1468: "Worrying"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Dr What
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:43 am UTC

1468: "Worrying"

Postby Dr What » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:48 am UTC

Image
title="If the breaking news is about an event at a hospital or a lab, move it all the way over to the right."


If "nosebleed" is right after "getting knocked out by a punch", move it to the same place.

Eutychus
Posts: 448
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 am UTC
Location: France

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:48 am UTC

I'm worried by my inability to distinguish between perceived sources of concern and actual sources of concern.

But I'm also worried by the idea that if I were to worry about actual (rather than perceived) sources of concern, I'd be even more worried on a daily basis than I already am.

Just put me down as an anxious type.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

WilliamLehnsherr
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:58 am UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby WilliamLehnsherr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:49 am UTC

Yeah, it's always bothered me how movies downplay how serious getting knocked out is yet seem to think nosebleeds are the worst thing in the world.

There's a lot of other things, but those two bother me and are mentioned in the comic. So yay me for sticking to the topic (I'm sure movies would depict going off topic as something much worse than it is).

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:55 am UTC

"We interrupt your current programming for this important breaking story: NOSEBLEEEEEEED!!!!"

sotanaht
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby sotanaht » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:10 am UTC

Dr What wrote:If "nosebleed" is right after "getting knocked out by a punch", move it to the same place.

If the nosebleed is in a japanese movie, especially anime, move it all the way left.

Brandesianisme
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:31 am UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Brandesianisme » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:14 am UTC

I actually started making this before deciding to read the text

Image

User avatar
jonhaug
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby jonhaug » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:55 pm UTC

I don't get the "chest wound" thing. Do movies worry differently between wounds on right and left side?

User avatar
Coyoty
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Coyoty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:17 pm UTC

Should I be more worried about that meteor sighting reported on the evening news?

User avatar
Yubtzock
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:37 pm UTC
Location: Breslau/Wrocław

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Yubtzock » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:51 pm UTC

I have a feeling there is going to be interactive, traversable and editable version over on TvTropes some time soon.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:09 pm UTC

My contributions.

Whirrying.png
Whirrying.png (29.66 KiB) Viewed 9856 times

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Angua » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

jonhaug wrote:I don't get the "chest wound" thing. Do movies worry differently between wounds on right and left side?

In movies people tend to keep going if it's on the right, whereas they tend to be on the verge of piercing the heart if it's on the right.

Have people ever noticed that there are two main blood groups in movies - AB- (it's the rarest blood group, oh noes, or given as the reason why our heroine is so irresistible to vampires) and O- (don't worry, I can give them blood in this convoluted scenario)
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3103
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:31 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Have people ever noticed that there are two main blood groups in movies - AB- (it's the rarest blood group, oh noes, or given as the reason why our heroine is so irresistible to vampires) and O- (don't worry, I can give them blood in this convoluted scenario)

I was watching some pre-DNA whodunnit recently where they used the blood group to incriminate someone - and I don't think it was a particularly rare group, either. In fairness, though, they were using it to put pressure on the suspect, who might not necessarily have understood that it only provided a few millibits of evidence.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
squall_line
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 am UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby squall_line » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:56 pm UTC

WilliamLehnsherr wrote:Yeah, it's always bothered me how movies downplay how serious getting knocked out is yet seem to think nosebleeds are the worst thing in the world.

There's a lot of other things, but those two bother me and are mentioned in the comic. So yay me for sticking to the topic (I'm sure movies would depict going off topic as something much worse than it is).


To be fair, the nosebleeds in most movies are usually a visual indication of some sort of hemorrhagic fever or other terminal ailment. Ear-bleeds, too, although those would also be up pretty high vertically on the chart, near "...on your Left Side".

Additionally, the nosebleeds in Scanners and in Fifth Element were quite worrisome, indeed.

Boilerplate
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:05 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Boilerplate » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:35 pm UTC

In real life, the presence of a fruit cart on a public sidewalk means slight worry about produce being overpriced.

In the movies, it means great worry that an out of control vehicle is about to crash through imminently.

(Hat tip to Roger Ebert).

samuel.emmett.bray
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:35 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying" Errata

Postby samuel.emmett.bray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:44 pm UTC

Right Sided Chest Wound should be positioned adjacent to Left Sided Chest Wound as it is only SLIGHTLY less worrying than the other.
Both are fatal w/o immediate transport to a trauma center.

Cheers :D
--Samuel

fifiste
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby fifiste » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:52 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
jonhaug wrote:I don't get the "chest wound" thing. Do movies worry differently between wounds on right and left side?

In movies people tend to keep going if it's on the right, whereas they tend to be on the verge of piercing the heart if it's on the right.

Have people ever noticed that there are two main blood groups in movies - AB- (it's the rarest blood group, oh noes, or given as the reason why our heroine is so irresistible to vampires) and O- (don't worry, I can give them blood in this convoluted scenario)



In real life it is vice versa - Type 0 is a general donor and usually quite rare* while the AB blood type is suitable only for other AB types and also rare. Generally in today's medicine they tend to avoid transfusions between different groups anyway or so I have heard just giving 0 to 0 A to A etc.

*The blood cells will have neither A nor B antigens and therefore do not trigger hosts immune reaction to them. Genetically it is a recessive trait manifesting for people who have two alleles both code no production of antigen. That counts for the rarity part.
If either allele or both would be coding you'd get A,B or AB types. (A0=A,AA=A,B0=B,BB=B and then the rarer ones 00=0 and AB=AB)

Bounty
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Bounty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:09 pm UTC

jonhaug wrote:I don't get the "chest wound" thing. Do movies worry differently between wounds on right and left side?


In the movies, a chest wound on the right side means your opponent is trying to kill you; a chest wound on the left side might mean your heart has be pierced.

In the real world, a chest wound to either side means you're bleeding into your lungs, and likely going into shock.

scotty2haughty
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:53 am UTC
Location: 3 feet from gold

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby scotty2haughty » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:31 pm UTC

As a chronic nose-bleeder, it has always bugged me that in most movies, people with cancer/AIDS/etc are perfectly fine, except for their SOLE VISUAL SYMPTOM: a NOSEBLEED.

X-files and Prison Break come to mind, but many shows do this.

Don't worry, everyone in my office, it's just a nose bleed. I'm not dying. I'm not sick. I'm not an alien. Don't call an ambulance. I don't need a blood transfusion.
/s/

User avatar
bachaddict
Handel Played it Better
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:18 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby bachaddict » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:32 pm UTC

scotty2haughty wrote:As a chronic nose-bleeder, it has always bugged me that in most movies, people with cancer/AIDS/etc are perfectly fine, except for their SOLE VISUAL SYMPTOM: a NOSEBLEED.

X-files and Prison Break come to mind, but many shows do this.

Don't worry, everyone in my office, it's just a nose bleed. I'm not dying. I'm not sick. I'm not an alien. Don't call an ambulance. I don't need a blood transfusion.

That's because of the Deadly Nosebleed trope. (warning, TvTropes)
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

sotanaht
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby sotanaht » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:11 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:Should I be more worried about that meteor sighting reported on the evening news?


Nah, the heroes are sure to prevent its impact at the last second, no need to fret at all.

In real life, it probably isn't even headed for earth, or if it is it's probably too small to really worry about.

Sunidesus
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 pm UTC
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Sunidesus » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

The breaking news one made me laugh.

Mostly because I work in TV news and the "Breaking News" phrase overwhelmingly translates to "thing that happened in the two hours before the newscast started, probably not actually important but happened more recently than the other stuff in the newscast".

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:12 pm UTC

Bounty wrote:
jonhaug wrote:I don't get the "chest wound" thing. Do movies worry differently between wounds on right and left side?


In the movies, a chest wound on the right side means your opponent is trying to kill you; a chest wound on the left side might mean your heart has be pierced.

In the real world, a chest wound to either side means you're bleeding into your lungs, and likely going into shock.


Or means something hit your rib cage and got stopped - which is, after all, the entire point of ribs - to avoid taking damage to the organs we really, really can't do without...

armandoalvarez
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 am UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby armandoalvarez » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

fifiste wrote:
Angua wrote:"Have people ever noticed that there are two main blood groups in movies - AB- (it's the rarest blood group, oh noes, or given as the reason why our heroine is so irresistible to vampires) and O- (don't worry, I can give them blood in this convoluted scenario)

In real life it is vice versa - Type 0 is a general donor and usually quite rare* *The blood cells will have neither A nor B antigens and therefore do not trigger hosts immune reaction to them. Genetically it is a recessive trait manifesting for people who have two alleles both code no production of antigen. That counts for the rarity part.
If either allele or both would be coding you'd get A,B or AB types. (A0=A,AA=A,B0=B,BB=B and then the rarer ones 00=0 and AB=AB)


Just because a trait is recessive doesn't mean it's rare. Type O blood in general is quite common: http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-abou ... lood-types It's the majority or plurality blood type for the major ethnic groups in the United States. Type O negative (the true universal donor) is much rarer than O positive, but it's still 8% of the white population. O positive people can still donate to everyone except O negative.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby addams » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:35 am UTC

We need to Talk.
...You spilled your drink.

It's so funny.
We are all susceptible to TV Trope Educations.

The Truth is an Open Pneumothorax in real life Sucks.
They say, when a lung collapses, it hurts.
Is it the pleura that hurts? It's sensitive.

In the Movies our hero can stumble on,
talking on the phone and giving orders.

Until he gets a Nosebleed,
then it's all over for that one.

The best TV Trauma Team knows they are beat when the Nosebleeds.

We need to talk, is very close to an open chest wound.
Why? Words don't hurt That much. Do they?

How soon we forget.
Sticks and Stones can break my bones.
Words can break my heart.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Arancaytar
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: 52.44°N, 13.55°E
Contact:

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Arancaytar » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:29 pm UTC

I still remember being amazed when looking at an anatomical chart for the first time in middle school and learning that the heart is actually not directly below the left collarbone shoulder as I previously thought.

Also: The far belated realization that almost every part of us is made up of insanely complicated nano-engineering and blood vessels, and there is pretty much no place that can safely absorb a direct hit with a bullet without being potentially life-threatening or permanently crippling. That kind of sucked.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Image

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5943
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Angua » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:40 pm UTC

armandoalvarez wrote: O positive people can still donate to everyone except O negative.
Or anyone who is A-, B- or AB-...

I mean, technically, O+ can donate to anyone if they've never been given blood before. It mainly turns into a problem if they're going to become pregnant in future, or if they've received + blood before.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Flumble » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:12 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:Also: The far belated realization that almost every part of us is made up of insanely complicated nano-engineering and blood vessels, and there is pretty much no place that can safely absorb a direct hit with a bullet without being potentially life-threatening or permanently crippling. That kind of sucked.

Were you thinking of artificially-grown-thigh-based armour?

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26828
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:11 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I was watching some pre-DNA whodunnit recently where they used the blood group to incriminate someone - and I don't think it was a particularly rare group, either. In fairness, though, they were using it to put pressure on the suspect, who might not necessarily have understood that it only provided a few millibits of evidence.
Even without the Rh factor, blood type can give anywhere from 1ish bit (for O) up to 5 (for AB, depending on race).

Not enough to pick one person out of a city, of course, but definitely useful if other evidence narrows it down to just a small handful of suspects, several of which can be ruled out by blood type.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby addams » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:21 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:Also: The far belated realization that almost every part of us is made up of insanely complicated nano-engineering and blood vessels, and there is pretty much no place that can safely absorb a direct hit with a bullet without being potentially life-threatening or permanently crippling. That kind of sucked.

Were you thinking of artificially-grown-thigh-based armour?

You Posters are hysterical.

Arancaytar; Define that Bullet.
A 9mm hollow point is going to do some damage. That's true.
A 22mm is going to sting and piss someone off, unless you hit them 'just right'.

We can absorb a lot of BB's.
Not so many 22mm.
Very few 9mm.

You are Male?
So many men think, Bullet=BOOM!

It does not have to.
For some people it becomes an ethics issue.
Is it better to Kill or Wound?

I shoot to hit the paper plate!
Paper plates, Beware.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6892
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby ucim » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:27 am UTC

addams wrote:I shoot to hit the paper plate!
Paper plates, Beware.
Are you a good shot?

Should the innocent paper cups nearby quiver in fear? What about the soda bottle on the other table?

Well, soda bottles are never innocent.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

User avatar
ManaUser
Posts: 284
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby ManaUser » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:13 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Or means something hit your rib cage and got stopped - which is, after all, the entire point of ribs - to avoid taking damage to the organs we really, really can't do without...

I think most of us were kind of assuming wounds from bullets (which aren't usually stopped by ribs) but the chart doesn't actually say that, so fair point.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby addams » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:25 am UTC

ucim wrote:
addams wrote:I shoot to hit the paper plate!
Paper plates, Beware.
Are you a good shot?

Jose

No. I don't think so.
Therefore; I should Never aim toward living things.
And; I tell them so.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:35 am UTC

addams wrote:
ucim wrote:
addams wrote:I shoot to hit the paper plate!
Paper plates, Beware.
Are you a good shot?

Jose

No. I don't think so.
Therefore; I should Never aim toward living things.
And; I tell them so.


How many living things are on the surface of a typical paper plate? To say nothing of airborne micro-organisms... Avoiding aiming toward living things is tricky.

Even if you restrict it to living things larger than the bullet, you still have to wonder what's behind the back wall of the range... And, of course, there's always ET - if your aim direction is a semi-quasi-infinite cylinder (depending on the universe's boundary conditions, it may or may not actually be semi-infinite) - which is very generous - it should probably be a quasi-infinite cone instead - then what with the Earth's rotation and assorted other motion, if you hold your point of aim for a second, your already mind-bogglingly vast volume of aimed-towards space is increased by an impressive factor as your aim-direction sweeps through space. How many alien lifeforms flash through your aim-direction before you pull that trigger?

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10332
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby addams » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:42 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
How many living things are on the surface of a typical paper plate? To say nothing of airborne micro-organisms... Avoiding aiming toward living things is tricky.

Even if you restrict it to living things larger than the bullet, you still have to wonder what's behind the back wall of the range... And, of course, there's always ET - if your aim direction is a semi-quasi-infinite cylinder (depending on the universe's boundary conditions, it may or may not actually be semi-infinite) - which is very generous - it should probably be a quasi-infinite cone instead - then what with the Earth's rotation and assorted other motion, if you hold your point of aim for a second, your already mind-bogglingly vast volume of aimed-towards space is increased by an impressive factor as your aim-direction sweeps through space. How many alien lifeforms flash through your aim-direction before you pull that trigger?

You make so many good points.

When I missed the broad side of the barn, where did that bullet go?
Did it Pop! into a different Reality? Did it hurt anyone? ...I wonder.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Jackpot777
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:26 pm UTC

Brandesianisme wrote:I actually started making this before deciding to read the text

Image


Hospotal?

User avatar
Coyoty
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby Coyoty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:36 pm UTC

Nosebleeds are also a sign you're unstuck in time and need an anchor. And a tissue.

User avatar
HES
Posts: 4896
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby HES » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:Hospotal?

Ho spot Al. It's a movie plot device where the antihero (Al) is seen by an old victim (a prostitute he once wronged), who seeks some form of (heel-empowered) revenge.
He/Him/His Image

User avatar
ucim
Posts: 6892
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:23 pm UTC
Location: The One True Thread

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby ucim » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:07 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:Nosebleeds are also a sign you're unstuck in time and need an anchor.


I read that as "...and need an actor." I was momentarily puzzled, and amused.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3655
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:19 am UTC

On the nosebleed thing:

There are some medical problems which achieve "lethal even with treatment" before they reach the stage of "I don't feel so good". If you want to signal one of those to the audience, a nosebleed isn't a crazy option. Bloody diarrhea is more alarming in real life, but less acceptable to portray on the silver screen...

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26828
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1468: "Worrying"

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:45 am UTC

It's not always portrayed as worrying, but it reminds me of the fact that, out of all the things that can possibly cause nausea and vomiting, just about the only reason a female character is ever shown throwing up in the morning is if she's pregnant.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leovan and 96 guests