1325: "Rejection"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic
Posts: 4713
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC
Location: Left coast of Canada

1325: "Rejection"

Postby poxic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:05 am UTC

Image

Title text: "Perhaps you need a crash course in taking hints. Here's your first lesson: We're not actually walking somewhere together; I'm trying to leave this conversation and you're following me."

What women really want is ice cream. I assume this is true because I am a woman and I wish I had some ice cream right now.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:08 am UTC

Clearly, women don't want to know what they want to not want what they know they don't know to want what they want to know. Duh.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10156
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 am UTC

Oh dear. Randall insulted the "friendzoners" again.

EVERYONE, BATTLESTATIONS! Be on the lookout for rehashed MRA talking points and trilbies!
Last edited by CorruptUser on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

JustDoug
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby JustDoug » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:14 am UTC

poxic wrote:What women really want is ice cream. I assume this is true because I am a woman and I wish I had some ice cream right now.


Yeah, but what flavor? You're probably one of those that outwardly goes on about low-fat vanilla being your favorite, but secretly buy rich calorie-bomb chocolate extravaganzas, thinking that you can burn off the extra 4,200 calories later with a brisk walk.

You face nothing but heartbreak. Why not settle down on the couch with a nice reduced fat yogurt and save yourself the pain?

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby keithl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 am UTC

poxic wrote:What women really want is ice cream. I assume this is true because I am a woman and I wish I had some ice cream right now.

Here you are!
Image
( I'm all out of zero-calorie dessicant packs, will strawberry cheesecake flavor do?)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 9990
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby addams » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:40 am UTC

poxic wrote:[url=http://xkcd.com/1325/

What women really want is ice cream. I assume this is true because I am a woman and I wish I had some ice cream right now.

Now, I want ice cream, too.
Look what you have done.

Let's blame the comic.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5547
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:45 am UTC

I'm going to go buy some ice-cream to quench the flames. And the Summer heat.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
BAReFOOt
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby BAReFOOt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:13 am UTC

Arguing with moderation in a thread is a pretty good way to get banned around here. But shit-slinging at moderators at the same time? That should be universally understood to end poorly for the shit-slinger.

Dear Readers: There is now extremely limited purpose in arguing with this poster.

- Az



————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

What kind of stupid ad hominem argument is that? Has Randall become a stereotypical know-nothing white knight pro-sexism nerd now?

It seems he never actually talked to women. Nor does he understand female psychology. Instead it seems he got his infos from sexist magazines that cater to insecure women.

I talked to and consulted women all my adult life. And if you ask them, especially young women, what they want, by far the most will first say things like “I don’t know”, something very vague, or something they read somewhere that they’re supposed to want. And men are not much better nowadays, just so you know. They just never think about it (because that’s not “spontaneous”… another stupid meme the magazines put into people’s heads) or just plain don’t care. (“Not giving a fuck” has become a meme too, even though it’s literally half the definition of stupidity.)

But what women have in addition, is that they are more empathic and more susceptible to peer pressure (see: slut shaming [mostly done by women]). This, among more sensible intentions, causes them to hide their true intentions. Since if they openly blurted out that they just want to bang and fall in love madly and everything, a billion men would descend upon them, to spam them with requests… And a billion women and many men would call them “slut” because they think they have to, because they think that’s the group consensus, and because of jealousy.

Thirdly, if you ask any experienced woman (30+), she will tell you over and over again of the old dilemma: Nice family men are boring. And interesting adventure men are unfaithful. Somehow those two are mutually exclusive.
And, this has been studied, it actually is mutually exclusive. The former is a low level of testosterone. The latter a high level. Obviously you can’t have both at the same time.
But, an this is my point: Women normally say they want the former, but always go with the latter, hoping they can somehow “change” him.
It’s only when they become so old that they have given up, or when they boyfriend becomes the former during the relationship out of natural causes, that they take the former. Which will slowly start at 30–35 years.

What exactly about any of that is supposed to be “bad”? Anyone in that situation who is empathic and can become pregnant would react that way. Hell, I react that way in those situations!

So yes; yes indeed; women say they want one thing, but really want (and go for) another thing. So what??

It’s only you, Randall, and those magazine writers’ sexist minds, where such a statement becomes “belittlement”, implying that such a behavior somehow makes women “inferior”. Instead of just part of what it means to be a woman. The sad part is that you don’t realize that and call other people sexist for not being sexist! YOU think if it doesn’t work like men work, it must be inferior. And you should be ashamed of yourselves!

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

JustDoug wrote:You're probably one of those that outwardly goes on about low-fat vanilla being your favorite, but secretly buy rich calorie-bomb chocolate extravaganzas, thinking that you can burn off the extra 4,200 calories later with a brisk walk. […] You face nothing but heartbreak. Why not settle down on the couch with a nice reduced fat yogurt and save yourself the pain?


Have you been living behind the moon? You know that low-fat variants are less healthy, and make you even fatter, right? Please tell me you don’t still think fat makes people fat!
Because then I got some surprises for you:
In short words: Sugar & starch cause inflammation and growth of wrong bacteria not only in your mouth (where you brush your teeth against it), but in your entire digestive system. And THAT causes you to become fat from fat… and from everything else!

And no, calories do not matter AT ALL. If you have a healthy flora and don’t eat those dense carbs, you simply stop getting hungry before you can get fat, and because of the slow burn compared to carbs it will just take longer to be digested. That’s all. I’m living proof of that.

JustDoug wrote:Yeah, but what flavor?


Always the one you know the least. Keeps life interesting. And hence by definition gives you a longer life in retrospect. :)

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

CorruptUser wrote:Oh dear. Randall insulted the "friendzoners" again. EVERYONE, BATTLESTATIONS! Be on the lookout for rehashed MRA talking points and trilbies!


I wish people like you, who have nothing to contribute but arrogant-while-ignorant asshattery, would have the intelligence to realize they have nothing to contribute but how little they know and how much of an asshole they are, and shut up.

No triple posting, there's a notification of all the people ninja'ing you and an edit button, so use them
-Angua
Last edited by BAReFOOt on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:07 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 904
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby da Doctah » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:47 am UTC

What women want is shoes. Lots and lots of shoes. Their own shoes and shoes for other people.

I have tested this time and time again, and the results always confirm the hypothesis.

User avatar
Editer
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Editer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:15 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Oh dear. Randall insulted the "friendzoners" again.

EVERYONE, BATTLESTATIONS! Be on the lookout for rehashed MRA talking points and trilbies!


1 hour 4 minutes. Those guys are slowing down.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

alun009
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:16 am UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby alun009 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 am UTC

Uh oh.

Randall has ruined the comic-book device of showing people walking together as appearing one in front of the other. Now I will always see people in this configuration as fleeing/following.

The meaning of http://xkcd.com/77/ is very different now.

User avatar
Kazza3
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:06 am UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Kazza3 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:18 am UTC

Somewhere, Randall is reading this thread and laughing to himself at another job well done.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Klear » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 am UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Oh dear. Randall insulted the "friendzoners" again. EVERYONE, BATTLESTATIONS! Be on the lookout for rehashed MRA talking points and trilbies!


I wish people like you, who have nothing to contribute but arrogant-while-ignorant asshattery, would have the intelligence to realize they have nothing to contribute but how little they know and how much of an asshole they are, and shut up.


Oh the irony.

ps.02
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby ps.02 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:30 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Oh dear. Randall insulted the "friendzoners" again.

At some point it became cliché to be a "friendzoner" (great term). I fear this comic is too late, though, as it has already become cliché to make fun of "friendzoners". Or perhaps I've just found a way to feel superior to both.

Kit.
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Kit. » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:37 am UTC

JustDoug wrote:
poxic wrote:What women really want is ice cream. I assume this is true because I am a woman and I wish I had some ice cream right now.


Yeah, but what flavor? You're probably one of those that outwardly goes on about low-fat vanilla being your favorite, but secretly buy rich calorie-bomb chocolate extravaganzas, thinking that you can burn off the extra 4,200 calories later with a brisk walk.

You face nothing but heartbreak. Why not settle down on the couch with a nice reduced fat yogurt and save yourself the pain?

Are you the guy on the left?

Aelfyre
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 4:22 pm UTC
Location: 3 decades west of the teenage wasteland
Contact:

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Aelfyre » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:43 am UTC

Just to play Devil's Advocate.. the first guy might not have been belittling their judgement or self-awareness.
I find it much more likely he was belittling their capacity for honesty. :D
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

User avatar
markfiend
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:59 am UTC
Location: UK (Leeds)

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby markfiend » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:50 am UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Oh dear. Randall insulted the "friendzoners" again. EVERYONE, BATTLESTATIONS! Be on the lookout for rehashed MRA talking points and trilbies!


I wish people like you, who have nothing to contribute but arrogant-while-ignorant asshattery, would have the intelligence to realize they have nothing to contribute but how little they know and how much of an asshole they are, and shut up.

Fetch me a new irony meter, this one has just broken.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Dontget
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:52 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Dontget » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:54 am UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:What kind of stupid ad hominem argument is that? Has Randall become a stereotypical know-nothing white knight pro-sexism nerd now?

It seems he never actually talked to women. Nor does he understand female psychology. Instead it seems he got his infos from sexist magazines that cater to insecure women.

I talked to and consulted women all my adult life. And if you ask them, especially young women, what they want, by far the most will first say things like “I don’t know”, something very vague, or something they read somewhere that they’re supposed to want. And men are not much better nowadays, just so you know. They just never think about it (because that’s not “spontaneous”… another stupid meme the magazines put into people’s heads) or just plain don’t care. (“Not giving a fuck” has become a meme too, even though it’s literally half the definition of stupidity.)

But what women have in addition, is that they are more empathic and more susceptible to peer pressure (see: slut shaming [mostly done by women]). This, among more sensible intentions, causes them to hide their true intentions. Since if they openly blurted out that they just want to bang and fall in love madly and everything, a billion men would descend upon them, to spam them with requests… And a billion women and many men would call them “slut” because they think they have to, because they think that’s the group consensus, and because of jealousy.

Thirdly, if you ask any experienced woman (30+), she will tell you over and over again of the old dilemma: Nice family men are boring. And interesting adventure men are unfaithful. Somehow those two are mutually exclusive.
And, this has been studied, it actually is mutually exclusive. The former is a low level of testosterone. The latter a high level. Obviously you can’t have both at the same time.
But, an this is my point: Women normally say they want the former, but always go with the latter, hoping they can somehow “change” him.
It’s only when they become so old that they have given up, or when they boyfriend becomes the former during the relationship out of natural causes, that they take the former. Which will slowly start at 30–35 years.

What exactly about any of that is supposed to be “bad”? Anyone in that situation who is empathic and can become pregnant would react that way. Hell, I react that way in those situations!

So yes; yes indeed; women say they want one thing, but really want (and go for) another thing. So what??

It’s only you, Randall, and those magazine writers’ sexist minds, where such a statement becomes “belittlement”, implying that such a behavior somehow makes women “inferior”. Instead of just part of what it means to be a woman. The sad part is that you don’t realize that and call other people sexist for not being sexist! YOU think if it doesn’t work like men work, it must be inferior. And you should be ashamed of yourselves!


Heheh. It's funny that you went through all the effort and typed all this up when you missed the point of the comic. He isn't saying anything about women. He's saying men who don't respect women's decision to not date them, and instead turn around and say there is some inherent flaw in the female psychology, are douchebags, and it probably contributes to their difficulty with women. It helps if you're aware that the responder, in this situation, is being completely sarcastic the entire time.

User avatar
blob
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby blob » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:59 am UTC

Women (and men) don't want guys (or girls) they've rejected. That's kind of tautological.

So how you respond to rejection may affect whether you remain/become friends, but it's unlikely to change the fact that you've already been rejected.
Avatar yoinked from Inverloch.

"Unless ... unless they kill us, then animate our corpses as dead zombies to fight for them. Then I suppose they've taken our lives, AND our freedom."
- Elan, OOTS 421.

KarenRei
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby KarenRei » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:16 am UTC

Let's keep it simple.

In almost any sentence where people say "Women (verb)..." or "Men (verb)..." and it's about something psychological (as opposed to, say, something involving reproductive organs or a statistical difference in strength / height or the like), 99% of the time it's equally accurate to simply say "People (verb)..." The popular perception of differences between genders (including the effects of both brain structure and hormones) is often vastly different from the statistical reality. Screw Mars and Venus; men and women are from Earth. Psychologically, we're statistically virtually identical in most measures. And in many cases where there are differences that even manage to meet statistical significance, what differences there are may well be artifacts of culture.

https://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=5382

Remember that your partner is an individual who has thoughts and feelings just like yours. They are not their gender. Remember that gay couples have the exact same sort of relationship problems as straight ones.

And if you still have trouble viewing the other gender as being of the same stock as you... men, look at your scrotum. See the line down the middle? That's where your labia fused before you were born. Women, look at your clitoris. That would have been your penis.

We're all made of the same stuff.

One closing graph:

Image

User avatar
blob
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby blob » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:30 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:Psychologically, we're statistically virtually identical in most measures.

Well, since most people are straight, we can say right off the bat that most men are attracted only to women, and most women are attracted only to men - so as far as the psychology of attraction goes, gender differences wouldn't be that surprising.

The OkCupid blog, for example, suggests that men find photos of women smiling at them most attractive, while women find photos of men looking away from the camera and not smiling most attractive.
Avatar yoinked from Inverloch.

"Unless ... unless they kill us, then animate our corpses as dead zombies to fight for them. Then I suppose they've taken our lives, AND our freedom."
- Elan, OOTS 421.

Alltat
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Alltat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:44 am UTC

Women do like nice guys, it's just that thinking of yourself as "nice" is not the same as actually being nice. If you're only kind to someone because of their gender, you're just as bad as the "assholes" and a lot less honest about it.

poxic wrote:What women really want is ice cream. I assume this is true because I am a woman and I wish I had some ice cream right now.

That's a cheat answer. Everyone wants ice cream. Some people are reluctant to accept the consequences of eating it, but they still want the ice cream.

Harry Voyager
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 am UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Harry Voyager » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:18 am UTC

Of course then there is the faction that calls a pox on both your houses, but in this case it's redundant, doubly.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2962
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:24 am UTC

Alltat wrote:Women do like nice guys, it's just that thinking of yourself as "nice" is not the same as actually being nice. If you're only kind to someone because of their gender, you're just as bad as the "assholes" and a lot less honest about it.

poxic wrote:What women really want is ice cream. I assume this is true because I am a woman and I wish I had some ice cream right now.

That's a cheat answer. Everyone wants ice cream. Some people are reluctant to accept the consequences of eating it, but they still want the ice cream.

Not so. I've never been a massive fan of ice cream. I mean, on a hot day I might have one, but I can take it or leave it. If ice cream were banned tomorrow, I wouldn't really be bothered.

As for the combination of jelly (=jello?) and ice cream, which was a staple of children's birthday parties and which other kids seemed to go crazy over, I never really got that at all. I mean, the texture combination is unpleasant, the tastes don't really go together, and the temperature differential between the two components tops off the whole negative experience.

For reference, I have a penis.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:32 am UTC

orthogon wrote:For reference, I have a penis.

No, you don't. You don't have anything: you are a bug in the forum software, the most obvious manifestation being this random series of characters that, by an astonishing coincidence, happens to resemble well-formed written English.

Everyone wants ice cream.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

quenlinlom
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:08 am UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby quenlinlom » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am UTC

The funny thing is how Randall felt the need at all to address the pick-up artist movement.

They are such an insignificant minority. Just ignore them and they'll vanish. That there's a need at all to write such a passive-aggressive comic against these buffoons shows quite some insecurities going around here. :wink:

Mutex
Posts: 1368
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Mutex » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:07 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:men, look at your scrotum. See the line down the middle?


Thanks for getting me into trouble at work.

KarenRei
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby KarenRei » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:24 am UTC

blob wrote:
KarenRei wrote:Psychologically, we're statistically virtually identical in most measures.

Well, since most people are straight, we can say right off the bat that most men are attracted only to women, and most women are attracted only to men


You do know the meaning of the word "most", right? Sexuality is one of those rare psychological measures that's not virtually identical between the sexes.

As for rating photos, you're free to conduct your own study to determine whether that's a consequence of sexuality, an inherent gender trait, or whether that's simply influenced by environmental/social factors of the participants of that website. For example, do the Masai express the same preference? What about the Aleut peoples? Tibetians? What people find attractive even varies over time within a *single* culture. In Europe, for example, most countries went through a phase where heavy women were seen as attractive in the rennaisance, skinny but curvy women attractive in the victorian era, skinny and non-curvy in the 20s, and on and on. We're just talking about European cultural changes. Do you find neck rings attractive?

Image

Because Kayan guys sure do!
Last edited by KarenRei on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:47 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Klear » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:30 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:
blob wrote:
KarenRei wrote:Psychologically, we're statistically virtually identical in most measures.

Well, since most people are straight, we can say right off the bat that most men are attracted only to women, and most women are attracted only to men


You do know the meaning of the word "most", right? Sexuality is one of those rare psychological measures that's not virtually identical between the sexes.


...and, of course, it depends on whether you chose to formulate it as "are attracted to men/women" or "are attracted to the opposite sex".

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 8999
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP
Contact:

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:33 am UTC

Something about shoes and ice cream?
Spoiler:
Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

JustDoug
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby JustDoug » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:50 am UTC

Kit. wrote:Are you the guy on the left?


Nah. On the right. He's got a strange sense of humor that doesxn't always translate to online posts well .

Mind you, I did live in that other guy's neghborhood in the long ago past, though.

Plutarch
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:29 am UTC
Location: London, UK

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Plutarch » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:51 am UTC

I have some sympathy for the first speaker, if he's young. There are plenty of young men (including me in the past) who simply have no idea how to find a girlfriend or lover, just because they lack experience of the world. So they end up being as nice as they can to the girl they like, and then become distressed when she disappears over the horizon with the bad guy on the motorbike. Which then leads to them saying stuff like 'Women say they want nice guys etc.' But it's much too harsh to then condemn that young man as someone who's 'belittling a woman's judgement and self-awareness.' He's just fed up because he can't find a girlfriend, and the only behaviour he can think of to rectify the situation, which is to be as friendly as he can, doesn't seem to be working.

I do understand the 'friend zone criticism,' that is to say, just because you've become really friendly with a woman doesn't mean she has any obligation to start dating you. That's obviously true, but it's not as if most young men who end up in that situation have cunningly planned it out in some sinister fashion beforehand. Quite the opposite - they're just blundering along being as nice as possible to the girl they like because they have no idea what else to do.

If I was a third character in the cartoon, I'd tell the smug second character they're not helping anyone with their sarcasm, and I'd try offering a sympathetic ear instead to the first guy, and maybe some helpful advice. For instance, how I solved all my relationship problems by retreating into alcohol and my Playstation, and have never looked back.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:23 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:If I was a third character in the cartoon, I'd tell the smug second character they're not helping anyone with their sarcasm

Women. They're helping women.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Estranged2
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Estranged2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

Is Karl Sagan a bitter reject?

Because it's in his books that I learned that female animals are attracted to status and power, while male animals go for quantity and youth. It's not a mystery why that is - females are the ones that get vulnerable during pregnancy, so they have to be more selective if they want to be protected and provided for. Both the male and the female heuristics can lead to errors; this doesn't have much to do with our "judgement and self-awareness" - we're all, male and female alike, puppets on a DNA string. And I don't mean we don't have our reasoning, but given the fact that women are the ones that carry the burden of pregnancy, we'd arrive at the same sexual priorities and the same rules of sexual attraction even if we had no instincts at all.
Nerd relationships go slightly differently and may obfuscate these principles, but they are still there doing their work.

And while we're here, we can also remember his strip "Negging" (I can't link it because it's considered spam, but it's strip # 1027).
It was very inaccurate - a real mockery of pickup culture that doesn't have much to do with what it is all about. Pickup art is not about being rude, inconsiderate and obnoxious. It's about building and displaying confidence in a very subtle way and creating emotional rapport that cannot be achieved (and is actually ruined) with a strictly rational, wordy approach. There is a very short essay, written by a woman, called "The Kino Process". A quick glance at it may enhance Randall Munroe's understanding of pickup art beyond the caricature of it that he has drawn. (This essay allowed me to start a relationship with my first girlfriend).

I wanted to send him a mail about this, but I suppose he's not to be bothered - his contact info states that if I have a comment about a strip I'd rather post it here, so I registered for the forum.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 2962
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
orthogon wrote:For reference, I have a penis.

No, you don't. You don't have anything: you are a bug in the forum software, the most obvious manifestation being this random series of characters that, by an astonishing coincidence, happens to resemble well-formed written English.

Everyone wants ice cream.

Damn, I failed the Turing test despite actually being human.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
markfiend
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:59 am UTC
Location: UK (Leeds)

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby markfiend » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

The stupid is strong in this thread.
BAReFOOt wrote:white knight

The very fact that you use this phrase betrays you, and is quite frankly insulting to those of us who don't buy into the PUA/MRA mythology.
BAReFOOt wrote:if you ask them, especially young women, what they want, by far the most will first say things like “I don’t know”

Maybe because she doesn't want to explain herself to this obnoxious arsehole who won't stop asking her what she wants out of life. And she's too polite to tell you to fuck off.
BAReFOOt wrote:they are more empathic and more susceptible to peer pressure

Bullshit broad-brush generalisation.
BAReFOOt wrote:Nice family men are boring. And interesting adventure men are unfaithful. Somehow those two are mutually exclusive.
And, this has been studied, it actually is mutually exclusive.

Link to the peer-reviewed papers in which it has been studied please. Otherwise what can be claimed without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
BAReFOOt wrote:Women normally say they want the former, but always go with the latter, hoping they can somehow “change” him.

"always". Uh-huh. You realise you're completely discounting the existence of women who aren't heterosexual here?
BAReFOOt wrote:can become pregnant

Oh. So she's only a woman if she can become pregnant. Nice. So if she's had the menopause, she's not a woman. Had chemotherapy rendering her sterile? Not a woman. Trans* women? Do I really need to ask?

You don't even see -- indeed you actively deny! -- that this attitude betrays a profound contempt for women... and you have the gall to accuse Randall of sexism.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

Invertin
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby Invertin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

My favorite part of the 'friendzone' reaction is the fact that they get angry at the girl for going off with the 'badboy' instead of angry at the badboy for inevitably breaking her heart, or sad for the girl who is in a relationship that isn't for her. By getting angry at the girl instead of the actual negative element according to your own definition of the event, you are proving that you didn't care about her in the first place, it was all about you getting a girlfriend.

User avatar
HokieNerd
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:18 pm UTC
Location: Dahlgren, VA

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby HokieNerd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:26 pm UTC

Dontget wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:What kind of stupid ad hominem argument is that? Has Randall become a stereotypical know-nothing white knight pro-sexism nerd now?

Edit: TLDQ


Heheh. It's funny that you went through all the effort and typed all this up when you missed the point of the comic. He isn't saying anything about women. He's saying men who don't respect women's decision to not date them, and instead turn around and say there is some inherent flaw in the female psychology, are douchebags, and it probably contributes to their difficulty with women. It helps if you're aware that the responder, in this situation, is being completely sarcastic the entire time.


Well, Randall really dropped the ball, then, in not using a SarcMark™.
Last edited by HokieNerd on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:What women want is shoes. Lots and lots of shoes. Their own shoes and shoes for other people.

I have tested this time and time again, and the results always confirm the hypothesis.


This.

Plus, It's not about the nail
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 1933
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1325: "Rejection"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:40 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Something about shoes and ice cream?
Spoiler:
Image


Somehow I just knew I could count on you , BG! Please not to send picture to my spousal unit: she's got enough shoes already. <-- by my count, of course. By her count, just getting started :oops:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests