1421: "Future self"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KarenRei

Re: 1421: "Future self"

Postby KarenRei » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
wolfticket wrote:
fibonacci wrote:#If it ain't Bjork, don't fix it.

It's not pronounced like that you Björk :)

Oh yeah :mrgreen: how do you know he didn't reely truuly mean "All other music is fine, but please do something about that wacko from Iceland" ?

Is Björk still the only musician from Iceland most people in the US know? So, for example, not Sigur Rós, not Of Monsters and Men, or any of the others? I mean, pretty much every other person here is an incredible musician with their own band. Or twelve. ;) There's one drummer, Magnús Trygvason Eliasson, who's in something like 20 bands, all of them (at least all that I've heard so far) really great.

BTW, in case you're curious, Björk pronounced sort of like "Byerdk" and it means "birch", it's a common name. And she's more popular overseas than she is here in Iceland, she rarely even makes it on Vinsældarlisti Rásar 2 (Icelandic charts) for example, and nor are her CD sales significant here (people would generally much rather buy something like Mugison, Ásgeir Trausti, etc). If you want to pack a concert you book someone like Skálmöld or Mammút. Björk just sort of does her own thing in whatever magical elf land she's currently residing in.

robonun

Postby robonun » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

I've heard a few songs from Of Monsters and Men but never knew they were from Iceland, and Sigur Rós I only know by name, not by music. Björk gets most of her attention here due to her entertaining fashion choices.

XKCD teaches me new stuff all the time. If only it could teach me to understand the coding jokes. :D

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

I love what Björk said when she wore a swan dress to something:

What surprises me is that they thought I was trying to fit in but got it wrong, that I expected everyone to be wearing peacock dresses and gorilla outfits! What they don't mention is that I had brought six ostrich eggs with me and I was dropping them carefully on the red carpet.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

Code: Select all

# Dear Future Self,
# I wrote this thinking I'd be long gone by the time it needed updating
# Sorry. :(

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:07 pm UTC

As an American, I think Björk was better known for being odd, as parodied in the SNL Jeopardy skit (2002) which had Winona Ryder pretending to be her. I don't remember any of her songs; I just looked at her discography and none of them seem familiar, at a time when I was listening to a lot of different artists, alternative rock and all that. I just remember her being a phenomenon in the mid-to-late 90's.

And I thought she was Swedish, like A-Ha (apparently Norwegian) and ABBA. And Ace of Base (Swedish, but which I actually thought was Danish.)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

Sigur Ros' "Hoppipolla" might be familiar to a lot of unsuspecting people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoppipolla ... television

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_DQKCDgeM
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Sigur Ros' "Hoppipolla" might be familiar to a lot of unsuspecting people.

This video is not available in my country. YouTube expresses sorrow about that.

operagost

Postby operagost » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
Xenomortis wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:but I know my (and Excel's) limits

There are no limits to the pain and suffering that will be wrought by the Monster Excel Spreadsheet of Doom.

Hmm, that just might be the name of my next kludge Rock Band :twisted:

FTFY

"Friends Don't Let Friends Use Excel." -- cellocgw

To me, the scary part about this comic is the thought that Future Self forgot he wrote those messages when he was Past Self.

I remember once, about 2001, I was running OS/2. I ran into some sort of esoteric problem, and couldn't remember how to fix it. I went searching through the usual comp.os.os2.* newsgroups and found a post that seemed to have the solution. I read the author's name--

It was me.

kalira

Postby kalira » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

JudeMorrigan wrote:In short, the plural form of a word ending in -us depends on its declension and gender. da Doctah is assuming it's the actual Latin word prius, prioris, which is third declension neutral. Focus, foci is second declension masculine. speising is whimsically making it fourth declension masculine. Or possibly feminine.

*stares blankly at the explanation*

Nobody should know that much about Latin declensions... and that's coming from someone who has a Master's degree in linguistics. :P
plytho wrote:Isn't bowling just a subcategory of pottery?

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:Sigur Ros' "Hoppipolla" might be familiar to a lot of unsuspecting people.

This video is not available in my country. YouTube expresses sorrow about that.

Surely you can see at least one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... C3%ADpolla

I agree, Sigur Rós has become used so widely, I'd be surprised if you haven't heard anything by them.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:33 pm UTC

I did my own search and found a couple of vids I could see. I can honestly say I've never heard this tune before just now.

This reminds me of the discussion we had on another forum about how annoying it was to hear "Agadoo" everywhere, and everyone here in the States was saying "huh? what's that?"

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:03 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:"Agadoo"

It took me a while to realise what you meant. Then the memories came back - the ones that had taken years to suppress. Goddammit.
He/Him/His Image

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:29 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:Is Björk still the only musician from Iceland most people in the US know? So, for example, not Sigur Rós, not Of Monsters and Men, or any of the others?

I've listened to both Sigur Ros, as well as Of Monsters and Men (live, to boot. They gave a great show). I've only heard of Bjork. If I've heard her music, I've never been able to identify it with her.

I'm aware that there's tons of Icelandic bands, although my foray into them has not yet expanded much further than the above.

KarenRei wrote:Surely you can see at least one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... C3%ADpolla

I have a special penchant for the music video featured in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ

bemasher

Postby bemasher » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:37 am UTC

I was immediately reminded of something when I read this comic. I've been working with FFTW's codelet generator for a bit now and found this gem:

Code: Select all

(* Found in: fftw3/genfft/expr.ml#L25 *)

(* I will regret this hack : *)
(* NEWS: I did *)
type transcendent = I | MULTI_A | MULTI_B | CONJ

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
KarenRei wrote:Is Björk still the only musician from Iceland most people in the US know? So, for example, not Sigur Rós, not Of Monsters and Men, or any of the others?

I've listened to both Sigur Ros, as well as Of Monsters and Men (live, to boot. They gave a great show).

Haha, well, I'm in one of their music videos, and once in the middle of a concert Nana had the whole crowd applaud me ;)

I'm aware that there's tons of Icelandic bands, although my foray into them has not yet expanded much further than the above.

It's one of those things where one doesn't even know where to begin. I mean, for example, I've been on sort of a Mono Town (effect-rich alternative) and Skálmöld (viking folk metal) and Mammút (rock) kick recently, though the last concerns I went to were Pétur Ben (rock) and Hjaltalín (alternative). I've had a bit of longing of late to go to a Mugison (blues rock) concert, Jónas Sigurðsson (brass/rock) too, although on Saturday I'll be having to choose between several other good ones - Boogie Trouble (disco), Snorri Helgason (folk rock), and FM Belfast (electronic/dance). I think Snorri's fine, but I'm really interested because he's performing with Magnús Tryggvason Eliasson, "Iceland's drummer", who's in bands like Tilbury (alternative), Moses Hightower (funk), Borko (electronic-influenced rock), and a bunch of others. Speaking of Borko, the singer was once part of Seabear (alternative), whose members became more successful after they broke up, forming new groups like Sóley (light alternative), Sin Fang (alternative), and Kimono (metal with some trance aspects). I think one or more of them has also been involved with Múm (post rock). I can never get enough Nóra (effect-rich alternative), and Bang Gang (alternative) is nice to chill out too, though Ásgeir Trausti (alternative) is too. Agent Fresco (metal) simply rocks, as does Hellvar (metal). Sykur (electronic/dance) is Björk meets Lady Gaga, while Valdimar (brass/alternative) is like a trumpet-playing lumberjack rocker and Retro Stefson (fusion) makes me want ice cream. Oyama (shoegaze) is better than My Bloody Valentine and Vök (alternative/chillout) is just beautiful, though if you want emotive lady with a guitar then your band is Lay Low (folk/alternative) (although Pascal Pinon (folk/alternative) sure makes pretty music from that simple formula). Svavar Knútur (crooner) sings like an angel and does standup comedy between songs, Bellstop (alternative) is an Icelandic band from China, Kiriyama Family (80s rock) dresses like it's still 1994 and plays as if it's still 1984... even little kids get in on the scene. I could add hundreds more, but that's probably enough for now :)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:42 am UTC

I'm going to have to bookmark that post...

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:20 pm UTC

OK, so maybe Iceland isn't such a good idea at the moment....

Crap - sorry. The APOD this morning is a picture of a "Volcanic Light Pillar" in Iceland. Haven't posted enough to include the link.
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:53 pm UTC

Keyman wrote:OK, so maybe Iceland isn't such a good idea at the moment....

Crap - sorry. The APOD this morning is a picture of a "Volcanic Light Pillar" in Iceland. Haven't posted enough to include the link.

We also have lava fire tornadoes. And new volcanic craters growing the height of the statue of liberty (pedestal and all) every 12 days, and producing more lava in a week than Kilauea produces in a year. Rivers of lava with the flow rate of the lower Colorado River. And a caldera floor bigger than Manhattan which is currently dropping half a meter per day.

♥ my country :mrgreen:
Last edited by KarenRei on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:11 pm UTC, edited 5 times in total.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Doesn't look so bad until you realise that isn't a sunset. It's still beautiful, though.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

HES wrote:
Spoiler:

Doesn't look so bad until you realise that isn't a sunset. It's still beautiful, though.

Good FSM, that picture is beautiful.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

kalira wrote:
JudeMorrigan wrote:In short, the plural form of a word ending in -us depends on its declension and gender. da Doctah is assuming it's the actual Latin word prius, prioris, which is third declension neutral. Focus, foci is second declension masculine. speising is whimsically making it fourth declension masculine. Or possibly feminine.

*stares blankly at the explanation*

Nobody should know that much about Latin declensions... and that's coming from someone who has a Master's degree in linguistics. :P

Then what do you learn in linguistics education? :roll:
While I can't actively recall all Latin declension suffixi* anymore, they sure sound familiar and everyone from my class knew them (at some point in time) during secondary education. :wink:

†Why did I want to make suffices* of that? I ought to know it's just a (quasi) nominalised participle and those always go with first and second declension.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
HES wrote:
Spoiler:
Can't even 'quote' a link, yet.

Good FSM, that picture is beautiful.

OK, not sure I know "FSM" being new to the forum/fora/fori/foriae.
Is there a glossary...glossari...glossary....gloss-a-RAH-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha...
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

HES

Postby HES » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

Flying Spaghetti Monster isn't a fora specific thing. See also: $DEITY
He/Him/His Image

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:While I can't actively recall all Latin declension suffixi* anymore, they sure sound familiar and everyone from my class knew them (at some point in time) during secondary education. :wink:

†Why did I want to make suffices* of that? I ought to know it's just a (quasi) nominalised participle and those always go with first and second declension.

One suffix, two suffxviii, three suffxxvii, usw.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:57 am UTC

Concerning the eruption in Iceland, I made an XKCD-ish image for my volcano blog the other day showing how much lava has been erupted thusfar (and the pace is only picking up), done in a "if you stacked it all up into a cube" form of analogy:

The people at the bottom are to scale (two pixels)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:22 am UTC

operagost wrote:I remember once, about 2001, I was running OS/2. I ran into some sort of esoteric problem, and couldn't remember how to fix it. I went searching through the usual comp.os.os2.* newsgroups and found a post that seemed to have the solution. I read the author's name--

It was me.
Haha!
To me, running OS/2 in 2001 is an esoteric problem. (Actually, I did some volunteer <computery stuff> at a local radio station which was running a music scheduling system on OS/2 and I'm pretty sure that was a few years after 2001.)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:49 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:Concerning the eruption in Iceland, I made an XKCD-ish image for my volcano blog the other day showing how much lava has been erupted thusfar (and the pace is only picking up), done in a "if you stacked it all up into a cube" form of analogy:
[image]

Nice work! But that's one helluva crane. It's surprisingly hard to find out the height of the world's tallest crane (this page has some suggestions but nothing definitive; the Guinness Book of Records seems interested only in the longest jib, not the tallest tower. (These are closely related for a luffing crane, but not so much for a normal tower crane). Either way, I didn't find anything freestanding that came close to your 800m tall behemoth.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
KarenRei wrote:Concerning the eruption in Iceland, I made an XKCD-ish image for my volcano blog the other day showing how much lava has been erupted thusfar (and the pace is only picking up), done in a "if you stacked it all up into a cube" form of analogy:
[image]

Nice work! But that's one helluva crane. It's surprisingly hard to find out the height of the world's tallest crane (this page has some suggestions but nothing definitive; the Guinness Book of Records seems interested only in the longest jib, not the tallest tower. (These are closely related for a luffing crane, but not so much for a normal tower crane). Either way, I didn't find anything freestanding that came close to your 800m tall behemoth.

Well yeah, there wouldn't be any freestanding cranes taller than the tallest freestanding structure in the world.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:37 am UTC

mathmannix wrote:
orthogon wrote:
[image]

Well yeah, there wouldn't be any freestanding cranes taller than the tallest freestanding structure in the world.

Fair point. I guess this betrays the fact that, however metric I try to be, I still think about heights above ground in feet, and that I've failed to take on board how ridiculously tall these recent skyscrapers are. 2,600ft makes me think "Wow, that's higher than most mountains in England", whereas 800m doesn't sound all that.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
mathmannix wrote:
orthogon wrote:
[image]

Fair point. I guess this betrays the fact that, however metric I try to be, I still think about heights above ground in feet, and that I've failed to take on board how ridiculously tall these recent skyscrapers are. 2,600ft makes me think "Wow, that's higher than most mountains in England", whereas 800m doesn't sound all that.

Oh, come on, that's easier in metric. The tallest mountain in England (Scafell Pike) is just under 1000 meters tall.

As XKCD has pointed out before, it's not about doing conversions in your head, it's about getting some new mental yardsticks. A big great dane is around meter tall. A short woman, 1 1/2 meters tall. A tall man, 2 meters tall. A residential floor is 3 meters tall, a commercial floor 4 meters tall, and an average giraffe about 5 meters tall. A high dive is about 10 meters tall. The clock tower of the parliament building / "big ben" is about 100 meters tall, about 10% taller than the Statue of Liberty. That's the same height as a typical old growth giant redwood. 1000 meters (1 km) is a good-size mountain. Everest is about 9 km. Airplanes usually cruise at about 10 km or a bit higher. Space officially starts at 100km, and the ISS is about 300km. 100 km is also the driving distance from London to Cambridge.

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:33 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:100 km is also the driving distance from London to Cambridge.

This fails in my brain because km are "engineer HES" units, and London to Cambridge is a "driver HES" distance.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:39 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:
orthogon wrote:Fair point. I guess this betrays the fact that, however metric I try to be, I still think about heights above ground in feet, and that I've failed to take on board how ridiculously tall these recent skyscrapers are. 2,600ft makes me think "Wow, that's higher than most mountains in England", whereas 800m doesn't sound all that.

Oh, come on, that's easier in metric. The tallest mountain in England (Scafell Pike) is just under 1000 meters tall.

As XKCD has pointed out before, it's not about doing conversions in your head, it's about getting some new mental yardsticks. A big great dane is around meter tall. A short woman, 1 1/2 meters tall. A tall man, 2 meters tall. A residential floor is 3 meters tall, a commercial floor 4 meters tall, and an average giraffe about 5 meters tall. A high dive is about 10 meters tall. The clock tower of the parliament building / "big ben" is about 100 meters tall, about 10% taller than the Statue of Liberty. That's the same height as a typical old growth giant redwood. 1000 meters (1 km) is a good-size mountain. Everest is about 9 km. Airplanes usually cruise at about 10 km or a bit higher. Space officially starts at 100km, and the ISS is about 300km. 100 km is also the driving distance from London to Cambridge.

I was with you up to the high dive, but after that I started having to convert. I think for things under about 10m, I can see the vertical dimension as being just a rotated version of the horizontal; after all things that size are amenable to being laid down or stood up. When things start getting really tall though, there's a qualitative difference between the dimensions. It's really hard to imagine where Nelson would end up if his eponymous column were laid down on Trafalgar Square, and looking down from a 10m board the water looks a lot further away than one side of a swimming pool looks from the other, thanks to our natural fear of heights.

I always remembered Scafell Pike as the rather pleasing and easy-to-remember 3210ft, but the Great Wiki says it's a foot shorter.

Pseudo-edit: HES has made a similar point: just because quantities happen to have the same dimensions or even describe the same physical quantities doesn't mean we think about them the same way. This is surely why it took so long for the SI to be invented, and why people throughout history kept feeling the need to invent units of measure for things that already had a perfectly good unit.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:02 pm UTC

KarenRei wrote:As XKCD has pointed out before, it's not about doing conversions in your head, it's about getting some new mental yardsticks. A big great dane is around meter tall. A short woman, 1 1/2 meters tall. A tall man, 2 meters tall. [...]

I am amused by the use of "yardsticks" in this post. :mrgreen:

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

Mikeski wrote:
KarenRei wrote:As XKCD has pointed out before, it's not about doing conversions in your head, it's about getting some new mental yardsticks. A big great dane is around meter tall. A short woman, 1 1/2 meters tall. A tall man, 2 meters tall. [...]

I am amused by the use of "yardsticks" in this post. :mrgreen:

I just remembered that we used to have "metre sticks" in the classroom when I was at primary school. Until now I'd never connected "metre stick" with "yardstick", probably because it's two words rather than one (which directly contradicts what I said in another thread...)

There are also milestones, which ought to be a unit of moment or work.

Stig Hemmer

Postby Stig Hemmer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

I have written a comment pretty much like the one in the comic.

Only "to whoever have to maintain this in the future".

We had to take a program written in Algol, a language we didn't know but had to figure out from context. The program was doing some advance mathematics we didn't understand, and we had to convert it into Pascal. (A popular language at the time, but pretty dead these days, ironically)

The only reason we were even marginally certain the program worked was because we had some example input/output pairs that we managed to get right after a while.

We left a comment basically saying that the program worked as was but really should be rewritten by somebody who understood the maths. :|

I am glad I was not the future maintainer of that code.
This is not true.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”