1355: "Airplane Message"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mikeski
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Mikeski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:34 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Right there where it says a German guy might have built something that was flying before the Wright Brothers.

One can be an American without being born here. He built and flew his airplanes in America, after he became an American. (Heck, he even Americanized his name from Weisskopf to Whitehead. Pretty sure he was OK with being an American. My ethnically-German relatives still have German surnames.)

chris857
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby chris857 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm UTC

To go with old names, how about Abuwtiyuw, one of the earliest pets whose name is known.

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby keithl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:55 pm UTC

The Wright brothers are not credited with powered flight - they invented and meticulously studied (with a wind tunnel!) three axis control. Others had built powered flying machines before (Lilenthal, Langley, countless others), even managed to keep them in the air long enough to do some minor stunts, but the Wrights understood that true flight required agile control. And they got a patent for it, one of the few patents ever issued for a truly brilliant and unexpected idea (99% of all patents should never have been issued, including most of mine).

Since it is impossible to build a useful airplane without using the Wright's three axis control, and the Wrights demanded hefty royalties for the use of their patented invention, the fledgling aircraft industry and governments worldwide attempted to invalidate it, fabricating stories about prior art, tangling the Wrights in years of legal disputes. The Wrights left a hell of a documentation and artifact trail, the supposed prior inventors did not. Later generations keep stumbling across these frauds. Perhaps someone actually invented three axis control first, but where are their documents and notes? Where was their machine shop? Where are their wind tunnels, prototypes, gliders, launch rails, photographs? How did they pay for all that?

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 pm UTC

rubseb wrote:... Unless you were illiterate until reading today's xkcd comic, you must have seen the word somewhere.


... even if it was only in the title of the eponymous movie. To be honest, when I first saw Airplane!, I vaguely assumed that the spelling was part of the joke, I guess kind of like the way you might humorously refer to "the internets".

@Nix_Seb: In my accent (very mildly northern), aeroplane definitely has three syllables, and the middle syllable is definitely a schwa, I guess that makes me "common"... Are you saying you say "air-oh-plane"?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby keithl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

Aeroplane vs. Airplane: you say potato, and I say ... potato?

Regardless of spelling and pronunciation, Our British Cousins have done charming things with flying machines. Aviation engineer Nevil Shute is one of my favorite authors (read "Slide Rule" and "Trustee from the Toolroom"). The Battle of Britain. The terror bombing of the Nazis. Simply marvelous.

An RAF pilot (name forgotten) produced one of my favorite quotes: "When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavour to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible".

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:18 pm UTC

keithl wrote:An RAF pilot (name forgotten) produced one of my favorite quotes: "When a prang (crash) seems inevitable, endeavour to strike the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slow and gently as possible".

And I heard another one (or possibly the same one) on a TV programme once describing a manoeuvre that the Spitfire pilots had developed to outrun a Messerschmidt in a dive, involving somehow twisting as you came out of the dive to maintain positive g's because "one had to keep the gravy in the carburettor". You have to imagine it in the cut-glass RAF accent magnificently lampooned by Armstrong and Miller.

(Apparently WWII pilots didn't generally talk like that as they were mainly working class.)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Cal Engime
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 am UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Cal Engime » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

Nix_Seb wrote:Airplane?

How have I lived 31 years on this planet and never heard Americans calling an AEROPLANE an airplane?!?! :lol:

This is the most hilarious Americanism I have ever heard. I love you guys... but really? What do you call that special vessel that operates under water, you know the one with the looking-pipe that sticks out the top :wink:

Oh, an aeroplane! Pardon me, but I'm off to play the grand piano!

User avatar
cellocgw
Posts: 2043
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby cellocgw » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:40 pm UTC

nsomos wrote:The mouseover text claims some pharaoh is the first human whose name we know.

I might suggest that Adam and Eve may predate that and suggest the text be altered to be something like
"first human whose name we know outside of the Bible"


I'm sure this has already been responded to, but of "pharoah," "adam" , and "eve," two are fairy tales and one was a real human. Can you guess which?

I'm only being a pain in the butt here because I'm still pissed off at Brandeis U. caving to the religious nuttery and disinviting Ayaan Hirsi Ali to their graduation ceremony.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Cal Engime
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 am UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Cal Engime » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I'm only being a pain in the butt here because I'm still pissed off at Brandeis U. caving to the religious nuttery and disinviting Ayaan Hirsi Ali to their graduation ceremony.
Ali herself has said that "tolerance of intolerance is cowardice." She is intolerant of Islam. You wouldn't want Brandeis to be cowards, would you?

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm UTC

Cal Engime wrote:
cellocgw wrote:I'm only being a pain in the butt here because I'm still pissed off at Brandeis U. caving to the religious nuttery and disinviting Ayaan Hirsi Ali to their graduation ceremony.
Ali herself has said that "tolerance of intolerance is cowardice." She is intolerant of Islam. You wouldn't want Brandeis to be cowards, would you?


A good old fight-to-the-death situation. In her case, it's not an action but a reaction she calls for. The action is the subjugation of her gender and female genital mutilation in the name in the thing she's "intolerant" of.

Think on that. She's intolerant of female genital mutilation in the name of religious dogma. Why, that must make her just as intolerant of the people that are for it!

If something vocally wanted to dismember my genitals so I couldn't enjoy sex, in the name of something I thought was a fairy tale, you'd be damned right in thinking I'd be intolerant and not at all indifferent to the idea of it too (to paraphrase something Elie Wiesel once said).

Cal Engime
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 am UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Cal Engime » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:15 pm UTC

Her criticism of FGM is praiseworthy, but she doesn't limit her criticism to FGM. She's on the record saying that she thinks all of Islam has to be "crushed," and any Muslims who don't practise FGM just aren't real Muslims.

Reason: Should we acknowledge that organized religion has sometimes sparked precisely the kinds of emancipation movements that could lift Islam into modern times? Slavery in the United States ended in part because of opposition by prominent church members and the communities they galvanized. The Polish Catholic Church helped defeat the Jaruzelski puppet regime. Do you think Islam could bring about similar social and political changes?

Hirsi Ali: Only if Islam is defeated. Because right now, the political side of Islam, the power-hungry expansionist side of Islam, has become superior to the Sufis and the Ismailis and the peace-seeking Muslims.

Reason: Don’t you mean defeating radical Islam?

Hirsi Ali: No. Islam, period. Once it’s defeated, it can mutate into something peaceful. It’s very difficult to even talk about peace now. They’re not interested in peace.

Reason: We have to crush the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims under our boot? In concrete terms, what does that mean, “defeat Islam”?

Hirsi Ali: I think that we are at war with Islam. And there’s no middle ground in wars. Islam can be defeated in many ways. For starters, you stop the spread of the ideology itself; at present, there are native Westerners converting to Islam, and they’re the most fanatical sometimes. There is infiltration of Islam in the schools and universities of the West. You stop that. You stop the symbol burning and the effigy burning, and you look them in the eye and flex your muscles and you say, “This is a warning. We won’t accept this anymore.” There comes a moment when you crush your enemy.

Reason: Militarily?

Hirsi Ali: In all forms...


When a university gives an honorary degree, it suggests they endorse someone's career or body of work as a whole. Giving a degree to Ali would send the message that Brandeis is not just pro-human rights, but anti-Islam or anti-religious. They are perfectly right not to link themselves to someone whose rhetoric is so extreme.

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Cal Engime wrote:Her criticism of FGM is praiseworthy, but she doesn't limit her criticism to FGM. She's on the record saying that she thinks all of Islam has to be "crushed," and any Muslims who don't practise FGM just aren't real Muslims.

Reason: Should we acknowledge that organized religion has sometimes sparked precisely the kinds of emancipation movements that could lift Islam into modern times? Slavery in the United States ended in part because of opposition by prominent church members and the communities they galvanized. The Polish Catholic Church helped defeat the Jaruzelski puppet regime. Do you think Islam could bring about similar social and political changes?

Hirsi Ali: Only if Islam is defeated. Because right now, the political side of Islam, the power-hungry expansionist side of Islam, has become superior to the Sufis and the Ismailis and the peace-seeking Muslims.

Reason: Don’t you mean defeating radical Islam?

Hirsi Ali: No. Islam, period. Once it’s defeated, it can mutate into something peaceful. It’s very difficult to even talk about peace now. They’re not interested in peace.

Reason: We have to crush the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims under our boot? In concrete terms, what does that mean, “defeat Islam”?

Hirsi Ali: I think that we are at war with Islam. And there’s no middle ground in wars. Islam can be defeated in many ways. For starters, you stop the spread of the ideology itself; at present, there are native Westerners converting to Islam, and they’re the most fanatical sometimes. There is infiltration of Islam in the schools and universities of the West. You stop that. You stop the symbol burning and the effigy burning, and you look them in the eye and flex your muscles and you say, “This is a warning. We won’t accept this anymore.” There comes a moment when you crush your enemy.

Reason: Militarily?

Hirsi Ali: In all forms...


When a university gives an honorary degree, it suggests they endorse someone's career or body of work as a whole. Giving a degree to Ali would send the message that Brandeis is not just pro-human rights, but anti-Islam or anti-religious. They are perfectly right not to link themselves to someone whose rhetoric is so extreme.


Would the religion in question be open to stopping the mutilation of female genitalia willingly and immediately, an act that has no scientific benefit (and in fact is being done because religious doctrine opposes the natural order of things)?

If so, great.

If not, from a positivist viewpoint, they won't stop voluntarily so other avenues are being sought.

"A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

- Max Planck.


I have no dog in this particular fight, but it will be interesting to see how the larger conflict of wills plays out in the years to come.

User avatar
ilduri
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:59 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby ilduri » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:In a similar vein...
Spoiler:
Image

This is probably obvious, but...
Peter, Andrew and Philip are anglicizations of Greek names; Jesus, John, James and Matthew are anglicizations of hellenizations of Hebrew names; and Thomas is an anglicization of a hellenization of an Aramaic name. The origin of Simon is contested.
"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
she/her

User avatar
PinkShinyRose
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm UTC
Location: the Netherlands

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

Just out of curiosity: does inventing involve just the design, just the design and the creation, or design, creation and use of the craft? Does it need to actually work? If it doesn't need to be used but needs to work we don't really know who first invented the aeroplane/airplane, at least not until we test all earlier untested designs (an interesting, probably fun, though expensive and dangerous, project). On that note: I'll stop discussing the inventors of a gradually developing design with multiple contributors.

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:33 pm UTC

ilduri wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:In a similar vein...
Spoiler:
Image

This is probably obvious, but...
Peter, Andrew and Philip are anglicizations of Greek names; Jesus, John, James and Matthew are anglicizations of hellenizations of Hebrew names; and Thomas is an anglicization of a hellenization of an Aramaic name. The origin of Simon is contested.


Milton Bradley.

If someone would have told me how diverse the conversation would be on this comic's thread, I would have thought it would be people suggesting their own banner facts.

It goes to show, you never can tell.

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:40 pm UTC

ilduri wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:In a similar vein...

This is probably obvious, but...
Peter, Andrew and Philip are anglicizations of Greek names; Jesus, John, James and Matthew are anglicizations of hellenizations of Hebrew names; and Thomas is an anglicization of a hellenization of an Aramaic name. The origin of Simon is contested.


Yes. The twelve apostles were Jews (thus knowing Aramaic and probably some Hebrew, if they weren't fluent in it) who, if they wanted to deal with non-Jews at all, had to speak Greek as well. (I would hazard that, at minimum, the lesser-known Apostle named Simon, a Zealot, probably refused to speak Greek.) They almost certainly spoke Aramaic on a daily basis.

Of the 12 original Apostles, 10 had distinctly Jewish names:

3 named Judas (or Jude) (Greek Ιούδας, from Hebrew: יהודה‎, Yəhûḏāh), a common Jewish name in both Testaments, named after Judah, one of the 12 sons of Jacob (Israel). It was such a common name that the three Apostles given this name all had nicknames: one of these was nicknamed Thaddeus (Greek Θαδδαῖος); another was primarily called by the Aramaic nickname תאומא (Te'oma, "twin", which became the Greek name Θωμᾶς, Thomas); and the last was further identified by either the nickname Iscariot (Ισκάριωθ, of uncertain meaning) or as "son of Simon".
2 named James (= Jacob; Greek Ἰάκωβος, from Hebrew/Aramaic Yaʿqob = יַעֲקֹב), named after one of the founders of the Jewish people, Jacob (Israel)
2 named Simon (שמעון) (one of whom Jesus nicknamed כיפא, ~ Kepha or Cephas, "rock", which in Greek is Πέτρος ~ Petros --> Peter)
1 named Levi, (Hebrew: לֵּוִי‎), another popular name in the Bible, originally after another son of Jacob (Israel); he was also called Matthew (Hebrew מַתִּתְיָהוּ, Matityahu, in Greek Ματθαῖος)
1 named John (Greek Ἰωάννης, from Hebrew יוֹחָנָן, Yôḥanan), another Hebrew name found in the Old Testament, although more obscure
1 named Nathaniel (Hebrew נתנאל (Nataniel)), usually identified as being the same Apostle as Bartholomew (Βαρθολομαῖος), a Greek-origin name

Two Apostles, although Jewish, had names of Greek origin. Remember, the ruling authority, and thus the official national language, of the region which is now Israel had been Greek-speaking since Alexander the Great conquered the Persian-Egyptian Empire in 332 BC, over 300 years before any of these people had been born.
Andrew (Greek: Ἀνδρέας, Andreas)
Philip (Greek: Φίλιππος, Philippos)

SerMufasa wrote:[snip]Adam[/snip]... But as I posited, I'm guessing it refers to someone whom we have physical evidence of, not just scholarly conjecture.

Adam's apple. That is all.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

CSMastermind
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:23 am UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby CSMastermind » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

Anyone see the Ask Historians thread about the oldest name?

.....I guess in spite of being a member for more than I year I'm not allowed to post links?

Uh google it?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26724
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:18 pm UTC

You've been a member for a long time, but you can't post links in your first few posts, no matter when you joined.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
PolakoVoador
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm UTC
Location: Brazil

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:29 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:[snip]Adam[/snip]... But as I posited, I'm guessing it refers to someone whom we have physical evidence of, not just scholarly conjecture.

Adam's apple. That is all.


Not sure if serious.

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:34 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:[snip]Adam[/snip]... But as I posited, I'm guessing it refers to someone whom we have physical evidence of, not just scholarly conjecture.

Adam's apple. That is all.

Not sure if serious.

Tongue in cheek. Technically, it is physical evidence, coming to us by means of (medieval?) folk wisdom - just not strong evidence in the slightest...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

User avatar
Soup
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:47 pm UTC
Location: The Comfy Chair

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Soup » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

ilduri and mathmannix wrote:
Spoiler:
mathmannix wrote:
ilduri wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:In a similar vein...

This is probably obvious, but...
Peter, Andrew and Philip are anglicizations of Greek names; Jesus, John, James and Matthew are anglicizations of hellenizations of Hebrew names; and Thomas is an anglicization of a hellenization of an Aramaic name. The origin of Simon is contested.


Yes. The twelve apostles were Jews (thus knowing Aramaic and probably some Hebrew, if they weren't fluent in it) who, if they wanted to deal with non-Jews at all, had to speak Greek as well. (I would hazard that, at minimum, the lesser-known Apostle named Simon, a Zealot, probably refused to speak Greek.) They almost certainly spoke Aramaic on a daily basis.

Of the 12 original Apostles, 10 had distinctly Jewish names:

3 named Judas (or Jude) (Greek Ιούδας, from Hebrew: יהודה‎, Yəhûḏāh), a common Jewish name in both Testaments, named after Judah, one of the 12 sons of Jacob (Israel). It was such a common name that the three Apostles given this name all had nicknames: one of these was nicknamed Thaddeus (Greek Θαδδαῖος); another was primarily called by the Aramaic nickname תאומא (Te'oma, "twin", which became the Greek name Θωμᾶς, Thomas); and the last was further identified by either the nickname Iscariot (Ισκάριωθ, of uncertain meaning) or as "son of Simon".
2 named James (= Jacob; Greek Ἰάκωβος, from Hebrew/Aramaic Yaʿqob = יַעֲקֹב), named after one of the founders of the Jewish people, Jacob (Israel)
2 named Simon (שמעון) (one of whom Jesus nicknamed כיפא, ~ Kepha or Cephas, "rock", which in Greek is Πέτρος ~ Petros --> Peter)
1 named Levi, (Hebrew: לֵּוִי‎), another popular name in the Bible, originally after another son of Jacob (Israel); he was also called Matthew (Hebrew מַתִּתְיָהוּ, Matityahu, in Greek Ματθαῖος)
1 named John (Greek Ἰωάννης, from Hebrew יוֹחָנָן, Yôḥanan), another Hebrew name found in the Old Testament, although more obscure
1 named Nathaniel (Hebrew נתנאל (Nataniel)), usually identified as being the same Apostle as Bartholomew (Βαρθολομαῖος), a Greek-origin name

Two Apostles, although Jewish, had names of Greek origin. Remember, the ruling authority, and thus the official national language, of the region which is now Israel had been Greek-speaking since Alexander the Great conquered the Persian-Egyptian Empire in 332 BC, over 300 years before any of these people had been born.
Andrew (Greek: Ἀνδρέας, Andreas)
Philip (Greek: Φίλιππος, Philippos)

SerMufasa wrote:[snip]Adam[/snip]... But as I posited, I'm guessing it refers to someone whom we have physical evidence of, not just scholarly conjecture.

Adam's apple. That is all.


Both interesting explanations.

Also,
Spoiler:
Fucking quote spoiler gremlins
Waiting for it...

Go username5243, musthavebeenmykarma, Rakhal, thunk!!

blowfishhootie
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Technically, it is physical evidence


I'm still not sure if you're serious.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26724
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

It's physical, but it isn't evidence in any conventional meaning of the term.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:05 pm UTC

[genuflects, complete with sincere hand-twirling, to wisdom of magister gmalivuk]
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

User avatar
BlueNight
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:59 am UTC
Location: Albuquerque
Contact:

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby BlueNight » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It's physical, but it isn't evidence in any conventional meaning of the term.

It's evidence in exactly the same way that every living human (and dead human younger than ~2000 BC, and every such land mammal) is evidence of Noah's ark.

ie, if the account is historical, said objects wouldn't exist without Adam or the ark, respectively.

(The bullet hole in the corpse wouldn't exist as it is without the perp having fired the weapon. The blood spatter on the wall wouldn't exist without the knifing. The fingerprint on the light switch wouldn't exist without the finger's owner having placed it there. Forensic circumstantial evidence, supporting at least one theory of its provenance, but not disproving any.)
Last edited by BlueNight on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
---------
BlueNight

User avatar
Archgeek
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 6:00 am UTC
Location: Central US
Contact:

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Archgeek » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:21 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
PolakoVoador wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:[snip]Adam[/snip]... But as I posited, I'm guessing it refers to someone whom we have physical evidence of, not just scholarly conjecture.

Adam's apple. That is all.

Not sure if serious.

Tongue in cheek. Technically, it is physical evidence, coming to us by means of (medieval?) folk wisdom - just not strong evidence in the slightest...


Especially in comparison to possibility that it was just a mistranslation from hebrew to latin, and could've wound up just as easily being the latin equivalent of "dude lump".
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."


blowfishhootie
Posts: 486
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 pm UTC

There are two things that the Adam's apple is physical evidence of: that humans have an Adam's apple; and that, at some point in time, someone named it the Adam's apple in English (and probably some other languages?).

User avatar
Wnderer
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Wnderer » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

Adria Mycen is the first person whose name we know comes from the dirt of an Italian castle.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

DIP IS THE HAMPLY OF THE KEYBOARDS

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Cool fact (feel free to print up a suitable banner): The first person seen or heard in the Back to the Future series is Deborah Harmon as the reporter who announces the disappearance of the plutonium. In the sequel she sells Marty the Sports Almanac. She's no relation to Kelly Harmon who was once married to John DeLorean.
I didn't know that, awesome!
gmalivuk wrote:
nsomos wrote:The mouseover text claims some pharaoh is the first human whose name we know.

I might suggest that Adam and Eve may predate that and suggest the text be altered to be something like
"first human whose name we know outside of the Bible"
Or "first human who may have actually existed". I don't think even most religious people really believe there were literally people named "Adam" and "Eve" who lived before all other people.

You're likely right about that, but plenty still do, myself included.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26724
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 pm UTC

Be that as it may, Randall clearly doesn't ascribe to the same mythology, and I'm not sure why nsomos was apparently surprised by that.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mikeski
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Mikeski » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:If someone would have told me how diverse the conversation would be on this comic's thread, I would have thought it would be people suggesting their own banner facts.

It goes to show, you never can tell.

Consider it a team-effort wiki walk.

Jamaican Castle
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Jamaican Castle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:01 am UTC

brandbarth wrote:Sorry to say that changing a banner for airplane advertising would be dangerous and almost impossible.

Every banner is thoroughly checked pre-flight. The airplane takes off first and picks up the banner in a (very) low pass. Nobody is allowed in the plane but the pilot, because it's more dangerous than flying without one. Therefore no pilot will fly with a banner changed by a third party. Nice idea, though.


So clearly we need to bribe at least one member of the flight crew, and we'd have to examine the original banner beforehand to ensure ours was the same size and weight distribution.

I guess at that point it'd be easier and cheaper to just hire your own plane to carry it (especially since you wouldn't have a severely hacked-off original customer to deal with) but that's so much less fun!

Charles Ilorux
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:33 am UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Massage"

Postby Charles Ilorux » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:22 am UTC

nsomos wrote:I might suggest that Adam and Eve may predate that and suggest the text be altered to be something like
"first human whose name we know outside of the Bible"

You can suggest this, but according to neoliberal dogma, the words of liberals are never altered, and the words of the BIble change all the time. Besides this, Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Seth and a good number of others managed to get named before the 3100's BC (or BCE for the dogmatists on the forum) which is hardly fair. "Dr Smith's Bible Timeline" has a nice concise list, but of course since every discovery of recent archaeology is consider more important than what the people of the time thought worth preserving, we must discard his timeline, since those people were of course unthinking savages.

User avatar
brandbarth
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby brandbarth » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:48 am UTC

easier and cheaper to just hire your own plane to carry it


Or you call me, and I go and tell the people who know other people who are in airplane advertising, who tell yet other people to actually fly the planes. Go on, give me the money! 8-)

Or you just take the cheap way, take a pencil and ... wait ... hasn't that been done before? :shock:

aeroplane1.jpg

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:02 am UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:
brandbarth wrote:Sorry to say that changing a banner for airplane advertising would be dangerous and almost impossible.

Every banner is thoroughly checked pre-flight. The airplane takes off first and picks up the banner in a (very) low pass. Nobody is allowed in the plane but the pilot, because it's more dangerous than flying without one. Therefore no pilot will fly with a banner changed by a third party. Nice idea, though.


So clearly we need to bribe at least one member of the flight crew, and we'd have to examine the original banner beforehand to ensure ours was the same size and weight distribution.

I guess at that point it'd be easier and cheaper to just hire your own plane to carry it (especially since you wouldn't have a severely hacked-off original customer to deal with) but that's so much less fun!

OK, how about some kind of pressure/temperature/tension-sensitive invisible ink, like those "hilarious" mugs that change when you put hot liquid in them?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Klear » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:31 am UTC

This reminds me of the guy who got money through kickstarter to hire a plane to write "Help! How do you land this thing?" in the sky.

User avatar
Nix_Seb
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 am UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Nix_Seb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:35 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
rubseb wrote:... Unless you were illiterate until reading today's xkcd comic, you must have seen the word somewhere.


... even if it was only in the title of the eponymous movie. To be honest, when I first saw Airplane!, I vaguely assumed that the spelling was part of the joke, I guess kind of like the way you might humorously refer to "the internets".

@Nix_Seb: In my accent (very mildly northern), aeroplane definitely has three syllables, and the middle syllable is definitely a schwa, I guess that makes me "common"... Are you saying you say "air-oh-plane"?



Yes I say "air-oh-plane". I am from London so perhaps our accents mean the middle vowel sound different. I don't usually notice someone pronouncing it "air-a-plane" tbh, dropping a syllable just feels weird in the throat though.
A man of five words

User avatar
Nix_Seb
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 am UTC

Re: 1355: "Airplane Message"

Postby Nix_Seb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 am UTC

Cal Engime wrote:
Nix_Seb wrote:Airplane?

How have I lived 31 years on this planet and never heard Americans calling an AEROPLANE an airplane?!?! :lol:

This is the most hilarious Americanism I have ever heard. I love you guys... but really? What do you call that special vessel that operates under water, you know the one with the looking-pipe that sticks out the top :wink:

Oh, an aeroplane! Pardon me, but I'm off to play the grand piano!



:lol: you've no idea how close to the truth this is in my office!
A man of five words

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5574
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

NI NI NI NI NI VITSSÅGEN CUPCAKE

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:51 am UTC

I've always spelled it airplane but I guess i pronounce it more like erroplane.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mscha and 93 guests