1422: "My Phone is Dying"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quizatzhaderac

1422: "My Phone is Dying"

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

When it explodes, it will cast off its outer layers, leaving behind nothing but a slowly fading PalmPilot, calculator, or two-way pager.

Barret-guy's phone is a dying star, which gets hotter both when fuel is added and when it runs out of fuel; because reasons.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

PinkShinyRose

Re: 1422: "My Phone is Dying"

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:32 pm UTC

What's a two-way pager? I thought a pager is the thing that rings when someone calls but requires you to take the call by calling them back with a phone, how does that work two ways? Wouldn't it then just be a phone?

I think this would fit better with the Samsung Galaxy Star (or Samsung Star, Star II or Star III).

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

Clearly, the iUniverse is expanding.

alanbbent

Postby alanbbent » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:43 pm UTC

I told someone on the plane that my LG G3 was the new iPhone. Nobody believed me, but a few heads turned, and since it has the same size screen, there were a few seconds before the realization set it.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:22 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:What's a two-way pager? I thought a pager is the thing that rings when someone calls but requires you to take the call by calling them back with a phone, how does that work two ways? Wouldn't it then just be a phone?

The most basic pager is a box that beeps when someone somewhere else presses a button - more commonly, they'll display a short message or a phone number. The main difference between feature-rich pagers and cell phones is that pagers aren't tracked by the network - a page is either broadcast to the entire network, or not at all, while a cell phone is only contacted by the nearest tower.

A two-way pager, in particular, is designed to be able to send as well as receive pages - which can be simple preset codes or freely composed text messages (in principle, you could also send larger data files but that starts consuming excessive bandwidth)

The Devils Engineer

Postby The Devils Engineer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:51 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:When it explodes, it will cast off its outer layers, leaving behind nothing but a slowly fading PalmPilot, calculator, or two-way pager.

Ahhhhhhh....a Palmpilot......one of the great tech tragedies of our time. You young'uns don't remember, but it was a wonderful productivity device (task list, phone list, stylus handwriting recognition, preliminary web connectivity via WiFi) perfectly suited for its task and supported by a motivated group of developers and enthusiasts. The Company was destroyed by shortsighted managers who failed to support its user base when problems started arising and who failed to integrate their product seamlessly with a cellphone. Apple's iPhone could have been crushed with a reliable Palm OS system mated to a cellphone. Alas, they only had one shot at it and they failed. I've still got one around somewhere.

G.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”

― Mark Twain

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

iPhones are now subject to the Chandrasekhar Limit? We're doomed I say... DOOMED!
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Okay, why would charging it make it die faster? I assume there's an astrophysics parallel, but I'm not thinking what that would be.

alanbbent

Postby alanbbent » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

The Devils Engineer wrote:Ahhhhhhh....a Palmpilot......one of the great tech tragedies of our time. You young'uns don't remember, but it was a wonderful productivity device (task list, phone list, stylus handwriting recognition, preliminary web connectivity via WiFi) perfectly suited for its task and supported by a motivated group of developers and enthusiasts. The Company was destroyed by shortsighted managers who failed to support its user base when problems started arising and who failed to integrate their product seamlessly with a cellphone. Apple's iPhone could have been crushed with a reliable Palm OS system mated to a cellphone. Alas, they only had one shot at it and they failed. I've still got one around somewhere.

YES. I got a Palm Pilot (well, a Sony Clie that ran Palm OS) when I was in high school, because it was such a good machine with a fantastic community. I saved up my money and did tons of research and decided that was the device I wanted. I was a huge nerd, of course, for having it. And then the iPhone came out and suddenly PDAs became cool???

Just typing the word "Clie" whooshes me back to the excitement of having that thing. Truly a revolutionary device. I wept when Palm was vaporized.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:16 am UTC

ManaUser wrote:Okay, why would charging it make it die faster? I assume there's an astrophysics parallel, but I'm not thinking what that would be.

More massive stars burn faster. Mass is also star fuel. So adding fuel to a star makes it burn faster -- and of course hotter and brighter in turn.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:11 am UTC

Quick, pair this phone with a neutron phone and form a tight binary phone system. The neutron phone can strip off the outer layers of the expanding phone to prevent it from exploding.

Note that a significant amount of energy will be released in the form of deadly xray radiation.

Ken_g6

Postby Ken_g6 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 am UTC

Oh, now I see why my Android phone hasn't done this. Mine's so cheap and low-powered (single-core ARMv7) that it's basically a red dwarf. :wink:

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:09 am UTC

hamjudo wrote:Quick, pair this phone with a neutron phone and form a tight binary phone system. The neutron phone can strip off the outer layers of the expanding phone to prevent it from exploding.

Don't have a neutron phone. Will a white dwarf phone do instead?

(Type I(a) superphone? I'm unfamiliar with that model. What's it do?)
Last edited by dtilque on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:26 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
ManaUser wrote:Okay, why would charging it make it die faster? I assume there's an astrophysics parallel, but I'm not thinking what that would be.

More massive stars burn faster. Mass is also star fuel. So adding fuel to a star makes it burn faster -- and of course hotter and brighter in turn.

I knew that, but with 5V at ~1A, it will be gaining something in the neighborhood of a gram per millennium right? (give or take a few orders of magnitude, call it a "What if" estimate).

"What If" I plugged my Nissan Leaf directly into Hover dam, how long would it take to turn it into an electric Humvee?

chris857

Postby chris857 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:54 am UTC

hamjudo wrote:Quick, pair this phone with a neutron phone and form a tight binary phone system. The neutron phone can strip off the outer layers of the expanding phone to prevent it from exploding.

Note that a significant amount of energy will be released in the form of deadly xray radiation.

Aw shucks, then the phone would be shown to cause cancer.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:34 am UTC

When I saw the title, I couldn't help but remember the "Im dying Squirtle" pictures from 4chan circa '09
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:19 am UTC

Oh Beret Guy....

Everyone knows that all iPhones are black holes.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:42 am UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

I knew that, but with 5V at ~1A, it will be gaining something in the neighborhood of a gram per millennium right? (give or take a few orders of magnitude, call it a "What if" estimate).

"What If" I plugged my Nissan Leaf directly into Hover dam, how long would it take to turn it into an electric Humvee?

The Hover Dam? That would get you a blimp. :lol:
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 am UTC

dtilque wrote:Don't have a neutron phone.

Small, dense, nearly indestructible? I had one of those:
Spoiler:
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:33 pm UTC

Most simply, whatever form you inject energy into a star (or in this case, the stellar-equivalent iPhone), it ends up as heat. The hotter a star's core is, the faster fusion occurs, and thus the sooner it reaches its demise. Energy is also mass, and mass in a star equals gravitational compression, which equals higher fusion rates.

Comparing the rates of influx from a charger is irrelevant, since he wasn't talking about connecting a charger to a star, but to an iPhone thats behaving like a star.
Last edited by KarenRei on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

eviloatmeal wrote:
dtilque wrote:Don't have a neutron phone.

Small, dense, nearly indestructible? I had one of those:
Spoiler:

Of course, the reality would be just the opposite. Neutron stars are only stable because of the intense gravitation at their surface. If you had a chunk of neutron star on Earth's surface (such as a "neutron phone"), it's instantly explode and take out you and the city you live in.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:I knew that, but with 5V at ~1A, it will be gaining something in the neighborhood of a gram per millennium right? (give or take a few orders of magnitude, call it a "What if" estimate).

The point where analogy breaks down is that adding more fuel causes the star to burn faster. Charging a phone converts spent fuel back into usable fuel, converting the helium on a star back into hydrogen would also lengthen the star's life.

Adding mass geometrically increases a star's binding energy, therefore increasing it's heat geometrically relative to the fuel added. There's more fuel, but at a higher temperature so each kg of fuel supports more fusion.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

That expansion explanation also describes what happened to
Spoiler:
The TARDIS on Trenzalore

/Doctor Who
flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:28 pm UTC

Nah, the TARDIS was always that huge size. The Doctor explained it to Leela one episode: the TARDIS is actually just far away. In the episode to which you refer, it's the same angular size as always, but you have the rare ability to see the visual cues that tell you it's a huge police box far away, rather than a regular one close up.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

I've thought, ever since that Trenzalore episode, that if the TARDIS can be different sizes, it should be shrunk down to pocket-size after exiting, so the Doctor can just carry it around with him everywhere instead of leaving it parked in some random quarry on some random alien planet.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I've thought, ever since that Trenzalore episode, that if the TARDIS can be different sizes, it should be shrunk down to pocket-size after exiting, so the Doctor can just carry it around with him everywhere instead of leaving it parked in some random quarry on some random alien planet.

Of course he can, but he'll only do that once when it's absolutely redundant necessary for the plot and Davies a writer feels like it and the budget allows for the CGI shots. :P

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:I've thought, ever since that Trenzalore episode, that if the TARDIS can be different sizes, it should be shrunk down to pocket-size after exiting, so the Doctor can just carry it around with him everywhere instead of leaving it parked in some random quarry on some random alien planet.

Of course he can, but he'll only do that once when it's absolutely redundant necessary for the plot and Davies a writer feels like it and the budget allows for the CGI shots. :P

Maybe its size changes but its mass remains constant? That would be a bugger to carry around.

Also, inevitably: "Is that a TARDIS in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me?"
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:23 pm UTC

That's what Adams did with the Heart of Gold
He/Him/His Image

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:00 pm UTC

But then there's the risk of some animal swallowing it and... Oh. Never mind.

If the TARDIS were pocket-sized, then would anyone still inside exit pocket-sized, or normalize their dimensions upon exiting? It would be awkward to have someone explode from your pocket. The TARDIS probably has safeguards against that.

Back to stellar phones, could smart watches be considered moons?

I have an entire GALAXY in MY pocket. I hope an alien war fleet's not looking for it.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:If the TARDIS were pocket-sized, then would anyone still inside exit pocket-sized, or normalize their dimensions upon exiting?
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:32 pm UTC

There's an old Third Doctor & Jo Grant episode where some people have a device called a Miniscope with a compression field described very similarly to what the Eleventh Doctors says about the dying TARDIS on Trenzalore. The TARDIS itself somehow lands in the compressed space inside of it, which I guess is possible in the same way that a TARDIS can materialize inside of another TARDIS (which may itself in turn be inside the first TARDIS, as happened to the Doctor and Master's TARDIS's once… or just directly inside itself, as happened in a pair of minisodes from the Eleventh Doctor's era). The Miniscope was apparently banned by the Time Lords a long while back (but this pair of yokels somehow got their hands on one from a garage sale or something like that) which suggests it probably is similar technology; in fact I think the Third Doctor may even say as much, that the Miniscope's compression field is similar to what makes a TARDIS bigger on the inside.

Anyway, in that episode, various people and things manage to manually exit the Miniscope, and when they do so they are still miniaturized, but within seconds begin to grow back to their usual size as "the compression field wears off" or something to that effect. I'd think that if the TARDIS were to shrink in size (and everyone inside with it), anyone exiting it at that smaller size would react similarly: come out tiny, then quickly grow as the compression field wears off.

When I saw the title of the recent episode "Into the Dalek", I immediately joked that it would turn out that the TARDIS can change size at will like the Magic Schoolbus (Ms. Frizzle is a Time Lady, after all), and Twelve was going to take Clara on an exciting adventure in the Dalek's large intestine.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:03 am UTC

Trenzalore was described as the TARDIS' "bigger-on-the-inside" leaking a bit...

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:41 am UTC

alanbbent wrote:
The Devils Engineer wrote:Ahhhhhhh....a Palmpilot......one of the great tech tragedies of our time. You young'uns don't remember, but it was a wonderful productivity device (task list, phone list, stylus handwriting recognition, preliminary web connectivity via WiFi) perfectly suited for its task and supported by a motivated group of developers and enthusiasts. The Company was destroyed by shortsighted managers who failed to support its user base when problems started arising and who failed to integrate their product seamlessly with a cellphone. Apple's iPhone could have been crushed with a reliable Palm OS system mated to a cellphone. Alas, they only had one shot at it and they failed. I've still got one around somewhere.

YES. I got a Palm Pilot (well, a Sony Clie that ran Palm OS) when I was in high school, because it was such a good machine with a fantastic community. I saved up my money and did tons of research and decided that was the device I wanted. I was a huge nerd, of course, for having it. And then the iPhone came out and suddenly PDAs became cool???

You do realize you just revealed yourself to be a complete hipster, right?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”