1407: "Worst Hurricane"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

medievalist

Re: 1407: "Worst Hurricane"

Postby medievalist » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:16 pm UTC

It's way wrong for Delaware.

Sandy was not really a big deal for us; certainly nothing like Agnes (I remember both) or even Isabel. Nobody in Delaware would remember Sandy at all if we hadn't seen all the news coverage from NJ and NY.

Myself, I barely had three inches of water in the yard during Sandy. Irene was far worse - washed away four feet of streambank along a ten-foot stretch and exposed the county sewer pipes, probably about three tons of dirt and vegetation stripped away. And during Tropical Storm Henri in 2003, I had four feet of water up on the back side of the barn, and uprooted trees three feet in diameter were flying down the stream like out-of-control freight trains.

If you don't sweat the Tropical Storm/Hurricane semantiniggle, Henri (see Wikipedia, sorry I can't post URLs) was definitely the "worst" in living memory. It destroyed eight steel and concrete bridges within a few miles of me. At one point, while Henri was stopped over Kennett Square PA, an eleven-foot high wall of water came down the Red Clay creek into Delaware and pushed over a hundred houses right off their foundations. This was while the sun was still shining and people were out walking their dogs and playing frisbee - it was like a biblical apocalypse for Glenville residents. Then the actual storm hit! Roads and railroads were washed away, houses and businesses destroyed, and over $16 million in direct damages (which is a lot - remember Delaware is quite tiny, less than half the size of Puerto Rico).

rundlesm

Postby rundlesm » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 am UTC

The worst hurricanes, in my experience, were the six or seven Hurricanes consumed by me in Pat O'Brien's Bar, New Orleans in nineteen ninety something while attending a conference in the city.

I still shudder at the (hazy) memory of the aftermath.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:33 am UTC

medievalist wrote:It's way wrong for Delaware.

Sandy was not really a big deal for us; certainly nothing like Agnes (I remember both) or even Isabel. Nobody in Delaware would remember Sandy at all if we hadn't seen all the news coverage from NJ and NY.

Myself, I barely had three inches of water in the yard during Sandy. Irene was far worse - washed away four feet of streambank along a ten-foot stretch and exposed the county sewer pipes, probably about three tons of dirt and vegetation stripped away. And during Tropical Storm Henri in 2003, I had four feet of water up on the back side of the barn, and uprooted trees three feet in diameter were flying down the stream like out-of-control freight trains.

If you don't sweat the Tropical Storm/Hurricane semantiniggle, Henri (see Wikipedia, sorry I can't post URLs) was definitely the "worst" in living memory. It destroyed eight steel and concrete bridges within a few miles of me. At one point, while Henri was stopped over Kennett Square PA, an eleven-foot high wall of water came down the Red Clay creek into Delaware and pushed over a hundred houses right off their foundations. This was while the sun was still shining and people were out walking their dogs and playing frisbee - it was like a biblical apocalypse for Glenville residents. Then the actual storm hit! Roads and railroads were washed away, houses and businesses destroyed, and over $16 million in direct damages (which is a lot - remember Delaware is quite tiny, less than half the size of Puerto Rico).

What a Great Story.
An eleven foot tall wall of water IS an apocalypse for those of us on the Ground.

I am a lttle nervious.
I have put myself in a place that is has a reputation for High Winds.
That is in an area that experiences High Winds on a Regular Basis. (eeek.)

What have I done?
It all seemed to make sense, at the time.
It seemed like a good idea, at the time.

i may need to study Anchor Systems.
Tie EveryThing Down!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

misterspokes

Postby misterspokes » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:22 am UTC

As a Rhode Islander I can say that the worst hurricane was most likely the 38 hurricane, as the Fox Point Hurricane barrier was active. So while it might have been excessive with regard to rainfall, the flooding was minimal

project2051

Postby project2051 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:33 pm UTC

Hurricane Huron 1996.

Well, living in Michigan (the thumb), it's probably the closest thing we'll get.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:17 am UTC

Don't feel bad.
Do not dispair.

If the Hurricane will not come to you, you can go to it.
Modern Communication and Modern Weather Tracking Systems allow the Poster on the Go to get to storms as they develop.

How far can it be?
One or Two thousand miles from the Thumb to the next Big Storm?
They don't stop people going in, until it's Too Late.

It's the American Way.
We plan and we go in.

I know it is a little stupid.
Kind of like Tourism in War Zones.

I don't mind Tourists.
Huricanes hit land outside my front door.

Very little commuting.
Those Storms scare me.

I like them, anyway.
That is three shades of Weird.

To like what one fears.
Well.....

What good would it do to Hate The Storm?
A person could move.

To where?
Tornado Alley?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

thunk

Postby thunk » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:50 pm UTC

Depending on how the rainfall plays out in the next few days, this map might need to be updated for Harvey in the texas coast.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Flumble wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:There was the one that destroyed the middle of the Philippines recently (2013, named Haiyan). Maybe the less extreme ones are too common there? What news outlets do you follow that didn't cover that one?

Oh right, that was because of a hurricane. The thing I remember about that disaster was the vast amount of damage and the sheer number of charity fundraisers, not whether it was a flood, tsunami or a hurricane. :oops:

Apparently it was a typhoon. According to The Great Wiki, typhoons and hurricanes are the same thing in different places. So you were sort of right in a sense: they don't have hurricanes because they call them typhoons.

Here we've had both:
Spoiler:
Hurricane:
Typhoon:

From a Tiger's point of view, the Typhoon's a lot worse.

A search for effects of climate change will reveal quite a lot about other countries' local versions of a tropical storm:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=record+flooding+kills
... or you could go by a list of records for cyclones:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ne_records
... or of record cyclones for each region:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... l_cyclones

Technical question: is it still a cyclone if it's in the southern hemisphere? Apparently yes it is. It's the low-pressure centre that makes it a cyclone, not the direction of rotation.

Here's a "slightly worse" map.
Spoiler:
Hurricanes to 2036.png

Names omitted as they're all considered profanities by this point.
It's only September and the hurricane season doesn't officially end until January.
I've been waiting a week for them to get the phone lines repaired so I can check whether my cousin made it home.
A curse on the inventor of the SUV!
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:18 pm UTC

HES wrote:To be fair, heat, cold, floods and strong winds kill people in the UK too. We just have far fewer people in the first place.

I wonder how storm-related drowning events compare, proportionally, between the two countries?

Drownings generally, 0.44 per 100,000 per year in the UK, 1.34 per 100,000 per year in the US.
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/caus ... y-country/
Violence 0.63:5.56, so a bigger problem here and a much bigger problem there.
Road traffic accidents 2.97:9.99, so a far bigger problem here and holy cow what are they doing? Oh, hey, Iran? 43.54 is a lot. Look into that.

Judging by the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n ... nd_Ireland
... we occasionally lose a few dozen people to a storm. 0.01 per 100,000 per year, perhaps.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:51 pm UTC

LtPowers wrote:I was surprised that most of Western NY is Hazel and not Agnes. Both were before my time, but I've never heard about Hazel before. I've heard a lot more about Agnes -- mainly because the floodwaters on the Genesee River reached within inches of the top of the Mt Morris Dam. Had the Dam not been there, Agnes would have caused at least $210 million in damages (in 1972 dollars) to the city of Rochester.

Powers &8^]

Baltimore County seems to be Eloise (googling says 1975, doesn't fit on cartoon). This seems unreasonable as growing up there a bit after both I was familiar with plenty of stuff (train tracks, old bridges, etc) that no longer existed thanks to Agnes, but this is the first I've heard of Eloise (and seeing how I was 6, it should have been a big thing to me). Perhaps Agnes took out everything in danger of flooding 3 years earlier, but I have to say that the wrath of Agnes was legendary even recently after Eloise.

Hazel must have been pretty scary (well before my time). I remember going outside when the eye of Camile passed over, and the damage was amazing (thanks to building codes it was mostly downed branches, but a friend was out of power for weeks).

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:44 am UTC

I must have completely missed this comic when it was first posted; I sure don't remember it.

Anyway, I feel like there was some big hurricane in the '90s that's completely missing from the list. Andrew and Fran are names I remember, but wasn't there another one? Whatever it was, most likely it's missing because it hit Florida, and Florida has inevitably seen worse at some point.

There was another comic, pre-Sandy, where Randall accurately predicted that New York City was "overdue" for a devastating one. I wonder if there's a similar threat of one leveling Disney World sometime in the next few decades.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:09 am UTC

I must have completely missed this comic when it was first posted; I sure don't remember it.

Anyway, I feel like there was some big hurricane in the '90s that's completely missing from the list. Andrew and Fran are names I remember, but wasn't there another one? Whatever it was, most likely it's missing because it hit Florida, and Florida has inevitably seen worse at some point.

There was another comic, pre-Sandy, where Randall accurately predicted that New York City was "overdue" for a devastating one. I wonder if there's a similar threat of one leveling Disney World sometime in the next few decades. Anyone out there old enough to remember Dora, Easy, Donna, and/or "1944" who might weigh in on the destructive capabilities of a hurricane that far inland?

Coyne wrote:Mississippi coast...well, there mostly wasn't anyone to show and, like, you know, "No one lives there. Who wants to hear about Biloxi, or Gulfport? Who's ever even heard of those places? And there's nothing to see, who wants to see pictures of empty concrete pads and heaps of debris?"

"Nah. Go with New Orleans."

I'll always remember Biloxi because that's where President Bush finally showed what a despicable human being he is, as opposed to merely an incompetent one. He went there personally and brought along a relief crew to do cleanup work, run a food line, all that good stuff. And then as soon as the media left, so did he and the entire crew. It was all just a big show for the media. It's the sort of thing I'd expect from Mr. Trump, if he weren't determined to upstage it with his own even worse brand of awfulness.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 am UTC

keithl wrote:sniped - but no comment. Unsporting.

My worst "hurricane" was Typhoon Freda in October 1962, age 9, near Portland Oregon. "some reports put the peak velocity at 179 miles per hour (288 km/h)". Blew out the walls of the gym at the grade school - since I hated gym, this was a plus. We ate meals cooked on the woodstove-like fireplace for days until the power came back on. Most men my father's age spent the week afterwards picking up rubble instead of going to work - we kids picked up little stuff.

Rebuilding a greenhouse for the backyard now, with that storm in mind. The pre-rebuild greenhouse may have been built from salvage from the 1962 storm.

Our next big disaster may be a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake. It will probably topple most of the tall buildings in Portland, and just about everything built with brick before 2000 AD, when the building codes were updated to reflect new geological discoveries. The last one in 1700 caused a 30 meter tsunami that wiped out most of the coastal tribes, killed dozens as far away as Japan, and dropped a cubic mile of mountain into the Columbia river. Hurricane, schmurricane.
Gee...I remember That one, too.
We are getting kind'a old, together.

That was the only Time my GrandFather ever yelled at me.

I said, "GrandPa! Look at the Garage!"
The roof had lifted up and was flying out into a field.

He yelled, "Get Away From That Window!"

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”