1346: "Career"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Istaro

1346: "Career"

Postby Istaro » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:29 am UTC

Title text: "They'd convince me to come out of retirement for one last job: biting into a giant lump of slightly soft wax a couple of times."

I don't know, I'd hire him. A fellow dryer-lint aficionado couldn't be all that bad.

San Fran Sam

Re: 1346: "Career"

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:39 am UTC

When I retire/quit (whichever they drive me to first), they won't be able to pay me enough to come back.

Oh, BTW.... first! :D

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:42 am UTC

The words "peeling lint from dryer traps" fried my brain. Took longer than usual to even imagine a meaning.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:30 am UTC

Klear wrote:The words "peeling lint from dryer traps" fried my brain. Took longer than usual to even imagine a meaning.

If you want a challenge, have you tried reading headlines in UK tabloid newspapers? A typical example would be "Tot death probe cops quiz dad".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:47 am UTC

orthogon wrote:"Tot death probe cops quiz dad".

Klear wrote:I take it Mod Madness has begun already?

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 am UTC

No, sadly that is typical of British tabloid headlines. Other notable examples are:

"Freddy Starr ate my hamster"
"Super Cali go ballistic Celtic are atrocious"
"Elton takes David up the aisle"
"From Russia with Gloves"

and notoriously

"Gordon Ramsay Sex Dwarf Eaten By Badger"
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 am UTC

The example orthogon gives suffers from the same problem as a lot of UK tabloid headlines where you're not sure which words are verbs and which are nouns until you've read the whole thing a couple of times. In that example, initially you might think the tot* death is probing cops, until you realise that the cops that probed the tot death are quizzing the dad.

Also some headlines don't have a verb at all, just a long list of nouns. I'll try and find an example of this.

* Tot means baby/toddler.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:30 am UTC

Mutex wrote:* Tot means baby/toddler.

Well, you see why we have so much trouble communicating with the British. Over here it's a potato snack sold at Sonic Drive-In, and mentioned prominently in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite".

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:40 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Mutex wrote:* Tot means baby/toddler.

Well, you see why we have so much trouble communicating with the British. Over here it's a potato snack sold at Sonic Drive-In, and mentioned prominently in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite".

Yeah... that's a word clash that could cause problems.

"I loooove eating tots"

krizzle_zizzle

Postby krizzle_zizzle » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am UTC

Mutex wrote:until you realise that the cops that probed the tot death are quizzing the dad.

I thought the probe had copped a quiz-dad.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:14 pm UTC

Brings back a hard-learned lesson from job interviews right out of college. I got called back for Round Two at an interesting place, and the interviewer asked me essentially that question. So I answered honestly, telling him that in a dream world I'd be the principal clarinetist for the BSO. (Buddy Wright held that chair at the time). Apparently the correct answer was along the lines of "I want nothing more than the chance to improve the design of your wonderful scanning electron microscopes," since I never heard from them again.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:53 pm UTC

Michael Frayn's wonderful novel "The Tin Men" included something called the Unitary Headline Language (or something like that…) which could generate random newspaper headlines, and then add to them daily as the news progressed. So if there was the threat of a strike then the various headlines might go something like this:

STRIKE THREAT
STRIKE THREAT BID
STRIKE THREAT BID HOPE
STRIKE THREAT BID HOPE MOVE
STRIKE THREAT BID HOPE MOVE SHOCK

and so on. Meaningless stuff, which everyone understands. The tabloids in a nutshell, perhaps! Of course this fitted well with the theme of the book, which was the automation of newspapers, on the basis that "news" (as in dwarves being eaten by badgers) was essentially cyclical. Frayn's book was from the 60s, and is still well worth a read.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:08 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:The example orthogon gives suffers from the same problem as a lot of UK tabloid headlines where you're not sure which words are verbs and which are nouns until you've read the whole thing a couple of times. In that example, initially you might think the tot* death is probing cops, until you realise that the cops that probed the tot death are quizzing the dad.

Yes, that's exactly it. The interesting thing is that the tabloids are aimed at, shall we say, not-so-sophisticated readers, which makes it surprising that the headlines are so difficult to read. I mean, the words are all short, but this is achieved partly by substituting uncommon synonyms for everyday words (e.g. question->quiz, enquiry->probe), which raises rather than lowers the reading age.

My guess is that the headlines are much easier to understand if you read them every day. CharlieBing's example from Michael Frayn demonstrates this: "Strike threat bid hope" is quite hard to understand, but if you read yesterday's paper you'd have been comfortable with idea that the "strike threat bid" had been made, and would only need to take on board the new information that there was hope surrounding its success.

Edit: I just noticed that complaining about the Madness is against the forum rules and therefore retract my complaint.

chenille

Postby chenille » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Well, you see why we have so much trouble communicating with the British. Over here it's a potato snack sold at Sonic Drive-In, and mentioned prominently in the movie "Napoleon Dynamite".

Those are more fully called tater tots, meaning potato babies. Meanwhile the US marines run a program called Toys for Tots, referring to children and not bite-sized potato pieces. So I don't think there's actually an America-Britain difference in meaning, though the word might be more or less familiar in different places.

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:32 pm UTC

chenille wrote:
da Doctah wrote: So I don't think there's actually an America-Britain difference in meaning, though the word might be more or fewer familiar in different places.

Is this place automatically changing the word 1ess into fewer? I wrote 1ess with a numeral because if I type it with a letter it will come out as fewer. Watch this: 1ess or less?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:01 pm UTC

CharlieBing wrote:
chenille wrote:
da Doctah wrote: So I don't think there's actually an America-Britain difference in meaning, though the word might be more or fewer familiar in different places.

Is this place automatically changing the word 1ess into fewer? I wrote 1ess with a numeral because if I type it with a letter it will come out as fewer. Watch this: 1ess or fewer?

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=108367

CharlieBing

Postby CharlieBing » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
CharlieBing wrote:
chenille wrote:

Is this place automatically changing the word 1ess into fewer? I wrote 1ess with a numeral because if I type it with a letter it will come out as fewer. Watch this: 1ess or fewer?

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=108367

Oops… thank you!

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 pm UTC

Film director.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

yellow103

Postby yellow103 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:04 pm UTC

Well, it would probably in an office like my old house, but with some rooms from my current house. And an old friend would be there doing something weird... to which I reply with an unrelated phrase. Towards the end everything starts flashing and the last thing I hear is a loud buzzing sound. Yep, job of my dreams.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:12 pm UTC

Something I can't completely decide on: by "dream job" does he mean the usual meaning, i.e. his ideal job, or does he mean the kind of job you might have in a dream, i.e. a bizarre nonsensical one? The lint one seemed like an example of the latter, until the OP admitted to a similar obsession. The light sabre one could be either: it's a bit weird but any job where you get to use light sabres is pretty cool.

If it's the latter meaning, one thing's for sure: you'd have to go to the office naked some days.

Edit: yellow103 semi-ninjaed me.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:30 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Something I can't completely decide on: by "dream job" does he mean the usual meaning, i.e. his ideal job, or does he mean the kind of job you might have in a dream, i.e. a bizarre nonsensical one?

[ïmg] thats_the_joke.jpg [/ïmg]

...note he says "how realistic to be" and not "how honest to be". He's using the while-sleeping definition of "dream" (along with the "ideal reality" one; I'm pretty sure "luxury retirement" fits into many dream jobs of both sorts), to answer an interviewer who's only thinking of the "ideal reality" one. Otherwise, assuming he's not insane, 5 minutes of lint-trap cleaning as a career is not a very good answer.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:06 pm UTC

I don't think my dreams tend to be quite that coherent. This is starting to make me doubt myself.
orthogon wrote:
Klear wrote:The words "peeling lint from dryer traps" fried my brain. Took longer than usual to even imagine a meaning.

If you want a challenge, have you tried reading headlines in UK tabloid newspapers? A typical example would be "Tot death probe cops quiz dad".

I didn't expect tabloids to be more difficult to read than academic papers. Then again, with English being my second language, my education might just be better suited for reading academic papers.
CharlieBing wrote:
chenille wrote:

Ah, so it has finally started.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:11 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
orthogon wrote:Something I can't completely decide on: by "dream job" does he mean the usual meaning, i.e. his ideal job, or does he mean the kind of job you might have in a dream, i.e. a bizarre nonsensical one?

...note he says "how realistic to be" and not "how honest to be". He's using the while-sleeping definition of "dream" (along with the "ideal reality" one; I'm pretty sure "luxury retirement" fits into many dream jobs of both sorts), to answer an interviewer who's only thinking of the "ideal reality" one. Otherwise, assuming he's not insane, 5 minutes of lint-trap cleaning as a career is not a very good answer.

But that's my point: he could have just made the whole description weird, but he went for an almost ambiguous mixture of the two. That's been making me wonder all day whether that is in fact the joke or not. I guess I'm saying I like the joke but think the execution could have been better. Yellow103's version for example would have been funnier.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:40 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:No, sadly that is typical of British tabloid headlines. Other notable examples are:

"From Россия with Gloves"

and notoriously

I can't figure out what most of these are about by looking at them, but I still like them. Perhaps not ideal for headlines, but it's certainly a source of entertainment.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:16 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

But that's my point: he could have just made the whole description weird, but he went for an almost ambiguous mixture of the two. That's been making me wonder all day whether that is in fact the joke or not. I guess I'm saying I like the joke but think the execution could have been better. Yellow103's version for example would have been funnier.

My interpretation (which I jumped to without hesitation because, as I alluded to, I’ve always found the Katamari Damacy–like feel of cleaning dryer lint traps to be very satisfying) was that Randall is consistently using the “ideal reality” definition of “dream”—it’s just that the things he thinks would be fun, or maybe I should say satisfying, don’t necessarily sound that way to everyone.

I mean come on, doesn't the lightsaber thing sound immensely gratifying? I'm not sure if the wax one would be my cup of tea, but I can see objectively how someone could find it similarly gratifying.

Blake

Postby Blake » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:28 am UTC

I read it dream as in Nocturnal Coma Hallucination. By my reading when he talks about realistic, he doesn't mean in terms of how realistic the job is, but in terms of how realistic it is for him to have a given dream.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:33 am UTC

Actually, that does sound like a pretty good job - assuming the wages are survivable...

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:39 am UTC

Cynical Idealist wrote:
Red Hal wrote:No, sadly that is typical of British tabloid headlines. Other notable examples are:

"From Россия with Gloves"

and notoriously

I can't figure out what most of these are about by looking at them, but I still like them. Perhaps not ideal for headlines, but it's certainly a source of entertainment.

I think that's the idea behind what makes them so memorable. You probably wouldn't look at the story with a second thought, but with the nonsensical headline you're enticed into it. The click-bait of the newspaper.

TG333

Postby TG333 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:03 am UTC

So british tabloids make a case for the complicated upper and lower case rules in German orthography. Who´d have thought.
I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 pm UTC

The most contrived headline I'm aware of isn't from a tabloid, British or otherwise. It's from
Variety, the Hollywood trade paper, which in the 1930's lead with:

'HICKS NIX STIX PIX' - ie 'rural people show little interest in movies set in the rural areas'

The NY tabloids have done their part

WALL STREET LAYS AN EGG (1929 Wall Street crash)
FORD TO NEW CITY: DROP DEAD (1970s city fiscal crisis)
HEADLESS BODY FOUND IN TOPLESS BAR (I wonder who got head)

ce

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:33 pm UTC

TG333 wrote:So british tabloids make a case for the complicated upper and lower case rules in German orthography. Who´d have thought.

I thought it was just: the first characters sentences, formal second person pronouns, names and nouns are capitalised. Is it more complicated than that? The only problem I found with this is that you cannot always see the distinction between regular nouns and proper nouns, as was evident on an occasion in high school when no one in my class could correctly translate a sentence on a German test due to it containing a mysterious noun that was not on our vocabulary lists.

Spoiler:
For those who didn't get it: it was some German name and our teacher somehow expected us to know that without being thought any German names

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:The most contrived headline I'm aware of isn't from a tabloid, British or otherwise. It's from

'HICKS NIX STIX PIX' - ie 'rural people show little interest in movies set in the rural areas'

ce

I heavily suggest you read theregister.co.uk if you're after even more outrageously contrived, overtly sensational pun-filled headlines. They really make an art-form out of it.

Random example quickly grabbed, by no means the most contrived: "Crap flap-app flap chap yaps: Yes, FLAPPY BIRD is comin' back"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/20 ... _comeback/

(Also found the similar "Rap for KitKat in crap app wrap trap flap: Android 4.4 is 'meant to work like that'" while looking for that one.)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

Does the lint thing go some way to explaining exactly why Randall's house is full of traps? Maybe he hoards them to indulge his obsession...

Dissident Love

Postby Dissident Love » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

I always thought I was wierd for the strange, fleeting pleasure I got from gripping and ripping the lint trap. I'm disappointed when I check it and there's not enough to peel.
addams wrote:The whole of the US Population is a Special Needs Group.
Yeah, but we're just ordinary Earthlings, not wierdos from another planet like he is.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Does the lint thing go some way to explaining exactly why Randall's house is full of traps? Maybe he hoards them to indulge his obsession...

Or maybe they're the key to getting hold of horses?

addams

Postby addams » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:38 am UTC

orthogon wrote:But that's my point: he could have just made the whole description weird, but he went for an almost ambiguous mixture of the two. That's been making me wonder all day whether that is in fact the joke or not. I guess I'm saying I like the joke but think the execution could have been better. Yellow103's version for example would have been funnier.

ok.
Or; The author and/or the stick figure man are slowly losing his mind.

First it the Lint Thing.
Then it's an adult man pressing a Light Saber against random people and things and turning it on.

A Life of Luxury?
Six weeks of that and the company will pay him handsomely to Go Away!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

StCredZero

Postby StCredZero » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:43 pm UTC

StCredZero

Postby StCredZero » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:44 pm UTC

Mutex wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:The most contrived headline I'm aware of isn't from a tabloid, British or otherwise. It's from

ce

I heavily suggest you read theregister.co.uk if you're after even more outrageously contrived, overtly sensational pun-filled headlines. They really make an art-form out of it.

Random example quickly grabbed, by no means the most contrived: "Crap flap-app flap chap yaps: Yes, FLAPPY BIRD is comin' back"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/20 ... _comeback/

(Also found the similar "Rap for KitKat in crap app wrap trap flap: Android 4.4 is 'meant to work like that'" while looking for that one.)

So they're just the 21st century Weekly World News?

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

In one of my dreams I was a cat designer designer.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:44 pm UTC

I would love to be a showrunner/writer/director for a TV show...
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”