that for every point you can "zoom in" far enough that local measurements are practically linear/flat.

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

Actually, it's Earth-shaped.

Seriously, it is what it is. All the characters are trying to claim it's shaped like something else, something which can be described more simply. In every case, their simplification is inaccurate.

'The map is not the territory.' - Korzybski

The only accurate model would be another identical Earth.

The only accurate description would be a raster map down at Planck length.

Choose the model and level of accuracy you need for your purpose, and don't sweat the small stuff.

ce

jgh

Postby jgh » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

Actually, pi is precisely 3.128756238400923634859027251183659673529263549560904572528495.
(I never claimed accuracy)

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:Actually, it's Earth-shaped.

The only accurate model would be another identical Earth.

ce

!This :twisted: Actually there can't be an identical Earth due to the Pauli exclusion principle. It might look the same but its quantum numbers will be different.
Plus Spock probably wears a goatee and intends to take over the identical Enterprise.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

The Old Superheroes Home!
...Sorry, the elderly
...No, the senior
..ALRIGHT, fine! the, chronologically gifted superheroes home!

can we PLEASE move on before they come up with a new euphemism? Can't say anything fun these days can you?

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:20 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Actually, English is the only language which uses "actually" in this way. Cognates are common in Germanic, Romance and Slavic languages, but as far as I know they all mean "currently". What do our non-native English speakers make of this comic?

In Czech, "aktuálně" indeed means currently, something which caused me a lot of confusion when learning English. The correct translation is usually "vlastně", from "vlastnit" - "to posses", though in this particular construction we'd say something like "In reality, ..."

Similar to this is the difference between "eventually", which means "in the end" and Czech "eventuálně", which means "alternatively".

chris857

Postby chris857 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

Klear wrote:In Czech, "aktuálně" indeed means currently, something which caused me a lot of confusion when learning English. The correct translation is usually "vlastně", from "vlastnit" - "to posses", though in this particular construction we'd say something like "In reality, ..."

Actually, this isn't the only language where this is true. Spanish is the same way, where "actualmente" mean "currently". Granted, I'm a native English speaker, so the lesson is: when learning a new language, watch out for false cognates.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
orthogon wrote:Actually, English is the only language which uses "actually" in this way. Cognates are common in Germanic, Romance and Slavic languages, but as far as I know they all mean "currently". What do our non-native English speakers make of this comic?

In Czech, "aktuálně" indeed means currently, something which caused me a lot of confusion when learning English. The correct translation is usually "vlastně", from "vlastnit" - "to posses", though in this particular construction we'd say something like "In reality, ..."

Similar to this is the difference between "eventually", which means "in the end" and Czech "eventuálně", which means "alternatively".

What about "presently"? It means "in the near future" in EN-GB, whereas EN-US uses "momentarily" for that. In EN-GB, "momentarily" means "for a brief moment".

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”