1365: "Inflation"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr What

1365: "Inflation"

Postby Dr What » Wed May 07, 2014 4:53 am UTC

Title text: "Wait till they notice the faint reflection of Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny in the E-mode."

I wish I could spend more time on sports. But that basketball disappeared after 10-32 seconds. :(

thesven115

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby thesven115 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:18 am UTC

Is this a veiled 'lost in the universe' cast away reference? Or no, I guess that would be Wilson.

Silh

Postby Silh » Wed May 07, 2014 6:13 am UTC

What would you use to inflate a Spalding universe? Would my bicycle pump work?

(Edit: spelling)

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed May 07, 2014 6:20 am UTC

I've heard about corporate branding at an early age, but this is ridiculous.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 07, 2014 7:00 am UTC

Is this the hidden message in the CMB that the Ancients were trying to decipher with Destiny?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Wed May 07, 2014 7:27 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Is this the hidden message in the CMB that the Ancients were trying to decipher with Destiny?

Supposedly. Some of the characters accused Dr. Rush of making up the ship's mission in order to manipulate everyone. That said, it's a cool idea. What if something clearly non-natural was in the CMB? It's a crazy idea.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed May 07, 2014 8:05 am UTC

At first I was like: "Huh?"
Then I looked up Spalding and I was like: "Huh?"

I get the joke now (it's a hand-egg!), but this was one that was not meant for Europeans :)
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed May 07, 2014 8:09 am UTC

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but as far as I can tell, Spalding is more closely associated with basketballs1, whereas the image suggests something closer to a rugby ball (or, if you insist, an American football). Clearly the company may have shifted its emphasis in the intervening 6 billion years (especially during the vast period during which neither game had been invented). But, truly, each new discovery in Cosmology raises more questions than it answers.

1 or, according to some sites, "basketball balls".
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Brathay

Postby Brathay » Wed May 07, 2014 8:27 am UTC

So a small town in Lincolnshire is the centre of the universe? I knew there had to be something going for it.

Dr. Gamera

Postby Dr. Gamera » Wed May 07, 2014 9:11 am UTC

And all the world is football-shaped // It's just for me to kick in space.

nigenet
Location: Sunny Buxton, Derbyshire, UK (Where the water comes from)

Postby nigenet » Wed May 07, 2014 9:17 am UTC

Dr. Gamera wrote:And all the world is football-shaped // It's just for me to kick in space.

Different shaped football though ;-)
"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of him..."

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed May 07, 2014 9:19 am UTC

"I don't know, you naughty boy. I've never spalded."

lorb

Postby lorb » Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 am UTC

The figure calls them gravity waves but aren't those gravitational waves?
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed May 07, 2014 10:34 am UTC

lorb wrote:The figure calls them gravity waves but aren't those gravitational waves?

I love it that the Sun-Earth system radiates gravitational waves at a power of around 200W. It's on such a human scale, like a couple of lightbulbs or a good workout on the exercise bike. It's almost as pleasing as when Dr Kruszelnicki pointed out that the volumetric power density of the Sun is comparable to that of a compost heap.
[EDIT: Attributed the compost heap fact]

shokoshu

Postby shokoshu » Wed May 07, 2014 11:24 am UTC

Finally, I understand what Ambush Bug meant with "I usually get more life out of a Spalding." (needs citation)

paulmiranda

Postby paulmiranda » Wed May 07, 2014 12:01 pm UTC

The other side says "Wilson!"

But actually, no... it's just an elliptical projection of the whole thing (not an egg) :-)

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed May 07, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

Title text: "Wait till they notice the faint reflection of Michael Jordan and Bugs Bunny in the E-mode."

What's E-mode?

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed May 07, 2014 12:16 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I'm probably stating the obvious here, but as far as I can tell, Spalding is more closely associated with basketballs1, whereas the image suggests something closer to a rugby ball ...

Nah; the picture is obviously the Mollweide projection of the spherical sky, the usual way of presenting the CMB pictures to readers. So it's the inside of a basketball.

speising

Postby speising » Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 pm UTC

which means the text should be mirrored! curiouser and curiouser.

lorb

Postby lorb » Wed May 07, 2014 12:37 pm UTC

Mollweide projection of the outside of a basketball.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed May 07, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:At first I was like: "Huh?"
Then I looked up Spalding and I was like: "Huh?"

I get the joke now (it's a football, the real American kind, not a soccer ball!), but this was one that was not meant for Europeans :)

No, it's not a football, it's a basketball. Spalding makes footballs too:
Spoiler:

but this doesn't look like a football (most importantly, no laces.)

It is a basketball:
Spoiler:
Last edited by mathmannix on Wed May 07, 2014 12:59 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

arto7

Postby arto7 » Wed May 07, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

Dr. Gamera wrote:And all the world is football-shaped // It's just for me to kick in space.

But I thought all the world was biscuit shaped / there for me to feed my face.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed May 07, 2014 1:19 pm UTC

So, Einstein was right. God does not play dice with the world. But He does play basketball with the universe.

Geminia

Postby Geminia » Wed May 07, 2014 1:21 pm UTC

I suppose I will ask the obvious question, does anyone know what the wording on the image is? I can't seem to make it out...

Garnasha

Postby Garnasha » Wed May 07, 2014 1:22 pm UTC

speising wrote:which means the text should be mirrored! curiouser and curiouser.
... Did Randall read this and fix a previously non-mirrored Spalding before I checked the comic?

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

Garnasha wrote:
speising wrote:which means the text should be mirrored! curiouser and curiouser.
... Did Randall read this and fix a previously non-mirrored Spalding before I checked the comic?

Did anyone else get a Big Crunch / Big Bang 2 feeling this morning too?

(I don't know whether to go the "Hello Sweetie" route, or the "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable... There is another theory which states that this has already happened" route.)

speising

Postby speising » Wed May 07, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

Garnasha wrote:

oh! seems so.

martinxx

Postby martinxx » Wed May 07, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

E-mode polarization is the polarization in the CMB caused by temperature/density fluctuations in the primordial plasma, B-mode is the polarization caused by gravity waves, they have a different direction, I think E-mode is perpendicular or parallel to the temperature gradient of the CMB, B-mode is at a 45 degree angle.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 07, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I'm probably stating the obvious here, but as far as I can tell, Spalding is more closely associated with basketballs1, whereas the image suggests something closer to a rugby ball (or, if you insist, an American football). Clearly the company may have shifted its emphasis in the intervening 6 billion years (especially during the vast period during which neither game had been invented). But, truly, each new discovery in Cosmology raises more questions than it answers.

It's not a football. It's the interior of a basketball, albeit distorted due to it being something like a Mollweide projection.

Hence the Space Jam reference in the title text, and the backwards Spalding.

The Universe is a basketball. Pray we never be dunked.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Wed May 07, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The Universe is a basketball. Pray we never be dunked.

Oh, it's inevitable that this universe will be dunked. I just hope the funk is not faked when it happens.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 07, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

I hate to tell you this, but the funk? It's always fake. There hasn't been genuine funk since 1976.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

jameslovecraft

Postby jameslovecraft » Wed May 07, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

Come on and slam and welcome to... the early Universe?

Of course, it could just be that we live in that short story "The Nine Billion Names of God," but the true name of god is BUGS BUNNY.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed May 07, 2014 2:53 pm UTC

So, when the universe was the size of a basketball, it looked like a basketball? What did it look like when it was the size of a baseball? When it was the size of a marble, was it a cat's eye?

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed May 07, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

Garnasha wrote:

When I read this, I went back and double-checked - and it wasn't mirrored. So I refreshed it - and the "Spalding" came up mirrored!

So now the question might be: If that logo is written on the outside of the universe, who is it aimed at? Obviously not us humans, or any other species living inside the universe, since then it'd be written to look right from our viewpoint.

Maybe it was (re-)created to look right to the mice?

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:57 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:So, when the universe was the size of a basketball, it looked like a basketball? What did it look like when it was the size of a baseball? When it was the size of a marble, was it a cat's eye?

The external 'words' on the universe are just cooler regions.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed May 07, 2014 3:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
orthogon wrote:I'm probably stating the obvious here, but as far as I can tell, Spalding is more closely associated with basketballs1, whereas the image suggests something closer to a rugby ball (or, if you insist, an American football). Clearly the company may have shifted its emphasis in the intervening 6 billion years (especially during the vast period during which neither game had been invented). But, truly, each new discovery in Cosmology raises more questions than it answers.

It's not a football. It's the interior of a basketball, albeit distorted due to it being something like a Mollweide projection.

Hence the Space Jam reference in the title text, and the backwards Spalding.

The Universe is a basketball. Pray we never be dunked.

OK, OK I get it already. I was probably aware at some level that mapping the heavens in 2D was the same problem as projecting the Earth's surface onto 2D, but hadn't really properly thought through the consequences. The difference seems to be that the world map problem has a North-South axis that's qualitatively different from the East-West direction and that makes it kind of OK to treat them differently; and the inhospitable nature of the extreme latitudes makes it acceptable to push the worst of the distortion into those places. The universe doesn't have any special directions so you have to choose arbitrarily which parts you want to distort the most and where you're going to "cut it".

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

jc wrote:Maybe it was (re-)created to look right to the mice?

They're too busy recovering from the Brockian Ultra-Cricket Finals to care, surely!

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed May 07, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:
Garnasha wrote:

Did anyone else get a Big Crunch / Big Bang 2 feeling this morning too?

(I don't know whether to go the "Hello Sweetie" route, or the "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable... There is another theory which states that this has already happened" route.)

Last time that happened I found Patrick Duffy in my shower.

BunsenH

Postby BunsenH » Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 pm UTC

Hurray for Captain Spalding. Can I hear a "Hallelujah"?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu May 08, 2014 1:59 am UTC

orthogon wrote:OK, OK I get it already. I was probably aware at some level that mapping the heavens in 2D was the same problem as projecting the Earth's surface onto 2D, but hadn't really properly thought through the consequences. The difference seems to be that the world map problem has a North-South axis that's qualitatively different from the East-West direction and that makes it kind of OK to treat them differently; and the inhospitable nature of the extreme latitudes makes it acceptable to push the worst of the distortion into those places. The universe doesn't have any special directions so you have to choose arbitrarily which parts you want to distort the most and where you're going to "cut it".

Oh, my, no.

I have it on good authority that when stuff in space blows up, it usually sends out a sort of equatorial ring, and sometimes sends some straight-line bursts out the poles. Since the big bang was something in space blowing up (everything, including space itself), it should also have an identifiable equator/poles. Just like Randall's picture.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”