1411: "Loop"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

1411: "Loop"

Postby bachaddict » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:18 am UTC

Title text: "Ugh, today's kids are forgetting the old-fashioned art of absentmindedly reading the same half-page of a book over and over and then letting your attention wander and picking up another book."

Until I get a smartwatch, I can only make the loop once before running out of devices.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

The Moomin

Re: 1411: "Loop"

Postby The Moomin » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:51 am UTC

Missed the stage of staring at the screen and daydreaming about being at home stroking the cat.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:54 am UTC

I don't even bother with the phone since it's too slow, and I have little use for other devices besides that and my PC.

My loop is to open my webcomics folder (all at once), mindlessly tab through them looking for updates, and then repeat it again as soon as I get to the end. Come to think of it that sounds pretty close to the alt text in internet form.

Jiffy

Postby Jiffy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 am UTC

I have the same loop - except replace 'stare blankly at screen' with 'stare blankly at homework'.
:|

JeromeWest

Postby JeromeWest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:20 am UTC

"letting your attention wander and picking up a smaller book"

JeromeWest

Postby JeromeWest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am UTC

sotanaht wrote:My loop is to open my webcomics folder (all at once), mindlessly tab through them looking for updates, and then repeat it again as soon as I get to the end. Come to think of it that sounds pretty close to the alt text in internet form.

Try RSS, and only open up the webcomics that do have updates. Less mindless tabbing that way. More time for the important stuff, like mindlessly scrolling through Reddit, or Slashdot, or Facebook...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:20 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:Missed the stage of staring at the screen and daydreaming about being at home stroking the cat.

I think you meant "Missed the stage of stroking the bobcat and daydreaming about staring at a screen" :mrgreen:

JeromeWest wrote:
sotanaht wrote:My loop is to open my webcomics folder (all at once), mindlessly tab through them looking for updates, and then repeat it again as soon as I get to the end. Come to think of it that sounds pretty close to the alt text in internet form.

Try RSS, and only open up the webcomics that do have updates. Less mindless tabbing that way. More time for the important stuff, like mindlessly scrolling through Reddit, or Slashdot, or Facebook...

Hey, there's always something new on StackOverflow!
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:Hey, there's always something new on StackOverflow!

Man, it's so hard to resist those "hot network questions" links. The technical ones are tempting enough, but I love the ones like "How should I go about leaving a band?" or "Is there a dress code for women in IT?" All human life is there.

The worst thing is that I've normally gone there for legitimate work reasons and end up on a wikiwalk. At least with tvtropes I can consciously avoid going there (as should you, dear reader).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:48 am UTC

JeromeWest wrote:

I've finally divided my webcomic bookmark into each day of the week and put links to the webcomics that update on each day there (so for example SMBC is in every folder). I still keep on checking the "irregular" and "never" folders, but it takes a fraction of time compared to the slew of webcomics I used to have bookmarked together.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

The only problem I can think of with this comic is the implication that you need multiple devices to continue this loop. I can get bored and cycle through windows on my desktop just fine without a smartphone or any smaller devices, thank you very much.

And I must be getting old, because I feel like I'm the only human left alive who says this. Who is baffled by the idea that you would scope back to a smaller device when you get bored of your larger device.

FInally, if you're scoping back to smaller books, the first book you started with probably wasn't a very good one to begin with.

cellocgw wrote:
The Moomin wrote:Hey, there's always something new on StackOverflow!

The problem is, in my experience, there's usually 2 million new things there at once, about 100 of which are interesting, and about 10 of which are my own unanswered poorly written questions.

orthogon wrote:
cellocgw wrote:Hey, there's always something new on StackOverflow!

Man, it's so hard to resist those "hot network questions" links. The technical ones are tempting enough, but I love the ones like "How should I go about leaving a band?" or "Is there a dress code for women in IT?" All human life is there.

I'm usually drawn to questions like How can I tell if a corpse is safe to eat, or How do I lick a plane?
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

Introbulus wrote:I'm usually drawn to questions like How can I tell if a corpse is safe to eat, or How do I lick a plane?

I knew what game the first one was about without clicking. I had no idea about the second. I believe that means I'm old.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:44 pm UTC

My idle animation is "refresh forums to check for new posts"

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

So... the devices get increasingly smaller?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So... the devices get increasingly smaller?

No, decreasingly smaller.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46 pm UTC

But if they're decreasing in smallness then they're getting larger…
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:01 pm UTC

Given it's impossible to absently check a device that isn't smaller than the previously checked device, what's the biggest thing on Earth that has a screen? To maximize the loop length, one should start with that one.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

marsilies

Postby marsilies » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Introbulus wrote:The only problem I can think of with this comic is the implication that you need multiple devices to continue this loop. I can get bored and cycle through windows on my desktop just fine without a smartphone or any smaller devices, thank you very much.

Yeah, the way it's currently written, it seems more like a spiral than a loop, since it looks like it progresses to ever smaller devices, from Desktop to Laptop to Tablet to Smartphone.

I presume the next step would be Smartwatch.

clockworkbookreader

Postby clockworkbookreader » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Moore's Law.... does it now apply to devices as well as the guts of the systems?
In the event of pneumothorax, stab me with an 18g angiocath just above the second rib in the midclavicular line.
Thank you.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:08 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:But if they're decreasing in smallness then they're getting larger…

"...getting decreasingly smaller" just means the rate at which they are getting smaller is decreasing. After all, you can't have a negatively small device.
He/Him/His Image

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

This depends upon your reference point for smallness. If you are using your original device as a reference point, then it would be accurate to say that each new device is increasingly smaller than your original device, but if you're using each new device, you would have to say they are getting decreasingly smaller, because the scale by which they decrease in size is going down as the ability to shrink the device decreases in comparison to the original ability to shrink the device.

[/Pedantic English]

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:But if they're decreasing in smallness then they're getting larger…

"...getting decreasingly smaller" just means the rate at which they are getting smaller is decreasing. After all, you can't have a negatively small device.

So if I sit in a car and accelerate it by 1mph every minute I'm not going increasingly faster, since my acceleration is constant? To my ear "increasingly/decreasingly x" just means "more/less x over time", not "higher/lower rate of increase of x over time".

What you seem to want to interpret it as, I would phrase as "shrinking decreasingly quickly" (or "shrinking increasingly slowly").

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:13 pm UTC

The difference is between "increasingly small" and "increasingly smaller".
He/Him/His Image

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

So if I sit in a car and accelerate it by 1mph every minute, I'm going increasingly fast, but not increasingly faster?

HES

Postby HES » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:16 pm UTC

Yes. "Increasingly fast", or "faster", but not "increasingly faster".
He/Him/His Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:34 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:So if I sit in a car and accelerate it by 1mph every minute I'm not going increasingly faster, since my acceleration is constant?

Yeah, you're going faster constantly, not increasingly. :lol:

Economic predictions use it this way too (in Dutch at least): a decreasing growth of the economy means the growth is going towards zero, not that the economy is shrinking.

First time I've looked up what pedanticism actually means.

[edit] I know what I said, rms! :oops:
Last edited by Flumble on Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:First time I've looked up what pedantism actually means.

"Pedantry" or "pedanticism"...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:10 pm UTC

I don't see why "pedantism" couldn't also be a perfectly cromulent word, meaning the -ism of being a pedant.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:I don't see why "pedantism" couldn't also be a perfectly cromulent word, meaning the -ism of being a pedant.

-ism is usually attached to an adjective rather than a noun...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

You sure about that?

What about terrorism, racism, journalism, tourism, capitalism, communism, skepticism, patriotism, symbolism, alcoholism, antisemitism, Buddhism, Hinduism, heroism, sexism, perfectionism, materialism, marxism, humanism, consumerism, cannibalism, magnetism, zionism, nazism, creationism, and militarism?

You can be [adjective] and you can be (a) [noun], so -ism works equally well for both.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:14 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Given it's impossible to absently check a device that isn't smaller than the previously checked device, what's the biggest thing on Earth that has a screen? To maximize the loop length, one should start with that one.

That is a good question.
Where is the largest screen on earth?

Is it in Tokyo?
On the street?

New York?
On the street?

Some Music Venue?
Ten thousand people can see the pupils of the performer dilate and contract?

I have no idea.
Where is the largest screen?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

The light of the moon is a reflection of the light shining on it from the sun. The shadow that is cast upon it is the shadow of the Earth. While light reflects off of the surfaces of other objects in the solar system, the Moon is the only one that we can see projecting something other than light.

If you want the largest viewing screen you can see from our planet, just look up.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:59 pm UTC

Introbulus wrote:The light of the moon is a reflection of the light shining on it from the sun. The shadow that is cast upon it is the shadow of the Earth. While light reflects off of the surfaces of other objects in the solar system, the Moon is the only one that we can see projecting something other than light.

If you want the largest viewing screen you can see from our planet, just look up.

Most of the shadows we see on the Moon are of other bits of Moon - it's only occasionally that we see a shadow cast by the Earth up there.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Introbulus wrote:The light of the moon is a reflection of the light shining on it from the sun. The shadow that is cast upon it is the shadow of the Earth. While light reflects off of the surfaces of other objects in the solar system, the Moon is the only one that we can see projecting something other than light.

Most of the shadows we see on the Moon are of other bits of Moon - it's only occasionally that we see a shadow cast by the Earth up there.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant the phases of the moon, caused by the occlusion of light against the moon's surface.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

Introbulus wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant the phases of the moon, caused by the occlusion of light against the moon's surface.

Yeah, the phases are due to the Moon's self-shadowing, not Earth's shadow, which only falls on the Moon during a Lunar Eclipse.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

The phases of the moon are caused by the moon itself blocking light to half its surface, just as nighttime is caused by the Earth blocking sunlight.

Only during a lunar eclipse is any part of the Moon in Earth's shadow.
---

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:26 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The phases of the moon are caused by the moon itself blocking light to half its surface, just as nighttime is caused by the Earth blocking sunlight.

Only during a lunar eclipse is any part of the Moon in Earth's shadow.

Wait.
What?

I have Never really gotten the whole Moon thing.
I have had experience looking at it.

I am not sure what I am looking at.
I was told, one time that about the shadow of the Earth falling in a straight line across the Moon during one of its many phases.

What do you think of that Silly Story?
Explain.
Leave a simple link.

Enlighten me.
I am open to almost AnyThing at this point.

I had the whole thing explained to me, as a child.
Then I grew up and had it explained, again.

Then I asked for a paper on Moon Math.
Well...That was the last time I ever thought I might know something.

I thought Moon Math would be Easy.
28 days and Begin, again.

How hard could it be?
Hard! Really, Really Hard!

You may be able to blow though one of those papers and explain it Real Sllooww and Simple.
Any complexity will overwhelm my ability to follow. Don't tell me about the Math. (i might cry)

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:46 am UTC

It's easiest to test it yourself. Dark room, flashlight, some sort of ball (or round fruit, or something.) You can have any amount of shadow on the side of the ball you can see, depending on where the flashlight is relative to the ball, even with nothing else between them to cast shadows.

Or, thought experiment: since the moon revolves around the earth, it's closer to the sun than we are about half the time (and further away about half the time). But it's not a full moon half the time, which would have to be the case if the shadowy parts were caused by Earth's shadow, since we can't cast a shadow on it when it is closer to the sun than we are.

And a lunar eclipse (Earth's shadow on the moon) will only happen with a full (or nearly-full) moon, since it has to be showing its sunny side to us if we're sitting between it and the sun.

(My apologies if this isn't what you were asking about. I enjoy your poetic posts, but they're occasionally confusing.)

addams

Postby addams » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 am UTC

I am sorry about the confusion.

Yes.
That is a good beginning.

See?
The moon is hard.

I like it.
I don't have to understand it.

It was nice, as a child, to think I understood it.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:50 am UTC

It's like how in temperate regions and (polar regions around the equinoxes?) the slope of a mountain furthest from the equator is generally colder and darker than the opposite slope because the mountain sits between it and the sun a lot of the time.

On the moon the part of the surface opposite to the sun experiences night, distinguishable from day by an extralunar observer as being dark (and difficult to see).

EDIT: I'm sorry addams, I just read you didn't need to understand, I also sometimes have trouble processing your posts for the information therein.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:29 am UTC

I remember one summer evening when the moon and sun were visible at the same time. The moon was roughly half-illuminated, and it was easy to see it for what it was, i.e. a ball lit from the side. But it looked completely wrong; we all agreed that the part that was illuminated didn't seem to line up with where the sun was. All I can think is that in our mental model of the situation, we were imagining the sun and moon as being at more similar distances away than they really were. In reality the sun-moon and sun-earth lines would be essentially parallel. But even knowing this, we still couldn't make ourselves accept what we were seeing.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”