1386: "People are Stupid"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

nowhereman

1386: "People are Stupid"

Postby nowhereman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:10 am UTC

title="To everyone who responds to everything by saying they've 'lost their faith in humanity': Thanks--I'll let humanity know. I'm sure they'll be crushed."

I frequently have to inform my friends that I have more faith in humanity than they do.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein

Brian-M

Re: 1386: "People are Stupid"

Postby Brian-M » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:17 am UTC

Looks like you just beat me to it. Glad I double-checked the forum before clicking "submit" for a new thread.

I think it's more a case that individuals are (or can be) smart but people (collectively) are stupid. Get enough people together and mob mentality takes precedence over rational thought.

HES

Re: 1386: "Stupid People are Stupid"

Postby HES » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:23 am UTC

50% of the population are below average intelligence.

As Brian-M said, crowds are stupid. And people who do stupid actions - which probably prompted White Hat's comment in the first place - are stupid. I find Cueball's comment a bit dickish, to be honest. In my experience when someone says "people" they mean "those people".
He/Him/His Image

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 am UTC

"It's nice to be smart, but smarter to be nice." Like a sociopath.

marky1991

Postby marky1991 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:42 am UTC

The third panel does not follow. "People" obviously includes white hat, so cue ball's whole following spiel doesn't really make sense. "People are stupid" is not the same sentence as "Other people are stupid".

Titanium Dragon

Postby Titanium Dragon » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:11 am UTC

To be fair, this all depends on how you define "stupid". To be stupid is to lack intelligence, but to be lacking intelligence is not necessarily a relative thing; it can be seen as an absolute. Simply because we are unable to directly measure intelligence quantifiable does not mean that doing so is impossible or inconceivable, merely that we lack the tools to do so well. If you define stupidity based on some absolute criteron of intelligence, it is very much possible for anywhere from none to all of the population to be "stupid", depending on where you draw the line.

Indeed, most definitons of stupidity don't really refer to an average:

not intelligent : having or showing a lack of ability to learn and understand things

: not sensible or logical

: not able to think normally because you are drunk, tired, etc.

1a : slow of mind : obtuse
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>
3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>

Not a single definition in Meriam-Webster defines it relative to some sort of average; one can easily define the average person as stupid, if you believe that they are not sensible or logical, which isn't entirely unfair given some survey results.

helo darqness

Postby helo darqness » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 am UTC

I'm a bit put off by this one.

When I say, and I believe when most people say that others are stupid, they aren't referring to booksmarts or philosophical or ideological beliefs. Though many say it, I don't think this is one of those, "LOL PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION ARE STUPID" or "GOD THOSE LIBERALS ARE STUPID" or whatever the popular memetic criticism is, on say, Facebook.

I think when people say others are stupid, what they're really saying is selfish, ignorant, apathetic, cruel, and all around frustrating. I have a very hard time relating to people and as such people have a hard time relating to me, despite a sincere effort to maintain my sense of identity while acquiescing to their expectations.

Stupid in the sense most people say I think is more of a social expectation not one of intellectual means.

EDIT: TL;DR - PEOPLE ARE DISAPPOINTING
Last edited by helo darqness on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:36 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:27 am UTC

People are stupid, and people are on average of average intelligence. It's just I every time I interact with people it seems I have to revise, downward, my definition of just what "average intelligence" entails.

It takes a big hit every time I drive in traffic.

And a truly massive hit every time election returns are reported.

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:39 am UTC

What I think it is is, the world population is large enough that there are a pretty large number of very logically-thinking (not necessarily "smart") people, enough for them to regularly meet and talk to each other a lot, and this has the effect of inflating their expectations of humanity, because they come to expect them to be, to some extent, logical thinkers like themselves. When they come to see the meatpuppets and animals a few steps removed from apedom that the vast majority of humanity actually is, they come to be disappointed. It would be farcical if the logical thinkers didn't dominate our politics. (And I'm referring to all political persuasions here, which is why they aren't all necessarily "smart".)

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:59 am UTC

I think usually a declaration like "People are stupid" can be described as a straightforward extrapolation of the Dunning-Kruger effect. (See also: "People are narrow-minded" and the like.)

Nurien

Postby Nurien » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:23 am UTC

Depending on how intelligence is quantified, it's also possible for far more than 50% of the population to be below average intelligence.

Much the same way that 99.999% of the population has an above average number of arms.

Dogun

Postby Dogun » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:34 am UTC

Hey, so crazy thing.

People who are smart, and expect better from people - they're not being jerks.

They just wish people would do better, and most of them are actually really hurt by people doing stupid, counter-productive things and not learning despite your best efforts to share with them knowledge that you think will help them.

There is such a thing as elitism. But someone who knows something you do not and thinks it is really important to share it with you - more likely than not they're deeply troubled by the knowledge gap and are begging for your help. Far less likely, they're looking for you to acknowledge them as an intellectual god-savior.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:37 am UTC

I have a lot of faith in stupid people.

Heck, if stupid is your only problem, you're pretty well off. Nobody ever got in trouble for being stupid exclusively.[citation needed]

Unfortunately, humanity is run by some very intelligent people with some very big ideas.

Dogun wrote:People who are smart, and expect better from people - they're not being jerks.

Being stupid is the first step to learning!
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:55 am UTC

eh, I work in a gas station, so I really don't have much faith in people's intelligence. But also, IQ intelligence is different from actually knowing stuff (like were africa is... I know someone who, at 17 thought it was part of the US. (we are Canadian btw.). Or being able to read a simple diagram telling you how to insert your debit/credit card into a gas pump to prepay.

So stupid means ignorant fairly frequently in my book (though the type of ignorant depends on the situation).

theross

Postby theross » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:57 am UTC

1a : slow of mind : obtuse

My mind is fast compared to a slower mind, and slow compared to a faster mind.
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner

The intelligence demonstrated by an action depends on the alternative choices available.
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish

Same as above. Any given person is smarter than some people, and dumber than others.
2: dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>

This is less relative (most stimuli can be objectively measured), but it's not the definition of intelligence being discussed.
3: marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>

See (b) above.

In fact, all of the relevant definitions describe intelligence relative to some average value, and we have no way of knowing how this value was determined.

theross

Postby theross » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:59 am UTC

maydayp wrote:eh, I work in a gas station, so I really don't have much faith in people's intelligence.

Way to perfectly fit the stereotype provided for you.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:47 am UTC

maydayp wrote:intelligence is different from actually knowing stuff

That's true. Intelligence and knowledge aren't the same kind of unstupid. Although, an IQ test usually tests for both. For example there are often anagram puzzles in the form of "which country name can be spelled with the letters CEALIND, TARSILAUA, RASTIUA" and so on, which would require you to at the very least know the names of those countries, and also understand English to some degree, otherwise nilt flom choc bidur nar plup gwee ern, eh? Other parts test stuff like pattern recognition, which I don't think requires any knowledge to solve.

Besides, you don't have to be stupid to fail at a simple transaction like buying gas. Suffice that you pull into a gas station where the procedure is different from what you are used to, say, you're supposed to pump the gas first, then later insert your card. The machine might not give you a clear contextual error message if you insert your card first, or it might not respond at all, having been programmed to wait for gas to start pumping before looking for a card in the card slot.

Perhaps that is an exaggerated example. I'm sure gas station software is designed with a lot of redundancy for the sake of user-friendliness, and I'm sure there are people who legitimately can't figure out the process on their own, like you describe.

Here's another: A few years back, grocery stores around here (Norway) switched from old-fashioned cash registers (the kind that pops out a little drawer) to automatic cash registers. These consist of two machines, one behind the clerk that eats paper bills, and one in front of the counter that eats coins. So you hand your big bills to the clerk, then you feed your coins into the coin slot. The system has been like this for several years, but every time I pay cash for something, there's still a split second where I'm about to hand the clerk my coins out of habit, before remembering that they need to go in the machine. If I'm distracted, I might not even catch myself, and I'll be standing there trying to hand coins to the clerk, who gives me a blank stare and points at the machine.

AverageWriter

Postby AverageWriter » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:48 am UTC

I see it as a perceptual thing, myself.

If what we routinely see is people doing nothing but completely idiotic things, all the time, we are going to eventually come to the mindset that, yes, the general populace is composed of idiots.

We get up in the morning and get in our cars to go to work- what do we notice? Not the hundreds of law-abiding citizens just trying to get to their own jobs. The person that sticks out is the moron in the noisy car doing 80MPH in a 55 zone, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating and making life generally rougher for the rest of us.

During our day, at least if you're like me, there are numerous interactions we make with people, constantly. So what does our brain make us remember? The jerk who shoved you during your lunch break or the customer who thought it was funny to throw rubber band balls at your head during an important presentation.

We come home, and the main window into how we see the world- the television- features Hells Kitchen, where a bunch of lunatics who can't even cook rice get screamed at by a British psychopath. Or we can watch Honey Boo Boo, which features a well-paid family who appear to lack the intelligence required to put on pants. Or we can watch Dance Moms, which takes out the British man and replaces it with a gargantuan screaming beast woman. There are no shows that feature "regular folk", because "regular folk" don't consume entire tubs of mayonnaise in one sitting or slap the police. Regular people are, to TV producers, just boring.

So can you truly blame a typical individual for the assumption that idiots are filling up our planet?

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:02 am UTC

AverageWriter wrote:[Television]

So this is why you guys are so upset all the time! Grew up without that, so I had my brain spoilt in completely different ways.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:11 am UTC

unfortunately, randall is pretentious again.

DenverCoder9

Postby DenverCoder9 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 am UTC

Yeah, not sure I buy this one. I think that, "people are stupid" tends to mean, "people are not as smart as we would like them to be" or "people are not as smart as we think we are." Neither of these imply that the speaker thinks they are exempt from the statement. We would like people to only make rational, "smart" decisions--but everyone makes dumb, irrational decisions all the time. We collectively like to think we do dumb stuff way less often than we actually do. Thus, people are stupid, not in comparison to the speaker, but in comparison to a grander ideal of an intelligent human.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:42 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:Being stupid is the first step to learning!

"Being stupid is the first step to learning, but for most people, also the last one!" - There, FTFY.

Autolykos

Postby Autolykos » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:43 am UTC

Well, taken apart logically, the statement "People are stupid." only indicates that the speaker's expectations are out of sync with reality. But I think there's more to it than that. Most of the time people don't fail to live up to expectations of sufficient intelligence (i.e. not being stupid) because they actually lack the intellectual capacity - they just decide not to use it, resulting in unnecessary damage to everyone around them. And this *is* something you can point out, and something you can blame them for.

This is described in more detail in the Basic Laws of Human Stupidity [Cippola 1987]
(I may not post links here, so GIYF).

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:50 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:"Being stupid is the first step to learning, but for most people, also the last one!" - There, FTFY.

Yes, learning is a continuous process, very clever. :roll:

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:01 am UTC

Edwards:"People are smart. They can handle it."
Kay:"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Findel

Postby Findel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:13 am UTC

50% of the population are below average intelligence.

Errr, that's just not true. It's not how averages work.

If you have 10 people, 1 with an IQ of 130 and the rest all have IQs of 90. Then the average IQ is 94 and 90% of the people are below average.

Does anyone know what the actual percentage of people with below average IQs is?

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:31 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
maydayp wrote:intelligence is different from actually knowing stuff

That's true. Intelligence and knowledge aren't the same kind of unstupid. Although, an IQ test usually tests for both. For example there are often anagram puzzles in the form of "which country name can be spelled with the letters CEALIND, TARSILAUA, RASTIUA" and so on, which would require you to at the very least know the names of those countries, and also understand English to some degree, otherwise nilt flom choc bidur nar plup gwee ern, eh? Other parts test stuff like pattern recognition, which I don't think requires any knowledge to solve.

Besides, you don't have to be stupid to fail at a simple transaction like buying gas. Suffice that you pull into a gas station where the procedure is different from what you are used to, say, you're supposed to pump the gas first, then later insert your card. The machine might not give you a clear contextual error message if you insert your card first, or it might not respond at all, having been programmed to wait for gas to start pumping before looking for a card in the card slot.

Perhaps that is an exaggerated example. I'm sure gas station software is designed with a lot of redundancy for the sake of user-friendliness, and I'm sure there are people who legitimately can't figure out the process on their own, like you describe.

Here's another: A few years back, grocery stores around here (Norway) switched from old-fashioned cash registers (the kind that pops out a little drawer) to automatic cash registers. These consist of two machines, one behind the clerk that eats paper bills, and one in front of the counter that eats coins. So you hand your big bills to the clerk, then you feed your coins into the coin slot. The system has been like this for several years, but every time I pay cash for something, there's still a split second where I'm about to hand the clerk my coins out of habit, before remembering that they need to go in the machine. If I'm distracted, I might not even catch myself, and I'll be standing there trying to hand coins to the clerk, who gives me a blank stare and points at the machine.
you know, I have no problem with the people who didn't understand how it worked (except for those from my province, who some how don't know it's against the law for us to just turn on the pump). My only issue was with the people who insisted that they know the pumps better then me, or insisted that the picture of the debit card sliding into the machine meant you put it in the magnetic strip facing your right side (when it was clear it was supposed to be strip on your left side).

Luckily our pumps were recently upgraded, so it's not an issue anymore. Still get the people who think prepaid is stupid though (but when you don't have mandatory prepay people die, or pay a lot of money out of their pocket to keep their jobs when people gas and go. Which is why BC has that law)

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:38 am UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:That's true. Intelligence and knowledge aren't the same kind of unstupid. Although, an IQ test usually tests for both. For example there are often anagram puzzles in the form of "which country name can be spelled with the letters CEALIND, TARSILAUA, RASTIUA" and so on, which would require you to at the very least know the names of those countries, and also understand English to some degree, otherwise nilt flom choc bidur nar plup gwee ern, eh? Other parts test stuff like pattern recognition, which I don't think requires any knowledge to solve.

TBH, that idea of having to split your cash between the cashier and the machine sounds pretty stupid to me.

But I think we've all had moments like this. There's a new car park near my work which I've started using. When you arrive at the entry barrier a little screen on the console says "press button for ticket". So I pressed the big button. I was surprise to hear a phone line ringing, and shortly heard a "Can I help you?" from the machine. Just at that moment I realised that it meant the other button incorporated into the ticket slot. So I said "Sorry I pressed the wrong button" and did it right.

The next day there were big yellow labels under the buttons. "Press for Ticket" and "Press for Assistance".

maydayp wrote:you know, I have no problem with the people who didn't understand how it worked (except for those from my province, who some how don't know it's against the law for us to just turn on the pump). My only issue was with the people who insisted that they know the pumps better then me, or insisted that the picture of the debit card sliding into the machine meant you put it in the magnetic strip facing your right side (when it was clear it was supposed to be strip on your left side).

Luckily our pumps were recently upgraded, so it's not an issue anymore. Still get the people who think prepaid is stupid though (but when you don't have mandatory prepay people die, or pay a lot of money out of their pocket to keep their jobs when people gas and go. Which is why BC has that law)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but people die? From not having to prepay for their fuel?

Given that I've never been to a petrol station where I didn't pump the fuel in and then head into the shop to pay, I'm very confused. Actually I lie, when I was little, we still had pump attendants who did it for you.
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

Kazan

Postby Kazan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:41 am UTC

I can prove that people are stupid.

Women need to have at least 2 kids on average that manage to reproduce. Otherwise the population shrinks and we eventually die out, either in a slow group-suicide where the country simply fades into a pale shadow of what it was, or through war with more numerous enemies. A sub-replacement fertility rate preceded the fall of Rome, Sparta, countless other cases throughout history. There is no known case where this trend was reversed. And our technology is accelerating the rate of the decline.

Right now the entire western world, with the exception of France (where a third of the population consists of immigrants) are below replacement level, and many have been for thirty years.

This would be bad enough on its own, but in addition we have an economic system where the state takes from those who work and give to those who do not work. With a decreasing number of workers and an increasing number of non-workers, this means higher tax burdens on everyone and smaller handouts to each individual as well as worse public services (like, say, hospitals).

This would be a disaster on its own, but in addition to this we also have massive and increasing levels of immigration. This is most obvious in europe where our cultures are more than a handful of generations old, but it happens in the states as well. The form is just a little different.

Together what this all means is that white western countries are in the process of committing suicide. Economically, racially and culturally. So yes, people are stupid. As in the collective population in our countries. Things like fair and but my feels don't enter into it at all, it's just simple math and elementary cause and effect.

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:54 am UTC

I've read the March of the Morons. Most people really are stupid.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:00 am UTC

PayasYouDraw wrote:
maydayp wrote:you know, I have no problem with the people who didn't understand how it worked (except for those from my province, who some how don't know it's against the law for us to just turn on the pump). My only issue was with the people who insisted that they know the pumps better then me, or insisted that the picture of the debit card sliding into the machine meant you put it in the magnetic strip facing your right side (when it was clear it was supposed to be strip on your left side).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but people die? From not having to prepay for their fuel?

Given that I've never been to a petrol station where I didn't pump the fuel in and then head into the shop to pay, I'm very confused. Actually I lie, when I was little, we still had pump attendants who did it for you.

There has been more then one cashier who has died when trying to prevent people from stealing gas. And even more people lost/lose a lot of money from being forced to cover the cost of gas and goes (because if they didn't they'd lose their job). (this still happens at restaurants. Even though it's illegal)

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:15 am UTC

maydayp wrote:
There has been more then one cashier who has died when trying to prevent people from stealing gas. And even more people lost/lose a lot of money from being forced to cover the cost of gas and goes (because if they didn't they'd lose their job). (this still happens at restaurants. Even though it's illegal)

I assume that's from being run over by trying to stop the vehicle from leaving, though if it's from being killed by the thief in a hold up situation that's pretty scary.

Also, I'm not sure about the law here, but I don't think the cashier is necessarily forced to cover the cost of stolen fuel. The thief's number plate can be recorded and the theft reported after all.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:23 am UTC

yeah, a big conspicuous camera pointed at the number plates should deter gas theft, shouldn't it?

StapleHorseOctopus

Postby StapleHorseOctopus » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:33 am UTC

Dogun wrote:Hey, so crazy thing.

People who are smart, and expect better from people - they're not being jerks.

They just wish people would do better, and most of them are actually really hurt by people doing stupid, counter-productive things and not learning despite your best efforts to share with them knowledge that you think will help them.

There is such a thing as elitism. But someone who knows something you do not and thinks it is really important to share it with you - more likely than not they're deeply troubled by the knowledge gap and are begging for your help. Far less likely, they're looking for you to acknowledge them as an intellectual god-savior.

This.

People who excel at things want to see others do as well as themselves; they do not want to put others down. Granted, sometimes that fails because the truly excellent people may not be good at social things or the target may have an inferiority complex.

Although it generally is quite simple to recognise the truly stupid (and usually arrogant) people, because they will insist on being right despite being provably wrong, say that they're superior because "I have this degree and you don't" (some PhDs do this, and it's really irritating), or insist on doing things their way even if you can predict that the suggested method has severe methodological failings or it counts on things like "I had a personal row with X and that means they suck at everything and need to be excluded".

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:47 am UTC

speising wrote:yeah, a big conspicuous camera pointed at the number plates should deter gas theft, shouldn't it?

I was just assuming the cashier would have working eyes.

Gumbril

Postby Gumbril » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:50 am UTC

Kazan wrote:
Together what this all means is that white western countries are in the process of committing suicide. Economically, racially and culturally. So yes, people are stupid.

Suicide isn't necessarily stupid. Maybe we have reached the pinnacle of Socratic wisdom. Personally I would have preferred going out in global thermonuclear war, but life is a series of disappointments.

Eternal Density

WITH BAOBABBIES LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS PRICKLYMOLPS?

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:58 am UTC

speising wrote:unfortunately, randall is pretentious again.

I would like to introduce you to a concept known as capitalisation. It's also known as capitalization in stupider parts of the world. :twisted:
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

eviloatmeal

Re: WITH BAOBABBIES LIKE THESE, WHO NEEDS PRICKLYMOLPS?

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:00 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I would like to introduce you to a concept known as capitalisation. It's also known as capitalization in stupider parts of the world. :twisted:

Ugh, using an emoticon to end you post like a giant full stop. How cliché. :roll:

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:01 am UTC

The basic point of this comic isn't "this guy is a jerk" it's "this guy is exactly as stupid as the people he's talking about i.e not really"

Anyone heard the 'This is Water' speech? The basic idea of it is that if you judge other human beings and humanity as a whole by tiny noninteractions, just your observations from the outside, of COURSE you're going to get a negative idea of them, because real life is stressful and annoying and pointless and everyone else is just in your way, until you take the time to acknowledge that they have their own pasts and goals and that you cannot even know if this is how they normally act, and that for someone else you're just another annoying slobby selfish moron who's in their way.

TG333

Postby TG333 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:18 am UTC

From my experience it´s not that the majority of people are stupid, but that the subset of stupid people is much more visible than the rest. You don´t really recognize the two hundred cars every morning on your way to work merging friendly and thoughtful, but once that moron cuts your lane you´ll find a nice stereotype of stupid (people from town X, Prius driver, women, men, the elderly, the young - whatever feature you fancy the most that day).
I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”