1510: "Napoleon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

saurgoth

1510: "Napoleon"

Postby saurgoth » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:09 am UTC

Truly outstanding mouseover text on consecutive comics.

"Mr. President, what if the unthinkable happens? What if the launch goes wrong, and Napoleon is not stranded on the Moon? " "Have Safire write up a speech."
Last edited by saurgoth on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

pushingrobot

Re: 1510: "Napoleon"

Postby pushingrobot » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:53 am UTC

2285: Our scientists have invented a device that reduces all the matter in a light-year's radius to subatomic particles, then implodes it to an immense spherical heap. It is our hope that this may finally get rid of him.

As a side benefit, the debris pile may be suitable for colonization.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:58 am UTC

Napoleon was the Houdini of Hitlers.

Dr What

Postby Dr What » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:09 am UTC

Ouch.
Now I'm worrying about Opportunity.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:05 am UTC

Your thread title is correct, but please add the comic image and mouseover text!
Use this code if you don't know how.

Code: Select all

[url=http://xkcd.com/1510/][img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/napoleon.png[/img][/url]
[i]"Mr. President, what if the unthinkable happens? What if the launch goes wrong, and Napoleon is not stranded on the Moon? " "Have Safire write up a speech."[/i]

Edit: thank you!
Last edited by bachaddict on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:53 am UTC

So this is the motivation behind the one-way Mars expedition. Very clever, this way we'll have a functional spaceship wharf and launch site there in no time.

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:22 am UTC

If exiling Napoleon in space, presumably the standard cast-iron ball-and-chain will be replaced with a special lightweight magnesium alloy one. And he'd have to be issued with a very odd-looking pressure suit.

Although, exposing a troublesome ex-artillery officer to rocketry might have unwelcome consequences.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 am UTC

Why is the US president involved in exiling Napoleon? Weren't France and the US allies in that time?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:50 pm UTC

Presumably, this is an alternate universe where World Wars I & II are territorial bids by France. Or Napoleon, rather, because they're certainly not synonymous, given France rejected dictatorship after Napoleon's defeat.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

valar84

Postby valar84 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Napoleon was the Houdini of Hitlers.

With regards to comparisons between Napoléon and Hitler, there is no bigger insult to the former nor greater compliment to the latter.

Napoléon took power when France was attacked by nearly all the monarchies of Europe because it had dared remove from power those who were family to some extent to almost all royal leaders, and these were deathly afraid of the ideal of republicanism spreading to their own countries. Napoléon's wars aimed at forcing these attackers to stand down or take them out of power. It is important to point out that Napoléon never broke a peace treaty, British machinations were responsible for most of the Napoleonic Wars. British propaganda created in the 19th century is still largely responsible for the poor image Napoléon has in the anglosphere.

Apart from that, Napoléon was one of the first, if not THE first, European leaders to give equality to Jews and to give them full citizenship. The civil law (the Napoleonic code) he had written and put in place in France influenced the civil laws of dozens of countries and is still the basis of the legal systems of a few of them.

Sure, he was ambitious and put his family and friends in power in various puppet states he had conquered, but that was no worse (and no better) than the other heads of states at the time.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:59 pm UTC

The post above is why I think the Nostradamus people are nuts for putting Napoleon in the same "Antichrist" category as Hitler. You know, besides the whole predicting the future in four line poems by staring in to a pot of water thing.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:03 pm UTC

In the 1927 silent film "Napoléon vu par Abel Gance", I vaguely recall Napoleon standing on a rock overlooking the crashing surf, and a cue card with "my friend the ocean". So we know his friend the ocean brought Napoleon back from St. Helena and Antarctica; how friendly is vacuum?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:20 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:Your thread title is correct, but please add the comic image and mouseover text!

He has 3 total posts, and thus cannot properly start a comic thread, since he can't use links. Some mod will have to put a magically-pre-dated comic link post ahead of the initial post. (Or just start a new thread so this one can be killed off/merged in.) I think this is the first time this forum's version of the "FIRST!!!11!!one!" post has had this issue...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

This reminded me of the following episode of Northern exposure.
(Careful, this website was Recreated in 2002, and stems back to it's original form from the 1990s) in The Body in Question our learned liberals living in idyllic Alaskan malaise discover a body frozen in a block of ice, which they begin to believe may be Napoleon.
A slightly fancier website Alaskan Riviera "The Body In Question"
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

Putting Napoleon on the moon is nice and all, but what happens if he takes control of the Space Dragon?

OTOH - just the image of Napoleon riding a space dragon back to Earth would be totally worth the devastation.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Why is the US president involved in exiling Napoleon? Weren't France and the US allies in that time?
At the time of Kennedy (who made the referenced speech)? Definitely. But Napoleon's history had diverged by 100 years by that point.

At the time of Napoleon? We were neutral. We had a war with Britain, and a quasi war with the first republic of France.
Copper Bezel wrote:Presumably, this is an alternate universe where World Wars I & II are territorial bids by France. Or Napoleon, rather, because they're certainly not synonymous, given France rejected dictatorship after Napoleon's defeat.
I'd say Italy. If we extend the Italian Unification war from unifying Italy, to trying to unify everything, the timeline sort of works out to the first antarctic expeditions.

Also, in this context "World Wars I & II " should be refereed to as "International civil war III". The first one being the war from 1618 to 1648 between Catholic and protestant members of the Holy Roman Empire. The second one being the extended conflict over the nature of France's government which Napoleon ended up leading.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Raineer

Postby Raineer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

The octopus in the third frame.

Awesome.

DanD

Postby DanD » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:33 pm UTC

valar84 wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:Napoleon was the Houdini of Hitlers.

because it had dared remove from power those who were family to some extent to almost all royal leaders, and these were deathly afraid of the ideal of republicanism spreading to their own countries.

I don't have a problem with Napoleon in particular, but don't you think it might have had something to do with the First Republic executing their cousins, not just the deposition? This might also explain, to some extent, why they were so afraid of republicanism.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:12 am UTC

Valar84 wrote:Apart from that, Napoléon was one of the first, if not THE first, European leaders to give equality to Jews and to give them full citizenship. The civil law (the Napoleonic code) he had written and put in place in France influenced the civil laws of dozens of countries and is still the basis of the legal systems of a few of them.
Not to mention Louisiana.
I heard King Richard of Great Britain, the last Plantaginet if I got the name wrong, made some positive changes such as introducing the concept of bail. So even the most vilified rulers had their good points.

Sprocket wrote:This reminded me of the following episode of Northern exposure.
(Careful, this website was Recreated in 2002, and stems back to it's original form from the 1990s) in The Body in Question our learned liberals living in idyllic Alaskan malaise discover a body frozen in a block of ice, which they begin to believe may be Napoleon.

No. The body they found was Steve Rogers. Everyone knows that.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

LockeZ

Postby LockeZ » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:14 pm UTC

Another 15 years later, Napoleon would capture the Genesis Device, and escape from the moon to kill Spock.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:34 pm UTC

LockeZ wrote:Another 15 years later, Napoleon would capture the Genesis Device, and escape from the moon to kill Spock.

Psh. That's only the old timeline. We have yet to see if there will be a Genesis Project in the new timeline.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:
Sprocket wrote:This reminded me of the following episode of Northern exposure.

No. The body they found was Steve Rogers. Everyone knows that.

In that alternate universe comic, Marechal France!
And it's Stefane Rojers.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:26 am UTC

This would explain why insane asylums were known to harbor patients convinced they were Napoleon. They WERE Napoleon. And he kept escaping and being readmitted.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:21 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:
Valar84 wrote:Apart from that, Napoléon was one of the first, if not THE first, European leaders to give equality to Jews and to give them full citizenship. The civil law (the Napoleonic code) he had written and put in place in France influenced the civil laws of dozens of countries and is still the basis of the legal systems of a few of them.
I heard King Richard of Great Britain, the last Plantaginet if I got the name wrong, made some positive changes such as introducing the concept of bail. So even the most vilified rulers had their good points.

King Richard I of England, also known as Lionheart, was late 12th Century, and succeeded by his brother, King John, who signed the Magna Carta.

King Richard II of England was the last of the house of Plantagenet by some accountings and deposed by Henry Bolingbroke, who became King Henry IV of England.

King Richard III of England was the last of the house of York, or the last of the house of Plantagenet in other accountings (Lancaster and York were cadet branches of Plantagenet), and one of the least popular monarchs in English history.

The only ruling monarchs of Great Britain were Queen Anne and Kings George I-III, though King James VI and I styled himself "King of Great Britain, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, etc."

The concept of bail existed in England prior to the Statue of Westminster of 1275, which laid out which crimes were bailable and which not, though I've not traced it back further with any reliability. The only King Richard who could have introduced the concept to English law therefore was the Lionheart, generally regarded as one of the better English monarchs (though he ruled from France - it was under King John, known as Lackland, that England came to be governed from England - largely because he lost his other territories).

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:45 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I heard King Richard of Great Britain, the last Plantaginet if I got the name wrong, made some positive changes such as introducing the concept of bail. So even the most vilified rulers had their good points.

Not sure how letting people bribe their way out of jail — thus ensuring that a baseline of wealth was necessary to remain a part of civilized society between arrest and trial — was a good thing.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:20 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
RogueCynic wrote:
King Richard III of England was the last of the house of York, or the last of the house of Plantagenet in other accountings (Lancaster and York were cadet branches of Plantagenet), and one of the least popular monarchs in English history.
(...)
The concept of bail existed in England prior to the Statue of Westminster of 1275, which laid out which crimes were bailable and which not, though I've not traced it back further with any reliability. The only King Richard who could have introduced the concept to English law therefore was the Lionheart, generally regarded as one of the better English monarchs (though he ruled from France - it was under King John, known as Lackland, that England came to be governed from England - largely because he lost his other territories).

Richard III was most definitely the last male-line Plantagenet to rule England (or any part of Great Britain). And according to this,
Richard III is surely the most vilified and maligned king in English history. Despite the short length of his reign, however, there is ample evidence to show that Richard was a very able administrator and an enlightened lawmaker, who, had he survived, would have been remembered as one of England ’s finest monarchs.

In particular, the single parliament of his reign passed a number of statutes that clearly demonstrate Richard’s progressive and liberal attitude. Richard’s parliament assembled on the 23rd January, 1484. William Catesby presided as Speaker of the Commons and John Russell as Chancellor, delivered the opening address. In all, this parliament was to pass some 18 private statutes and 15 public ones and, significantly, this was the first time that parliamentary statutes were published in English, so that the ordinary people could read them and would know their rights.
(...)
The third statute, for example, decreed that no officer of the law could steal the goods of a prisoner until he was attainted. (...) It was also of major significance because it introduced the first system of bail which protected people suspected of felony from imprisonment before trial.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:19 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Richard III was most definitely the last male-line Plantagenet to rule England (or any part of Great Britain). And according to this,
Richard III is surely the most vilified and maligned king in English history. Despite the short length of his reign, however, there is ample evidence to show that Richard was a very able administrator and an enlightened lawmaker, who, had he survived, would have been remembered as one of England ’s finest monarchs.

In particular, the single parliament of his reign passed a number of statutes that clearly demonstrate Richard’s progressive and liberal attitude. Richard’s parliament assembled on the 23rd January, 1484. William Catesby presided as Speaker of the Commons and John Russell as Chancellor, delivered the opening address. In all, this parliament was to pass some 18 private statutes and 15 public ones and, significantly, this was the first time that parliamentary statutes were published in English, so that the ordinary people could read them and would know their rights.
(...)
The third statute, for example, decreed that no officer of the law could steal the goods of a prisoner until he was attainted. (...) It was also of major significance because it introduced the first system of bail which protected people suspected of felony from imprisonment before trial.

Like I said, there's a difference of opinion among historians whether to label Richard III as being of the House of York or of the House of Plantagenet.

As for bail, there was a concept of "bailment" in England in 1275 that was refined by the Statute of Westminster of 1275 - a codification of the existing law of England. The relevant portion being: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Prisoners_and_Bail_Act . Whether that constituted a "system of bail" is less clear, but it is certain that the concept of bail predates Richard III...

DanD

Postby DanD » Mon May 11, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Richard III was most definitely the last male-line Plantagenet to rule England (or any part of Great Britain). And according to this,

(...)

Richard III was intentionally portrayed as a villain by the Tudors once they took power, and much of what is "known" about him is based on that rather than on primary sources. This includes the most common popular portrayal, by Shakespeare who was writing under a Tudor monarch. What is available from his lifetime seems to suggest he was not a particularly bad king, although it varies. Of course, the issue of the princes in the tower and his potential usurpation of their throne and their subsequent disappearance did give his enemies a base to work from.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:02 am UTC

In this universe, the wind is being used/'blamed' for keeping zombie hydrophobic Naploeon confined...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”