1438: "Houston"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chris Dude70

1438: "Houston"

Postby Chris Dude70 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:12 am UTC

Title Text: 'Oh, hey Mom. No, nothing important, just at work.'

Who calls these days? Don't you know how to text?
Last edited by Chris Dude70 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:12 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Envelope Generator

Re: 1438: "Houston"

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:41 am UTC

What terrible service. Fortunately the customer is free to switch to another space supplier.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:56 am UTC

It could be worse: At least the ground-rep speaks English.
In all fairness...

jano

Postby jano » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:36 am UTC

Forgot to use the code word Shibboleet
Spoiler:

alvinhochun

Postby alvinhochun » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:19 am UTC

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 am UTC

Has Randall fallen out with NASA for some reason?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

nigenet
Location: Sunny Buxton, Derbyshire, UK (Where the water comes from)

Postby nigenet » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:35 am UTC

"You are having a bad problem and you will not come back from space today"
"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of him..."

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:02 am UTC

Criminal negligence is funny now?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Antonio_13

Postby Antonio_13 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 am UTC

This seems awfully dark for XKCD.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:55 am UTC

Others must agree, because this thread is going real slow.

I think it must mean something else. "Stirring"? "Hey, Mom"? I can only guess it's some sort of game. Mom shows up while he's "just working". I think he's at home, that's where moms are.

No one know the reference?

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 am UTC

azule wrote: I can only guess it's some sort of game. Mom shows up while he's "just working". I think he's at home, that's where moms are.

He hangs up because he has another call, presumably from his mum.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:20 am UTC

Antonio_13 wrote:This seems awfully dark for XKCD.

You must be new here!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:22 am UTC

Just noticed that he says "I've got". Is that characteristically New England? I always thought EN-US usage was "I have" or "I've gotten". (In this case, "I've gotten" wouldn't really work, but he could say "I have another call".)

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 am UTC

It's not exclusive to New England. Maybe it's new English. I think, you must be thinking of "standard/formal" English. In spoken (and now written) English, "I've got" is the de facto standard.

orthogon wrote:
azule wrote: I can only guess it's some sort of game. Mom shows up while he's "just working". I think he's at home, that's where moms are.

He hangs up because he has another call, presumably from his mum.
Yeah, the "other call". Okay, he's at work with his dual monitors and headset. Maybe ED is fully right.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Geheee

Postby Geheee » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:49 am UTC

Maybe this is related to the news that NASA has launched a new library full of sound recordings.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:01 am UTC

Apparently it's just that I notice "gotten" when I hear or see it, because it's not common in British English; in fact, according to Google ngrams, "got" is much more common than "gotten" in both dialects. It looks like "gotten" is only used when it's properly the pp of "get", e.g. "it will get tangled/it has gotten tangled", "I am getting angry/I shouldn't have gotten angry". In the set phrase "To have got [something]" meaning "to have [something]", it's always "got".

Interesting aside: the specific comparison of "got tangled" and "gotten tangled" reveals an overall peak around 1990 with a dramatic decline afterwards; can this be attributed to the introduction of Bluetooth headphones?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 am UTC

Coyne wrote:It could be worse: At least the ground-rep speaks English.

Phone support people generally speak fluent English, it's just not always in an accent you can understand very well.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

This is something I would have expected from BHG.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

I had this problem the other day. I called PPL (Pennsylvania Power & Light) to tell them some chavs, probably with ASBOs for all I care, were chucking johnnies full of something (that looked like Tizer) at our mum's caravan and her telly was on the fritz so could they send out one of their geezers to have a butcher's? We did call the rozzers but it's like they don't like a palaver so they didn't do sweet Fanny Adams. They told me they didn't understand a word I was saying, I told them it was the Queen's Own and maybe if they couldn't twig what I was going on about, maybe they shouldn't be here but they should shufti over to the old dear's and sort it out.

English.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:

I had this problem the other day. I called PPL (Pennsylvania Power & Light) to tell them some chavs, probably with ASBOs for all I care, were chucking johnnies full of something (that looked like Tizer) at our mum's caravan and her telly was on the fritz so could they send out one of their geezers to have a butcher's? We did call the rozzers but it's like they don't like a palaver so they didn't do sweet Fanny Adams. They told me they didn't understand a word I was saying, I told them it was the Queen's Own and maybe if they couldn't twig what I was going on about, maybe they shouldn't be here but they should shufti over to the old dear's and sort it out.

English.

What, and they really hadn't a scoobie what you were blathering about? Their dog and bone must've been on the blink.

Primis

Postby Primis » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:55 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:What terrible service. Fortunately the customer is free to switch to another space supplier.

<joke type="Comcast">
So If I understand correctly, you don't want to be with the space supplier with the best flight record?
Help me understand why you don't want NASA.

</joke>
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:56 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:This is something I would have expected from BHG.

Well, if the dress code doesn't allow him to wear a hat while working...

Canonical

Postby Canonical » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

This one was sort of "meh" to me. Being an aged Tech Crone and having lived through the Apollo 13 Experience™, it doesn't strike me as particularly funny. Kind of like making a Pearl Harbor joke to my parents, I suppose.

ChicagoGuy

Postby ChicagoGuy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:

English.

What, and they really hadn't a scoobie what you were blathering about? Their dog and bone must've been on the blink.

Created an account just to let you know that you old chinas gave me such a giraffe, I was afraid I might jimmy in me jekylls. Bloody brill, the lot of you!

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:20 pm UTC

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but they never said, "Houston, we have a problem." That was from the movie Apollo 13.

The direct quote was: "Ok Houston, I believe we've had a problem here. (This is Houston, say again please). Houston we've had a problem."

This one (along with the whole "That's one small step for *a* man" thing) get under my skin. Don't ask me why.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:23 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:

English.

Hmph.... [runs off to check out the glossary appendix to Clockwork Orange] ... not the same English used by droogs. Not at all.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:25 pm UTC

File this one under "Too Lazy to Look it Up" :

DId the O2 failure occur after the CM flip & dock to LEM maneuver or before? I don't remember.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm UTC

Bad customer service? In Houston? Might it be... "What would happen if NASA were taken over by HostGator?"

DennyMo

Postby DennyMo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:48 pm UTC

I just figured it was a variation on "If millenials ran NASA."

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:51 pm UTC

Top 5 Tips For Space Travel Nasa Doesn't Want You To Know!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

Hey, I think one of my friends works with that guy! Not the one who is not coming back from space today, but the customer disservice guy.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

Stargazer71 wrote:Maybe I'm nitpicking, but they never said, "Houston, we have a problem." That was from the movie Apollo 13.

The direct quote was: "Ok Houston, I believe we've had a problem here. (This is Houston, say again please). Houston we've had a problem."

This one (along with the whole "That's one small step for *a* man" thing) get under my skin. Don't ask me why.

Sometimes, what matters isn't what somebody said, but what they ought to have said. Sure, every so often an Oscar Wilde comes along and produces perfectly formed morsels of language, but for everyone else most things they come out with can use a bit of enhancement. Armstrong's famous one liner is a case in point. (BTW you clearly feel strongly, but which way? It doesn't seem like the great man himself was too sure what he'd said. Given that he'd apparently only decided on his first words a few seconds earlier, we're lucky he didn't say what The Onion reported).

alanbbent

Postby alanbbent » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:File this one under "Too Lazy to Look it Up" :

DId the O2 failure occur after the CM flip & dock to LEM maneuver or before? I don't remember.

After. I believe they were most of the way to the moon when it happened.

richP

Postby richP » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:46 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:

English.

Beats me. The only British idiom I know is that "fag" means "cigarette."

Oh yea? well someone tell this cigarette here...

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm UTC

I'm not getting how this was even intended to be funny.

And yeah, major geek demerits for getting the quote wrong.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:53 pm UTC

I found it one of the funniest strips in a good while, specifically because it's so balls-out evil. Like in the old days.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:58 pm UTC

DennyMo wrote:I just figured it was a variation on "If millenials ran NASA."

Seems about right, but pretty uncharacteristic of xkcd. Randall usually lands heavily on the side that there's nothing wrong with the younger generation and anyone who says otherwise is just living in the past. It's one of his things, much like how about half the people in IT are women. (Or maybe I've been misinterpreting that one all along and really it's that half the people in IT are dudes with ponytails. That's more likely, come to think of it.)

Or perhaps NASA hired Randall and Dante from Clerks.
Zylon wrote:I'm not getting how this was even intended to be funny.

Yeah maybe it would be funnier if it were a 911 dispatcher. It'd be basically the same joke. And we all know it's hilarious when emergency responders don't take their job seriously. Almost as funny as IEDs.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

Stargazer71 wrote:Maybe I'm nitpicking, but they never said, "Houston, we have a problem." That was from the movie Apollo 13.

And for my 200th post, maybe I'm being nitpicking but the line from the Apollo 13 movie was "Houston, we've had a problem."

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:48 pm UTC

The line connecting the dialogue to the picture of the Earth doesn't seem to be pointing at Houston in Texas. Maybe the astronaut has dialled the wrong number and he's just talking to some random person called Houston.

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:50 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

Sometimes, what matters isn't what somebody said, but what they ought to have said. Sure, every so often an Oscar Wilde comes along and produces perfectly formed morsels of language, but for everyone else most things they come out with can use a bit of enhancement. Armstrong's famous one liner is a case in point. (BTW you clearly feel strongly, but which way? It doesn't seem like the great man himself was too sure what he'd said. Given that he'd apparently only decided on his first words a few seconds earlier, we're lucky he didn't say what The Onion reported).

I strongly prefer the quote, "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

Several reasons for this:

1) That is what he intended to say, and he thought that he said it.
2) He very well may have said it, but it is impossible to know for sure. There are two explanations for why the word "a" was missed (as a slip of the brain or poor recording equipment) and both are entirely possible.
3) If you take out the word "a", it makes no f***ing sense! Seriously. :D

Without the word "a", it appears that "man" is simply a synonym for "mankind," and the quote becomes really dumb.

And while the Onion article is funny, I find the idea that was presented by "From the Earth to the Moon" to be funnier:

[discussing what Neil Armstrong will say when he steps onto the surface of the moon]
Frank Borman: What are you guys gonna say?
Michael Collins: If you had any balls, you'd say "Oh, my God, what is that thing?" then scream and cut your mike.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120570/quotes
Last edited by Stargazer71 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:54 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”