1338: "Land Mammals"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mikeski

Re: 1338: "Land Mammals"

Postby Mikeski » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:You apparently meant, "There is no moral component to the fact that this thing always happens."

And, simultaneously, that the "how" is therefore a moot point.

gmalivuk wrote:Which would have been more clear if that's how you'd said it in the first place.

Yes, I could have been more clear.

In my defense, a whole thread with multiple people implying I'm a raging sociopath based off a one-sentence offhand comment in a post about something else (how many birds there are) is not something that drives me to heights of precision.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 am UTC

Coyoty wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Trickster wrote:
addams wrote:From this moment forward,
Chickens don't have Boobies.

Furry fandom (or in general internets) disagrees. :V
They may add mammalian secondary sexual characteristics to anthropomorphized versions of chickens (and everything else), but that is not the same as believing that actual chickens have mammaries.

At least they don't have any long-term mammaries.

Mammaries....Oh. I get it.
Memories.

Chickens don't have long term memories.
Mammaries.....

Now I want a chicken even more that I did before.
I want to name it Mammaries.

It will need chicken company.
Mammarie's little friend will be Pectoralis.

You can call her, 'Chicken Pecks' if you want.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

brian1470

Postby brian1470 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:07 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Wait, by mass, what's the ratio of cow to human?

Are the chickens also getting counted in cattle ? if not than we cant forget how much chicken weight its gonna be.. may b near to cattle.. just a guess

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 10, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

brian1470 wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Wait, by mass, what's the ratio of cow to human?

Are the chickens also getting counted in cattle ? if not than we cant forget how much chicken weight its gonna be.. may b near to cattle.. just a guess

Looks like someone else didn't read the title of the comic...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

McHell

Postby McHell » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:44 pm UTC

Most of this comic is still correct 4years later --- only the subtitle is probably wrong: "Bacteria outweigh us thousands to one".

There's just now a landmark study on biomass distribution (spoiler: It's mostly plants, and they're mostly on land; animals are mostly in the sea; and bacteria and archaea are mostly in the deep sea). They highlight as a last point in their abstract basically the same as this comic (minus the livestock):

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/05/15/1711842115

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 pm UTC

As we're necroing…

Mikeski wrote:
Klear wrote:...and if they are lucky, your grandchildren might live in the world where there are no wild animals at all!

That seems somehow unlikely, as any event that zeroes out the population of wild animals will almost certainly zero out the population of all life on the planet.

I actually read the above as "…and, if they are lucky, your grandchildren might live! (-> In a world where there are no wild animals at all.)"

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:43 pm UTC

McHell wrote:Most of this comic is still correct 4years later --- only the subtitle is probably wrong: "Bacteria outweigh us thousands to one".
It's not very wrong, though. Sure, 1200 isn't thousands, but it's on the same order.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:22 am UTC

McHell wrote:Most of this comic is still correct 4years later --- only the subtitle is probably wrong: "Bacteria outweigh us thousands to one".

There's just now a landmark study on biomass distribution (spoiler: It's mostly plants, and they're mostly on land; animals are mostly in the sea; and bacteria and archaea are mostly in the deep sea). They highlight as a last point in their abstract basically the same as this comic (minus the livestock):

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/05/15/1711842115

Arthropods are still clearly king animals. According to the appendix, just termites have more carbon than humans (0.07 Gt to 0.06 Gt). I wonder where the ants weigh in? My guess is greater than the termites because they’re more chitinous, and they’re highly dominant over a much larger area — both in areas where termites are common and uncommon.

It’s no shock that plants are the most massive — just think of how many people weigh the same as a single big tree. Now multiply that by the number of big trees out there. Now account for all the small trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants, crops, and other stuff out there.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:09 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:just think of how many people weigh the same as a single big tree

Don't be silly. Nobody weighs as much as a single big tree.
---
Speaking of crops, in 2017 the US alone produced about as much corn (as in, the dried, edible grain part) as the total weight of all living humans.
---

(he/him/his)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”