1475: "Technically"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

JimsMaher

1475: "Technically"

Postby JimsMaher » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 am UTC

title= "Technically that sentence started with 'well', so--" "Ooh, a rock with a fossil in it!"

Technically, there exists a possibility for linguistically substantive contributions being made via clarifying the descriptive nature of a statement prior to its utterance, when the relevance of that clarifying is conditionalized upon a deontological semantic framework.

Envelope Generator

Re: 1475: "Technically"

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:28 am UTC

Previously in XKCD 1475:

"Are you on drugs?"
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:04 am UTC

After I started to read the title of the comic I sort of wandered off and became distracted. Can anyone tell me what this comic was about?

speising

Postby speising » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:After I started to read the title of the comic I sort of wandered off and became distracted. Can anyone tell me what this comic was about?

Technically, it's about Randall feeling snarkly superior again.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 am UTC

Adverb abuse should be at least a Class D misdemeanor.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:05 am UTC

I could be wrong, but it sounds a bit similar to a previous comic. Something something can ignore them now.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:17 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Adverb abuse should be at least a Class D misdemeanor.

Perhaps so, but I don't think technically is a frequent victim of abuse. It's an extremely useful sentence adverb, which allows you to agree with the general thrust of what somebody has said whilst pointing out a nicety that they may or may not be aware of and which might be important. So, yes, you might be able to ignore it, depending on what level of correctness or detail you want to operate at. Suppose somebody says "What country is Utrecht in? It's Holland, isn't it?" and you say "Well, technically the country is the Netherlands". Applying Munroe's Law might lead to a mistake in a visa application, or get you off on the wrong foot in a business deal, or make your love letter arrive too late.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:18 pm UTC

You are technically correct -- the best kind of correct.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

chilepepper

Postby chilepepper » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

Technically, he started his sentence with "well", not "technically".

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:16 pm UTC

Reminds me of "Um, Actually", the game show where nerds correct nerds.

The Devils Engineer

Postby The Devils Engineer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:32 pm UTC

Technically, I like this comic.. Does that mean I should ignore myself? :D
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”
“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”

― Mark Twain

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

- "Technically, I will try to seduce your girlfriend tonight, unless you have an objection."
- "Look, there are three magpies in that tree."
- "Indeed. Thank you. See you later, then."
- "Right." (Hm, I womder if I missed anything important? No, probably not.)
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

Well played with the alt text. Got me.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

But is it wise to ignore that the WHG is a drug user?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:47 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:- "Technically, I will try to seduce your girlfriend tonight, unless you have an objection."
- "Look, there are three magpies in that tree."
- "Indeed. Thank you. See you later, then."
- "Right." (Hm, I womder if I missed anything important? No, probably not.)
You get to write the next comic, congrats!

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:14 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:After I started to read the title of the comic I sort of wandered off and became distracted. Can anyone tell me what this comic was about?

Technically, 'snarkly' isn't a word, but that's fine around here.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:48 pm UTC

azule wrote:I could be wrong, but it sounds a bit similar to a previous comic. Something something can ignore them now.

Actually, it's a lot like the "Actually" strip. Technically, it's not exactly the same.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

Spoiler:

It's sort of like the Cueball in "Technically" has broken free of the endless "Actually" circle.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm UTC

Technically, I could write whatever I want now and no-one who follows the advice in the comic would ever read it, so I can safely say that they all smell (except any who happen to be anosmic)

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:29 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:
speising wrote:

Well, except that "-ly" is a standard English affix that can be added freely to words, to turn them into adverbs. Of course, this is normally only done when the combination makes sense, which it does in this case. So "snarkly" is indeed an English word, constructed from a well-known word by adding a standard suffix in an utterance where the result makes sense.

You normally don't find such words in a typical dictionary, but that doesn't mean it's not a word. They don't usually include entries for words that are formed regularly using the language's root words and affixes, because anyone with normal understanding of the language will know how to parse such words into their pieces to get the meaning.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:50 am UTC

jc wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
speising wrote:

Well, except that "-ly" is a standard English affix that can be added freely to words, to turn them into adverbs. Of course, this is normally only done when the combination makes sense, which it does in this case. So "snarkly" is indeed an English word, constructed from a well-known word by adding a standard suffix in an utterance where the result makes sense.

You normally don't find such words in a typical dictionary, but that doesn't mean it's not a word. They don't usually include entries for words that are formed regularly using the language's root words and affixes, because anyone with normal understanding of the language will know how to parse such words into their pieces to get the meaning.

Except that "-ly" is usually added to the adjectival form of a word - so it should be added to "snarky" rather than "snark" to give "snarkily" (not "snarkyly" due to another standard rule).

Indeed, Firefox's default spell-checker recognises "snarkily" as a valid word, but not "snarkly" (nor "snarkyly"). Of course, because it defaults to American, it also fails to recognise "recognise" or "recognises", insisting on the American forms "recognize" and "recognizes" but that's a separate issue.

kelly_holden

Postby kelly_holden » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:51 am UTC

jc wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:
speising wrote:

I'm pretty sure the root is "snarky", yielding "snarkily.
edit: dammit, too late.
My Firefox spell checker keeps setting itself back to US Eng, even though I have an Australian one installed.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
azule wrote:I could be wrong, but it sounds a bit similar to a previous comic. Something something can ignore them now.

Actually, it's a lot like the "Actually" strip. Technically, it's not exactly the same.
Sorta. But that one does the ignoring on the other side. "I'm ignoring you when I start my sentence with" Actually blah blah blah. "Technically" basically forces the other person to ignore them.

Or, I don't know what I'm talking about. *snooze*

Lye

Postby Lye » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:04 am UTC

Does anyone else get annoyed whenever WHG shows up? At least this isn't another one of the "WHG ineffectually tries to argue with Cueball, gets summarily demolished, Randall leaves the audience with Something to Think About" comics, but something about him irritates the heck out of me, with every appearance.

Even for a character whose entire purpose is to always be wrong, his dialogue just feels ... crude, somehow. Like I'm being bludgeoned: hey, this guy is obnoxious and dumb.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:58 am UTC

Lye wrote:Does anyone else get annoyed whenever WHG shows up? At least this isn't another one of the "WHG ineffectually tries to argue with Cueball, gets summarily demolished, Randall leaves the audience with Something to Think About" comics, but something about him irritates the heck out of me, with every appearance.

Even for a character whose entire purpose is to always be wrong, his dialogue just feels ... crude, somehow. Like I'm being bludgeoned: hey, this guy is obnoxious and dumb.

I've always wondered if there's supposed to be some sort of connection between him and BHG. Like, their hats suggest they'd be opposites of each other or something. But WHG doesn't seem to fit any of the criteria, honestly.

jigawatt

Postby jigawatt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:39 am UTC

"Lots of things can be well approximated by Newtonian equations. Technically though, the missile will follow a relativistic model which must be used in the guidance software, otherwise millions of innocent civilian casualties could occur."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:58 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:But is it wise to ignore that the WHG is a drug user?

I'd like to pick over WHG's premise. What defines a drug? Is it something to do with having a physiological effect that is disproportionate to the quantity of the substance that is consumed? Or is it to do with the nature of the effect? (E.g. magic mushrooms are allowed to be a drug even though apparently meal-sized amounts need to be ingested). Is incense a drug?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:07 pm UTC

Technically, only a portion of this building is on fire (so far), Mr. Munroe, but you should still evacuate immediately.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:33 pm UTC

jigawatt wrote:"Lots of things can be well approximated by Newtonian equations. Technically though, the missile will follow a relativistic model which must be used in the guidance software, otherwise millions of innocent civilian casualties could occur."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

Wait, what kind of payload does said missile have that could inadvertently kill millions of civilians? Most missiles don't have such a blast radius, and for weapons of mass destruction the entire point is to kill innocent civilians.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:59 pm UTC

Ah, been a while since Randall's dropped a straight-up smug bomb.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:02 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

I'd like to pick over WHG's premise. What defines a drug? Is it something to do with having a physiological effect that is disproportionate to the quantity of the substance that is consumed? Or is it to do with the nature of the effect? (E.g. magic mushrooms are allowed to be a drug even though apparently meal-sized amounts need to be ingested). Is incense a drug?

Screw incense. Is music a drug? It obviously depends on the definition, and I agree that Randall's (or, I guess, WHG's?) definition is quite suspect.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:17 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Screw incense. Is music a drug? It obviously depends on the definition, and I agree that Randall's (or, I guess, WHG's?) definition is quite suspect.

I don't know. Is music a substance?

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
Klear wrote:
orthogon wrote:

I don't know. Is music a substance?

Does a drug need to be a substance?

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:31 pm UTC

Technically it's about aliens in police gaming 'murica humanism.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:34 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Does a drug need to be a substance?

Both the OED's and WHG's definitions agree that yes, it does, at least when speaking literally. In figurative use it can be anything; but that depends what the meaning of "is" is.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:35 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
jigawatt wrote:"Lots of things can be well approximated by Newtonian equations. Technically though, the missile will follow a relativistic model which must be used in the guidance software, otherwise millions of innocent civilian casualties could occur."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

Wait, what kind of payload does said missile have that could inadvertently kill millions of civilians? Most missiles don't have such a blast radius, and for weapons of mass destruction the entire point is to kill innocent civilians.

Technically. But in this case we wan't to make sure we MOSTLY kill rebels, infidels, terrorists and their supporters. However, the missile won't understand that instruction. We have to tell it everyone we DON'T want it to kill, for it to understand where it isn't, and only then can we be sure of where it is. Technically innocent civilians casualties will still occur.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:36 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Adverb abuse should be at least a Class D misdemeanor.

Yeah hopefully that will happen someday.

chilepepper wrote:Technically, he started his sentence with "well", not "technically".

Right - as he acknowledged in the title text. (Hover over comic to read it.)

orthogon wrote:Is music a substance?

Depends on the type, I think. Ask any old fogey, they'll tell you the problem with modern music is its lack of substance.

Anyway the WHG working definition of drug seems to be along the lines of what the anti-fluoriders use to say the government shouldn't "drug people against their will" in the water supply. Technically, I guess, inorganic mineral substances can be drugs too. Whatever.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote: Technically, I guess, inorganic mineral substances can be drugs too. Whatever.

Lithium Carbonate is undoubtedly a drug, and although it contains carbon I don't think it's really organic. Lithium Chloride (same wiki page) is definitely inorganic but as a drug it "fell out of use in the 1940s when it was discovered [it was] toxic".

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:

"Yeah, yeah, whatever."

Technically. But in this case we wan't to make sure we MOSTLY kill rebels, infidels, terrorists and their supporters. However, the missile won't understand that instruction. We have to tell it everyone we DON'T want it to kill, for it to understand where it isn't, and only then can we be sure of where it is. Technically innocent civilians casualties will still occur.

A single instance of the missile may only kill a few hundred innocent civilians, but it's rare to construct only a single instance of a given weapon.

Also, technically, "casualties" needn't be fatalities - if someone gets a bit of grit in their eye well downwind of the blast, that's borderline for being a casualty...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:A single instance of the missile may only kill a few hundred innocent civilians, but it's rare to construct only a single instance of a given weapon.

Also, technically, "casualties" needn't be fatalities - if someone gets a bit of grit in their eye well downwind of the blast, that's borderline for being a casualty...

What if we launch the missile on Friday, when we're allowed to wear jeans to work?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”