1372: "Smartwatches"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mtavs

1372: "Smartwatches"

Postby mtavs » Fri May 23, 2014 7:02 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1372/
Alt-Text: This is even better than my previous smartphone casemod: an old Western Electric Model 2500 desk phone handset complete with a frayed, torn-off cord dangling from it.

We could call it the iPhone DS
Last edited by mtavs on Fri May 23, 2014 7:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

alvinhochun

Re: 1372: Smartwatches

Postby alvinhochun » Fri May 23, 2014 7:05 am UTC

Just about to shout "wrong title format" but you edited it.

Also, I wish I have a DS with the spec of modern (2014) smartphone hardware and with Android Linux installed (and better with complete source code) and is able to play all NDS games, that would be really nice.
(Not interested in 3DS/2DS though, I can wait a few more years for that.)

But iPhone DS? Go away.

RAGBRAIvet

Re: 1372: "Smartwatches"

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri May 23, 2014 7:09 am UTC

Congratulations, Randall, you can expect a visit from Apple's Design Protection Police for giving away the secret of the iPhone7.

mtavs

Postby mtavs » Fri May 23, 2014 7:14 am UTC

alvinhochun wrote:But iPhone DS? Go away.

Haha well, it kind of fits within the naming scheme they already use, so why not? Apparently DS just stands for dual screen anyway...(just found that out)

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 am UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:Congratulations, Randall, you can expect a visit from Apple's Design Protection Police for giving away the secret of the iPhone7.

If the iPhone 7 is a flip phone, it better be MADE of gold.

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri May 23, 2014 7:37 am UTC

Yes, you could make a flip-phone, but will it shred?

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri May 23, 2014 7:43 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:
RAGBRAIvet wrote:Congratulations, Randall, you can expect a visit from Apple's Design Protection Police for giving away the secret of the iPhone7.

If the iPhone 7 is a flip phone, it better be MADE of gold.

They're probably just tired of all the broken screen complaints. What's wrong with flip phones? It's not like it will be more lacking in features than other iPhones.

Gauteamus

Postby Gauteamus » Fri May 23, 2014 9:26 am UTC

Can you play Donkey Kong on that one?

Dr What

Postby Dr What » Fri May 23, 2014 11:22 am UTC

Gauteamus wrote:Can you play Donkey Kong on that one?

I'm not sure about Donkey Kong, but I think you can definitely play Flappy iPhone on it. :idea:

thermopile

Postby thermopile » Fri May 23, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

Since smartwatches don't (inherently) have the ability to make phone calls, wouldn't this actually be the world's first flip-iPod-touch? The iFlipTouch?

Also, did anyone else cringe at the visual of the hacksaw going through the phone? Ugh, what a mess.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Fri May 23, 2014 12:42 pm UTC

I replaced the screen in my Nexus 5 yesterday. So I just was staring at its guts. There are several flexible cables that run through the center of the phone, the display, and the battery. With a different battery, and a couple of smart watches as displays, the Nexus 5 could be a functional flip phone.

Using a pair of smaller batteries instead of one big battery should be possible. It would involve some software changes, as the phone actively manages the battery. Fortunately, there is an open source OS available for the Nexus 5. The battery has a flexible circuit board with at least a temperature sensor on it, and possibly some of the charging electronics. I don't have the knowledge or tools to design at that scale. So if I were doing it, I'd have to move the battery into the bottom half of the flip phone. Making the bottom half thicker.

The RF characteristics might be substantially different when the phone is folded. The antennas are two of the cables.

We can't experiment with my phone. When I was putting it back together with the new screen, I didn't have the right kind of glue. I used super glue.

If I were making a flip phone, I would add a spring to the hinge. The spring would hold it open, or hold it closed, but not let it stay halfway open.

Spectrum

Postby Spectrum » Fri May 23, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

Clearly the critical question is: Who will be the first to build this (and have it work)???

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Fri May 23, 2014 1:13 pm UTC

I miss the size and protective qualities of my flip phone.

In 2010, when my LG VX8300 finally broke, I went to Verizon and asked what modern equivalent they had, because I didn't want to step up to a smartphone and data plan. The rep told me flat out, "get anoter VX8300 on eBay. Seriously. That's the best flip-phone we made, and we don't make anything close any more." And so, I did.

I finally stepped up to a smartphone in 2012, but not without much reluctance. I ended up with the reZound (because HTC kept dragging their feet on the Droid Incredible 4G), and I'll probably keep it until someone pays me to replace it with something else or it suffers catastrophic physical damage.

There have been one or two 4G flip phones released in recent years, but nothing really worth writing home about.

Also, Japan is still in love with their feature phones/flip phones

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri May 23, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

Just looking at that comic made me grow a stupid mustache, horn rimmed glasses, and a scarf.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri May 23, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

I feel like there should be some blood in this picture.
Maybe the person putting it together's blood, all those sharp edges would be hard to work around, but more so the blood of the poor Franken-device itself.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

canasten

Postby canasten » Fri May 23, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:In 2010, when my LG VX8300 finally broke, I went to Verizon and asked what modern equivalent they had, because I didn't want to step up to a smartphone and data plan. The rep told me flat out, "get anoter VX8300 on eBay. Seriously. That's the best flip-phone we made, and we don't make anything close any more." And so, I did.

Best (flip) phone ever. The rep was right, that phone was great. After years of taking beating after beating mine finally died and we burried it in the back yard with the pet cat.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri May 23, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

If you do this with an XKCD phone, uncheck the "makes agonizing screams when sawed in half" option from the sound menu.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri May 23, 2014 2:56 pm UTC

Actually something about the hinge has been bothering me all day. Now I realized what it is. He should use a two-way hinge as used on Japanese shōji screens:
Spoiler:

That would reduce the spacing between the two halves of the screen, making it only quite annoying to watch video on it, and would have the huge advantage that you could fold it either screens-inwards or screens-outwards. The latter configuration would be really good for some app I haven't thought of yet.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri May 23, 2014 3:36 pm UTC

This is beautiful.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri May 23, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:What's wrong with flip phones? It's not like it will be more lacking in features than other iPhones.
Ostensibly that the hinge is prone to failures. Though imho,it's because they're associated with an older period when screens were smaller and inputs were keypads.

People also seem to be terrified of phones with both slide out and screen keyboards. The physical keyboard might break, leaving you with the screen one; better to get just the screen one than to risk ending up with just the one screen.
orthogon wrote: screens-inwards or screens-outwards. The latter configuration would be really good for some app I haven't thought of yet.
Two player, one phone games/ apps.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:16 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri May 23, 2014 4:34 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:I miss the size and protective qualities of my flip phone.

In 2010, when my LG VX8300 finally broke, I went to Verizon and asked what modern equivalent they had, because I didn't want to step up to a smartphone and data plan. The rep told me flat out, "get anoter VX8300 on eBay.

I still have my LG VX8300, it still works and I use it. Had it for about 10 years. I went into a verzion recently to see if I could upgrade me (I've been a loyal customer for over 10 years, never asked for anything from them. And they basically told me that I have to pay full price, get on a new plan, etc. They wouldn't cut me any deal at all. 10 years as a loyal customer means nothing to them apparently.

So when this thing finally breaks, I'll be moving to a different company. Fuck Verizon.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

speising

Postby speising » Fri May 23, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

i'd think the smartwatch screens are not wide enough to fill the iphone case.

but i love the massive, no nonsense hinge! would have been even better with rivets.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri May 23, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
orthogon wrote: screens-inwards or screens-outwards. The latter configuration would be really good for some app I haven't thought of yet.
T[w]o player, one phone games/ apps.

Ah, yes. You could run the feeds from the two cameras to the two screens, and get the experience of FaceTimeing somebody even when circumstances dictate that you have to be in the same room as them.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Fri May 23, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

It would literally multi-task.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri May 23, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

So no snarky comments about how this is all smartwatches could ever be good for? Or do we all just figure that was the point he was making in the first place.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri May 23, 2014 7:16 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
squall_line wrote:I miss the size and protective qualities of my flip phone.

In 2010, when my LG VX8300 finally broke, I went to Verizon and asked what modern equivalent they had, because I didn't want to step up to a smartphone and data plan. The rep told me flat out, "get anoter VX8300 on eBay.

I still have my LG VX8300, it still works and I use it. Had it for about 10 years. I went into a verzion recently to see if I could upgrade me (I've been a loyal customer for over 10 years, never asked for anything from them. And they basically told me that I have to pay full price, get on a new plan, etc. They wouldn't cut me any deal at all. 10 years as a loyal customer means nothing to them apparently.

So when this thing finally breaks, I'll be moving to a different company. Fuck Verizon.

Just saying, maybe you should call Verizon customer service, or go to a genuine corporate-run Verizon store instead of someplace like WalMart, Costco, Radio Shack, or a "Premium Retailer" (a franchise retailer) like GoWireless.  Not knowing exactly which plan you are on now, you should still be able to upgrade to a similar flip-phone at a discounted price (99¢ for an LG VN150S, otherwise known as the Revere 2; other devices from other manufacturers may be higher); and you should be able to keep the same plan.  You may need to modify the plan if you're looking at a smartphone, especially if you're on an old Alltel plan; and you WILL NOT be able to get unlimited data on a new smartphone — Verizon hasn't offered that to new lines of smartphone service since July 2011 — but you will be able to get 2GB of data for $30/5GB for $50/10GB for $80.  If you require more than that then yes, you will have to move to a plan that is going to be more data-intensive (and as an added benefit gives you unlimited minutes and texting).

And for the record books, no one else — not even those liars at T-Mobile or ATT — offers truly unlimited *high-speed* data either.  Read the fine print — you must be on their network (if you're roaming, fuhgeddaboudit), and it will slow down after a certain level; or if you use too much (and they get to decide how much is too much) you will be dropped like a hot rock.  There's always a catch.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 23, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
To player, one phone games/ apps.

You sunk my battleship!

jameslovecraft

Postby jameslovecraft » Fri May 23, 2014 9:09 pm UTC

I cringed when he got to the saw bit. Then again, I'm ridiculously clumsy.

I had a LG Rumor (slide keyboard phone) for two years and it worked fine until I puked on it. Then I used a Rumor 2 and that was also fine until it went to my brother. He managed to break the screen and everything. I've dropped an iPhone in the toiler, broken the glass on another, and I shattered the screen on an iPod Classic (not the front glass layer. the inside screen layer)--I emit strange electromagnetic waves, methinks. But I've had a couple of LG phones over the years and if I turned on the not-broken ones, they'd probably still work. Same for the RAZRs, if dad hadn't lost them...
(Dad has a Blackberry for work. It still does fine though our giant golden retriever got his teeth in it.)

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Sat May 24, 2014 1:30 am UTC

squall_line wrote:In 2010, when my LG VX8300 finally broke, I went to Verizon and asked what modern equivalent they had, because I didn't want to step up to a smartphone and data plan. The rep told me flat out, "get anoter VX8300 on eBay. Seriously. That's the best flip-phone we made, and we don't make anything close any more." And so, I did.

My Samsung U550 lived six years, even on its original battery (with an uptime still measured in "days"). Then I accidentally ran it through the washing machine. :(

Got a Convoy 3 to replace it (its model number is U680, so basically the same line of phone). It's got slightly different software quirks, but is essentially the same phone with more internal memory and a better camera.

yellow103

Postby yellow103 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

orthogon

Ah, yes. You could run the feeds from the two cameras to the two screens, and get the experience of FaceTimeing somebody even when circumstances dictate that you have to be in the same room as them.

There are easier ways to do that.

I would seriously consider getting a smart phone if it folded. I would not hesitate if it had the same dimensions as the Gameboy Advance SP (imagine how durable it would be, not to mention enough space for a huge battery AND electronics).

olicool10

Postby olicool10 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

Also, I wish I have a DS with the spec of modern (2014) smartphone hardware and with Android Linux installed (and better with complete source code) and is able to play all NDS games, that would be really nice.

It exists, it's called the Pandora.

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Sun May 25, 2014 5:03 am UTC

mtavs wrote:Alt-Text: This is even better than my previous smartphone casemod: an old Western Electric Model 2500 desk phone handset complete with a frayed, torn-off cord dangling from it.

I seriously want to mod my phone to look like this, but I'm lazy and I'd have to fix my cracked screen first. Also, I don't think those receivers are actually big enough to fit a screen on.

FLHerne

Postby FLHerne » Sun May 25, 2014 10:22 pm UTC

olicool10 wrote:

It exists, it's called the Pandora.

No, that's 2010-12ish smartphone hardware - 1GHz single-core processor/512MB RAM/800x600 screen is not up to 2014 standards.

What he wants is a Pyra (from the same team*), but that's still in development. :(

*minus Craig, for obvious reasons

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon May 26, 2014 1:55 am UTC

canasten wrote:

Best (flip) phone ever. The rep was right, that phone was great. After years of taking beating after beating mine finally died and we burried it in the back yard with the pet cat.

I hope the cat was dead when you buried it with the phone.

filecore

Postby filecore » Mon May 26, 2014 11:15 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:The latter configuration would be really good for some app I haven't thought of yet.

Two player, one phone games/ apps.

This has already existed for some time. At least in a few games I've tried, where the bottom of the screen is one player and, rotated 180' on the "top" of the screen (from player 1's point of view) is the second player. One of them was some sort of mediaeval tower-defence thing.

Found a similar example:

Spoiler:

filecore

Postby filecore » Mon May 26, 2014 11:17 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:
canasten wrote:
squall_line wrote:In 2010, when my LG VX8300 finally broke, I went to Verizon and asked what modern equivalent they had, because I didn't want to step up to a smartphone and data plan. The rep told me flat out, "get another VX8300 on eBay. Seriously. That's the best flip-phone we made, and we don't make anything close any more." And so, I did.

Best (flip) phone ever. The rep was right, that phone was great. After years of taking beating after beating mine finally died and we buried it in the back yard with the pet cat.

I'd be more concerned about the negative environmental impact of burying your damaged electronics in the garden :(

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon May 26, 2014 2:18 pm UTC

yellow103 wrote:
orthogon wrote:

There are easier ways to do that.

:D ... but that doesn't give you the genuine Skype experience, complete with pixellation and frozen pictures. (Simulating audio break-ups is somewhat more difficult in the same-room scenario).

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon May 26, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

filecore wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:
canasten wrote:
squall_line wrote:In 2010, when my LG VX8300 finally broke, I went to Verizon and asked what modern equivalent they had, because I didn't want to step up to a smartphone and data plan. The rep told me flat out, "get another VX8300 on eBay. Seriously. That's the best flip-phone we made, and we don't make anything close any more." And so, I did.

Best (flip) phone ever. The rep was right, that phone was great. After years of taking beating after beating mine finally died and we buried it in the back yard with the pet cat.

I'd be more concerned about the negative environmental impact of burying your damaged electronics in the garden :(

I'm not really sure about the "more" part, but it's a concern.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed May 28, 2014 4:59 am UTC

Wait, how much do the materials in a phone leech into the environment?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed May 28, 2014 6:17 am UTC

Via water.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”