1429: "Data"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Re: 1429: Data

Postby slinches » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:The datums are always right.

We commonly use "datums" in engineering parlance when referring to the plural of a reference datum* on a technical drawing. Although, I didn't know until just now that it's in the dictionary.

*Physical feature on a part that's used as a reference for measurement of dimensions.

Eternal Density

I'm not really into Stir Truck.

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:39 pm UTC

Singlular or plural, Americans consistently pronounct data wrong :P
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Besides, the topic clearly begs the question of whether the grammar pedants group is comprised of very unique individuals who won't tow the line when it comes to spelling "anal-compulsive" without an hyphen.

Did I get 'em all, at least for all intensive purposes, or have I misunderestimated you? Anyway, well done, sir.

SimonMoon5

Postby SimonMoon5 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:56 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Octopii.
Octopodes.
Octopuses.
Octopodiis?

Very few bus drivers are good at driving bi.

clarkbhm

Postby clarkbhm » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:22 am UTC

operagost wrote:
thevicente wrote:In some episodes there were apparently two Datas.

A fistful of them, even.

Groan. That was an awful episode. Except, I will admit, that the ending was very cleaver.

ilduri

Postby ilduri » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:28 am UTC

On the subject of an hypercorrection habit:

I have one of those North American accents where t is sometimes pronounced like d, so that, for exmaple, metal and medal sound the same. This one time I thought to myself, "Enunciating well sure is cool. I'm going to start pronouncing all my 't's properly!" It took a few days but very soon I was making the sound change without even thinking about it. Everything was going swimmingly, until I went to greet my friend Adam and said, "Hey Atom!"

Then additive became attitive.

"Dear Got in heaven, what's happening to me?!" I cried. (Okay, not really)

After that I decided the whole thing was a bit silly and stopped doing it. I guess I was never meant to speak "Briddish" English.

As an aside, metal and medal being homophones confused the heck out of me when I was a kid, since gold and silver are both metals and medals. I think I was like 11 or 12 before I figured out those were two different words.
"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
she/her

xtrakeencdragon

Re: I'm not really into Stir Truck.

Postby xtrakeencdragon » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:39 am UTC

But Data weren't even the subject!

Eternal Density wrote:Singlular or plural, Americans consistently pronounct data wrong :P

I dunno, it has a short vowel in Latin; the Americans might be onto something. Status too.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:57 am UTC

ilduri wrote:As an aside, metal and medal being homophones confused the heck out of me when I was a kid, since gold and silver are both metals and medals. I think I was like 11 or 12 before I figured out those were two different words.
We'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you metalling kids!

(Best personal homophone story: my brother trying to cook and asking my grandmother to pass him the "nose dick spray".)

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:02 am UTC

Everyone knows if you pronounce your words different from the group, you don't belong there.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

cwDeici

Postby cwDeici » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:09 am UTC

This thread is getting me agitated... ;P I suppose a linguistics-bachelor will do that to you, even if you chose it under the English Language Studies instead of tasty literature just to shore up your grammar.

Anyway, DSN wasn't the most watched, but it is often rated as the highest quality Trekker series by fans.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:30 am UTC

Gee, I can't imagine why that would be....

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 pm UTC

ilduri wrote:On the subject of an hypercorrection habit:

I have one of those North American accents where t is sometimes pronounced like d, so that, for exmaple, metal and medal sound the same. This one time I thought to myself, "Enunciating well sure is cool. I'm going to start pronouncing all my 't's properly!" It took a few days but very soon I was making the sound change without even thinking about it. Everything was going swimmingly, until I went to greet my friend Adam and said, "Hey Atom!"

Then additive became attitive.

Yeah, I've found this particular hypercorrection creeping into my own speech from time to time as well.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Jakec

Postby Jakec » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:26 pm UTC

Tova wrote:Tsk. It should be "the most popular characters are data," obviously.

<gammarnazi>But it only lists one character, not multiple characters.</grammarnazi>

nyq

Postby nyq » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

SimonMoon5 wrote:
Very few bus drivers are good at driving bi.

You probably meant to say "good at driving bōs" (accusative case of second declension masculine plural) (when you are driving something, it is accusative case, not nominative)
So here it is, corrected version:

Very few bus drivers are good at driving bōs.

One can also notice that the word "driver" has an ending matching one of the second declension masculine patterns, so we can further improve your sentence:

Very few bus drivī are good at driving bōs.

Naturally, why stop there if we still have undeclined word of "bus" in the beginning of the sentence? We can easily turn it into genetive masculine plural!

Very few drivī of bōrum are good at driving bōs.

Now we are left with one more undeclined word: driving. "good at driving" is clearly a locative case. Sadly though, there is no Latin declension for words that end with -ing...

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:21 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:This made me think of Gollum's "pocketses" and "hobbitses"; <snip/> Or is Gollum just terminally confused regarding grammatical number?
I don't think it works like a double negative. I think it really is a confusion of grammatical number. I'd like to think that if he found something in a cave and came to realize that something can have more than it appears, that he would never trust that a single pocket didn't have another pocket inside that (like some blue jeans do), so he better pluralize everything as it's probably more accurate.

Eternal Density wrote:Singlular or plural, Americans consistently pronounct data wrong :P
I assume you mean like "da-da" (daddy). "Da-ta" would only be correct if you were Data's child. That one female intelligent lifeform that he had as a daughter would suffice.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Everyone knows if you pronounce your words different from the group, you don't belong there.

It's a bit of a shibboleth...

Znirk

Postby Znirk » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:49 pm UTC

SimonMoon5 wrote:Very few bus drivers are good at driving bi.

Well, bus in particular was pretty thoroughly declined about 100 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motor_Bus

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:17 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:Gee, I can't imagine why that would be....

That's the weirdest picture of Garak I've ever seen.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:17 pm UTC

azule wrote:
I assume you mean like "da-da" (daddy). "Da-ta" would only be correct if you were Data's child. That one female intelligent lifeform that he had as a daughter would suffice.
I assume you're making a different joke to me, which I don't get.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:31 am UTC

I didn't really get your joke, then. I thought the subject was the pronunciation of "data". I assume most non-Americans pronounce it with "aw" for the a. I pronounce it "day-tuh".
For my joke, it's "daw-taw"...which is really close to "daw-daw", dada, the baby form of "daddy".

I'll be here explaining jokes all week, folks.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:33 am UTC

azule wrote:I didn't really get your joke, then. I thought the subject was the pronunciation of "data". I assume most non-Americans pronounce it with "aw" for the a. I pronounce it "day-tuh".
For my joke, it's "daw-taw"...which is really close to "daw-daw", dada, the baby form of "daddy".

daw?
No, it's dar-ta.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:34 am UTC

Znirk wrote:Well, bus in particular was pretty thoroughly declined about 100 years ago.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motor_Bus

A classic, to be sure, but I like Dr. Corré's modern version better.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
azule wrote:I didn't really get your joke, then. I thought the subject was the pronunciation of "data". I assume most non-Americans pronounce it with "aw" for the a. I pronounce it "day-tuh".

daw?
No, it's dar-ta.
I've noticed that that "r" you put in there isn't really an "r" but a clue to who to pronounce the vowel. Anyways, dar-ta sounds a bit like daughter (with a relaxed enunciation at the end). Okay, so now we know nothing still about the joke. Oh well.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:19 pm UTC

I hate to be "that guy", and all but ...
cellocgw wrote:... very unique individuals ...

Technically, you shouldn't qualify 'unique'. Things are either unique, or they aren't.

cellocgw wrote:... spelling "anal-compulsive" without an hyphen.

And the 'h' in 'hyphen' should be pronounced, so the article you want is 'a' rather than 'an'.

Also, any real Star Trek fan knows that Lone Star and Barf are the best characters.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:I hate to be "that guy", and all but ...

Technically, you shouldn't qualify 'unique'. Things are either unique, or they aren't.

And the 'h' in 'hyphen' should be pronounced, so the article you want is 'a' rather than 'an'.

Did you happen to notice what this comic was about?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:... without an hyphen.

Yeah, the thread is about grammar-trolling, so, you know, YHBT. In fact Cello had more in there that you missed:
  • Misuse of beg the question (not strictly wrong anymore: this error is so widespread it has become legitimate usage)
  • Using is comprised of to mean comprises (ditto: comprise now seems to have both meanings)
  • Misinterpreting the idiom toe the line (i.e., walk along a line so closely that your toes are always on it) by spelling it tow
  • The term anal-compulsive, an apparent mash of anal-retentive and obsessive-compulsive
HTH, HAND. (:

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:Also, any real Star Trek fan knows that Lone Star and Barf are the best characters.

Gahhhh. You sir, hurt my head.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

goofy

Postby goofy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

Yablo wrote:Technically, you shouldn't qualify 'unique'. Things are either unique, or they aren't.

Technically, one of the meanings of "unique" is "unusual, rare", which can be qualified.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:59 am UTC

If I'm alone, can I be any more alone? Alone in a room, alone in the house, alone in the whole town because everyone else evacuated. I'm not sure which definition of "unique" is so restricted, but there are probably cases for all of the defs where "very" is very apropos.

HES

Postby HES » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:30 am UTC

Unique within [small group] is different to unique within [large group] and unique within universe
He/Him/His Image

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:41 am UTC

Is this comic unique? Well, it's make up of pixels is in fact unique. But, what of its content? Explainxkcd says there are at least two others on similar topics, plus the Star Trek theme, the "My hobby" theme, etc. I don't think it literally duplicated anything, maybe using some of the same words (such as Kirk). So conclusively this is unique...but not really that unique. Pedants satisfied? Ped-ants, sounds like a bad word, btw.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:44 am UTC

In the restricted sense of "not identical to anything else", it's true that "unique" isn't gradable. However, that's not usually the only way people mean it, and X could be "more unique" than Y if X is unique in more ways than Y or if X is more different from everything else than Y is. And then something that is "very unique" would be "more unique" than many other unique things.
---

(he/him/his)

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:14 am UTC

Sorry for being late to the party, but i would have thought that the third most popular ST character were Seven of Nine.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:32 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:However, that's not usually the only way people mean it,

Quite often people use "unique" in a tautology, if it's taken in its literal meaning.
Like in: "He is a unique human being."

That's the cases where "unique" is actually gradable.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 am UTC

The source for the ranking is possibly from:
http://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/ ... characters
... where Data, Picard and Kirk are currently one, two, and three.

Before the reboot, Spock was the typical list topper.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:28 am UTC

Also, any real Star Trek fan knows that Lone Star and Barf are the best characters.

Dunno about "that guy"-ishness, but you certainly got WHOOOSHed
Not to mention that you missed about 37 other grammatical errors in my original sentence.

ETA: Isn't "Barf" what happens after too much "Lone Star" ? :mrgreen:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:39 pm UTC

I'm glad I don't know of these characters.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Did you happen to notice what this comic was about?

I did, in fact.

cellocgw wrote:Dunno about "that guy"-ishness, but you certainly got WHOOOSHed
Not to mention that you missed about 37 other grammatical errors in my original sentence.

While I tend to notice errors in punctuation, grammar, and spelling, I try not to call people out on them. This thread is a special case, however, and I figured picking a couple would be plenty for a contribution to the thread.

azule wrote:I'm glad I don't know of these characters.

Well, we can't have you being glad. Barf and Lone Starr are characters from Spaceballs. They are parody versions of Chewbacca and Han Solo from Star Wars. By calling them the best Star Trek characters, I was mocking Star Trek and Star Wars fans at the same time while also implying that I was one.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Eternal Density

Re: 1429: "Data"

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 am UTC

I'm more into Space Janitors myself. Season 3 started last week!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:40 am UTC

Yablo wrote:
azule wrote:I'm glad I don't know of these characters.

Well, we can't have you being glad. Barf and Lone Starr are characters from Spaceballs. They are parody versions of Chewbacca and Han Solo from Star Wars. By calling them the best Star Trek characters, I was mocking Star Trek and Star Wars fans at the same time while also implying that I was one.
Oh! I know of them! If those were real ST or SW characters I would have been unhappy. They're still terrible names, but yeah. Thanks for explaining that. :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”