1412: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1412: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:11 am UTC

Title Text: My upcoming album, 'Linked List', has covers of 'The Purple People Eater', the Ninja Turtles theme, 'Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini', and the Power Rangers theme, with every song played to the tune of the next.

Trochee Trochee Trochee Trochee
Trochee trochee tro-chee
Trochee power!

dash

Re: 1412: "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

Postby dash » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:16 am UTC

This one was pretty good.

Many years ago I came up with the hack of singing the A,B, C song to whatever tune I liked, since I can never remember the words.

Try it! For example, sing the ABC's to the tune of My Darling Clementine. It gets to be fun. Great to do with little kids.
If my wife were a D&D character she'd be all 10's

DaveMcW

Postby DaveMcW » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:32 am UTC

Randall's Trochee Phrase
FIXATION

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:35 am UTC

Nice alt text, but IMO it should have been "and now you're singing Every. Single. One."

johnfrye3

Postby johnfrye3 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:55 am UTC

Yes, I did sing every single one, and then I started skipping down diagonally for more fun, which was sometimes confusing ("English Arctic English -partment", "Human Class De- North Da- Weevil"), but also resulted in a few that I enjoyed:

Crouching Saving People Lobster
Lesser Martin Urine Rangers
Semi-Brides for Game of Bacon

(Also, whatever a quantuum is, sign me up for one. Or maybe two quantua.)

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:17 am UTC

I can only get them to work if I only sing the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" line. The "Church of Jesus Christ Creator" is where it should be "Heroes in a half shell, turtle power", but it doesn't fit.

Hremsfeld

Postby Hremsfeld » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:21 am UTC

What does the last song in the list sound like?

Epsilon Rose

Postby Epsilon Rose » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:34 am UTC

Now I really want to hear what the alt-text songs would actually sound like.

gormster

Postby gormster » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:43 am UTC

Typo in the title text (alubm).
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

Dominoes1

Postby Dominoes1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I can only get them to work if I only sing the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" line. The "Church of Jesus Christ Creator" is where it should be "Heroes in a half shell, turtle power", but it doesn't fit.

Same. This doens't seem to work at all.

almafuerte

Postby almafuerte » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:23 am UTC

I couldn't make "San Diego City Council" fit, until I realized English speakers can't pronounce "Diego" properly. It's Die-go, not Di-e-go.

Eternal Density

THESE AREN'T THE TARDISES YOU'RE CHIRPING FOR

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:05 am UTC

DaveMcW wrote:Randall's Trochee Phrase
FIXATION

Because of that comic whenever I notice that a word or a bunch of words are trochees, I quickly find myself TMNTing. Even though I never really watched that show.

Also, Unlinked List is the tentative title of a future album by Vital Hotdog Function, in which every song will not be a reference (musically or lyrically) to anything at all.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Istaro

Postby Istaro » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:38 am UTC

almafuerte wrote:I couldn't make "San Diego City Council" fit, until I realized English speakers can't pronounce "Diego" properly. It's Die-go, not Di-e-go.

Hmm. It sounds like you mean "English speakers, when speaking English, pronounce 'Diego' in English". Which is true, albeit pretty obvious. In English (and Japanese, for that matter) it's three syllables; in Spanish, two.

So really, you're saying that you forgot for a second how to pronounce "Diego" in English. Which is nothing unusual—it's taken me a second to remember how to say "Hiroshima" in English—but nothing to be proud of.

chrisjwmartin

Postby chrisjwmartin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:55 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I can only get them to work if I only sing the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" line. The "Church of Jesus Christ Creator" is where it should be "Heroes in a half shell, turtle power", but it doesn't fit.

You misunderstood: each individual phrase is to be sung to the tune of the signature line. However, you can take advantage of the fact that the signature line is repeated two notes higher. Yes, I sang it all too.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:16 am UTC

A woman I once worked with got married during the time I knew her. I suggested that she should hyphenate her maiden name with that of her husband, solely on the grounds that her full name would then be in iambic pentameter.

(It would not be prudent to reveal her entire name, but the new married surname was "Cunningham".)

Philbert

Postby Philbert » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:57 am UTC

almafuerte wrote:I couldn't make "San Diego City Council" fit, until I realized English speakers can't pronounce "Diego" properly. It's Die-go, not Di-e-go.

You make it seem like it should be "Dye-Go" while it would be closer to "Jay-go", I think? (I'm not a Spanish speaker)

Are Americans beholden to stick to the original Spanish pronunciation in their own country? Look at what they did to "New Orleans".
It so happens that the city of New York is full of names with a Dutch origin, that are so mangled that most Dutch people do not recognize them as such anymore.

IainIsm

Postby IainIsm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:12 am UTC

But anyway...

Randall missed this one: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Song ... of_Another

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 am UTC

dash wrote:This one was pretty good.

Many years ago I came up with the hack of singing the A,B, C song to whatever tune I liked, since I can never remember the words.

Try it! For example, sing the ABC's to the tune of My Darling Clementine. It gets to be fun. Great to do with little kids.

One Song to the Tune of Another is an institution amongst fans of BBC Radio 4's I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Clue. I'm sure the Intertubes are full of examples, but there are a few clips here sanctioned copyrightwise by Auntie herself.

I have loved Jerome Kern's song Yesterdays since I first discovered it, but for a long time had no idea what Otto Harbach's lyrics were (it's one of those jazz standards that tends to be played instrumentally more often than sung). Wanting something to sing along to it (in my mind, not out loud), it seemed appropriate to take the lyrics of Lennon & McCartney's Yesterday. They need just a bit of adjustment (You have to sing the first word "Yesterday" twice, and then insert the word "very": "All my troubles seemed so very far away"). Over time it's come to seem to me as though those are the correct words. I'm also convinced that the Beatles song was influenced by Kern's number.

Ninja'd, dammit, on the Clue reference.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 am UTC

chrisjwmartin wrote:

You misunderstood: each individual phrase is to be sung to the tune of the signature line. However, you can take advantage of the fact that the signature line is repeated two notes higher. Yes, I sang it all too.

I figured, but then it's not strictly speaking sung "to the tune of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song", is it?

Eternal Density

Re: 1412: "Cuegan Mustard Ketchup Punsaws"

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:13 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:A woman I once worked with got married during the time I knew her. I suggested that she should hyphenate her maiden name with that of her husband, solely on the grounds that her full name would then be in iambic pentameter.

(It would not be prudent to reveal her entire name, but the new married surname was "Cunningham".)

I have a friend who added his wife's surname to his own with a hyphen. I don't know the reason, but I like to imagine it's because her surname is that of a Stagate SG-1 character, and he's quite a fan.
WilliamLehnsherr wrote:
chrisjwmartin wrote:

I figured, but then it's not strictly speaking sung "to the tune of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme song", is it?
It's to part of the tune.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:31 am UTC

He left out the Barney song.

Not to mention the alternate version kids developed thru the mystical "elementary school story network" , which goes something like

I hate you,
you hate me,
we're a dysfunctional family
with a big gun: bang bang:
Barney hits the floor
No more purple dinosaur.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pixeldigger

Postby pixeldigger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:55 am UTC

OK,

So I'm sitting here trying to sing these to the tune of TMNT, and wondering which "paragraph" goes with the illustrated title.
Now I'm starting to think that rather than ME missing whats funny here, he has just made a list of 8 syllable phrases.

Thats no good. I think I hate it
its not something well created
try find some humor in it.
it just isn't in there.
Turtle power.

LtPowers

Postby LtPowers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:43 pm UTC

Tut tut, "Church of Jesus Christ Creator" is just a redirect, not an article.

Powers &8^]

LtPowers

Postby LtPowers » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

pixeldigger wrote:OK,

So I'm sitting here trying to sing these to the tune of TMNT, and wondering which "paragraph" goes with the illustrated title.
Now I'm starting to think that rather than ME missing whats funny here, he has just made a list of 8 syllable phrases.

No, he made a list of 4-trochee phrases. There's a difference. And all the phrases are actual verbatim Wikipedia page titles.

Powers &8^]

doranchak

Postby doranchak » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

This must be how Billy Joel came up with the lyrics for We Didn't Start The Fire...

Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan,
"Wheel of Fortune", Sally Ride, heavy metal suicide,
Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz, Hypodermics on the shore, China's under martial law, Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore.

sbkp

Postby sbkp » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

johnfrye3 wrote:Crouching Saving People Lobster
Lesser Martin Urine Rangers

Apparently this comic also functions as a password generator.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

I'm sure many of these don't work universally, based on differences in pronunciation.

Similar to the San Diego debate above, "Orange County Business Council" doesn't work for me because orange has only one syllable... or am I unique here? Anybody here who knows how the locals pronounce it?

Also, I always want to pronounce "Gloucester" as glau-CHESS-ter, which obviously wouldn't work, but of course the title Duke of Glo[uce]ste[r] would work with the letters that England (and Massachusetts) forget. I was hoping there were some Midwestern Gloucesters to back me up, but it turns out all the U.S. Gloucesters are on the East Coast, and are apparently pronounced more or less the same, either Gloss-ter or Gloss-tah. I know if there were a Gloucester, Nebraska or Gloucester, Indiana then it would be pronounced glau-chess-ter.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:"Orange County Business Council" doesn't work for me because orange has only one syllable... or am I unique here?

Ornge?

Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong.
He/Him/His Image

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

I just started reading the list rapid-fire and ended up slipping into Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 instead. Try it yourself!

And I don't think the idea in the mouseover caption would work.

mathmannix wrote:I know if there were a Gloucester, Nebraska or Gloucester, Indiana then it would be pronounced glau-chess-ter.

We have a Worcester that's pronounced the way it's spelled, but they did it the other way around and spelled it "Wooster".
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:29 pm UTC

HES wrote:
mathmannix wrote:"Orange County Business Council" doesn't work for me because orange has only one syllable... or am I unique here?

Ornge?

Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong.

Well, I'm not wrong here in the US (or at least in the Midwest where I grew up). English pronunciation is not limited to what a certain region deems correct (even if the region is part of England).

HES

Postby HES » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

I was struggling to fathom how you would pronounce orange as one syllable, and therefore assumed even with accents it's two. But apparently you really do say ornge. TIL Syncopes are a thing.
He/Him/His Image

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:I'm sure many of these don't work universally, based on differences in pronunciation.

Also, I always want to pronounce "Gloucester" as glau-CHESS-ter, which obviously wouldn't work, but of course the title Duke of Glo[uce]ste[r] would work with the letters that England (and Massachusetts) forget.

Even worse, we here in MA have "Wuhster" aka Worcester, but we have "Dorchester" aka Dorchester. And pronounce "Trapelo Road" at your own risk.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

larsh

Postby larsh » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

I'm wondering whether Randall came up with this list using a program, and if so, what he used to analyze the syllable stress pattern.
Seems like it would take a long time to find that many titles otherwise. But I guess if you have a trochee fixation...

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

HES wrote:I was struggling to fathom how you would pronounce orange as one syllable, and therefore assumed even with accents it's two. But apparently you really do say ornge. TIL Syncopes are a thing.

Well, yeah. But I guess there's also something there that I don't know the name for, where several consonant sounds in a row are almost like a partial syllable... like how the made-up monosyllabic word "threepsh" takes longer to say than a usual monosyllabic word, and it almost feels like two or even three syllables. Orange is one syllable (to me), but the R-N-J sounds take a little bit of time to roll off the tongue.

Dominoes1

Postby Dominoes1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:39 pm UTC

chrisjwmartin wrote:

It works for the first 3 lines only.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:05 pm UTC

Istaro wrote:

Hmm. It sounds like you mean "English speakers, when speaking English, pronounce 'Diego' in English". Which is true, albeit pretty obvious. In English (and Japanese, for that matter) it's three syllables; in Spanish, two.

So really, you're saying that you forgot for a second how to pronounce "Diego" in English. Which is nothing unusual—it's taken me a second to remember how to say "Hiroshima" in English—but nothing to be proud of.

I do occasionally have a mental crisis about what a syllable actually is. Is the "fact" that the diphthong in "Diego" is one syllable in Spanish but two in English and Japanese a real feature of those languages, or an arbitrary convention decided by extrinsic factors such as the writing system? I'm particularly interested in the Japanese example. Clearly there is a feeling that each kana represents one syllable, so kimashita is four syllables, and yet the same word pronounced the same way would clearly be only three syllables in English (kimashta). I suppose that native Japanese speakers consider the "i" vowel to be there even though in speech the vowel itself is inaudible. (Its effect on the "s", turning it into a "sh", is audible, but that's kind of a separate issue). I also remember seeing a Japanese film in which a kid was reading out his mum's new house rules, and was annunciating each syllable fully, including the "su" in desu etc. Do Japanese speakers imagine the platonic language to be like that, and either accept that they're lazy and skip some of the vowels, or perhaps they don't even notice they're doing it?

A long time ago a friend of mine introduced me to a challenge he'd invented, which required him to think of an N letter word with N-1 syllables. He'd got any number of two-letter monosyllables, and he'd got oil for N=3 and oily for N=4. Whether these are really allowed hinges on the whole question of whether a diphthong is one syllable or two. I've wondered ever since whether there's a solution for N>4.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:12 pm UTC

I see I'm not the only one who got confused and tried to sing whole lines of titles as if it were the entire theme song.

Randall has really underestimated us if he thinks we can't remember every word to the original theme.

(From memory)

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES,
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!
HEROES IN A HALF-SHELL, TURTLE POWER!

They're the world's most fearsome fighting team!
They're heroes in a half-shell and they're GREEN!
When the evil Shredder attacks,
These turtle boys don't cut him no slack!

Splinter taught them to be NInja Teens!
(He's a radical rat!)
Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines!
(That's a fact Jack!)
Raphael is cool, but rude!
(Gimme a break!)
Michalangelo is a party dude!
(COWABUNGA!!!)

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES!
HEROES IN A HALF-SHELL, TURTLE POWER!

And now we need to find wikipedia articles that can be sung to the entire theme song (Raph's commentary optional)
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

well, goes to show how old I am. I have heard of the TMNT but am absolutely clueless as to what their theme song is.

On the other hand I can relate to this guy.

Colonel Bleep.jpg
Colonel Bleep.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 14502 times

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:21 pm UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:well, goes to show how old I am. I have heard of the TMNT but am absolutely clueless as to what their theme song is.

On the other hand I can relate to this guy.

Colonel Bleep.jpg

And it's not as if you don't know who they are, if that avatar of yours is any indication (unless I'm totally mistaken, it's from the comic isn't it?)
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

alanbbent

Postby alanbbent » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:32 pm UTC

I love this comic. Way too many songwriters nowadays completely throw out the concept of stressed syllables. And I have a hard time explaining to people why I can't stand it! The first example that pops into my head is Viva la Vida by Coldplay. What are missionarEEZ?

I think "screeched" is considered the longest one-syllable word. But it's hard to fit into one syllable. And how many syllables is meow? (or miaow)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”