1355: "Airplane Message"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dalcde

1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby dalcde » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:21 am UTC

Title text: "PHARAOH IRY-HOR, FROM THE 3100s BC, IS THE FIRST HUMAN WHOSE NAME WE KNOW."

Randall does not have to break into airplane hangars. He can simply share them here (and just did).

karhell

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby karhell » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:32 am UTC

dalcde wrote:Randall does not have to break into airplane hangars. He can simply share them here (and just did).

But where's the fun in that ? ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
ColletArrow, katakissa, iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:34 am UTC

A Cessna 182? Come now, Randall, you should know better. A fact needs a Citation.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 am UTC

My God I probably woke half the apartment with that laugh, well played with the citation joke.

Even though jets pulling banners is silly.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:07 am UTC

Snapple should do this with their "Real Facts" inside their bottle caps. That'd actually be worth two bucks a bottle.

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 am UTC

These are both interesting facts. I'd have enjoyed seeing them on banners pulled by planes.

About Adriamycin, Wikipedia says - Doxorubicin INN (trade name Adriamycin; liposome-encapsulated trade name Doxil), also known as hydroxydaunorubicin. - What does this mean? Is one of these words the 'proper' scientific name? Is there such a thing as a 'proper scientific name?' Does it matter?

brandbarth

Postby brandbarth » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 am UTC

Sorry to say that changing a banner for airplane advertising would be dangerous and almost impossible.

Every banner is thoroughly checked pre-flight. The airplane takes off first and picks up the banner in a (very) low pass. Nobody is allowed in the plane but the pilot, because it's more dangerous than flying without one. Therefore no pilot will fly with a banner changed by a third party. Nice idea, though.

However, I would just like to add a complaint about shows which have too many complaints in them as they get very tedious for the average viewer.

Wait - what? You need a hydroplane to get a citation? :shock:

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:53 am UTC

Cool fact (feel free to print up a suitable banner): The first person seen or heard in the Back to the Future series is Deborah Harmon as the reporter who announces the disappearance of the plutonium. In the sequel she sells Marty the Sports Almanac. She's no relation to Kelly Harmon who was once married to John DeLorean.

Nix_Seb

Postby Nix_Seb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 pm UTC

Airplane?

How have I lived 31 years on this planet and never heard Americans calling an AEROPLANE an airplane?!?! :lol:

This is the most hilarious Americanism I have ever heard. I love you guys... but really? What do you call that special vessel that operates under water, you know the one with the looking-pipe that sticks out the top :wink:
A man of five words

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:18 pm UTC

Watertube.

chris857

Postby chris857 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:20 pm UTC

Nix_Seb wrote:Airplane?

How have I lived 31 years on this planet and never heard Americans calling an AEROPLANE an airplane?!?! :lol:

This is the most hilarious Americanism I have ever heard. I love you guys... but really? What do you call that special vessel that operates under water, you know the one with the looking-pipe that sticks out the top :wink:

A submarine. It has a periscope. Should we call it something else?

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:22 pm UTC

Is this tone really neccessary? And what you would call a submarine, anyway? A "sousmarine", just to comply with the french?

jigawatt

Postby jigawatt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:27 pm UTC

We call it a "wateroplane", but only when we want to sound like pompous brits.

delefrati

Postby delefrati » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 pm UTC

I don't know why, but I was reading "homeopathy" instead of "chemotherapy"...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

Hey now, I get thet you're a bit embarrassed that you've gone over three decades with no persistent memory of hearing "airplane" the way the majority of English speakers say it (I don't believe that you've never heard it at all), but that's no reason to be all patronizing about it.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:56 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:These are both interesting facts. I'd have enjoyed seeing them on banners pulled by planes.

About Adriamycin, Wikipedia says - Doxorubicin INN (trade name Adriamycin; liposome-encapsulated trade name Doxil), also known as hydroxydaunorubicin. - What does this mean? Is one of these words the 'proper' scientific name? Is there such a thing as a 'proper scientific name?' Does it matter?

Doxorubicin is the International Nonproprietary Name, therefore it's the "proper" name according to the WHO. Hydroxydaunorubicin is a name based on the original compound which was discovered in the bacteria from that Italian castle, which was called daunorubicin because a tribe called the Dauni occupied the area in pre-roman times, and the drug was red (ruby).

The other possible "proper" name would be the IUPAC systematic name, which is the official chemical nomenclature. It's kind of unwieldy though, so one can see why most people use something shorter: (7S,9S)-7-[(2R,4S,5S,6S)-4-amino-5-hydroxy-6-methyloxan-2-yl]oxy-6,9,11-trihydroxy-9-(2-hydroxyacetyl)-4-methoxy-8,10-dihydro-7H-tetracene-5,12-dione

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 pm UTC

Considering Americans invented the Airplane, they can call it whatever the hell they want.

Regarding the alt/mouseover/title text: are we to assume that Randall meant verified existence human name?
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

a_cat

Postby a_cat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:09 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I get thet you're a bit embarrassed that you've gone over three decades with no persistent memory of hearing "airplane" the way the majority of English speakers say it (I don't believe that you've never heard it at all), but that's no reason to be all patronizing about it.

Australian here, I've certainly heard Americans say "airplane" but I don't recall ever hearing an Aussie do the same.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

Well, since Americans invented the airplane in America, I think we get to decide the proper name for it. (Even if the word "aeroplane" is apparently older.)

(EDIT: apparently ninja'd while I was researching the word. Aeroplane dates from 1873, airplane from 1907. Which doesn't make my argument any less right, though.)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:14 pm UTC

I like pleasure spiked with pain
And music is my aeroplane
It's my aeroplane

- Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

nsomos

Postby nsomos » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

The mouseover text claims some pharaoh is the first human whose name we know.

I might suggest that Adam and Eve may predate that and suggest the text be altered to be something like
"first human whose name we know outside of the Bible"

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:27 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Plutarch wrote:These are both interesting facts. I'd have enjoyed seeing them on banners pulled by planes.

Doxorubicin is the International Nonproprietary Name, therefore it's the "proper" name according to the WHO. Hydroxydaunorubicin is a name based on the original compound which was discovered in the bacteria from that Italian castle, which was called daunorubicin because a tribe called the Dauni occupied the area in pre-roman times, and the drug was red (ruby).

The other possible "proper" name would be the IUPAC systematic name, which is the official chemical nomenclature. It's kind of unwieldy though, so one can see why most people use something shorter: (7S,9S)-7-[(2R,4S,5S,6S)-4-amino-5-hydroxy-6-methyloxan-2-yl]oxy-6,9,11-trihydroxy-9-(2-hydroxyacetyl)-4-methoxy-8,10-dihydro-7H-tetracene-5,12-dione

Thanks for the answer and link, I was interested to learn what INN meant. The IUPAC name is certainly unwieldy, I've never seen anything like it.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

Eshru wrote:Even though jets pulling banners is silly.
It's for speed readers.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:48 pm UTC

a_cat wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:I get thet you're a bit embarrassed that you've gone over three decades with no persistent memory of hearing "airplane" the way the majority of English speakers say it (I don't believe that you've never heard it at all), but that's no reason to be all patronizing about it.
Australian here, I've certainly heard Americans say "airplane" but I don't recall ever hearing an Aussie do the same.
Well sure, Aussies probably spell it like the British. But that doesn't change the fact that most native English speakers say "airplane".

nsomos wrote:The mouseover text claims some pharaoh is the first human whose name we know.

I might suggest that Adam and Eve may predate that and suggest the text be altered to be something like
Or "first human who may have actually existed". I don't think even most religious people really believe there were literally people named "Adam" and "Eve" who lived before all other people.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:A Cessna 182? Come now, Randall, you should know better. A fact needs a Citation.

This reminds me of the first and only car I have ever owned (and only part-owned at that): a 1982(?) Chevvy Citation, which my friend and I bought to drive from San Jose to NYC as students back in 1995(?). In the space of three weeks it broke down six times; we spent roughly the same on repairs as we did on buying the wreck in the first place ($895), and we finally sold it at a youth hostel in Washington Heights for $95 to somebody who failed to register it with the DMV and proceeded to run up hundreds of dollars in parking fines in Florida. The biggest surprise to us was that he'd managed to make it to Florida in the damn thing.

"Citation" always seemed to me like a strange thing to call a car (or a plane); the original "Condor" sounds much better - does it sound odd to American ears too? At the time a couple of people told us it used to be used as a police car and that "citation" had something to do with the eponymous criminal procedure. The Wikipedia article makes no mention of that, though, and it sounds unlikely.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

KenM

Postby KenM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

Hardly a fact, but a reason this panel struck close to home: Years ago, when velociraptors rules the Earth, a friend and I were at the beach when some skywriters flew by with a commercial message to spoil everyone's afternoon attempt to avoid such quotidian matters. We decided that we'd like to hack into the computers they used to control the creation of these messages (several planes emitting synchronized pulses of smoke to form the letters). Our replacement message would be simple and emphatic - Surrender Dorothy!

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

nsomos wrote:The mouseover text claims some pharaoh is the first human whose name we know.

No.

Unless you subscribe to the theory that anything >6000-years-old was created in situ, in which case IRY-HOR never existed, and the artifact was created in the already-mummified state, just like the birds that were created already-fossilized.

brandbarth

Postby brandbarth » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:12 pm UTC

Item possunt fieri instrumenta volandi, ut homo sedeat in medio instrumenti revolvens aliquod ingeninum, per quod alae artificialiter compositiae aerem verberent, ad modum avis volantis.

But do go on, America invented the airoplane, shortly after HE invented the birds. We have abandoned the discussion to serve the trolls. Now go away or I should taunt you a second time.

And now three minutes of fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1oMhMwUbgc

speising

Postby speising » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

jpvlsmv wrote:

No.

Unless you subscribe to the theory that anything >6000-years-old was created in situ, in which case IRY-HOR never existed, and the artifact was created in the already-mummified state, just like the birds that were created already-fossilized.

why? 3100s BC is after the creation in 4004 BC.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

brandbarth wrote:Sorry to say that changing a banner for airplane advertising would be dangerous and almost impossible.

Every banner is thoroughly checked pre-flight. The airplane takes off first and picks up the banner in a (very) low pass. Nobody is allowed in the plane but the pilot, because it's more dangerous than flying without one. Therefore no pilot will fly with a banner changed by a third party. Nice idea, though.

I think it would be easier to hack into the computers that do the sky writing.

Nix_Seb

Postby Nix_Seb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:44 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:

Considering Americans invented the Airplane, they can call it whatever the hell they want.

Regarding the alt/mouseover/title text: are we to assume that Randall meant verified existence human name?

Americans invented the aeroplane? I wouldn't consider the Wright brothers the inventors of the aeroplane if that is who you are referring to.
A man of five words

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

This thread needs more pointless pedantry!

"Adam and Eve" would be correct, in the sense of "Y-chromosomal Adam" and "mitochondrial Eve". Just because they're names modern people gave them rather than names they used themselves doesn't mean those aren't their names. Both are thought to be at least 100,000 years old, possibly up to 200,000 (Eve) or 581,000 (Adam).

One could also argue for "Omo I" and "Omo II", as the oldest humans we have fossils of, rather than humans we don't know specifically. (About 185,000 years old).

Wikipedia says we once thought Mr. Iry-hor's name was "Ro", as that's the pronunciation of the "mouth" hieroglyph used in his name. The Japanese use the katakana syllabary to write foreign words. Some of the characters in katakana are the same as those in kanji. Kanji represent words/concepts in the manner of hieroglyphics. "Mouth" is one of those. The katakana character drawn the same way as the "mouth" kanji is pronounced... "Ro".
Last edited by Mikeski on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Nix_Seb

Postby Nix_Seb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

[*]
gmalivuk wrote:
a_cat wrote:
Well sure, Aussies probably spell it like the British. But that doesn't change the fact that most native English speakers say "airplane". [*]

I've not heard people say airplane, there is a very noticeable lack of a syllable. Certainly many common people in the UK pronounce it aer-a-plane, usually the same people who order sam-wiches and keep them in their ham-bags.

But hey, it's not worth an international incident. I'm all for diversity in language! I just wouldn't hire those people 8-)
Last edited by Nix_Seb on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A man of five words

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

In a similar vein...

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

Nix_Seb wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:

Americans invented the aeroplane? I wouldn't consider the Wright brothers the inventors of the aeroplane if that is who you are referring to.

Shots fired!!

Gustave Albin Whitehead, born Gustav Albin Weisskopf, (1 January 1874 – 10 October 1927) was an aviation pioneer who emigrated from Germany to the United States where he designed and built gliders, flying machines and engines between 1897 and 1915. Controversy surrounds published accounts and Whitehead's own claims that he flew a powered machine successfully several times in 1901 and 1902, predating the first flights by the Wright Brothers in 1903.

~~~

The Smithsonian Institution has repeatedly dismissed claims that Whitehead made powered flights before the Wrights. Whitehead supporters assert that the Smithsonian lost its objectivity on the issue when it signed a 1948 agreement with the estate of Orville Wright requiring the Institution to recognize the 1903 Wright Flyer as the first aircraft to make a manned, powered, controlled flight.

A sharp difference of opinion continues among aviation researchers and historians over Whitehead's work. Some believe that he was the first human to fly a powered heavier-than-air machine, while others believe none of his powered machines ever flew and that he contributed nothing to aviation.

In 2013 Jane's All The World's Aircraft recognized Whitehead as first to make a manned, powered, controlled flight. This statement reignited debate over who flew first. On June 26, 2013 the state of Connecticut enacted a law which specifies that "Powered Flight Day" honors the first powered flight by Gustave Whitehead, rather than the Wright Brothers.

Now: if any of you gentlemen needs me, I shall be in my Flugzeug.

dii

Postby dii » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:01 pm UTC

I'd love to see the spike in the pageview statistics of the wikipedia page on Adriamycin today...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:06 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:
Nix_Seb wrote:Americans invented the aeroplane? I wouldn't consider the Wright brothers the inventors of the aeroplane if that is who you are referring to.

Shots fired!!
Wikipedia wrote:Gustave Albin Whitehead, born Gustav Albin Weisskopf, (1 January 1874 – 10 October 1927) was an aviation pioneer who emigrated from Germany to the United States where he designed and built gliders, flying machines and engines between 1897 and 1915. Controversy surrounds published accounts and Whitehead's own claims that he flew a powered machine successfully several times in 1901 and 1902, predating the first flights by the Wright Brothers in 1903.

Not sure where this says an American didn't invent the airplane...

rubseb

Postby rubseb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:Considering Americans invented the Airplane, they can call it whatever the hell they want.

Well, when they invented it (that is, when the Wright brothers invented a way of controlling aircraft in the air) they would actually have used the word aeroplane, not airplane (in addition to calling it a "flying machine").

Nowadays, however, airplane is by far the more common term in US English, and has all but caught up with aeroplane even in British English. Besides, they both mean the exact same thing (aero being derived from the Greek word for air), so I'd say airplane is better (as air is shorter than aero and an English word in and of itself).

Either way, this:

sounds like a load of baloney to me, given this nifty chart. Unless you were illiterate until reading today's xkcd comic, you must have seen the word somewhere.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:
Nix_Seb wrote:Americans invented the aeroplane? I wouldn't consider the Wright brothers the inventors of the aeroplane if that is who you are referring to.

Shots fired!!
Wikipedia wrote:Gustave Albin Whitehead, born Gustav Albin Weisskopf, (1 January 1874 – 10 October 1927) was an aviation pioneer who emigrated from Germany to the United States where he designed and built gliders, flying machines and engines between 1897 and 1915. Controversy surrounds published accounts and Whitehead's own claims that he flew a powered machine successfully several times in 1901 and 1902, predating the first flights by the Wright Brothers in 1903.

Not sure where this says an American didn't invent the airplane...

Right there where it says a German guy might have built something that was flying before the Wright Brothers. Also, worth mentioning Alberto Santos-Dumont:

Wikipedia wrote:Mainstream aviation historians credit the Wright Brothers with the creation of the first successful heavier-than-air flying machine, able to take off under its own power and capable of sustained and controlled flight.

The Wrights used a launching rail for their 1903 flights and a launch catapult for their 1904 and 1905 machines, while the aircraft of Santos-Dumont and other Europeans had wheeled undercarriages. The Wright Brothers continued to use skids, which necessitated the use of a dolly running on a track. The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, founded in France in 1905 to verify aviation records, stated among its rules that an aircraft should be able to take off under its own power in order to qualify for a record. Supporters of Santos-Dumont maintain that this means the 14-bis was, technically, the first successful fixed-wing aircraft.
14-bis on an old postcard

The issue of which aircraft was first or more practical is a matter of debate between supporters of Santos-Dumont and the Wright brothers. The Wrights flew earlier with no official witness, and Santos-Dumont took off on wheels before the Wrights did, earning a variety of prizes and official records in France. Santos-Dumont's flights in the 14-bis contributed to the development of aviation by publicly demonstrating the feasibility of heavier-than-air flight, which encouraged other pioneers in Europe to begin or quicken the pace of their experiments.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:31 pm UTC

Regarding "oldest name", I was thinking more Gilgamesh and Enkidu than Adam and Steve. But as I posited, I'm guessing it refers to someone whom we have physical evidence of, not just scholarly conjecture.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”