1506: "xkcloud"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

algorerhythms

Re: 1506: "xkcloud"

Postby algorerhythms » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:21 pm UTC

It randomly generated this one that works pretty well:
http://xkcd.com/1506/#post/db6e6d43-1b2 ... ba0d227e94
The nerdy webcomic that I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:41 pm UTC

I don't think it randomly generates them (though I could be wrong). Somebody likely chose to pair that caption with that image.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:08 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/1506/#post/fdd6b4c4-f528-5502-bab4-ade0e7e1cfaf

One more xkcd strip to save and come back to later.

eidako

Postby eidako » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

http://xkcd.com/1506/#post/dbe49154-fe7 ... fd8d29cf6d

If I am interpreting this correctly, dolphins are flying into the sky, where an inverted skyscraper (spaceship?) with crosses on top (bottom?) is levitating and the happy sun is winking. I want to believe the entire image is upside-down but waves don't crest downward.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference?

ThirdParty

Postby ThirdParty » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:21 pm UTC

This is awesome, it's like a bunch of simultaneous games of "Telephone". I've seen some pictures which are obviously related to one another--two pictures of people with carrots stabbing their faces, two pictures of a bird carrying a pen (including a very well-done one in which it's parrying a sword, kudos to whoever drew that), at least three pictures of asteroids striking the Earth, etc. I drew a picture in response to a caption about a "hip mustache", and later saw a picture of a guy with a mustache attached to his pants, so evidently someone else was responding to the same caption I responded to. I drew a picture about the 9-11 attack, in response to a caption not directly related to it, and a few hours later saw a different 9-11 picture.

I wonder how many captions and how many pictures the comic was originally seeded with. It wouldn't have taken very many to result in the diversity that we see now. I also wonder whether Randall is keeping track of the family trees of the submissions--it would be interesting to see how the concepts evolve.

eidako

Postby eidako » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:26 pm UTC

mrob27

x-k-c-loud? I can't hear anything… do I need RealPlayer 27?

Postby mrob27 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:05 am UTC

Oh yeah, they're hacking the upload protocol again...

http://xkcd.com/1506/#post/dad0c6f0-9de ... fc4c985e0b

(Attached, in case it goes bye-bye)

Spoiler:
188862ea-289c-5a46-9917-9dc300ca8fbd.png
It's x-k-c-loud!

post-188862ea-289c-5a46-9917-9dc300ca8fbd.png
This one is xkc-loud-er
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:53 am UTC

eidako wrote:http://xkcd.com/1506/#post/dbe49154-fe70-59b5-81b7-bbfd8d29cf6d

If I am interpreting this correctly, dolphins are flying into the sky, where an inverted skyscraper (spaceship?) with crosses on top (bottom?) is levitating and the happy sun is winking. I want to believe the entire image is upside-down but waves don't crest downward.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a hitchhiker's reference. Looks like the dolphins leaving before the destruction of Earth by the Vogons. The spaceship is probably the Vogon spaceship.

tarry

Postby tarry » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:33 am UTC

Is it possible that hitting the like-permuted buttons is what controls whether/how often an image/caption resurfaces?

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:49 am UTC

Are the various computers in the second panel of the main strip something we should be trying to id?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

ggrohmann

Postby ggrohmann » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:20 am UTC

MJZimmer88 wrote:My surprisingly not terrible yet still pretty terrible contribution...

LOL, Close enough.

Every time from now I drop tables in my databases at work any co-worker will hear it.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:06 am UTC

Could use some new features.

1. The most "liked" picture / caption combos showing up the most on the newsfeed after you submit one (not the highest numbers of likes, but the highest percentage of likes relative to how often it's been shown) - but still with some randomness
2. The ability to specifically browse the news feed as per above, to see popular picture / caption combinations. (aka, funny ones, aka, the reason we're here at this comic! :) )
3. The pictures involved in getting the most likes being the most likely ones to be offered up for new captions, and likewise for the most popular captions showing up the most often - but again, with plenty of randomness.
4. An ability to see how other people have captioned your pictures (sorted by number of likes)
5. An ability to see what pictures you captions have been tagged to (sorted by number of likes)
6. The ability to do #4 and #5 with any arbitrary picture or caption - just click on it to see where else it's been used, sorted by likes. That way you can click through the game of telephone to see how memes morph.
7. The more often people choose a particular caption for a picture (or vice versa), the more often it shows up as an option to choose.
8. If at least X (say,3 ) people chose the same picture / caption combination, AND that combination makes up at least a given percentage (say, 40%) of user choices, then that image and caption should be considered as "recovered". They would then cease showing up as options for recovery, but they'd still appear on the timeline (it wouldn't affect any other cases where users had tagged the image or caption with a different caption or image).

Still, pretty fun! :)

eidako

Postby eidako » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Are the various computers in the second panel of the main strip something we should be trying to id?

From Explain XKCD: "(from left to right) a Macintosh Classic, several old laptops, an Alienware tower, a Nintendo VirtualBoy, some sort of radio transmitter, and an Atari Pong Console."

desetgled

Postby desetgled » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 am UTC

I'm surprised nobody commented yet on the chat room that has now been removed.

So... yeah. I thought the chat room was fun. It seems that it has now been removed.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:21 am UTC

Now I'm really wishing I could view my older contributions. I drew a great Data (from Star Trek) the other day. Because, you know, the goal of the comic is to recover Data, right? ;) But now I don't get to see it again.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:21 pm UTC

After my first few I started saving each picture as I finished it, once I realized it was unlikely that I would see the drawings again.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

measure

Postby measure » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

I did some testing using Chrome browser on my PC by repeatedly refreshing the page and clicking the "Click Here" button. From what I've seen, it has only one text and one picture option at a time. Whether you get the text or the picture depends on exactly what time you loaded the original page, alternating every second (i.e. on an odd second you get a text, even you get a picture). Every 40 seconds or so, and new text and a new picture become available. Also, if you choose one of the options rather than immediately refreshing the page, you get a new text or picture without having to wait 40 seconds, but again which one you get depends on the time of making the selection.

In Safari on my iPad, the behavior seems to be similar, but the two possible options are not the same as those for Chrome at the same time. Also, in Safari, the selection buttons sometimes fail to load properly, especially when selecting pictures for a text post. Sometimes tapping a selection does nothing at all and won't do anything until I reload the page, and sometimes it does the "button press" animation, but has no effect (in this case, sometimes it will eventually work after pressing the button repeatedly for a while or trying a different choice).

Curious to see where this all goes.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:31 pm UTC

I'll stick with Drawception.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 am UTC

Klear wrote:I'll stick with Drawception.

I can't play Drawception without trolling it. I've tried. Seriously set out to play it right. Always end up just inventing new and original ways to troll the game.

Strangely, I can manage it here just fine. I think the suggested pictures / captions helps when you're uninspired.

ggh

Postby ggh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:02 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:I can't play Drawception without trolling it. I've tried. Seriously set out to play it right. Always end up just inventing new and original ways to troll the game.

Strangely, I can manage it here just fine. I think the suggested pictures / captions helps when you're uninspired.

By trolling it, do you mean that you deliberately misunderstand the picture or caption? I could see myself doing that, but I don't play, 'cause I can't draw to save my life.
Requested a magnet? I'm sorry I'm so super-slow, but you will get it
Agatha the Awesomeful

In a Comically Tragic Turn of Events Addams Didn't Die. Please help. (Wait, does that sound like I want you to kill addams?)

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:52 pm UTC

ggh wrote:
KarenRei wrote:we can't play Drawception without trolling it. we've tried. Seriously set out to play it right. Always end up just inventing new and original ways to troll the game.

Strangely, we can manage it here just fine. we think the suggested pictures / captions helps when you're uninspired.

By trolling it, do you mean that you deliberately misunderstand the picture or caption? we could see ourselves doing that, but we don't play, 'cause we can't draw to save our life.

Example: Here was my response to "My insurance doesn't cover giant mushrooms":

https://drawception.com/panel/drawing/A ... mushrooms/

Which of course, led to this afterwards:

https://drawception.com/viewgame/fTZbeh ... rds-helix/

;) Here's about the most serious I've ever gotten (the thing to draw was "Republican elephant":

https://drawception.com/pub/panels/2015 ... 7BTx-8.png

ggh

Re: 1506: "xkWatchOutForThoseRocks"

Postby ggh » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:25 am UTC

Okay, that was not what I had in mind. That was much better. :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”