1365: "Inflation"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2227
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby Flumble » Thu May 08, 2014 8:09 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:I have it on good authority that when stuff in space blows up, it usually sends out a sort of equatorial ring, and sometimes sends some straight-line bursts out the poles. Since the big bang was something in space blowing up (everything, including space itself), it should also have an identifiable equator/poles. Just like Randall's picture.

Fun thing is that only a small part of the pictures depict the sci-fi style of an explosion in space.

User avatar
VectorZero
Posts: 471
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 am UTC
Location: Kensington

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby VectorZero » Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am UTC

Universe is Spalding. Please wait ...
Image

(There has been some language drift over the last few billion years.)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby orthogon » Thu May 08, 2014 10:05 am UTC

I think we're missing a possibility here. Perhaps Spalding knew about the CMB all along (thanks to funding a top secret research programme), and designed their iconic basketball and logo to match, thus creating the biggest advertising banner of all time (past and future). (A bit like those people who change their name to match their car licence plate.)

VectorZero wrote:Universe is Spalding. Please wait ...

(There has been some language drift over the last few billion years.)


Actually, spalding is defined here:

The Meaning of Liff wrote:Spalding (ptcpl v) The futile waving of the hand in front of the mouth when eating something much hotter than you were expecting.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
balthasar_s
Posts: 2378
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm UTC
Location: secret base on the Moon
Contact:

Re: "1365": Inflation

Postby balthasar_s » Thu May 08, 2014 11:49 am UTC

This comic reminds me of this: Fabulous Prizes by Dresden Codak.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

webdude
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 am UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby webdude » Thu May 08, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

jameslovecraft wrote:Come on and slam and welcome to... the early Universe?

Of course, it could just be that we live in that short story "The Nine Billion Names of God," but the true name of god is BUGS BUNNY.


Probably not. I just checked to be sure, and a bit more than 50% of the images I saw of Bugs Bunny were of him obviously favoring his left hand over his right hand. Michael Jordan is right-dominant, but surely knew how to shoot left-handed during his career. Contrast those facts with our right-handed universe. Maybe BB and MJ are gods in a parallel, ambidextrous universe, but not here in this 90% dexter-dom uni.

Mikeski wrote:Oh, my, no.

I have it on good authority that when stuff in space blows up, it usually sends out a sort of equatorial ring, and sometimes sends some straight-line bursts out the poles. Since the big bang was something in space blowing up (everything, including space itself), it should also have an identifiable equator/poles. Just like Randall's picture.


Okay, so how do you calculate the chances of the equatorial ring spinning clockwise rather than counter-clockwise for any given universe?

N_8_
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:32 pm UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby N_8_ » Thu May 08, 2014 2:54 pm UTC

For those of us too colorblind to see the word in the image without adjustment.
Attachments
inflation-CB-adjust.png

Tub
Posts: 465
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby Tub » Thu May 08, 2014 4:50 pm UTC

Ok, hold on. When the universe was "this big" (size of a basketball), there was no CMBR yet. The universe got larger than a basketball in the first split seconds, the CMBR wasn't emitted until ~380.000 years later. Scientific inaccuracies for the joke, or did I miss something?

User avatar
Arancaytar
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: 52.44°N, 13.55°E
Contact:

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby Arancaytar » Thu May 08, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

First thought when I noticed the lettering changed: Wait... is it April 1 again?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Image

exoren22
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:30 am UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby exoren22 » Thu May 08, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:At first I was like: "Huh?"
Then I looked up Spalding and I was like: "Huh?"

I get the joke now (it's a hand-egg!), but this was one that was not meant for Europeans :)


The lines and curves are definitely those of a basketball. It's just a projection that might be difficult to mentally manipulate back to the proper shape.

EDIT: ninja'd and in much greater detail. Scrolling is hard, sorry.

katkins
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby katkins » Thu May 08, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

Reminds me of James Thurber and his biology class.

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/201 ... es_11.html

User avatar
Brace
Posts: 1169
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 am UTC
Location: Denver, Co
Contact:

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby Brace » Thu May 08, 2014 11:02 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

rmsgrey
Posts: 3616
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 09, 2014 12:02 pm UTC

Tub wrote:Ok, hold on. When the universe was "this big" (size of a basketball), there was no CMBR yet. The universe got larger than a basketball in the first split seconds, the CMBR wasn't emitted until ~380.000 years later. Scientific inaccuracies for the joke, or did I miss something?


The initial gravity waves of the basketball-size universe got stretched and smoothed during inflation, but not erased - they showed up as variations in the density of the fireball universe several hundred thousand years later that the CMBR is a photograph of - and their residual effects are responsible for things like galaxy clusters existing today...

ethnicolor
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby ethnicolor » Sat May 10, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

[Googles...]

Ah - this must be a sports equipment reference?! I've never heard of Spalding before - but then I'm not a sports guy...

:roll:

Mikeski
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 am UTC
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby Mikeski » Sat May 10, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Mikeski wrote:I have it on good authority that when stuff in space blows up, it usually sends out a sort of equatorial ring, and sometimes sends some straight-line bursts out the poles. Since the big bang was something in space blowing up (everything, including space itself), it should also have an identifiable equator/poles. Just like Randall's picture.

Fun thing is that only a small part of the pictures depict the sci-fi style of an explosion in space.

I just assume those pictures were taken before the equatorial-ring part of the explosion happened.

webdude wrote:Okay, so how do you calculate the chances of the equatorial ring spinning clockwise rather than counter-clockwise for any given universe?

Calculate? Nah, choices like that are made by the god who wins the game of "horse" played with that particular basketballverse. You just ask them, no calculation required.

User avatar
Vnend
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby Vnend » Sat May 10, 2014 9:37 pm UTC

Geminia wrote:I suppose I will ask the obvious question, does anyone know what the wording on the image is? I can't seem to make it out...


Here you go, flipped and colors manipulated for easier visibility. Well, for me.

Image

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26726
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby gmalivuk » Sun May 11, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

webdude wrote:Okay, so how do you calculate the chances of the equatorial ring spinning clockwise rather than counter-clockwise for any given universe?
There's no difference. Clockwise from one pole is counterclockwise from the other.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

jameslovecraft
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:59 am UTC
Location: Neverwhere, AZ

Re: 1365: "Inflation"

Postby jameslovecraft » Tue May 13, 2014 1:25 pm UTC

webdude wrote:Probably not. I just checked to be sure, and a bit more than 50% of the images I saw of Bugs Bunny were of him obviously favoring his left hand over his right hand. Michael Jordan is right-dominant, but surely knew how to shoot left-handed during his career. Contrast those facts with our right-handed universe. Maybe BB and MJ are gods in a parallel, ambidextrous universe, but not here in this 90% dexter-dom uni.


Darn, you've figured us out! We lefties had quite the sinister plan to take over the world through our lord and savior, Bugs Bunny.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 97 guests