1476: Ceres

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

squall_line

Re: 1476: Ceres

Postby squall_line » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Flumble wrote:Then again, Usain Bolt isn't in your vicinity and, even if he were, he would not try to assert his dominance by scratching your eyeballs out if you don't show your obedience.

Cats do not form clear-cut social hierarchy like canines do, though. One cat may be stronger, but that doesn't mean the others will consider themselves to be its underlings.

Dogs don't form clear-cut social hierarchies, actually. The whole myth of the "Alpha Dog" has been the subject of much debunking over the last decade or so. Much of the early study that led to the "alpha dog" theory was flawed, and it's now more accepted that the relationships as seen in nature are parent/child relationships, not alpha/subordinate relationships.

By the same token, one could argue that a pride of lions or other wild cats belies the idea of cats not having a social hierarchy.

The ways in which humans tend to anthropomorphize animals and assign human traits to their behaviour has many pitfalls, not the least of which are spurious conclusions such as "these animals have clear-cut social heirarchies, these animals share a hive mindset, these animals mourn the loss of their peers, these animals are total assholes."

StClair

Postby StClair » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:00 pm UTC

ah, but that last is totally true with respect to wasps, dolphins, and (possibly) humans.

ysth

Postby ysth » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:13 pm UTC

"Buy Jupiter!"
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:15 pm UTC

StClair wrote:ah, but that last is totally true with respect to wasps, dolphins, and (possibly) humans.

On the contrary: in my experience, wasps have been very civilised. One time I even trod on one (accidentally, and managed to avoid putting my full weight on it at the last moment) and, instead of seeking vengeance for almost crushing it, instead it wobbled away with no evidence of hard feelings.

ctdonath

Postby ctdonath » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:23 pm UTC

Was this one of Slartibartfast's apprenticeship works, or was he demoted to moon inspector?

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:52 pm UTC

Astronomy Picture of the Day is taking a poll about the big white spot.
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=34460

I already told them....
A childhood spent walking while reading books has prepared me unexpectedly well for today's world.

Boson Collider

Postby Boson Collider » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:31 pm UTC

Alright. New JPL picture, which resolves the white spot into two tiny white spots.

Now that's just weird:
Attachments
ceres2.png
ceres2.png (57.89 KiB) Viewed 3964 times

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:59 pm UTC

Boson Collider wrote:Alright. New JPL picture, which resolves the white spot into two tiny white spots.

ceres2.png

Now that's just weird:

<Picture of Ancient Aliens guy goes here>
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

speising

Postby speising » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:27 pm UTC

Boson Collider wrote:Alright. New JPL picture, which resolves the white spot into two tiny white spots.

Now that's just weird:

it's obviously a specular reflection off an ancient alien spaceship.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:27 pm UTC

{image of Death Star main gun starting to fire} (I'm too lazy to figure out how to find and link in an appropriate image)

pelrigg

Postby pelrigg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:08 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Psykar wrote:I'm clearly missing a reference. Came here to find out what it was, to find there was no thread yet.

Refreshed for a bit because I'm too lazy to create it myself - now - someone fix my ignorance? =(

Dawn is a NASA probe to investigate, among other things, Ceres, a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt. Previous pictures of Ceres have shown a weird light spot, which stands out quite strongly in the pictures already taken by Dawn. As far as I'm aware, no-one is quite sure just yet exactly what it is.

Also, it used to be you'd sometimes find slips of paper in new clothes that said "Inspected by Number <#>" as a quality control. (As others earlier in the thread have said.)
I seem to remember hearing about one particular inspector who's exploits were reported in a national magazine over the course of several months. He (she?) would add little notes to the "Inspected By" tag like: "Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. The price stupid, not the crotch." (Which also happens to be the only one I remember.)

And I have to admit I missed the "No. 6" reference until I saw the remarks others had made. (As I look over at my DVD shelf with "The Prisoner" box set on it and go Image .)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic {bestowed by BlitzGirl: NP 1315}

We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:51 am UTC

Now that's just weird:
Spoiler:

Those white dots are tiny. For them to have whitened the whole crater in the lower resolution shots means they are very bright indeed. Presumably above the 255 255 255 value for the camers.
:shock: Those are lasers!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Andries

Postby Andries » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:49 pm UTC

Better yet, go to the address shown in that screenshot: http://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html

1.25 day ping time to VGR2!
39b/sec download rate from KPLR!

Your home internet service doesn't sound so bad by comparison.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”