1508: “Operating Systems”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

commodorejohn

Re: 1508: “Operating Systems”

Postby commodorejohn » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

pault151, you are a man after my own heart.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

pjx1

Postby pjx1 » Tue May 26, 2015 11:41 pm UTC

Sorrow for the lack of the Workbench OS. I miss my Amiga to this day.

danix

Postby danix » Wed May 27, 2015 12:58 am UTC

pault151 wrote:No operating systems IN MY HOUSE prior to AmigaOS, which did everything I could desire from 1986-nearly 2000. Need something from *nix, or later X terminal? Someone had already ported it over. That OS and hardware is SO efficient, and with a 24bit graphics card still browsed smoothly. But C= shot themselves too many times, hardware development died, I had to pick up a Windows machine finally. Had the software for browsing advanced quicker, I might never have gone Windows. At home.

I was also wondering about the lack of the 8-bit era OSen. The C-64 one, Apple and MSX had the BASIC thingy, and while not a full-fleged OS, the KERNAL (no mistype there) did have syscalls for most I/O operations. MSX had MSX-DOS in later years, which is exactly what it sounds like: a DOS port for the MSX architecture.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

Actually, MSX-DOS was a verswion of CP/M updated with MS-DOS-like features, such as the FAT12 filesystem and (eventually) subdirectories. Of course, MS-DOS itself started out as basically a clone of CP/M, so...
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”