1476: Ceres

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Plasma Mongoose

1476: Ceres

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:31 am UTC

Hovertext: Earth clearly hasn't been inspected, since it's definitely contaminated with salmonella.

Who would have thought...
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Psykar

Re: 1476: Ceres

Postby Psykar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:33 am UTC

I'm clearly missing a reference. Came here to find out what it was, to find there was no thread yet.

Refreshed for a bit because I'm too lazy to create it myself - now - someone fix my ignorance? =(

Dr What

Postby Dr What » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:45 am UTC

I'm not sure. I guess I should say, eggcellent?

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:50 am UTC

I don't think there are any references beyond the probe and manufacturer's inspection stickers.

That said, Earth was probably inspected by No. 2. No. 2's always do a terrible job and get replaced.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:53 am UTC

Psykar wrote:I'm clearly missing a reference. Came here to find out what it was, to find there was no thread yet.

Refreshed for a bit because I'm too lazy to create it myself - now - someone fix my ignorance? =(

Dawn is a NASA probe to investigate, among other things, Ceres, a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt. Previous pictures of Ceres have shown a weird light spot, which stands out quite strongly in the pictures already taken by Dawn. As far as I'm aware, no-one is quite sure just yet exactly what it is.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:46 am UTC

I'm hoping that the white spot is a cryovolcano.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:35 am UTC

I'm sure the joke was actually in reference to something else entirely, but the first thing it brought to mind was this extremely old flash animation

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:40 pm UTC

Once upon a time, there was a widower who married a proud and haughty woman for his second wife. He had a beautiful young daughter from his first marriage, who was cast into servitude by her wicked stepmother and two jealous stepsisters, and forced to sleep with the fishes, and would so arise covered in the roe of the salmon whose friend she had become, giving rise to her mocking nickname...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:52 pm UTC

Of course it was inspected by that rebellious Number 6. The question is, "Who is Number One?"

Does Ceres look like a floppy underinflated beachball?

ETA:
Ceres is and will always be classified as an asteroid. Why? Because we already have a World Ceres. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:The question is, "Who is Number One?"

William T Riker?
flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:08 pm UTC

Beavertails wrote:

William T Riker?

:mrgreen:

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:10 pm UTC

It's a reference to an old ad campaign by Hanes. Look up "Hanes inspector 12" on youtube for examples.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:12 pm UTC

Beavertails wrote:

William T Riker?

Kids these days... :cry:
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

eleniy86

Postby eleniy86 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:24 pm UTC

it could be the death star

Image vs Image

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:54 pm UTC

eleniy86 wrote:it could be the death star

Image vs Image

No, Mimas is the death star.

odog1999

Postby odog1999 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:01 pm UTC

I want Randall's enhance button.

eleniy86

Postby eleniy86 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:18 pm UTC

Coyoty wrote:
eleniy86 wrote:it could be the death star

Image vs Image

No, Mimas is the death star.

maybe it's ANOTHER death star!

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:20 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:I don't think there are any references beyond the probe and manufacturer's inspection stickers.

That said, Earth was probably inspected by No. 2. No. 2's always do a terrible job and get replaced.

I think you meant to say that "No. 2's always do a crappy job and get replaced." ;)

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 pm UTC

odog1999 wrote:I want Randall's enhance button.

You can't just link to TV Tropes without warning people! I had things to do today....

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:58 pm UTC

phlip wrote:
Psykar wrote:I'm clearly missing a reference. Came here to find out what it was, to find there was no thread yet.

Dawn is a NASA probe to investigate, among other things, Ceres, a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt. Previous pictures of Ceres have shown a weird light spot, which stands out quite strongly in the pictures already taken by Dawn. As far as I'm aware, no-one is quite sure just yet exactly what it is.

I'm more confused by the sticker. What is that? Who of what is #6?

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:03 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Hovertext: Earth clearly hasn't been inspected, since it's definitely contaminated with salmonella.

Those two last words were unnecessary.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Of course it was inspected by that rebellious Number 6.

HE WILL NOT BE NUMBERED!

"You are[,] Number Six."

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Beavertails wrote:

William T Riker?

Kids these days... :cry:

It's like they live in a bubble.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:46 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:[,]

Okay, that's worth a keanu_reeves_whoa.jpg. Never occurred to me.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:56 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:
Flumble wrote:[,]

Okay, that's worth a keanu_reeves_whoa.jpg. Never occurred to me.

Reminds me of my all-time favorite use of an apostrophe. There was this wine company (Gallo) whose ad slogan was "We will sell no wine before its time."

Some wag stuck an apostrophe to make "it's" , quite grammatically and operationally accurate.
Former OTTer

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:Reminds me of my all-time favorite use of an apostrophe. There was this wine company (Gallo) whose ad slogan was "We will sell no wine before its time."

Suddenly I get a reference from an old Weird Al song ("Dare To Be Stupid"): "You better put all your eggs in one basket / You better count your chickens before they hatch / You better sell some wine before its time / You better find yourself an itch to scratch". The rest of those are obvious common idioms but I never got that one line.

(I also recently finally got the joke in "I Want A New Duck", where he wants a duck who'll "show me how to get down". He even repeats "how to get down" and shouts "GET IT!?" and I never got it until a few months ago. Down. Like, feather down. He wants a duck who will instruct him in how to obtain pillow stuffing. Because that stuff comes from ducks and the like. Wow I feel dumb.)
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

a9s

Postby a9s » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:13 pm UTC

I thought no one else outside of NASA cared about Ceres. Thanks for proving me wrong, Randall!

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:43 pm UTC

Wilson Greatbatch was inspector number one. I worked at his pacemaker battery factory in 1978 and 1979. It is now diversified and trades under the symbol WGL on the NYSE. Back then it was a much smaller company. I was a high school student. My first summer job was to prepare documents for microfilming. Which is a fancy way of saying that I was a professional staple puller. Many of the documents were inspection records. Every part of every battery was inspected many times. Each inspection was recorded showing the date and time of the inspection, the serial number of the part (or lot number of the raw materials), and of course, the inspector's number. Some inspectors used rubber stamps with their number, others wrote their number.

The inspections were recorded on paper, not on the batteries themselves. It is too much work to open up a patient to read the inspection records off of the pacemaker battery. Also, the batteries are pretty small, and there were a lot of inspections. It worked pretty well, they had made more than 360 thousand batteries by the time I moved on. One of those failed at incoming inspection at a pacemaker factory, and just one had problems in a patient. The voltage dropped too fast on the bad one, so it need to be replaced a few years early. It was a slow enough process that the patient had plenty of time to schedule the operation. There are very few physical products that have less than a 1 in 100,000 failure rate over their five year life. Pacemaker batteries have a much longer design life these days.

In the early days of the company, the employee number was the inspector number. This wasted a bunch of two digit numbers, so after a few dozen employees, only inspectors got inspector numbers. I met quite a few of the inspectors at the time, but I've forgotten who was who, except for #1 and #7. #7 was a long time employee who worked in the same area of the building as I did.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:18 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Wow I feel dumb.
How dare you?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Krealr

Postby Krealr » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm UTC

a9s wrote:I thought no one else outside of NASA cared about Ceres. Thanks for proving me wrong, Randall!

I'm not sure Randall, as a former NASA employee, really qualifies as "outside of NASA".

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:57 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:(I also recently finally got the joke in "I Want A New Duck", where he wants a duck who'll "show me how to get down". He even repeats "how to get down" and shouts "GET IT!?" and I never got it until a few months ago. Down. Like, feather down. He wants a duck who will instruct him in how to obtain pillow stuffing. Because that stuff comes from ducks and the like. Wow I feel dumb.)
Haha, don't you love that? "GET IT?" and you fucking don't? haha. Awesome. I don't think I've ever listened to that song intently (not a favorite), so I never even thought I was to be worried about getting anything.

"Put your down down" from Duckman I didn't get until years later, though. I just didn't understand that word, "down". Same joke.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:58 pm UTC

Krealr wrote:
a9s wrote:I thought no one else outside of NASA cared about Ceres. Thanks for proving me wrong, Randall!

I'm not sure Randall, as a former NASA employee, really qualifies as "outside of NASA".

Well, I for one as a civilian am looking forward to seeing more of Ceres. Seeing close up images of strange new worlds within our own solar system pretty much always excites me (when I was growing up, I wanted to be the first human to visit Mars. I would still love to leave this planet and visit another world someday). I am also looking forward to the Pluto flyby, and am rather disappointed that that probe will not be orbiting Pluto to study it long term.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:11 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:There was this wine company (Gallo) whose ad slogan was "We will sell no wine before its time."

Some wag stuck an apostrophe to make "it's" , quite grammatically and operationally accurate.

It's grammatical and operational either with or without the apostrophe. Not so the sentence A wise cat knows it[']s master. The version without the apostrophe is grammatical, but anyone familiar with cats recognizes that it's semantically nonsense.

Sir Dancelot

Postby Sir Dancelot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

Hovertext: Earth clearly hasn't been inspected, since it's definitely contaminated with salmonella.

Earth is contaminated with humans.

niauropsaka

Postby niauropsaka » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:54 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:(I also recently finally got the joke in "I Want A New Duck", where he wants a duck who'll "show me how to get down". He even repeats "how to get down" and shouts "GET IT!?" and I never got it until a few months ago. Down. Like, feather down. He wants a duck who will instruct him in how to obtain pillow stuffing. Because that stuff comes from ducks and the like. Wow I feel dumb.)

...I didn't get it either, and I'm definitely old enough to remember the original Huey Lewis song, "I Want a New Drug."

One of those things that's really obvious to some, and not at all obvious to others.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:10 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:It's grammatical and operational either with or without the apostrophe. Not so the sentence A wise cat knows it[']s master. The version without the apostrophe is grammatical, but anyone familiar with cats recognizes that it's semantically nonsense.

Depends on the context. Consider the unlikely event that a wise cat is second in strength and agility to another cat in the vicinity.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:49 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
da Doctah wrote:It's grammatical and operational either with or without the apostrophe. Not so the sentence A wise cat knows it[']s master. The version without the apostrophe is grammatical, but anyone familiar with cats recognizes that it's semantically nonsense.

Depends on the context. Consider the unlikely event that a wise cat is second in strength and agility to another cat in the vicinity.

Still wouldn't consider the other cat its master though. I don't consider Usain Bolt to be my master either.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 am UTC

Klear wrote:
Flumble wrote:

Still wouldn't consider the other cat its master though. I don't consider Usain Bolt to be my master either.

Then again, Usain Bolt isn't in your vicinity and, even if he were, he would not try to assert his dominance by scratching your eyeballs out if you don't show your obedience.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:08 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Then again, Usain Bolt isn't in your vicinity and, even if he were, he would not try to assert his dominance by scratching your eyeballs out if you don't show your obedience.

Cats do not form clear-cut social hierarchy like canines do, though. One cat may be stronger, but that doesn't mean the others will consider themselves to be its underlings.

StClair

Postby StClair » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:23 am UTC

Sir Dancelot wrote:Hovertext: Earth clearly hasn't been inspected, since it's definitely contaminated with salmonella.

Earth is contaminated with humans.

"The carbon-unit infestation is to be removed from the Creator's planet."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”