1420: "Watches"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

keithl

Re: 1420: "Watches"

Postby keithl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Wrists? You worry about wrists?
Borg.png
Borg.png (5.83 KiB) Viewed 7193 times

project2051

Postby project2051 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I'm a lifelong wristwatch wearer, and feel naked without one. Having said that, using a phone to tell the time has the great advantage that it can be synchronised automatically via the network so it's actually the correct time.

My wristwatch kind of does that, it picks up the LF radio time signal to be self adjusting.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:The only problem I see with this is that I abandoned my wrist watch long before smartphones - when I bought my first regular mobile phone (Nokia 3310, around 2001).

I also abandoned watches when I got a regular mobile phone, but for me, being resistant for a while to the idea of carrying a phone with me everywhere (and especially having to pay for it when it would mostly serve other peoples' convenience more than mine), I didn't get one until 2005 anyway. I also boycotted smartphones (for not just being pocket-sized general-purpose computers) as long as possible, until this year I needed a new phone and an old-model iPhone was actually the cheapest option available. And now everyone's moving on to smart watches, I guess? Bah. Kids these all days.

Also, on the topic of pocketwatches: I think it would be totally cool to have something in the form-factor of a pocket watch (on a chain with awesome decorative casing etc etc) which is actually a smartphone.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

keithl wrote:Wrists? You worry about wrists?
Borg.png

You mean I only have to wait 9 more years before joining you all in the unity of the OneSong?

I can't wait.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:20 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:WRIST WATCH?! HA!

Let me just whip out my trusty old sundial and i'll tell you what time it is.... as soon as the sun comes out... or rises... Darn.

Sundial? Why have technology at all? Can't you just look at where the sun is in the sky (or the constellations at night, which also tell you the date at the same time!)
The constellations can only tell you the date if you know the time, or the time if you know the date.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

The phase of the moon and its position in the sky can tell you the time (via the inferred position of the sun) at night.

That only works half the time though, when the moon's actually up at night.

Mental Mouse

Postby Mental Mouse » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:28 pm UTC

speising wrote:I don't wear a wristwatch since mine was stolen :( Come to think of it, i can't have been wearing it at that time either...

Sure you can, that's like Pickpocketing 203. (That is, an advanced class, but a good pickpocket really can do that.)

For myself, I got carpal tunnel 20 years ago. Since then, I've been wearing first pocketwatches, then watches that hang from my belt loops (carabiner clip).

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

Let me just whip out my trusty old sundial and i'll tell you what time it is.... as soon as the sun comes out... or rises... Darn.

Sundial? Why have technology at all? Can't you just look at where the sun is in the sky (or the constellations at night, which also tell you the date at the same time!)
The constellations can only tell you the date if you know the time, or the time if you know the date.

So time it is. Someone around you generally knows the date without looking it up, and otherwise just check your calendar.

operagost

Postby operagost » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:So the gap is supposed to mean that people use mobile phones instead of watches, right? I've seen a lot of people doing so.
But it only makes sense if:
  • Your phone actuallly shows the time.
  • You have your phone with you all the time
For a long time I used a phone that could not show the time until one day it fell on the street and was destroyed by a car. The phone I use now never shows correct time because I never set the time after removing the battery.

I would set the time if only so that when I missed a call or text, that I knew when it was.

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:16 am UTC

Just proves the ap[pl]e-descended life forms are still so amazingly primitive that they think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

serutan

Postby serutan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:03 am UTC

I like my watch. Much better than a Personal Enslavement Device :curmudgeon:
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:56 am UTC

orthogon wrote:(This is one of my biggest gripes with my 'droid smartphone: the way stuff just gradually and silently stopped working; first the news feed, then the calendar sync, then gmail, then the browser started crashing on every other site...)
Please don't blame android, it's the HTC part. I have a free of encumbersomes from those big companies Google Nexus S phone...and it gives me like 100 less problems than the HTC Sensation I've used.

gomipile wrote:
azule wrote:
alvinhochun wrote:But hey, don't put the title text in spoiler tags!
No offense, but I put it in a spoiler tag. Any good reason not to?

Yes. Many of use reading the site on mobile devices come here specifically to see the alt-text because our mobile browsers don't have a mouseover function. You are adding an extra step to that process for no reason I have discerned. Also, at first glance, your post makes it look like the alt-text is "I'm a wrist breather." rather than the actual alt-text.

Basically, the format you posted the top post in comes off as intentionally rude.
If I knew your reasons it might be intentional, but I asked because I didn't. But regardless, mobile users, please use http://m.xkcd.com. It's meant for you, use alt text with a long press.

My title text is superior, thanks for noticing! The posting style rules said nothing about using a spoiler (or not using them) but did say that I should add in a comment along with the comic image and title text. So, I did. If I were to not follow the rules in favor of not confusing people, I would have left off my comment, just picture and spoiler. :) (FYI, "two" titles texts have confused me...so there is zero winning in this posting game.)

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:15 am UTC

I used to work in a restaurant. I took my watch off while working to avoid damaging it. One day while getting a drink, the assistant manager walked in. I put my watch to my ear and when I had her attention, I said "no tick tick". She asked what I was talking about and I showed her my watch. She said "Oh, your watch is not ticking.". I said "no tick tick" again, and she asked for my watch. She said "You're right, it's not ticking." thenasked me if I wound it recently. I just said "No tick tick", so she tried to wind it, but couldn't find the stem. She then asked me if I changed the battery recently, and I just said "No tick tick.". She compared my watch with hers and said "You have theright time." then half laughing, half yelling she said "It's a digital watch! Digital watches don't tick! Get back to work!".
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:44 am UTC

serutan wrote:I like my watch. Much better than a Personal Enslavement Device :curmudgeon:

Pfft. That misconception stems from the even deeper misconception that just because someone can communicate with you means they can tell you what to do.

Come. Study at my feet, and learn the secret arts of not answering your texts for a week and a half, ignoring inconvenient emails so thoroughly that you forget they exist, and just flat refusing to pick up calls from numbers you don't both recognize and want to talk to. When your training is complete, you will be like a phantom of plausible deniability, your pursuers forever wondering if you're intentionally dodging their communiques or if you've simply forgotten that your phone is on mute and you've left it in the bathroom.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:52 am UTC

I recently found the old pocketwatch that my paternal grandfather gave me as a child.

It stopped, some time in the past ten years that it was in that box in my mother's storage, at 7:52.

If you've seen my first post in the Sevens thread, you'll get why I find that eerily spooky.

thomas_567

Postby thomas_567 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:41 am UTC

A watch is kinda necessary if you're in semester holidays and your sleep/awake cycle slowly gets screwed up. I realized just this morning when standing in the supermarket, that the day for all the people just started and I was awake for 14 hours and had no feel for the time. Things get really tricky when deciding what is the proper time to start drinking.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:41 am UTC

thomas_567 wrote:A watch is kinda necessary if you're in semester holidays and your sleep/awake cycle slowly gets screwed up. I realized just this morning when standing in the supermarket, that the day for all the people just started and I was awake for 14 hours and had no feel for the time. Things get really tricky when deciding what is the proper time to start drinking.

On the other hand, everybody knows what to start doing at 4:20.

Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

Duban wrote:The iWatch is far from the first smart watch to come out. You know what happened to all the other smartwatch designs before it? They died because the smart watch is a TERRIBLE idea. Smart devices are too heavy to put on a wrist watch and smart phones can do pretty much anything a smart watch can do, but more convenient. If this takes off it'll be more proof that people will buy any shit Apple sells them...

Exactly. I have my Galaxy Note 3 on a belt holster and it's available in an instant and it's ginormous screen allows easy reading and fast data input.

The only way a smartwatch could take off is if there was some sort of holographicly projected screen like what you see in Star Trek and/or possibly data input being mind controlled so you didn't have to tap at the tiny screen.

Smartphones took off because they did much, though not all, of what a laptop could do and were significantly more convenient to carry around and take out at a moments notice. Smartwatches are not measurably more convenient and can't do much of what a smartphone does. With current technology it is the unicycle of the computer world. Sure plenty of people own and know how to use unicycles, but they don't own them because they are effective transportation, they own them because they are neat and have the time to learn to use them and not fall on their face. Same with smartwatches.

The Chosen One

Postby The Chosen One » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:35 am UTC

"The word 'thinkpiece' sounds like a word made up by someone who didn't know about the word 'brain'."

Nah, that's a 'thinkpan'. 'Thinkpiece' refers to a given part of the brain and is used by people who don't know words like 'amygdala' or 'peduncle'.
If you ever find yourself asking, "is the answer to the question, "is the answer to the question, "am I the only one?" no?" no?" The answer is still no, but you should probably close all those Logic Puzzles tabs and go to sleep.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:18 am UTC

My father once worked helping build a nuclear plant, and glued a small digital watch sans band inside his hardhat. He got a great reputation for being able to tell time pretty accurately based on the sun's position in the sky. He'd take off the hat to 'shade his eyes' while looking upwards (into the hardhat), and quote a time 1-2 minutes from the actual correct time.

Personally I haven't worn a watch since high school, phones and car clocks give me the time when I really need it, and watches just get snagged on things and busted. The smart watch is pretty much a fad that should fade away, barring some really inventive use.

I wonder if the star trek writers really thought about how fast we'd get PADDS and comms... now we just need real tricorders for doctors, and solid holography and we'll be set.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:24 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:now we just need real tricorders for doctors
That's the plan.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:17 pm UTC

thomas_567 wrote:A watch is kinda necessary if you're in semester holidays and your sleep/awake cycle slowly gets screwed up. I realized just this morning when standing in the supermarket, that the day for all the people just started and I was awake for 14 hours and had no feel for the time. Things get really tricky when deciding what is the proper time to start drinking.

Nah, you just need a window that gives you decent outside light - or to go out under the sky from time to time. Provided you know what time of year it is, you can get a fairly good read on time of day from the height of the sun (or the pattern of the other stars) and even if you don't, it'll at least give you some idea...

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:38 am UTC

It's a holiday. It is time to start drinking (unless you made plans that include driving).
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:27 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The phase of the moon and its position in the sky can tell you the time (via the inferred position of the sun) at night.

That only works half the time though, when the moon's actually up at night.

Are you saying we need to install a giant space mirror so we can see the moon every day? Because that sounds to me like a pretty darned good idea.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Eternal Density

Android!!!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:55 am UTC

Oh, smartphones, of course. I never thought of that since they weren't actually mentioned in the comic.
I only check the time on my smartphone if I'm already using it, except if I'm running something fullscreen which hides the whatchamacallit bar.

Because pulling a phone out of a pocket or bag is a lot slower than just moving my wrist a little.
ETA
Actually, I'm wrong. There was a glorious period of several months during which my wrist was free because my analogue watch's battery ran down and it took me ages to get around to replacing it despite walking past a watch shop a few times every month. (Well part of that was organisation since I had to remember to bring the nonfunctioning watch with me, and the shop I walked past a few times every month just happened to be in a different state. But I got it there eventually.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

senor_cardgage

Postby senor_cardgage » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:
orthogon wrote:I'm a lifelong wristwatch wearer, and feel naked without one. Having said that, using a phone to tell the time has the great advantage that it can be synchronised automatically via the network so it's actually the correct time.

My wristwatch kind of does that, it picks up the LF radio time signal to be self adjusting.

I had a Casio WaveCeptor watch for a few years. It was the best watch I've ever had, in terms of features and functionality. The problem was that the back of the watch housing was plastic and resin, and eventually it wore off and fell apart so that the band could no longer attach. I set off in search of an all-metal WaveCeptor watch, to discover (sadly) that they were no longer made, and even the ones that had been in production didn't have the same features as the watch I really liked. I wound up buying a regular watch, all metal, but it's just not the same (not to mention it runs fast, so I have to adjust for the time because I'm too lazy to reset it until the start/end of DST).

azule wrote:
gomipile wrote:
azule wrote:
alvinhochun wrote:But hey, don't put the title text in spoiler tags!
No offense, but I put it in a spoiler tag. Any good reason not to?

Yes. Many of use reading the site on mobile devices come here specifically to see the alt-text because our mobile browsers don't have a mouseover function. You are adding an extra step to that process for no reason I have discerned. Also, at first glance, your post makes it look like the alt-text is "I'm a wrist breather." rather than the actual alt-text.

Basically, the format you posted the top post in comes off as intentionally rude.
If I knew your reasons it might be intentional, but I asked because I didn't. But regardless, mobile users, please use http://m.xkcd.com. It's meant for you, use alt text with a long press.

My title text is superior, thanks for noticing! The posting style rules said nothing about using a spoiler (or not using them) but did say that I should add in a comment along with the comic image and title text. So, I did. If I were to not follow the rules in favor of not confusing people, I would have left off my comment, just picture and spoiler. :) (FYI, "two" titles texts have confused me...so there is zero winning in this posting game.)

Spoiler:
Honestly, I don't see the point of putting anything in a spoiler tag. It's not like we're discussing movie review here. Just put the damn text out there for people to see.

PinkShinyRose wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

So time it is. Someone around you generally knows the date without looking it up, and otherwise just check your calendar.

A calendar won't tell you what the current date is. It lists all of them in a grid.

This is now bringing to mind the Goon Show bit on having the time written on a piece of paper.

CharonPDX

Postby CharonPDX » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:41 pm UTC

PracticalM wrote:I prefer my analog pocket watch that used to be my great grandfathers

Agreed. The only sad part about mine is that the crystal broke a few years ago, and apparently nobody makes replacement crystals that are actually meant to be USED. The old one was a thick piece of glass that survived over 100 years until the chain broke and it fell on a metal chair leg. (Even then, the crystal was merely cracked, not disintegrated in to 1000 pieces.) I shopped around for months trying to find a replacement, before finally getting the only thing I could - a thin piece of glass. It broke when the watch was in my pocket, all alone, because I happened to lean on it wrong.

Haven't been able to carry it around since.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:11 pm UTC

Can't the local jeweller (by which I mean the kind that has expertise and a workshop, not a mere reseller) repair it? They are used to working with all kinds of crystals.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:15 pm UTC

senor_cardgage wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

A calendar won't tell you what the current date is. It lists all of them in a grid.

This is now bringing to mind the Goon Show bit on having the time written on a piece of paper.

I think it'd generally give you a nice idea. People generally know the current day of the week and current month, leaving only four or five options. People can also generally determine what week it is by thinking back about events and special days in the recent past. Hence, the calendar is only required to match this information to a day of the month.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
senor_cardgage wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

I think it'd generally give you a nice idea. People generally know the current day of the week and current month, leaving only four or five options. People can also generally determine what week it is by thinking back about events and special days in the recent past. Hence, the calendar is only required to match this information to a day of the month.

It's also generally fairly straightforward to manually update a calendar to the correct date; rather trickier to manually update a watch to the correct time - the calendar serves more as a mnemonic for something you could track yourself without any external aids if needed, while a watch does something few unaided humans can.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote: Someone around you generally knows the date without looking it up, and otherwise just check your calendar.

You're going to depend upon some random stranger to tell you the date? Same objection to asking random strangers for directions when you're lost: a random stranger could very well be utterly insane!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:56 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote: Someone around you generally knows the date without looking it up, and otherwise just check your calendar.

You're going to depend upon some random stranger to tell you the date? Same objection to asking random strangers for directions when you're lost: a random stranger could very well be utterly insane!

Ask 5 random strangers and assume that if there's a strong correlation they're probably collectively fairly accurate.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:21 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:*stuff about calendars*
Spoiler:
senor_cardgage wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

I mainly use paper calendars to determine delivery dates. If I order $item today I can expect it in 5 weeks, *looks at calendar*, that'd be 23 okt. . The layout of paper calendars is perfect for that check.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:04 pm UTC

senor_cardgage wrote:
Spoiler:
Honestly, I don't see the point of putting anything in a spoiler tag. It's not like we're discussing movie review here. Just put the damn text out there for people to see.
Spoiler:
Funny how you used a spoiler to say that. lol, really. But the hidden part is what GLR, I mean, Randall Monroe did. Why doesn't he just post the text below each comic? It's either part of the fun or just what he does. No reason to dissuade me (or others) from doing the same with the tools the forum provides (the spoiler tag emulates this "hidden text").

Anyways, that's the last reply to that I plan to do. I have nothing else to say about Watches (this comic and subject) as I don't wear them and also dislike them. Smart phones are the future, so welcome to the future, baby!

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:52 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
serutan wrote:I like my watch. Much better than a Personal Enslavement Device :curmudgeon:

Pfft. That misconception stems from the even deeper misconception that just because someone can communicate with you means they can tell you what to do.

I like my watch, too.
I used it a few moments, ago.

What is the first thing you are asked?
......Think about it. Is it important?
Spoiler:
When?

I am so old fashioned.
I look at my watch and write the number down.
If it is Really important, I try to write the number down.

Who am I kidding?
If it is Really important, there is no time for writing.

I'll take my watch.
When I am carrying Nothing else, I usually have that stupid watch on.

The battery last longer than a cell phone.
It does not need to connect to the outside world.

It has a sweeping second hand.
So useful in stressful situations.

It has a light of some kind.
So useful at night.

It is water resistant.
It is resistant enough for me.

It goes in Cold water.
It goes in Hot water.

It works for about two years on one charging.
I like the thing. It does enough.

So far, it has been reliable.
What if my Watch starts lying to me, again??

Then it's off to the Big City to Talk Watch, again. (I suppose)

....If a Dictionary lies to me.
I may never know I was lied to.

...If a Watch lies to me,
I figure it out as soon as I talk to People.

People have a very Strong Collective Hunch.
We are Hysterical. Have you seen People?

People will reset their watches to the Wrong time.
Why?

Because The Big Clock can't be Wrong.
How funny is That?

The World Wide Web takes some of the Local Fun away.
No one questions Authority with any Authority, anymore.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

danix

Postby danix » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:39 am UTC

Duban wrote:The iWatch is far from the first smart watch to come out. You know what happened to all the other smartwatch designs before it? They died because the smart watch is a TERRIBLE idea. Smart devices are too heavy to put on a wrist watch and smart phones can do pretty much anything a smart watch can do, but more convenient. If this takes off it'll be more proof that people will buy any shit Apple sells them...

Not necessarily. The Casio DataBank was very popular, and it would be kind of a smartwatch in the sense that it was a watch-sized PDA, predating even the PDA term! There's also the Timex Data Link watch, which I still have to this day. Both of these devices had battery life measured in years.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:17 am UTC

danix wrote:

Not necessarily. The Casio DataBank was very popular, and it would be kind of a smartwatch in the sense that it was a watch-sized PDA, predating even the PDA term! There's also the Timex Data Link watch, which I still have to this day. Both of these devices had battery life measured in years.

I agree, with Danix.
I have been wearing an iPod on my wrist.

It's no trouble.
It does not fit correctly.
The case was built for a larger man.

I can image a device that is this size and worn on the wrist...

That does what?
I have no idea.

I am amazed at what this one can do.
With google glasses it might really be a handy thing to have.

A reliable water and shock resistant watch will always have a place as back up.
Will it not?

Maybe, not for City people.
They don't need that sort of thing.

If the electricity and wi-fi die,
They can decide what time they want it to be Democratically.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:25 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

A sundial can actually tell you both time and date. The position of the shadow gives you time, the length of the shadow gives you date. Without a sundial you can do the same from the position of the sun in the sky (direction gives you time, height above the horizon gives you date). At night constellations can be used in the same way. Of course this only works if you know your location and orientation. Your orientation you can determine with a compass. Location is a bit tricker. If you know the date it's easy to determine location (look at where the sun rises or sets). I don't think you can do it if you don't know the date, but I'm rapidly running into the limits of my knowledge on this subject here.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

HES

Postby HES » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 am UTC

I think if you have any two of date/time/location/orientation you can figure out the other two.
He/Him/His Image

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:54 am UTC

I can press a button on my Pebble, and it sends a signal over Bluetooth to the Pebble app on my phone, which sends a signal to the Clementine Remote app on my phone, which sends a signal over WiFi to my laptop, which is sent to the Clementine music player, which according to the signal stops or starts or changes the playing of a song, which is (or isn't) sent via Bluetooth to my headphones :D Yay smartwatches!
(Or I can just control the music playing on my phone with the Pebble, or with the buttons on the headphones, but that's not convoluted enough.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”