1460: "SMFW"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr What

1460: "SMFW"

Postby Dr What » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:21 am UTC

title="wtfw it's like smho tbfh, imdb."

Like what? :roll:

da Doctah

Re: 1460: "SMFW"

Postby da Doctah » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:26 am UTC

Acronymfinder.com can't come up with anything for SMFW.

SMHO, on the other hand, yields two possibilities: Survey of Mental Health Organizations, and Singing My Heart Out.

Neither of which makes any sense in context.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:26 am UTC

Oh, internet abbreviations...

I hate when my forum browsing is interrupted because I have to google what the hell "TAIS", "SIFLI", or "IANANNHOIA" mean. There are too many of them, and most of them are unnecessary. Unless you're able to cash in the nanoseconds saved by using the shorthand. In which case, someone point me in that direction.
Last edited by WilliamLehnsherr on Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:31 am UTC

lmol

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:37 am UTC

I don't get it. Urban dictionary says "Smoke More Fucking Weed" which makes sense...

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:40 am UTC

an acronym ALMOST makes sense.

Get it? it almost makes sense.

SMFW is close to suitable for work.
IMDB is close to in my humble opinion. unfortunately, it actually is a website for Internet Movie Data Base.

so either give up trying to find or... start making up your own based on these letters.

Have fun.

EDIT - IMDB could be in my dubious blathering
Last edited by San Fran Sam on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

WilliamLehnsherr

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:41 am UTC

Klear wrote:I don't get it. Urban dictionary says "Smoke More Fucking Weed" which makes sense...

Smoke more fucking weed an acronym almost makes sense. That doesn't make sense.

I presume the joke is on people who add on to existing abbreviations (if they're not just making their own up from scratch). In this case, "My Face When" with an unexplained S. People use a lot of obscure abbreviations on the internet. It kind of annoys me. That's probably why I like today's comic so much.

nimda

Postby nimda » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:59 am UTC

I read it as "Shaking my face when an acronym almost makes sense"

SMH = Shaking my head
MFW = My face when

SMFW = Shaking my face when

Which, to me, doesn't quite make sen— oh.

Corroborated by the alt text. "Wtfw it's like smho" - drop the w and o and you get "wtf it's like smh"

What a crazy world.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:01 am UTC

I interpreted SMFW as "so much fun when" with randall trying to confound us into parsing it, based on SMH, as "shaking my... uh... face?"
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:12 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:
Klear wrote:I don't get it. Urban dictionary says "Smoke More Fucking Weed" which makes sense...

Smoke more fucking weed an acronym almost makes sense. That doesn't make sense.

I presume the joke is on people who add on to existing abbreviations (if they're not just making their own up from scratch). In this case, "My Face When" with an unexplained S. People use a lot of obscure abbreviations on the internet. It kind of annoys me. That's probably why I like today's comic so much.

Well, the acronym makes sense, the whole sentence doesn't. I still don't get it though. Was Randall unaware there's the Weed thing when he wrote this comic?

orangustang

Postby orangustang » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:16 am UTC

How I read it in my head:
[Shake my face when] an acronym almost makes sense
Title text:
[What the fuck when] it's like [shake my head off] [to be fucking honest], [Internet Movie DataBase].

Gibberish, of course, but that's the closest I could get to the most common internet acronyms, which is sort of the point.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:20 am UTC

After reading explain xkcd, I have hit upon the following compromises:

SMFW - So Much Face When
WTFW - What The Feel When
SMHO - Shake My Humble Opinion
TBFH - To Be Fairly Honest
IMBD - In My DataBase
Last edited by bachaddict on Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:21 am UTC

Doesn't it only count as an acronym if it's meant to be pronounced out loud? NASA, SCUBA, UNCLE, etc.

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I presume the joke is on people who add on to existing abbreviations (if they're not just making their own up from scratch). In this case, "My Face When" with an unexplained S. People use a lot of obscure abbreviations on the internet. It kind of annoys me. That's probably why I like today's comic so much.

The worst ones are when people decide to abreviate proper names. Once in a blue moon it becomes so ubiquitous that pretty much everyone on the Internet knows what you're talking about immediately (MS, DOTA, ... uh SMBC maybe?) but the other 99% of the time it's just annoying as hell. I've taken to just making sarcastic guesses as to what they mean because it's still less effort than trying to figure out what movie, video game, TV show, band, episode of a TV show, video game mod, webcomic, or fanfic they might be talking about (assuming I even have a clue which of those things it is).
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:38 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Doesn't it only count as an acronym if it's meant to be pronounced out loud? NASA, SCUBA, UNCLE, etc.

TTATT!
Spoiler:
This, this, and thrice this!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Kaelin

Postby Kaelin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:38 am UTC

So much fun when So many fucking ways an acronym almost makes sense.
Write the fucking words it's like so much harder on the bloody fucking hands, imdb.

(That's the best I can do.)

[EDIT: I like this version better since it intensifies the repetition swear.]
Last edited by Kaelin on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:00 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:54 am UTC

TOSSFM,OGLFM!

Hey Armstrong, we spent 25 billion sending you to the moon, and you leave out the "A".

Story

Postby Story » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:56 am UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:I presume the joke is on people who add on to existing abbreviations (if they're not just making their own up from scratch). In this case, "My Face When" with an unexplained S. People use a lot of obscure abbreviations on the internet. It kind of annoys me. That's probably why I like today's comic so much.

The worst ones are when people decide to abreviate proper names. Once in a blue moon it becomes so ubiquitous that pretty much everyone on the Internet knows what you're talking about immediately (MS, DOTA, ... uh SMBC maybe?) but the other 99% of the time it's just annoying as hell. I've taken to just making sarcastic guesses as to what they mean because it's still less effort than trying to figure out what movie, video game, TV show, band, episode of a TV show, video game mod, webcomic, or fanfic they might be talking about (assuming I even have a clue which of those things it is).[/quote]

You can usually guess based on context. But occasionally there is confusion, especially when the forum is not a discussion dedicated to said show/game/whatever. Off the top of my head, I know I've seen Star Control 2 and Star Craft 2 mixed up before.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:59 am UTC

orangustang wrote:How I read it in my head:
Title text:
[What the fuck when] it's like [shake my head off] [to be fucking honest], [Internet Movie DataBase].

Gibberish, of course, but that's the closest I could get to the most common internet acronyms, which is sort of the point.
Yeah, they're just common acronyms with one additional initial. (Maybe we're talking "initialisms", Steve the Pocket.)

SMF is what orangustang wrote, but I've never heard it.
WTF is what orangustang wrote.
MHO is "my humble opinion".
TBH is what orangustang wrote.
IMDB is what orangustang wrote, but does not include an extra initial. It's a non sequitur. A more common one is BBQ, like ROFLWTFBBQ.

Edit:
Oh, wow. explain xkcd had a bad initial explanation (pun intended), but now has a really good one.

exkcd wrote:The acronym itself is eerily close to a number of other acronyms commonly used, including: "SFW" (meaning "safe for work", denoting that something does not have suggestive content), "MFW" (meaning "my face when...", setting up for a user's reaction to something: possibly the intended replacement for the caption at the bottom of the comic), "SMF" (meaning "so much fun") and "NSFW" (meaning "not suitable for work", the opposite of "SFW"). Because "SMFW" is so familiar to these other acronyms, for some it would intuitively feel like "SMFW" has its own meaning. The title text contains more examples of imaginary acronyms of similar nature:
"WTFW" is a combination of "WTF" ("What the fuck?") and "TFW" ("That feel when...", used in a similar nature to "MFW"), and possibly "FTW" ("For The Win")
"SMHO" is a combination of "SMH" ("shake my head") and "IMHO" ("In my humble opinion...")
"TBFH" is a combination of "TBF" ("to be fair") and "TBH" ("to be honest")
"IMDB" is, of course, the Internet Movie Database, but also resembles abbreviations such as "IMHO" ("in my humble opinion") and "IDK" ("I don't know")

This makes more sense as to the allusion of the acronym almost making sense, therefore they're all essentially portmanteau acronyms and have both meanings simultaneously.
Last edited by azule on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:18 am UTC

Story wrote: SMBC maybe?

Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council?

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:29 am UTC

azule wrote:
Spoiler:
orangustang wrote:How I read it in my head:
Title text:

Yeah, they're just common acronyms with one additional initial. (Maybe we're talking "initialisms", Steve the Pocket.)

SMF is what orangustang wrote, but I've never heard it.
WTF is what orangustang wrote.
MHO is "my humble opinion".
TBH is what orangustang wrote.
IMDB is what orangustang wrote, but does not include an extra initial. It's a non sequitur. A more common one is BBQ, like ROFLWTFBBQ.

Edit:
Oh, wow. explain xkcd had a bad initial explanation (pun intended), but now has a really good one.

exkcd wrote:The acronym itself is eerily close to a number of other acronyms commonly used, including: "SFW" (meaning "safe for work", denoting that something does not have suggestive content), "MFW" (meaning "my face when...", setting up for a user's reaction to something: possibly the intended replacement for the caption at the bottom of the comic), "SMF" (meaning "so much fun") and "NSFW" (meaning "not suitable for work", the opposite of "SFW"). Because "SMFW" is so familiar to these other acronyms, for some it would intuitively feel like "SMFW" has its own meaning. The title text contains more examples of imaginary acronyms of similar nature:
"WTFW" is a combination of "WTF" ("What the fuck?") and "TFW" ("That feel when...", used in a similar nature to "MFW"), and possibly "FTW" ("For The Win")
"SMHO" is a combination of "SMH" ("shake my head") and "IMHO" ("In my humble opinion...")
"TBFH" is a combination of "TBF" ("to be fair") and "TBH" ("to be honest")

"IMDB" is, of course, the Internet Movie Database, but also resembles abbreviations such as "IMHO" ("in my humble opinion") and "IDK" ("I don't know")
This makes more sense as to the allusion of the acronym almost making sense, therefore they're all essentially portmanteau acronyms and have both meanings simultaneously.

Could they be... Malamanteau acronyms?!
Last edited by bachaddict on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his