1323: "Protocol"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

1323: "Protocol"

Postby poxic » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 am UTC

Title text: "Changing the names would be easier, but if you're not comfortable lying, try only making friends with people named Alice, Bob, Carol, etc."

I actually have friends named Bob and Carol, but they're looking for another couple named Ted and Alice.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: 1323: "Protocol"

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:53 am UTC

"So, where's the punchline?"

Or is it just me who's expecting a joke* when someone starts talking about an Alice-and-Bob scenario?

*perhaps an awful pun about Eve crypling Alice and Bob after finding out their secrets or something along those lines.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:56 am UTC

Another installment in the "Randall gets kicked out of cryptography conferences"* plot line?

*well, and any other conference he can find

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:58 am UTC

"...try only making friends with people named Alice, Bob, Carol, etc." - but that's a recipe for disaster! I mean, what you gonna do if Eve sends the message to Alice, and Bob overhears it? You'll be running for your life from a lynch mob with pitchforks if you ever try to tell that story...!

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:37 am UTC

I think the funny here is that he's telling random boring anecdotes about real people, but the computer scientist is listening only because of the names.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:44 am UTC

Flumble wrote:"So, where's the punchline?"

Or is it just me who's expecting a joke* when someone starts talking about an Alice-and-Bob scenario?

*perhaps an awful pun about Eve crypling Alice and Bob after finding out their secrets or something along those lines.

The joke is that a computer scientist will be intrigued by any story you tell him, as long as you make it sound like a cryptography scenario, by including those three names in the story.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Jiffy

Postby Jiffy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:49 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:
Flumble wrote:"So, where's the punchline?"

The joke is that a computer scientist will be intrigued by any story you tell him, as long as you make it sound like a cryptography scenario, by including those three names in the story.

Finally somebody who gets it.
Pretty funny, in my opinion.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:09 am UTC

I have to admit, this would work on me.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:24 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:The joke is that a computer scientist will be intrigued by any story you tell him, as long as you make it sound like a cryptography scenario, by including those three names in the story.

Yes, I know.
...and thanks to you I'm now aware that the joke might not be obvious to anyone and you're not to blame for assuming I missed out on it. :P

To clarify my previous post (in case that was misinterpreted as well): I never encountered (serious) cryptographic small talk, so I'd assume any story about Alice and Bob is a set-up for a joke and therefore you'll have my undivided attention.
Last edited by Flumble on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 am UTC

Turns out you can also catch philosophers in the same trap.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

DBPZ

Postby DBPZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:01 am UTC

DNS poisoning is so easy when Eve can actually see the message,

casanunda

Postby casanunda » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:14 am UTC

well who said that the story doesn't continue with "Alice and Eve make out."

super_aardvark

Postby super_aardvark » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:56 am UTC

casanunda wrote:well who said that the story doesn't continue with "Alice and Eve make out."

That's the most hilarious part, though. In my mind, the story *does* continue that way, and the computer scientist is sitting there trying to figure out what computer-world scenario is being represented by the making out, and becoming very confused.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 am UTC

People always assume that Alice and Bob are the good kids, but...
what if Eve is Bob's wife? :shock:
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 am UTC

Locoluis wrote:People always assume that Alice and Bob are the good kids, but...

I don't know if they were actually married, but there is Eve's own testimony to suggest that she and Bob had something going before Alice came along.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:"...try only making friends with people named Alice, Bob, Carol, etc." - but that's a recipe for disaster! I mean, what you gonna do if Eve sends the message to Alice, and Bob overhears it? You'll be running for your life from a lynch mob with pitchforks if you ever try to tell that story...!

Not really. You need to preface the story with "In this one, we have a situation with initially unknown adversary (-ies)" and all bets are off*. Everyone will be too busy figuring out who's to fault instead. I can't help but wonder how many stories one could tell and how long it would take before people would catch up.

*) - Hey! In the end, it can turn out YOU were the bad guy.

And one lecturer at the uni used to do that all the time to mock (or to follow? I don't remember) the Basic Human Decency of maintaining some sort of diversity of actors in hypothetical scenarios. It got us to chuckle in the beginning. Then we had to go trough our notes before the exams...

edit: Wordfilters? Is the madness upon us? I'm tempted to leave that one in. Like literally rewrite it to that. :D

laurint

Postby laurint » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 am UTC

For all the noobs like me: Wikipedia has an article called "Alice and Bob" that will tell the punchline, or the point, in this comic. It seems that you have to get education in English to get it.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 pm UTC

Yubtzock wrote:And one lecturer at the uni used to do that all the time to mock (or to follow? I don't remember) the AAAHHHH THUMPY WOOBLE HARRRRRPINK!! of maintaining some sort of diversity of actors in hypothetical scenarios. It got us to chuckle in the beginning. Then we had to go trough our notes before the exams...

edit: Wordfilters? Is the madness upon us? I'm tempted to leave that one in. Like literally rewrite it to that. :D

I take it you were referring to gerbil swallowing. Anyway, Eve was African, as I understand it.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

poxic wrote:
I actually have friends named Bob and Carol, but they're looking for another couple named Ted and Alice.

Us old-timers remember when Da Brunz had a defense lineup of Bob and Carol and Ted an - Dallas. You could look it up.

Also: how appropriate to have a comic w/ heavy sexual innuendo on Hump Day
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

casanunda

Postby casanunda » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:32 pm UTC

super_aardvark wrote:
casanunda wrote:well who said that the story doesn't continue with "Alice and Eve make out."

That's the most hilarious part, though. In my mind, the story *does* continue that way, and the computer scientist is sitting there trying to figure out what computer-world scenario is being represented by the making out, and becoming very confused.

This would lead to some interesting entanglement as well.

Bossi

Postby Bossi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:03 pm UTC

Having just read this:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... hysicists/

I was growing increasingly concerned for Alice's well-being as the short story went on.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:42 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Also: how appropriate to have a comic w/ heavy sexual innuendo on Hump Day

Heavy sexual innuendo? Two girls meet by chance?

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

I was expecting Mallory to show up and steal everyone's credit cards via session hijacking.
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

super_aardvark wrote:the computer scientist is sitting there trying to figure out what computer-world scenario is being represented by the making out, and becoming very confused.

Hashing.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

Bossi wrote:Having just read this:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... hysicists/

I was growing increasingly concerned for Alice's well-being as the short story went on.

On the one hand, Alice wouldn't have fallen in if Eve hadn't pushed her. On the other hand, Eve wouldn't have pushed Alice if Alice hadn't stolen Bob from her.
We really need to keep those two girls away from each other (and Bob should probably find himself someone new).

Bounty

Postby Bounty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:30 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Also: how appropriate to have a comic w/ heavy sexual innuendo on Hump Day

We're talkinga bout computer scientists. Two girls in the same place at the same time? When does that ever happen to them?

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:42 pm UTC

Bounty wrote:
Klear wrote:

We're talkinga bout computer scientists. Two girls in the same place at the same time? When does that ever happen to them?

What are these "girls" that you talk about?
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

I guess I never thought about the Bechdel Test having such an obvious loophole. Did the rest of the Internets know about this loophole all along? Am I the last to get it?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:16 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
Bounty wrote:
Klear wrote:

What are these "girls" that you talk about?

I think he's referring to femmions. There can't be two of them in the same space (except when they oppose eachother; then they bond intimately).

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:32 pm UTC

Locoluis wrote:People always assume that Alice and Bob are the good kids, but...

I thought the same thing. Well, not necessarily that they were married, but at least in a relationship, I thought: Eve is going to find out Bob is cheating on her with Alice.
orthogon wrote:I take it you were referring to gerbil swallowing. Anyway, Eve was African, as I understand it.

These Eves are definitely from Fort Meade, Maryland, United States.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Alice, Bob, Carol, etc.

I know what Randall did here, but still... is it Dilbert for D?

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:06 am UTC

Kit. wrote:
poxic wrote:Alice, Bob, Carol, etc.

I know what Randall did here, but still... is it Dilbert for D?

Wikipedia would say Dan or Dave.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 am UTC

Yubtzock wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:"...try only making friends with people named Alice, Bob, Carol, etc." - but that's a recipe for disaster! I mean, what you gonna do if Eve sends the message to Alice, and Bob overhears it? You'll be running for your life from a lynch mob with pitchforks if you ever try to tell that story...!

Not really. You need to preface the story with "In this one, we have a situation with initially unknown adversary (-ies)" and all bets are off*. Everyone will be too busy figuring out who's to fault instead. I can't help but wonder how many stories one could tell and how long it would take before people would catch up.

*) - Hey! In the end, it can turn out YOU were the bad guy.

And one lecturer at the uni used to do that all the time to mock (or to follow? I don't remember) the AAAHHHH THUMPY WOOBLE HARRRRRPINK!! of maintaining some sort of diversity of actors in hypothetical scenarios. It got us to chuckle in the beginning. Then we had to go trough our notes before the exams...

Kind of like that one tutorial I ended up reading on how to make .bat files, where the tutorial example slowly evolved into a stealth keylogger...

VeloCityGirl

Postby VeloCityGirl » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

laurint wrote:For all the noobs like me: Wikipedia has an article called "Alice and Bob" that will tell the punchline, or the point, in this comic. It seems that you have to get education in English to get it.

Thanks! I thought there was some Ted and Carol reference as the thread-starter mentioned.
VeloCityGIrl, now hatted! Thanks buffygirl.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:02 pm UTC

laurint wrote:For all the noobs like me: Wikipedia has an article called "Alice and Bob" that will tell the punchline, or the point, in this comic. It seems that you have to get education in English to get it.

Wait, are you saying that the cryptographic actors have different names in other languages/countries? The Wikipedia pages in languages whose scripts I can read seem to use "Alice and Bob" or a close approximation, but I would have loved looking through all the Anastasias and Bunjis.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

Its like nerd-sniping, but with crypto-guys.

Crissa

Postby Crissa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

All the names are basically alphabetical, too, which makes encoding so much easier.

-Crissa

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

Wait, are you saying that the cryptographic actors have different names in other languages/countries? The Wikipedia pages in languages whose scripts I can read seem to use "Alice and Bob" or a close approximation, but I would have loved looking through all the Anastasias and Bunjis.

The Greek ones are actually in Roman characters. Somehow I don't expect this to increase understanding...

I prefer Alisa over Alice, Alicja, Ailisi and Arisu by the way and Bobu over Bob and Baoba (although the latter is also nice).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”